Connect with us


Kenya Navy officer shoots colleague dead then turns gun on himself



Crime Scene Tape

Detectives are investigating an incident in which a Kenya Navy officer shot his colleague and later turned the gun on himself.

The incident happened at the Kenya Navy Mtongwe Base, Likoni on Sunday at 3am.

The officer, who has been identified as Gilbert Kibet, reportedly snatched a G3 riffle from his victim, a certain Naftali Kimtai, and shot him three times, killing him on the spot, before turning the rifle on himself.

According to police report, the officer, who had just arrived on pass leave, secretly sneaked into the barracks where he found Senior Private Kimtai actively engaged on duty.


He is reported to have snatched his G3 rifle and shot him thrice, fatally injuring him before turning the gun to himself.

Colleagues who responded to the incident, rushed the victim to the Kenya Navy sick bay, where he succumbed to his injuries while undergoing treatment.

The incident was recorded at the station as OB 6/12/5/2019.

The bodies were moved to the Coast General Hospital mortuary pending postmortem examinations.


In the last one month there have been several cases fatal shooting by uniformed officers. Last month, Likoni Police Station deputy OCS shot dead a woman at a bar before killing himself using his pistol.

In another incident, a KDF officer killed himself after shooting three of his close relatives to death in Eldoret.

In a separate story on April 12, a police officer in Kisii stormed a pub and casually threatened to shoot ‘somebody’, before pulling the trigger and killing the barman.

Then on May 5, a senior police officer was shot dead by his junior at their camp in Maralal, Samburu County. The junior officer stormed the police camp and opened fire on his boss killing him instantly.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Man jailed for 20 years for chopping off neighbour’s fingers




A man in Lamu county will face 20 years in jail after a Lamu court found him guilty of causing grievous harm.

Omar Yakub Athman chopped off four fingers of Mr Athman Omar Athman’s left hand.

The incident happened on 29th April 2019 in Tchundwa Village in Lamu East.

His actions were contrary to Section 234 of the Penal Code.

When officers arraigned him in court before Lamu Principal Magistrate Allan Temba, he denied the charges.

Omar’s plea of ‘not guilty’ prompted the Director of Public Prosecutions to call witnesses. Prosecution counsel Zacharia Kiongo and Eddie Kadede facilitated the entire process

The victim, Athman Omar Athman, had gone to assist his friend only identified as Hamza to collect stones.

The two were collecting stones from Hamza’s compound in Tchundwa village.

While collecting stones, the two saw a male and a female donkey rushing into the compound. They entered into Hamza’s house and came out running the same way they had gone in.

The accused later came into the compound asking for a donkey saddle.

The victim told him that they had not seen any donkey saddle.

Infuriated by the victim’s answer, the accused questioned what the victim’s intentions were.

The victim responded by saying that he had nothing to do with a donkey saddle.

The accused person left and came back with a panga in hand.

Without saying anything, he aimed at the victim’s head.

While trying to defend himself, the victim blocked the panga with his hand.

His fingers got chopped off in the process.

The victim tried to run but the accused chased after him and slashed him on the left pelvis area.

The victim managed to rush into a neighbour’s house who rushed him to hospital.

After getting medical attention, he reported the matter to a police station.

Lamu Principal Magistrate Allan Temba pronounced the accused guilty as charged and sentenced him to 20 years in prison.

Continue Reading


Mystery of two brothers who had lunch, then disappeared without a trace



Three weeks after the mysterious disappearance of two Nakuru-based bothers, police still have no concrete leads on their whereabouts.

The duo — Joseph Macharia, 39, a teacher at Kijabe Girls’ High School and Moses Kamau, 37, a land broker cum businessman — went missing on September 21.

Mr Kamau also operated an electronics equipment shop at Pinkam Building in the Nakuru Central Business District.

Detectives from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) are trying to piece together information in a bid to unravel the mystery surrounding their disappearance.

A senior detective told the Nation that their last phone signals were around Nakuru Golf Club, which borders the expansive Menengai Forest.

“Kamau’s phone signals were located at around 1.29pm on September 21 before they went missing. Macharia’s went off a few minutes later. We are still piecing together information to help trace them. So far we have made progress,” said the detective who sought anonymity.

By Friday, sleuths were still analysing mobile phone data and tracking their movements as well as establishing the last people they were in touch with.

“We have established that the two brothers had lunch at Shemeji Hotel before their phone signals were located within Nakuru Golf Club and thereafter went missing,” revealed another detective.

