Connect with us

Diaspora

Here is another chance for you to live and work in Canada

Canada’s May 1st Express Entry Draw Invites 3,350 Candidates to Apply for Permanent Residency, Targets 81,400 for 2019.

Published

on

In the latest draw held on Wednesday, May 1st, 2019 for the Express Entry program, the government of Canada has invited 3,350 candidates with Invitations to Apply (ITAs) for permanent residency.

Individuals who enter the drawing and are selected for ITA get a chance to apply for Canadian permanent residency.

The government sets a minimum score needed to qualify for each draw – Comprehensive Ranking system (CRS) score, which is based on such factors as age, education, skilled work experience, family ties in Canada, and fluency in either English or French. The minimum score for the May 1st draw was 450, a reduction of 1 point over the minimum score for the April 17th draw, in which another 3,350 candidates were invited for ITAs.

So far in 2019 Canada has issued 31,250 ITAs, against a target of 81,400 for fiscal year 2019.

Candidates who are issued ITAs are given 60 days to submit a complete application permanent residency as the first step towards moving to or remaining in Canada as a permanent resident.

Candidates who apply for Express Entry remain the the selection pool for 12 months if they are not immediately invited to apply. The government says while in the selection pool, the candidate can continue to improve his or her score by among other things gaining more relevant work experience, improving education level, improving language score, or getting a job offer in Canada.

READ ALSO:   SAD: Homeless Kenyan man dies in snow in US, family seeks answers

You can check if you meet the minimum score and also apply for Express Entry here.

In the latest draw held on Wednesday, May 1st, 2019 for the Express Entry program, the government of Canada has invited 3,350 candidates with Invitations to Apply (ITAs) for permanent residency.

Individuals who enter the drawing and are selected for ITA get a chance to apply for Canadian permanent residency.

The government sets a minimum score needed to qualify for each draw – Comprehensive Ranking system (CRS) score, which is based on such factors as age, education, skilled work experience, family ties in Canada, and fluency in either English or French. The minimum score for the May 1st draw was 450, a reduction of 1 point over the minimum score for the April 17th draw, in which another 3,350 candidates were invited for ITAs.

So far in 2019 Canada has issued 31,250 ITAs, against a target of 81,400 for fiscal year 2019.

Candidates who are issued ITAs are given 60 days to submit a complete application permanent residency as the first step towards moving to or remaining in Canada as a permanent resident.

Candidates who apply for Express Entry remain the the selection pool for 12 months if they are not immediately invited to apply. The government says while in the selection pool, the candidate can continue to improve his or her score by among other things gaining more relevant work experience, improving education level, improving language score, or getting a job offer in Canada.

READ ALSO:   Angry Kenyans in US accuse Ms Agutu of telling "White Lies" on popular US TV Show

You can check if you meet the minimum score and also apply for Express Entry here.

SOURCE: Mwakilishi.com

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Diaspora

MY STORY: Meet US-Based Kenyan man who has spent a Decade fighting Deportation [VIDEO]

Published

on

A Kenyan-born man who has been fighting deportation from the United States for the last 10 years has shared his story with the Voice of America (VOA).

Sylvester Owino is a small business owner  and a rights activist based in San Diego, California. His family owns Rafikiz Foodz — an authentic African food vendor offering “Kenyan food for your soul,” using fresh ingredients from the local farmers market.

Those who encounter Owino’s welcoming personality are not aware what happens once he is done working for the day. A convicted felon who robbed a shop, Owino is fighting to stay in the United States through an asylum case that has lasted nearly a decade.

Owino arrived in the U.S. from Kenya in 1998 on a student visa, leaving a country where he said he was beaten, jailed and threatened by the government.

Five years later, an addiction to alcohol and gambling derailed him.

“I was going to college, but I used to drink too much,” he said. “And I just quit college because of what had happened in my path and everything. I found this job after leaving college. I was working with disadvantaged people. And then I met some friends through work, and we started drinking after work, go to the casinos, and they introduced me to gambling,” he said.

During one of his last visits to the casino, he found himself out of money and decided to rob a nail salon. He was convicted of second-degree robbery.

“I thought I was going to get probation. And nobody ever explained to me the immigration consequences. So I took a plea, which gave me three years,” Owino said.

He completed a two-year prison sentence and was transferred to the Otay Mesa Detention Center, as Immigration and Customs Enforcement began removal proceedings.

While in detention, Owino began waging what became a more than nine year fight against deportation.

Resisting deportation in the Trump era

Owino is among the more than 1 million people who President Donald Trump has targeted for deportation, including many who were convicted of serious crimes.  Owino is an example of immigrants who broke the law and suffered consequences, but who turned their lives around and now are asking for a second chance to remain in the U.S.

