Connect with us

News

Here’s the photo that has broken hearts worldwide

Published

on

Shocking images of a drowned Salvadoran migrant and his two-year-old daughter who died while trying to cross the Rio Grande river from Mexico to the United States have sparked outrage, underscoring the dangers faced by asylum-seekers.

Twenty-five-year-old Oscar Martinez Ramirez fled El Salvador with his 21-year-old wife and their daughter and decided to make the risky crossing from Mexico to the US on Sunday afternoon, according to a Mexican court report seen by AFP.

Ramirez carried the little girl on his back, stowing her inside his t-shirt to keep her safe as they attempted to cross the river. But the pair were swept away by violent currents, drowning before her mother’s eyes, who survived the ordeal and arrived on shore.

The two bodies were found Monday in Matamoros in Tamaulipas state.

FACE-DOWN

A series of haunting photographs showing the young father and child lying face-down in water have stirred anger in El Salvador and Mexico, where the government had faced sharp criticism for its treatment of migrants.

President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, a leftist who took office in December vowing to protect migrants’ rights, has previously come under fire over an AFP journalist’s images last week of heavily armed National Guardsmen forcibly detaining two women and a girl at the Rio Grande.

On Tuesday, the Mexican leader said the 15,000 troops his government has deployed to the US border do not have orders to stop migrants from crossing, and vowed to investigate the controversial detention.

International law protects the right of undocumented migrants to cross borders to seek asylum, and Mexico has not typically stopped them from doing so at its northern border.

But Lopez Obrador is facing pressure from US President Donald Trump on the issue, and his government is eager to show results and avoid the punitive tariffs the US leader threatened last month to impose on Mexican goods.

On June 7, the two countries reached an agreement, with Mexico agreeing to reinforce its southern border with 6,000 National Guardsmen. Washington has given Mexico 45 days to take action.

Source:nairobinews

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

VIDEO- Family of boy ran over by Ruto convoy say DP ‘did not honour his word’

Published

on

Sidney Mambala’s life was tragically cut short when he was knocked down by a car in DP William Ruto convoy in Budalang’i, Busia.

One month later, the parents say that calls to the Deputy President’s office go unanswered and he has failed to honour his promise.

“Hajawahi receive simu. Napiga simu hazishikwi. Mimi nasikia uchungu sana kumpoteza mtoto wa kwanza,” the father, Felix Mambala said.

Mr. Malamba says he was promised a job while his wife Elizabeth Akinyi financial assistance for her salon business and a house.

They live in a mud hut in Mulwanda village.

The DP’s office confirmed that no assistance has been accorded to the family since Sidney’s death as the matter is still pending in court.

The family however insists that some compensation for Sidney’s death would give them reprieve.

https://youtu.be/1zqQ9Y6tTjI

“DP afanye vile aliahidi. Kama hangekuja budalangi (Sidney) hangekufa,” he added.

“Huyo mtoto angekuwa mtu mkubwa akuje atusaidie budalangi mzima,” Godfrey Okesa, a neighbour, told Citizen TV.

In June after the accident, EDAILY revealed that DP Ruto had spoken to Mr. Malamba, condoled with him and pledged his support.

“The DP called the area OCPD, and asked him to pass the phone to me. DP Ruto told me to take heart, promising to look into my family’s welfare. He also promised to foot all the funeral expenses,” Mr Mambala told EDAILY.

Emmanuel Talam, DP William Ruto’s Deputy Director of Communications, later delivered a condolence message from his boss and again pledged support.

“Sidney did not deserve to die, he has directed that there will be investigations and most importantly he will stand with the family,” Talam said.

BY CITIZEN

Continue Reading

Diaspora

Kenyan man deported from the US on arrival at the airport, seeks help to reunite with his Patients

Published

on

An online petition to help a Doctor of Kenyan descent who was deported from the United States two weeks ago has been launched.

According to the petition seen by ksnmedia.com,  Dr. Alexander Ondari  was returning to the US to complete his last year as a resident physician at the University of Texas Medical Branch on July 6th, when he was denied entry.

He is now seeking the intervention of the US Embassy in Nairobi. Below is the Petition as prepared by one Georgia Colleluori:

 

On July the 6th, Dr. Alexander Ondari was returning to USA to complete his last year as a resident physician at University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston. However, he was barred from entering, as the immigration officer at the airport (Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport) did not honor the valid J1 Visa that he had. Unfortunately, he was deported back to Kenya where he is right now. Currently, all depends on the USA Embassy in Kenya to grant him a new J1 Visa. 

Dr Ondari’s constant efforts as a physician, together with his charitable character, is critical to the well-being of the communities he lives and serves in. Dr Ondari’s objective is to bring value to the US, an aim that has been already accomplished during the last 17 years as a non-immigrant visa holder. It’s is thus a honor to support his efforts to obtain a J1 visa so that he can serve his patients and continue to improve the health of America.

You can sign the Petition by clicking here – change.org/p/us-embassy-in-nairobi

Continue Reading

Diaspora

WATCH LIVE: Francis Muchene’s Memorial Service in Atlanta as burial set for Sat July 27

Published

on

Send off plans for Baba Chege (Francis Muchene Chege) are in full gear.
The memorial service is tomorrow Saturday July 20th at 4pm at KACC
771 Elberta Dr,
Marietta, GA. 30066.
The final sendoff is Saturday July 27 at Kennesaw Memorial Park (Atlanta’s Lang’ata) Mariettta , Georgia.

We covet all your prayers.
Asanteni for all the support shown during this difficult time. I am standing on the promises of God. “He shall neither leave us nor forsake us.”
It is well with our souls.

Mr Muchene, who passed away on Monday July 8th after a short illness, was the husband to Christine Muchene (Madam President), Father to Joseph Chege, Dr. Paul Kiarie, Evans Ngamau and Monica Okall.
—————————————

For those asking where to send their donations, please see below:
CashApp # – 678-255-7904
Bank Account – Wells Fargo
A/C # 8716838357
Bank Address – 4309 Claires Brook Lane
Acworth Ga. 30101
Account Name – Francis Muchene Chege Memorial Fund

For more information, please contact:
Elder Kanyari Muthoga – 404-353-6317
Njeri Mungai – 404-435-6534
Pastor Karumba Kiroko – 678-656-8446

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Do you want to own an affordable home in Kenya?

Are you looking for a Church to fellowship in Atlanta Metro Area?

poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!