Questions still abound on whether they were the ones in possession of their phones at the time of disappearance.

Family unhappy with police

Nakuru County police commander Stanley Kilonzi on Friday maintained that detectives have intensified their search for the duo, but their families disagree.

Their families claim that police are dragging their feet, leaving them devastated and with no hope of tracing their kin.

“We have been to the Nakuru regional DCI offices. Every time we are told to wait for a comprehensive report about the disappearance. Why can’t the police fast-track the investigations and establish if the two were kidnapped or might have been killed?” asked a family member who sought anonymity.

Some family members believe the pair may have been kidnapped by unknown assailants over a business deal gone sour.

Their loved ones have combed the expansive Menengai forest over the past two weeks but come up with nothing.

Since they disappeared, family members have been meeting every day at their grandmother’s home in Kwa Amos, Bahati.

On September 25, the family reported their disappearance at Kiugoine police station, and the matter was recorded in the Occurrence Book (OB) under number 013/13/25/2020.

At the Nakuru Central police station, the OB number was booked under 33/27/9/2020.

The Nation established that several family members had recorded statements with the police over the disappearance.

Their ancestral home is in Engashura, Bahati , Nakuru county, but Kamau lived with two wives and his children at Kwa Amos area in Bahati. His brother Macharia lived with his family at Salgaa trading centre on the Nakuru-Eldoret highway.

On the day they went missing, Macharia was on his way from Salgaa to a wedding committee meeting for his primary school teacher’s child at Engashura.

But, as fate would have it, he never made it to the function.

He met Kamau in Nakuru at around 11am, where they had lunch together at Shemeji Hotel before they went missing.

Macharia has two wives and is a father of four, while Kamau has seven children and two wives.

Family members now want police to speed up the investigations.

“They had lunch together before they went missing. Since they went missing, we have visited several areas including local mortuaries, hospitals and nearby forests, in a bid to trace their whereabouts but all has been in vain. We hope that we will find them alive,” said Joel Theuri, a relative.

According to an aunt, Grace Njoki, their phones were switched off moments after one of them (Kamau) communicated with his wife.

Mystery third person

“Kamau has two wives and had communicated with one of them before his phone went off. He told her he was in the company of his brother Macharia at a hotel sealing a deal, but he did not give details of what exactly they were  doing at the place,” said Njoki.

“Their phones have never been switched on. The family has not heard from them for two weeks now. We don’t know what happened but we hope to find them alive,” she said.

Detectives in Nakuru are yet to identify the third person who was with the two brothers at the time of their disappearance after they had lunch.

Nakuru Human Rights Network director, David Kuria, has also appealed to police to speed up investigations and help trace the brothers.

“I ask the police to work closely with family members to get more information that can help solve the puzzle,” said Mr Kuria.

Continue Reading


Uhuru, Margaret Kenyatta receive Huduma Namba cards




Interior CS, Fred Matiang’i presented the two with the cards in the Mashujaa Day celebrations in Kisii.

“On behalf of my colleagues in the inter-ministerial committee on this historic day, I would like to report that the process is now complete and we have developed the Huduma Namba.” Matiang’i said as he presented the cards.

“Your Excellency, today you and the First Lady will be the first recipients of the sample Huduma Namba card which we hope will be rolled out as soon as the National Assembly completes the process of the appointment of the Data Commissioner as directed by the High Court,” Matiang’i went on.

The President and the First Lady stood up to receive their cards, which they held aloft for Kenyans to see.

Additionally, Matiang’i presented the card to ten other Kenyans, marking the first twelve people to get the Huduma Namba Card.

However, people took issue with the fact that all the othe ten were men, pointing to continued marginalization of women.

The government launched Huduma Namba (National Integrated Identity Management System (NIIMS)) project on April 2019.

The Huduma Namba Card holds a unique number for each holder.

It also has details of a person’s ID card number, NHIF, NSSF, Birth Certificate number and other personal identifiers.

During the early phases of the projects, the government went hard, issuing threats and deadlines for applying for the cards.

However, the High Court ruled on April 1 against the government making the exercise mandatory.

They also ruled against issuing of deadlines for the project.

However, Huduma Namba remains a controversial topic.

A number of Kenyans did not register for the process.

Though the government will roll out a second registration process, many remain skeptical of the whole exercise.

Continue Reading


Like us on Facebook, stay informed


2020 Calendar



error: Content is protected !!