READ ALSO:   Kenyans in Diaspora unable to send money home due to Safaricom countrywide network breakdown

However, the nation is sharply divided over immigration policy, and many Americans believe that people like Owino who were convicted of violent crimes should be deported back to their country of origin. Indeed, a Gallup poll earlier this year found that 37% of adults strongly favor or favor deporting all immigrants living in the U.S. illegally.

“It’s not right to have these cases dragged on forever, it’s not fair to anybody,” said Jessica M. Vaughan, director of policy studies for the Center for Immigration Studies, which backs Trump’s immigration policies. “On the other hand, we have no obligation to allow people to stay here if their behavior is causing problems in our communities. And if they disqualified themselves from the ability to stay here as a permanent resident,” then they have to accept the consequences of their behavior.”

 

 




 

Inside detention

Subject to mandatory immigration detention, Owino was not entitled to a bond hearing.

 

“When I got there, I was in a complete shock. I thought, ‘This was supposed to be better (than state prison,)’ but actually it was worse. … The officers treated us like we have no rights, like we are not human beings,” Owino said.

In a recent interview with reporters, David Fathi, director at ACLU’s National Prison Project, said most people do not think about mass incarceration and unhealthy conditions when they think of immigration detention.

“These are very vulnerable people. Many of them have suffered major physical and emotional trauma, beatings, starvation or rape, either in their home country or on their journey to the United States,” Fathi said.

Those who are “less” traumatized often suffer from cultural dislocation, family separation and the stresses of incarceration, including overcrowding and solitary confinement.

FILE - U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents surround and detain a person during a raid in Richmond, Va.
FILE-U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents surround and detain a person during a raid in Richmond, Va.

A Homeland Security inspector general report released at the beginning of the month showed that U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) had failed to meet government standards for housing migrant detainees at multiple facilities in 2018.

READ ALSO:   Help Atlanta-based Kenyan woman in immigration custody fight for her freedom

Investigators conducted unannounced inspections at the Adelanto ICE Processing Center in California, the LaSalle ICE Processing Center in Louisiana, the Essex County Correctional Facility in New Jersey), and the Aurora ICE Processing Center in Colorado.

Poor conditions in facilities

At one of the facilities, inspectors saw mold throughout all the walls in the bathroom area, including shower stalls, ceilings, mirrors, and vents, and warned that prolonged exposure to mold and mildew can cause long-term health issues or allergic reactions.

 

ICE sent a statement to VOA saying the agency “appreciates” the efforts of the Office of Inspector General and that it concurs” with the report’s recommendation and the corrective actions detailed in the report.

“The safety, rights and health of detainees in ICE’s custody are paramount,” ICE said.

On the solitary confinement issue, ICE said the use of restrictive housing in ICE detention facilities is “exceedingly rare, but at times necessary,” to ensure the safety of staff and individuals in a facility.

ICE’s policy to use “special management units” — or solitary confinement cells — is to protect detainees, staff and contractors from harm by segregating certain detainees from the general population for both administrative and disciplinary reasons.

The agency’s spokesperson added that in 2013, ICE issued a directive titled “Review of the Use of Segregation for ICE Detainees,” which requires agency reporting, review, and oversight of every decision to place detainees in segregated housing for over 14 days, and requires immediate reporting and review of segregation placements when heightened concerns exist based on the detainee’s health or other factors.

To Liz Martinez, director of advocacy and strategic communications at Freedom for Immigrants, a nonprofit that has been monitoring the conditions at ICE facilities for years, nothing in the OIG report is “new.”

“The people who are in immigration detention and call us on our free hotline have been reporting these kinds of abuses all the time.” she said.

READ ALSO:   US-Based Scholar Passes Away in Kenya after Flash Flood Accident

Martinez said the “egregious” violations the OIG found are human rights violations.

“They keep happening over and over again, and no one is held accountable,” she added.

Freedom for Immigrants maintains an up-to-date map of the U.S. immigration detention system with more than 200 immigrant prisons and jails across the country.

According to government data, in fiscal year 2018, about 396,448 people were initially booked into an ICE detention facility, an increase of 22.5% from 2017. ICE’s interior enforcement efforts resulted in a 10% increase in book-ins resulting from ICE arrests.

Freedom for Immigrants’ website shows that 60% of people are held in privately run immigrant prisons.

According to ACLU experts, detained immigrants are the fastest-growing sector of the incarcerated population, from about 35,000 during the Obama years to 52,000 now.

“That’s well above the 45,274 that Congress funded for fiscal year 2019,” Shah said.

