Connect with us

News

Esther Passaris: I will sue Sonko

Published

on

Nairobi Woman Representative Esther Passaris has finally broken her silence on Governor Mike Sonko’s allegations that she had been demanding money from him.

Speaking at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Passaris said that she knew many people expected her to respond immediately after the allegations, but she chose to act with integrity and follow the law.

“I have chosen to act with integrity and follow the Constitution. I will not go down that route,” Passaris said shortly after landing from Canada.The Nairobi Woman Rep went on to say that she will visit the office of the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI), the Ethics and Anti- Corruption Commission (EACC) and the office of National Cohesion so that the matter could be looked into.

 

“This time I’m not letting it go, I will use every single rule and law to ensure that this is the last time that somebody uses falsehood to bring down a woman leader,” she said.

The feud between Sonko and Passaris started during the Madaraka Day celebration when the Governor told the Nairobi Women Rep to stop going round telling people that he does not answer her phone calls.

Sonko & Passaris

The issue later escalated when Sonko accused Passaris of demanding for money from him during a live TV interview.

READ ALSO:   Why are you showing us your nakedness, Kenyans wonder over Passaris' thy-exposing dress

Last week, Youth and Gender affairs CS Margaret Kobia strongly condemned the attacks aimed at Nairobi Woman Representative Esther Passaris, terming them worrying.Through a statement seen by Standard Digital, Kobia expressed her concern at the ongoing onslaught on women in leadership positions in the country.

“Today I join other women leaders in condemning the recent unfortunate attacks directed at Hon Esther Passaris…“Many other Kenyan women experience these assaults and continue suffering in silence. No woman deserves to suffer the ignominy of such public utterances,” she said.

Further, the CS pointed out that the normalization of gender-based violence is worrying and sets a bad precedent.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

How Moi thwarted scheme to replace Lee Njiru

Published

on

Former President Daniel arap Moi tried to intervene in a power struggle between his press secretary Lee Njiru and private secretary John Lokorio in his last days, it has now emerged.

Moi died on February 4 and was laid to rest at his Kabarak home last Wednesday.

According to insiders, only a few people knew about the intense power struggle to control Moi’s diary.

The running divisions that characterised the relationship between the two confidants was so intense that each wing used to release separate press statements on the health status of Moi.

And when he was admitted to Nairobi Hospital, the confusion of conflicting press statements intensified, confirming the deep division in the communication unit.

The two, who were constantly in touch with Moi during his 24-year reign and after his retirement in 2002, have for the past three years been embroiled in a power struggle that spilt over to the public domain last year.

The sour relationship became so acrimonious that at one time Mr Njiru accused Mr Lokorio of sending his two drivers with a spare key to “steal” his official car on July 5, 2017.

The car was later recovered by police and returned to Mr Njiru. The matter was the subject of discussion by the Nakuru County Security Committee that was chaired by the then County Commissioner Joshua Nkanatha on October 12, 2017.

After deliberations, the committee studied Mr Njiru’s documents and consulted the national government, which confirmed that he was in the office legally.

READ ALSO:   Sonko blasted after showing off gold-plated dining room amid Nairobi flooding

Mr Lokorio did not attend the meeting. But what is the bone of contention between the two?

Interestingly, the two are neighbours at Ngata Farm, where they own huge chunks of land, and both operate hotels in the former Agricultural Development Corporation (ADC) land.

According to documents seen by the Sunday Nation, and which were filed in court, Mr Lokorio claims Mr Njiru retired on July 1, 2017 and should have vacated his position.

Mr Lokorio further claims that Mr Njiru was replaced by Mr Alex Kiprotich Chepkoit, who was recruited as deputy personal assistant in the Office of retired President Moi with effect from September 1, 2016.

Immediately after Mr Kiprotich’s appointment, Mr Lokorio sent a text message to Mr Njiru, saying: “I want to know when Alex Kiprotich can report on duty as your deputy. You are also aware that he has to work on His Excellency archives.”

Mr Njiru wrote to the Comptroller of State House and sought the extension of the contract for a further period of three years from July 1, 2017.

“My current appointment as personal assistant-cum-secretary in the Office of the Retired President expires on June 30, 2017. As per the terms of engagement, I wish to continue in the same position for a further period of three years from July 1, 2017,” wrote Mr Njiru.

His extension was approved by Moi. The then Comptroller of State House, Lawrence Lenayapa, conveyed the extension of Mr Njiru’s appointment as approved by the Public Service Commission via a letter dated May 3, 2017.

