Connect with us

News

No Schengen visa for Kenyans without e-passports from Saturday

Published

on

The Embassy of Hugary in Nairobi has announced that from this Saturday, only e-Passport holders will qualify for the Schengen visa.

In a circular seen by Citizen Digital, the Schengen countries said that the decision was reached after the announcement by Ministry of foreign affairs in April that indicated that machine-readable passports would expire on August 31, 2019.

“The Schengen member states therefore wish to inform the Kenyan public that from June 1, 2019, ONLY the new East African Community biometric e-passport would be accepted for Schengen visa applications,” read the memo.

The Schengen visa allows entry into 26 countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece and Hungary.

Others are Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.

According to the ministry, the new generation passports will have more security features than the previous machine-read ones.

They will also eliminate the need for an East African passport as agreed by the African Union.

The ministry had earlier announced that all Kenyan passport holders will be required to switch to the new document by September 2.

Applicants are required to apply for the e-passport on the e-citizen platform that prompts one to enter identification and residential details of parents, spouse and children where applicable.

READ ALSO:   E-passport centres launched in six countries to serve diaspora

The online application process concludes with payment of passport fees which can range from Ksh.4,550 to Ksh.7,550 depending on pages needed.

After the online process, the applicant is expected to print three copies of the invoice as proof of payment to be handed over at the Immigration Department.

Other documents to be handed over include original and photocopies of birth certificates and ID, copy of previous passport if any, parents’ national ID or death certificate where applicable, children’s birth certificate (if any), copy of recommender’s ID card and three passport-size photographs.

Source:Citizen Digital,

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Sisters dumped in hospital 26 years ago now hunt for their family – PHOTOS

Published

on

Two sisters have launched a search for their family after being abandoned in a hospital 26 years ago while aged three and four respectively.

Thirty-year-old Serah Muthoni and her sister Emma Wamuyu, 29, claim they were dumped at a Nyahururu hospital in 1993.

Serah says they stayed at the hospital for a while before being moved to Kabete Children’s Home.

In between, they moved orphanages until they were 18.

“Am appealing to anyone who may have information of the whereabouts of our parents or even relatives to to help me trace them.My sister and I are doing well in life.We were taken to school by the church and we are all working and financially independent,” she wrote.

Serah Muthoni. PHOTO | COURTESY

Serah now wants the public to assist them trace their family.

“Even if it’s a distant cousin, am sure someone knows something about us,” she said.

Nairobi News contacted the Kabete Children’s Home and its former administrator Ms Florence Makau. She confirmed that the sisters lived at the facility but later moved out.

“They stayed at the home at some point and they are known,” she said, adding that the two were hardworking and always willing to explore new ideas.

PHOTO | COURTESY

Serah assured the long lost family that they are now working and financially stable.

READ ALSO:   E-passport centres launched in six countries to serve diaspora

“Am appealing to anyone who may have information of the whereabouts of our parents or even relatives to help me trace them. My sister and I are doing well in life,” she said.

Continue Reading

News

Died abroad: The Kenyans who never came back

Published

on

Norah Borus, a 2013 KCSE top performer was last week found dead at her on-campus residence in the US. Her death was confirmed by Stanford University Vice Provost of Student Affairs Susie Brubaker-Cole who wrote in an email: “Neither the cause of death nor the student’s identity have been publicly released, but police say there is “no ongoing safety threat to the campus community.”Norah sat her 2013 KCSE at Precious Blood Secondary School, Riruta to emerge the best girl in Nairobi County.

NORAH

She then joined Stanford University to pursue an engineering course. At the time of her death, Stanford University was celebrating commencement weekend.According to The Mercury News website online, this was the fourth student death reported since last February.News of her death increases the worrying trend of Kenyans who have been found dead overseas.

Cheruiyot who was found dead at Osborne Park, Australia.