 Fighting deportation

After having his case go to the Board of Immigration Appeals twice, and then to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, Owino was granted bond with the help of Freedom for Immigrants.

He said it was difficult fighting a deportation case from detention, since unlike in criminal proceedings, immigrants are not entitled to court-appointed attorneys.

Though there were days he thought about accepting deportation, Owino said he decided to make a plan for himself, instead.

“I was scared to go back (to Kenya) based on what happened to me. … I set a program for myself. I thought, ‘If I get out, no more drinking.’ So, I stayed away from that, and that was my No. 1 priority,” he told VOA.

Owino’s next court date is in September. In the meantime, he enjoys the company of his wife and 11-month-old daughter.

He acknowledges he made serious mistakes in his life, but sees himself as an example of what could happen if detained immigrants are given an opportunity to rebuild their lives.

“I’m just blessed, you know?”

SOURCE: VOA

Continue Reading

Diaspora

59-year-old Kenyan man in US faces up to 20 years jail term after pleading guilty to fraud

Published

on

A Kenyan who lives in Ohio, USA risks being jailed for over 20 years for fraud.

Mr Robert Mutua Muli, 59, a Kenyan immigrant, this week admitted to have conspired with other Kenyans to defraud various county governments in the US Sh60 million by posing as employees of a leading IT company called Fairfax County.

American investigators are also in pursuit of the other suspects who are believed to be hiding in Kenya.

ACCOMPLICES

Muli told the Alexandria Federal Court that he worked in cahoots with people who are in the country to defraud various counties in the US, namely Philadelphia, Detroit and Vermont.

In his statements the suspect said that a co-conspirator in Kenya would send an email to a contact in the local governments pretending to be an employee of a leading IT firm and asked local governments to redirect payments of services to a different bank account.

Mr Muli’s role was then to withdraw the money and make transfers to various accounts.

POLICE ALERTED

According to the Washington Post, the fraud took place between August and September 2018.

Fairfax County raised the alarm when it realized that it had not received payments for services it rendered and alerted the police.

“In September 2018, Fairfax County identified a financial fraud and immediately reported the incident to law enforcement,” county spokesman Tony Castrilli told the court.

READ ALSO:   US government releases the number of Kenyans sworn in as Citizens last year - 2,685

Muli of Carrollton, Ohio, struck a plea bargain Monday with federal prosecutors in Alexandria, Virginia. Under the plea deal, Muli admitted that he conspired to commit wire fraud against four separate state and local governments. He faces up to 20 years in prison when he is sentenced in October

According to court documents, Muli would submit phony invoices to the governments’ finance departments. The invoices were made to resemble legitimate bills from vendors like Dell Computers.

The biggest victim was an unidentified local government in Virginia, which lost more than $610,000. The state of Vermont lost $3,900.

SOURCE: Agencies

Continue Reading

Diaspora

Body of Kenyan student who died in US to be flown home for funeral

Published

on

The body of Ms Norah Jelagat Borus, a Stanford University student who died last week, will be flown into the country this weekend, Nation has learnt.

On Thursday, a source privy to the funeral arrangements that are ongoing at the All Saints Cathedral, Nairobi and at her father’s home in Elgeyo Marakwet, told Nation that the body has been handed over to the family.

“The family has been given the body and it is expected to be flown to the country by Saturday or Sunday. She would be buried next week,” said the source.

MYSTERY DEATH

Mystery still surrounds her death as the cause is yet to be known.

The deceased’s father, Dr Peter Borus had told Nation on Wednesday that the university and other US authorities are conducting investigations.

“We are distraught as family and with heavy hearts, we ask for your prayers and seek your understanding and indulgence to allow us mourn privately. We are so far working well with Stanford University and relevant authorities to conclude the matter,” read a text message from Dr Borus, who, together with some family members are in the US.

The body of Ms Jelagat, one of the top students in the country in the 2013 Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE), was found dead on June 14, at her residence in the institution.

READ ALSO:   SAD: Homeless Kenyan man dies in snow in US, family seeks answers

BURIAL PLANS

Mr Joseph Maswan, the family spokesman is coordinating burial arrangements.

NORAH

Ms Jelagat, a last born in the family of Dr Borus and Dr Dinah Borus, was a Masters student of Computer Science at Stanford University.

Nation learnt that friends are also meeting at the family’s rural home in Elgeyo-Marakwet County, to condole with the family.

Ms Jelagat, a Precious Blood Riruta alumnus, scored an A and was the best girl in Nairobi County in the 2013 KCSE results.

She joined the Equity African Leadership programme in 2014.

Continue Reading
poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!