Connect with us

Diaspora

Dilapidated Kenyan embassy buildings around the world to get Sh700m facelift

Published

on

It will cost taxpayers Sh700 million to renovate diplomats’ homes and offices in Washington D.C, London and New York as their poor state force ambassadors to rent premises.

The Treasury, in budget documents before Members of Parliament for review, says it will spend Sh250 million to renovate the high commissioner’s residence in London, Sh250 million (Washington D.C properties) and Sh200 million for New York homes and office.

Foreign Affairs ministry has recently indicated a change of plan from lease of space to property purchase as rental costs for embassies and consulates shoot to billions of shillings annually.

Diplomats in London and New York have been forced to rent homes as residences built by taxpayers fall apart due to neglect, the Auditor-General revealed last year.

Edward Ouko’s audit paints the sorry state of affairs in the country’s foreign missions and singled out the Kenyan embassies in Washington D.C, New York and London—which are the most prestigious diplomatic missions. This has forced the diplomats to rent homes in some of the world’s pricey cities, pushing the missions’ leasing costs to above Sh2 billion.

“No proper justification has been given for leasing residential houses considering that the Government of Kenya has houses for the ambassadors in New York and London except for failure to maintain these properties in habitable conditions,” said Mr Ouko.

READ ALSO:   Just like at home, getting passport for Kenyans abroad is a tough task

“An expenditure of Sh2.3 billion on lease of properties abroad could have been minimised if there was a clear policy on purchase or construction of government-owned properties for the missions.”

A recent parliamentary report said the building hosting the Kenyan Embassy in Washington D.C has greatly deteriorated. Compared to neighbouring structures, the property stands out as a neglected unit.

SOURCE: Businessdaily.co.ke

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Diaspora

EXPLAINED: Everything you need to know about applying for 2021 US Diversity Visa [VIDEO]

Published

on

Once again, up to 55,000 foreign nationals and their families from around the world will have a chance to legally immigrate to the United States and achieve the American Dream with a Green Card in hand in 2021, thanks to one of the Diversity Visa lottery Program. Although President Donald Trump is against it, that will not happen unless the law is changed…and the US is a land strictly governed by the rule of law.

The U.S. State Department, which administers the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program, better known as the visa lottery, announced Thursday that it will go ahead with the lottery for 55,000 diversity visas available for Fiscal Year 2021.

In case you missed it The US government announced Thursday that the registration period for DV-2021 will begin on Wednesday, October 2nd, 2019 at 12pm EDT and end on Tuesday, November 5th, 2019 at 12pm EST.

The winners will be drawn from random selection and there is no cost to register.

There is a limited period of time during which you can register for the Diversity Immigrant Visa (DV) Program during each fiscal year. Each year, the Department of State publishes detailed instructions for entering the DV Program. These instructions include the dates of the registration period during which you will be able to enter.

READ ALSO:   Long queues as Kenyans in US rush to beat Thursday deadline to acquire Huduma Namba at the Embassy in DC

All entries must be submitted electronically on the Electronic Diversity Visa (E-DV) website at www.dvlottery.state.gov during the specified registration period. No late entries or paper entries are accepted. The law allows only one entry by or for each person during each registration period. The Department of State uses sophisticated technology to detect multiple entries. If you submit more than one entry you will be disqualified.

Some changes have been made since the last such Lottery Program. Here is all you need to know:

Detailed guidance for completing the online entry form is included in the DV Instructions.

Please view our video for an introduction to the Diversity Visa program, and step-by-step guidance to help you submit an entry. (Note: minor changes have been made to the DV-2020 entry form, but the instructions provided in the video are still valid.)

After you submit a complete entry, you will see a confirmation screen containing your name and a unique confirmation number. Print this confirmation screen for your records. It is extremely important that you retain your confirmation number. It is the only way you can check the status of your entry, and you will need it to obtain further instructions or schedule an interview for a visa if you are selected.

