Connect with us

News

Wife, daughter and Baba Yao’s millions probe

Published

on

The anti-graft agency has told a court how Kiambu Governor Ferdinand Waititu, his wife and their daughter might have pocketed millions in kickbacks for contracts awarded by the government.

In an affidavit before a Kiambu court, Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) accuses the governor of receiving kickbacks through his bank accounts and accounts of companies associated with him, his wife Susan Wangari Ndung’u and their daughter Monica Njeri.

The affidavit by EACC investigator Regina Ng’ang’a details how two companies the commission said are owned by the three, received up to Sh30.6 million from a firm awarded a tender to construct roads late last year and early this year.

EACC said Testimony Enterprises Limited, which had been “irregularly” paid a substantial amount “without producing certificates required to show the work done”, received Sh180 million between April last year and last April.

Investigations showed that the company’s account was opened on March 27, last year by its managing director Charles Chege and Beth Wangechi Mburu, being the directors.Between July and October last year, Testimony Enterprises Ltd paid Sh25.4 million to Saika Two Estate Developers Limited, which is owned by Waititu and his daughter, according to EACC.

Between October 2018 and January 2019, Testimony Enterprise Limited paid, from its bank account Sh5.2 million to Bienvenue Delta Hotel that is owned by Waititu and his wife, EACC said.  The commission said this emerged during an analysis of statements received from an Equity Bank account held by Testimony Enterprises Limited. It showed numerous transactions on various dates.

READ ALSO:   Waititu mum on alleged family's hand in Kiambu graft probe

The investigator told court their inquiries from Registrar of Companies revealed Waititu and his daughter are the directors of Saika Two Estate Developers Limited.

EACC also said according to the Registrar of Companies, Waititu and his wife are the directors of Bienvenue Delta Hotel.

“An analysis of evidence reveals the governor received kickbacks through his bank accounts and accounts of companies associated with him and his family members for contracts awarded by the county government,” reads the affidavit.

Testimony Enterprise Limited was awarded a tender to construct eight roads on March 8, last year at a cost of Sh588 million.Mr Chege, on March 9,2018, accepted the tender.

The detective indicted that the company had so far been irregularly paid a substantial amount of money. “The money paid was thereafter transferred to accounts of company directors and later to the account of the governor, his wife, daughter and companies associated with the county chief,” Ms Ng’ang’a said.

EACC said money paid to Testimony Enterprise Ltd was transferred either directly or indirectly to the top county officials, their companies or relatives.

“This therefore points to use of proxies for personal gain,” read the affidavit.Ng’ang’a told the court that on May 23, 2019, EACC executed search warrants where crucial documents were seized.EACC says it is based on this background that it is opposed to granting anticipatory bail to Waititu and Chief Finance Officer Faith Njeri Harrison.

READ ALSO:   How Waititu crafted own downfall

In the case, Waititu and Ms Harrison are named as applicants, while the Director of Public Prosecutions, the Director of Criminal Investigations, Inspector General of Police, EACC and Banking Fraud Unit are named as respondents.Last week, Kiambu Principal Magistrate Brian Khaemba granted the two a Sh500,000 bail each.

Before the anticipatory bail was given, the governor had been arrested over corruption allegations.A statement by EACC chief executive Twalib Mbarak said the commission was investigating Waititu for the irregular award of tenders valued at Sh588 million to companies associated with him and his immediate family.

Mbarak said investigations showed contractors paid money to senior county officials, their companies or relatives through proxies. He said investigations would also cover the fraudulent acquisition of public funds, conflict of interest and money laundering.Waititu has denied any wrongdoing and blamed his woes on political rivals.

Ng’ang’a told court the money was irregularly paid to contractors and county officials in the 2017/2018 financial year.She informed court that the commission started investigations and obtained documents relating to the probe from the county government.An analysis of the documents revealed a Cabinet paper dated January 24, 2018 on the proposed improvement of County Gravel Roads to bituminous standard using soil stabilisation technology.