READ ALSO:   Why are you showing us your nakedness, Kenyans wonder over Passaris' thy-exposing dress

“I am pleased to convey to you the decision of the Public Service Commission vide letter Ref No PSC/SH/1/VII (24) dated May 3, 2017 that your appointment as a Personal Assistant-cum-Secretary, Job Group ‘S’ on local agreement terms of service in the Office of the First Retired President be renewed for a further period of three years with effect from July 1, 2017 up to and including June 20, 2020,” wrote Mr Lenayapa on June 5, 2017.

However, Mr Lokorio wrote back. The letter copied to Chief of Staff and Head of Public Service Joseph Kinyua said: “The named officer (Njiru) is someone in his retirement and his services in an office of this nature are not in demand.”

He added: “If the government needs the energies of this officer, it is in a position to find him another posting, but definitely not this office.”

According to clause 8 of the Presidential Retirement Benefits Act, public officers should not be appointed or posted to serve on such staff except with the concurrence of the retired president.

Mr Njiru holds official documents showing that he is in the office legally.

But in a quick rejoinder, Mr Lokorio, seeking to exercise his powers, asked Mr Njiru on July 3, 2017 to proceed on retirement.

“The Public Service Commission has advised that I apply for your commutation of leave for cash in lieu of the contract,” wrote Mr Lokorio.

READ ALSO:   Passaris fights eviction from Sh300 milion Kitisuru house by late billionaire's widow

He further told Mr Njiru that he had applied for him 38 months outstanding leave.

The two top civil servants are subject to redeployment now that the Office of the First Retired President of Kenya, which was constitutional, has ceased to exist.

According to insiders at Kabarak, Mr Lokorio was resolute that Mr Njiru, who was considered an outsider in Moi’s private office among the administrative cadre staff, was to be replaced.

However, reliable sources told the Sunday Nation that when Moi learnt of Mr Lokorio’s schemes to replace Mr Njiru, he thwarted the move.

“Mzee Moi was not happy with Mr Lokorio’s underhand scheme and would not let go Mr Njiru, who was considered to be a foreigner in the clique surrounding former President Moi,” said a source.

The source added that even in his advanced age, Moi was cautious on who to work with and was not amused by hatred and tribal tendencies in his private office.

In a past interview, when asked how he managed to weather all these battles, Mr Njiru replied: “When you work under Moi for such a long time, you learn how to not to get ulcers. I do not get ulcers. I distribute them. In fact, I am the chief distributor.”

Mr Lokorio did not respond to our telephone calls seeking comment.

By Sunday Nation

Continue Reading

News

Uganda’s Queen of Katwe star Nikita Pearl Waligwa dies aged 15

Published

on

An actress who starred in the Queen of Katwe, a Disney film about a chess prodigy from a Ugandan slum, has died aged 15, Ugandan media report.

Nikita Pearl Waligwa had been diagnosed with a brain tumour.

The 2016 film was based on the true story of Phiona Mutesi, who took up chess aged nine despite not being in school and went on to compete in international tournaments.

It starred Lupita Nyong’o as her mother and David Oyelowo as her chess teacher.

Waligwa played the role of Gloria, a friend of Phiona who explained the rules of chess to her.

She was first diagnosed with a brain tumour in 2016 and Queen of Katwe director Mira Nair reportedly mobilised people to help fund her treatment in India, with Ugandan doctors quoted as saying they did not have the necessary equipment.

She was given the all-clear in 2017 but last year was found to have another tumour.

By K24

READ ALSO:   PHOTOS: Passaris serves beer to the elderly on Christmas Day
Continue Reading

News

PHOTOS: Motorist dies after his Mercedes ploughs through trees and burst into flames

Published

on

A motorist was on Sunday morning killed after he lost control of his vehicle near Sunshine Secondary School on Lang’ata road and ploughed through several trees.

According to a police report, the vehicle then landed on a perimeter fence where it reportedly burst into flames with the driver trapped inside.

The driver of the said vehicle was reportedly driving from the Mbagathi roundabout towards Lang’ata when the accident occurred at around 7am.

Members of the public at the scene of an accident in which a car ploughed through several trees along Lang’ata road. The driver of the car died in the accident. PHOTO | COURTESY
Members of the public at the scene of an accident in which a car ploughed through several trees along Lang’ata road. The driver of the car died in the accident. PHOTO | COURTESY

“It happened that the said motor vehicle was being driven from Mbagathi roundabout direction towards Lang’ata general direction,” said the police report

The vehicle was extensively damaged and the body of the deceased has since been transferred to the City Mortuary.

The wreckage of a car that ploughed through several trees along Lang’ata road. The driver of the car died in the accident. PHOTO | COURTESY

The wreckage of a car that ploughed through several trees along Lang’ata road being towed from the scene of the accident. PHOTO | COURTESY

By NN

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Passaris comes clean on Intercontinental Hotel room saga
Continue Reading


Are you looking for a Church to fellowship in Atlanta Metro Area?

poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!