READ ALSO:   Just like at home, getting passport for Kenyans abroad is a tough task

There is no cost to register for the DV Program. You are strongly encouraged to complete the entry form yourself, without a “Visa Consultant,” “Visa Agent,” or other facilitator who offers to help. If somebody else helps you, you should be present when your entry is prepared so that you can provide the correct answers to the questions and retain the confirmation page and your unique confirmation number.

Continue Reading

Diaspora

Two Kenyan Men in US Charged with Sexually Assaulting a Mentally Challenged Woman

Published

on

Two Kenyan men in Minnesota face felony charges after police say they sexually assaulted a woman with mental and physical impairments at the Mystic Lake Casino Hotel in March.

Francis Ndegwa Kamau, 39, of Spring Lake Park was arrested in Minneapolis and booked in the Scott County Jail on Aug. 8 in connection with third-degree felony criminal sexual conduct. Kamau’s arrest came three months after the county attorney filed charges against Kamau and Kenneth Wagacha Kibe, 37, of Burnsville.

According to Prior Lake Police and court records, the warrant for Kibe has not yet been served, and he has not been arrested.

Both men are charged with third-degree criminal sexual conduct for sexual penetration of a person who “is mentally impaired, mentally incapacitated, or physically helpless.” Each charge carries with it a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison, a fine of $30,000 or both.

The county’s criminal complaint states officers found multiple videos of the alleged assault and a text conversation about the victim on the men’s phones.

The woman has been diagnosed with “mild intellectual disabilities, unspecified congenital anomaly of musculoskeletal system (right hand), seizure disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, and depression,” and lives at a group home for people with cognitive and physical disabilities, according to the warrants.

The warrants allege that on the afternoon of March 30, Kamau and Kibe approached the woman while she waited at the casino buffet. The three chatted for a while before casino surveillance video shows them entering a hotel room for more than an hour.

The woman told police that when the group entered the hotel room, both men tried to have sex with her several times even though she told them to stop. During a sexual assault exam at St. Francis Medical Center the woman told a nurse that Kamau had told her he wanted to “give [you] a baby.”

Both Kamau and Kibe were at the casino when police arrived on the scene. During Kibe’s interview with officers, he said he had recorded a portion of the assault without Kamau’s knowledge.

Both men told police that they noticed the woman had a limp but did not realize that she had any cognitive disabilities.

Officers found and photographed “blood or other bodily fluid” and a condom wrapper on the bed sheets of the room.

In documents filed Aug. 9, Kamau said he had hired an attorney to represent him, though no attorney was listed on his case file at press time. His first court appearance is set for Oct. 21.

-SWNEWSMEDIA.COM

Continue Reading

Business

VIDEO: Chairlady of Kenya North America Diaspora Sacco K-NADS visits Mahiga Homes Projects

Published

on

Mahiga Homes Company continues to attract the attention of Kenyans living in the US and other countries in around the world following the successful completion of various projects in record time and handing over the keys to the owners.

Recently, the Chairlady of  Kenya North America Diaspora Sacco (K-NADS) Dr. Lucy Ndegwa Mackenzie, paid a courtesy visit to the company’s projects in Ruiru and Kenyatta road  and she expressed her satisfaction with the work they have undertaken so far.

“It is a great project especially because the roads really good,” said Dr Mackenzie.

Rock Gardens Ruiru‘s construction progress is on course. Some units are at foundation while most of them are at walling level and others at roofing level. The estate comprises of 75 luxurious 3 bedroom bungalows.

“As you will see in the video below, she was very impressed by the good work the trusted developer is doing, Said Peter Nyaga,” the Company’s CEO.

The projects currently on sale are:

Rockvilla III Estate in Joska. Deposit Ksh 1.6M

Osoit II Gardens in Kitengela: Deposit Ksh 1.7M.

The Riverfront in Ruiru: Deposit Ksh 2M.

 

K-NADS  currently has of over 1000 members women living in or has returned to Kenya from North America.

READ ALSO:   Kenyans in Diaspora react to Uhuru's order on E-passport application extension until March 2020

For more info Call/WhatsApp +254720460413

or visit www.mahigahomes.co.ke

Continue Reading

Are you looking for a Church to fellowship in Atlanta Metro Area?

poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!