READ ALSO:   Senators to hold a special sitting to discuss Waititu’s impeachment

The investigator said the purpose of the Cabinet paper was to seek approval and allocation of budget for improvement of 21.35 kilometres.The roads included a two kilometres Kimuchu-Corner 3 to Muthaiga road in Thika, one-kilometre Full Gospel-Githunguri Primary School road in Ruiru and the 3.7-kilometre Rainbow Hotel Eastern Bypass Road in Ruiru.

There is also 2.6-kilometre Kahawa Wendani Nakumatt Supermarket to Kwan Ng’ethe road in Ruiru, the two kilometer Thika highway-Maraba junction and Witeithie town road in Juja, and Igegania health centre-Igegania Primary road measuring 1.05km in Gatundu North.

Others are four-kilometre Kamirithu-Ngenia and Ngarariga shopping Centre Bibirioni Primary School road in Limuru, the two-kilometre Gathanja-Muchatha road in Kiambaa and the two-kilometre Karura Ka Nyungu road in Kabete.The affidavit shows the cost of constructing the roads was estimated at Sh600 million.

Source:Standard.co.ke

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Lifestyle

VIDEO: Police arrest prison constable, two others with over 10,000 Sim cards

Published

on

Police have Thursday arrested three people who were found in possession with over 10,000 Sim cards, four mobile phones and a laptop.

The three are currently being held at the Bondo Police Station in Siaya.

According to DCI, among the arrested is prison constable Charles Opollo Ndaga, who is based at Prison Headquarters.

The warden was arrested for irregular Sim Swap and Sim Card registration.

“Over 10,000 Safaricom Sim Cards registered under different names, two Equitel Sim Cards and three ID Cards, a laptop, several mobile phones, a cheque book among other items were recovered in his house,” police said.

According to the County Police boss Francis Kooli, the three were arrested following a tip off from the members of the public in Sinapanga, Bondo sub-county.

He said that they have already launched investigations to establish more suspects involved in the illegal business that involves the illegal swaping and registration of mobile phone sim cards.

Addressing the media at Bondo Police Station where the suspects are being held, Kooli said that one of the suspects is a prominent businessman in Bondo and an aspiring MP.

“We’ve already written to the Kenya Prisons Service Headquarters to confirm if the said suspect is still in service after it was alleged that he’s a prison officer,” said Kooli.

READ ALSO:   Governor Waititu arrested after surrendering himself to EACC

He added that the three are helping them with the leads and that they will only disclose the names of the suspects in their custody after getting more details.

“This requires in-depth investigations that will involve the Cyber Crime and Anti-Fraud units that will establish how long the crime has been going on and how many people have been affected,” he added.

The suspects will be arraigned and charged accordingly.

According to the police boss, many people have lost money through such schemes.

“We are warning members of the public to be wary of such deals and in case there’s anyone who is suspecting to have been credit without his/her knowledge should report to police,” said Kooli.

He said that they have embarked on sensitization to members of the public against use of technology to commit crime.

BY standard media.co.ke

Continue Reading

Business

Introducing Baba Mboga

Published

on

If you told Sydney Muhando last year that he would be running a fresh produce grocery city business, he definitely would not have agreed.

The online comedian and drama teacher who is also a video editor was on stage with his trainees in a competition when the first case of Covid-19 was announced in the country.

This was followed by indefinite closure of schools. For him, he knew it would only take a few days before schools reopen. It has now taken six months for candidates to resume their studies.

In the same period, Mr Muhando has grown his online business, Baba Mboga Deliveries, a name he says he chose because of its uniqueness.

Every morning, he wakes up at dawn to go to Wangige Market, one of the largest markets in Kiambu County where he gets assorted fruits and vegetables.

He then sorts them according to what has been ordered and packages them in bags ready to deliver to his customers doorsteps.

Social media pages

Most of the time, people especially in urban residential areas purchase their vegetables and other fresh products from local shops just near their homes commonly known as ‘Mama Mboga’.

“I stayed for two months without a job and life became difficult and  I knew I could not sustain myself for long. My friend had been sending me to the market to get grocery for him at a fee and that is how I identified the gap,”  he says.