LEFT: The cars linked to the murder. RIGHT: The deceased Jelagat Cheruiyot


On May 30, 2019, police found a 34-year-old Kenyan woman dead at her apartment in Osbourne Park, Australia, days after her family reported her missing.Jelagat Cheruiyot also known as Nancy was found dead when police went to conduct a welfare check.It was reported that due to the nature of her injuries, police declared it a homicide and kicked off an investigation.To date, police are yet to make arrests leading to her death. Daily Nationreported that they were in pursuit of a man who was spotted driving two cars linked to her murder.Jelagat hailed from Cheptiret in Uasin Gishu County.

Moses Maima, who allegedly committed suicide in Chicago, US.

Moses Maima, 50, is reported to have committed suicide in Chicago, US in March this year.He was cremated so quick, all while the family waited for the body to be brought home for a proper burial.Back home, Maima’s younger brother Phillip Miyare told The Standard in an interview, “The explanation on how he died is suspicious. We need to know what happened.” Maima moved to the US in the 1990s and had three children.

Kenyan musician Mercy Muthui

Mercy Wanjiku Muthui, the 32-year-old Kenyan musician, with her husband Daniel Erhardt. PHOTO | COURTESY

Again in February this year, 32-year-old Kenyan musician Mercy Wanjiku Muthui was found dead in a ditch near her home in the Netherlands. Her family suspected foul play. Police detained but released her husband Daniel Erhardt who had reported her missing moments before her death.

Margaret Nganga The script re-writes itself in another incident in May 2018.Margaret Nganga was found dead in her car at a parking lot, a day after she left her house for work.She worked at the Northside Hospital in Atlanta, Georgia.Her family said she did not show any signs of illness and was in high spirits on the day she left home.


Henry Okong’o and wife, Kenyan couple found dead in New Jersey.

Henry Okong’o and wife Lydiah March 2018, Kenyans in New Jersey, USA, woke up to the news of Kenyan couple that was found dead in their home.The bodies of Henry Okong’o and his wife Lydiah were found in separate rooms of their home with gunshot wounds.Neighbours suspected the deaths could have been as a result of domestic violence.The couple left behind three children.

 

Source:Standard.co.ke

READ ALSO:   US visas now only for holders of e-passports
Continue Reading

News

Uhuru’s sister sues city businessman over Sh3m soft loan

Published

on

President Uhuru Kenyatta’s elder sister has returned a former captain of Karen Country Club, Richard Thande, to court for failing to repay a Sh3 million debt.

Kristina Pratt, in papers filed at the Milimani Commercial Courts in Nairobi, says Mr Thande has once again breached a repayment deal reached last September, prompting the latest court action and appointment of Moran Auctioneers to pursue the debt.

Mr Thande, however, protested the suit, urging the court to dismiss it terming.

“The defendant will raise a preliminary objection that the entire suit should be struck out on the grounds that it time-barred,” he said.

Mr Thande is hinging his objection on the Limitation of Actions Act, which demands that a contractual dispute be brought to court within six years.

The businessman owed Ms Pratt a soft loan of Sh5 million. Last September, he paid Sh2 million and promised to stagger the remaining Sh3 million within six months.

Ms Pratt, through her lawyer Eddy Orinda, said Mr Thande had breached the repayments terms.

REPAYMENT DEAL

Mr Kenyatta’s kin first went to court last year after the businessman failed to honour a repayment deal reached on November 2011 that directed the businessman to make monthly payments of Sh20,000 to clear the debt.

READ ALSO:   US visas now only for holders of e-passports

“The plaintiff (Ms Pratt) avers that the defendant (Mr Thande) has since entering the agreements only paid a sum of Sh20,000,” says Ms Pratt in September court documents.

“The plaintiff further avers that despite numerous requests and demands in the month of June 2018 to the defendant to refund the remaining sum of Sh4,980,000, the defendant has declined to settle the same.”

The monthly repayment of Sh20,000 meant Mr Thande would have taken 250 months or 20 years to clear the debt on the assumption it was lent interest-free.

Ms Pratt, 68, wants the court to compel Mr Thande to shoulder the costs of the suit.

Court documents did not reveal the dealings between Mrs Pratt and Mr Thande.

Ms Pratt chairs the National Fund for the Disabled of Kenya since 2002 when former President Daniel arap Moi appointed her to the position.

Source:nairobinews

Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!