READ ALSO:   Kiambu Governor Ferdinand Waititu is a missing man

With a capital of Sh800 and running short of time, the 28-year-old started purchasing more food from the market, posting them on his social media pages to let his friends know about it. He then delivers them to his customers.

He explains that being a city, many residents hardly get time to go to the market, especially to get traditional or indigenous vegetables. There is also a growing culture for online shopping among Nairobi residents.

“In a city like Nairobi, most people are busy, so I took advantage of that to serve them in their own houses. Many people, were also scared of going to crowded market places fearing that they would contract the disease,”  he says.

Free delivery

For months, Mr Muhando has garnered a huge following both on Facebook and Instagram.

But it is not that easy to open and run social media pages for a full-time online business. Most businesses find it difficult to produce content to market their products.

Luckily, for Mr Muhando who is an online comedian, anything to do with technology is not so hard for him. It only took an hour to create and set up his Facebook account.

“It takes witty captions and for you to have a good camera. It is also important to post the prices. Without seeing the prices, the customers will not be interested in the products, especially if it’s a small business,”  he adds.

READ ALSO:   Waititu cuts shot speech after being heckled by crowd – VIDEO

He additionally posts the menu for his vegetables, with various discounts to attract customers including free delivery for those purchasing goods worth more than Sh1,000.

To have a variety and almost everything one needs in their kitchen, Baba Mboga apart from greens and fruits also sells spices such as ginger, garlic and onions, with starches such as sweet potatoes and arrowroots as well as eggs.

Invest in branding 

To grow his business, Mr Muhando says it was important to invest in branding for his audience to take it seriously.

He targets families and the busy clientele who could be at work or travelling. On a good day, he makes up to Sh2,000 after delivery.

In his recent innovation, as it is by some business owners who want to add value to their products, he has also introduced the bachelors package, where the traditional vegetables, which usually take time to be made are picked and sorted for easy preparation.

He also does extra services including chopping onions, tomatoes and preparing fruits or vegetables depending on the customer’s orders. Afterwards, he packs them in a branded reusable shopping bag.

As his business expands, Mr Muhando has sought partners who work with him, one, who is in charge of transport and deliveries while another is in charge of a walk-in store he is putting up.

READ ALSO:   Waititu mum on alleged family's hand in Kiambu graft probe

Major challenge 

His major challenge is finding the balance between the cost he uses to purchase the vegetables and delivering them at the customer’s doorstep.

“Since my customers are spread all over, the main issue is balancing the delivery that it does not eat into  my  profits. Competition is also high since more people are now tapping into this business so it requires a lot of improvement and incentives for the customers,”  he says.

Mr Muhando plans to expand his business and even have a walk in store, such as the popular Zucchini, which will in turn create employment for more people as his contribution to the country’s economy.

His advises to young people who unfortunately lost their jobs during the pandemic, “look for other jobs or set up your own businesses,  however small”.

“Keep trying, remember quality service is your biggest advertising,” says Mr Muhando.

by nation.africa

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Shock after man kills son before taking his own life

Published

on

Residents of a Naivasha village woke up to rude shock after a middle-aged man killed his three-year-old son before hanging himself on a tree.

The man strangled his son in Kipkonyo Village while the mother was away before committing suicide, plunging the area into mourning.

Tears flowed freely as relatives and friends tried to come to terms with the incident before police moved in to collect the two bodies.

Record statement

The 30-year-old man, after killing his son, threw the body into a latrine under construction before stripping naked and hanging himself.

Naivasha police boss Samuel Waweru confirmed the incident, adding that security officers had collected the two bodies and opened an inquest.

He said they would be seeking the wife who was not present during the incident to record a statement as part of their investigations.

“Initial investigations indicate that the man first killed his son by twisting his neck and dumping the body in the family latrine before using a rope to hang himself,” said the police boss.

A neighbour, Isaac Lang’at, said the deceased had for a long time clashed with his wife leading to a separation before he decided to kill himself.

By PD.co.ke

READ ALSO:   Governor Waititu arrested after surrendering himself to EACC
Continue Reading


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2020 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!