Connect with us


Dreams of my mother! Beautiful moments of Ken Okoth’s mum



On mother’s day, the late Kibra MP Ken Okoth posted his mother posting the hashtags, “#DreamsOfOurMothers, #HappyMothersDay and #FromKibraWithLove.”

In another post, Ken wrote, “#nanikamama?”

His mother, Angeline made it possible for him to be the man he became. After their father abandoned them, Ken’s mother doubled down and purposed to ensure that her six children had the best she could give them.

Ken Okoth
The late Ken Okoth as a baby

She had dreams for her children. The Kibra MP, Ken actualised them beyond her wildest imagination.

Ken in a past interview said, “My mum sold anything from clothes to paraffin and tomatoes in Kibra to bring up six children. I remember my days at Olympic Primary School in worn-out Sandak shoes and patched uniform. My sweater had holes in it.”

Ken Okoth
Ken Okoth as a teenager

He lived with his mother, Angeline, five siblings and other family members in a 12-by-12-foot, one-room house, before earning scholarships to boarding school, college and, ultimately, Georgetown’s graduate school.

He received a scholarship from Save the Children to attend boarding school in Nairobi and wanted to attend college after high school, but couldn’t afford the local university.

Ken Okoth
Kibra MP with a friend back in the day at Starehe Boys

Plans changed, however, when he delivered papers to New York’s St. Lawrence University Kenya Semester Program office in Nairobi and learned of a scholarship for Kenyan students.

READ ALSO:   Ken Okoth’s widow now disputes DNA test results, says she has ‘real’ outcome

He won the scholarship, became a German major, studied in Europe for three semesters – and never stopped learning.

After college, Ken was accepted to Georgetown’s BMW Center for German and European Studies but again couldn’t afford the tuition. When the dean’s office found a way to offer him a full scholarship,

“I knew I would always be grateful to Georgetown for giving me this incredible opportunity,” he says.

“Getting a great all-around education in history and international relations at the School of Foreign Service would prepare me for any career I had dreamed of.”

Ken Okoth

Reflecting his deep dedication, Ken can talk endlessly about his foundation and the children it serves.

“So many kids in Kibera don’t have someone representing them and advocating for them,” he says.

“If I shut up, no one will hear their stories, so I never shut up. I’m constantly telling their stories and being their ambassadors. It means a lot to me to use the privilege of my St. Lawrence and Georgetown education to serve others.”

‘Bro, Ken Okoth, I am sorry I missed your call,’ cries Ronnie Osumba

Check out photos of Ken and his mom.

Ken OkothKen Okoth


By Mpasho

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


MIRACLE: How Victoria Mugo, a Kenyan woman in US lost both her hands and legs [VIDEO]



A Kenyan woman from Aurora, Colorado, is a quadruple amputee. She lost her hands and her legs when pneumonia led to septic shock.

But Victoria Mugo , a mother of 1, is grateful to be alive.

Each year, more than 250,000 Americans die as a result of sepsis. The key is catching and treating it early.

Victoria is a celebrity of sorts at The Medical Center of Aurora (TMCA). The medical staff considers her a miracle.

For months, Victoria was in the ICU there. She lost both hands and both legs. Yet, on Monday, she came back to say “Thanks.”



“Because I’m grateful for life,” she told CBS4 Health Specialist Kathy Walsh.

“You don’t get any sicker than Victoria was,” explained Carolyn Golas, Sepsis Coordinator at TMCA.

On Jan. 9, Victoria was rushed to the ER with pneumonia. Within hours she was in septic shock, a toxic response to the infection.

Victoria Mugo

“She had about an 80% chance that she would not survive,” said Golas.

Victoria was put in a coma and on life support. Blood flow to her extremities slowed down. When the 38-year-old mother woke up, her hands and legs were dying.

“I could just snap them and not feel anything,” she said.

READ ALSO:   Ken Okoth’s funeral itinerary released

All four were amputated.

“I am not sitting in a corner feeling sorry for myself because I don’t have my arms or my legs, I’m walking now (on prosthetic legs),” Victoria said.

Victoria’s faith in God is her strength.

“He got me through it. He is the one who has brought me this far,” she said.

She said she has what matters most, her son, Alexander, and the rest of her loving family.

Her smile is a smile of gratitude. Her fighting spirit is fueled by faith.

HCA Healthcare patient Victoria Mugo, pictured with son Alexander, prior to her sepsis hospitalization

Facts about sepsis from TMCA:

  • Sepsis is one of the leading causes of death in the U.S. killing more than 250,000 patients per year.
  • In Colorado nearly 12,000 people will be diagnosed each year and nearly 3,000 will not survive.
  • Patients with septic shock have a mortality (death) rate of about 50-60%.
  • Once you have had severe sepsis you are at a greater risk of it reoccurring.
  • For more information you can go to the Sepsis Alliance at


Continue Reading


Job seeker loses phone, ID to crafty thief at Uhuru Park



A 30-year-old police impostor who allegedly stole a desperate job seeker’s phone promising to hire him to help in making deliveries to Kenya Defence Forces was charged with theft and impersonation.

Samuel Mwaniki Murigi was accused of stealing Evans Onyango Ogutu’s phone and national ID card at Imenti House on July 23.

Murigi was also accused of impersonation after presenting himself as a police officer attached to Central Police station Nairobi to Ogutu.

Ogutu was taking a rest at Uhuru Park after a job search in and around Nairobi CBD became fruitless when Murigi sat next to him while on-call, purporting he was advising his phantom boss that he would need to hire an extra hand to help him with meeting supplies.

Murigi claimed his boss had secured a contract to supply some items to Kenya Defence Forces and desperate Ogutu approached him for the job.

The suspect reportedly told Ogutu to accompany him to Imenti House to process a pass into military facilities to begin the job immediately and he obliged.

On arrival, Murigi reportedly took the phone and the ID card to proceed with the “process” and disappeared in thin air. The matter was reported to Parliament police station.

On July 4, Ogutu spotted Murigi at the same point and informed the police. Two undercover officers arrested Murigi and allegedly found pictures of himself in different police uniforms.

READ ALSO:   Raila: Okoth will not be buried

The suspect denied all the charges before chief magistrate Joyce Gandani of Kibera law courts.

He was freed on a Sh200,000 bond and an alternative cash bail of Sh30,000. The case will be mentioned on August 19.


Continue Reading


Police officer drowns while bathing in river




Police officers in Rachuonyo South sub county have launched investigations into the death of a 30-year-old police officer who drowned in River Awach while swimming.

Constable Godfrey Odhiambo Juma who was attached to Kosele Police Station met his death when he was swimming in the river near Riwo area in North Kamagak Location.

The tragic incident happened at around 1pm on Wednesday, Agust 6, with reports indicating the officer drowned deep into the waters and died on the spot.

Homa Bay county Police Commander Esther Seroney said officers from the Directorate of Criminal Investigation (DCI) have taken up the matter to ascertain how the officer met his untimely death.

Seroney noted the officer who was accompanied by two of his friends who are civilians.

She explained that the deceased jumped into the water to swim but was overpowered by strong currents thus drowning.

His colleagues who were waiting for him at the river banks became suspicious when they realised that he had taken long to resurface.

North Kamagak location chief Benson Midigo said the officer was a regular swimmer at the river.

“This is not his first time to the river; he has been going there to take a bath occasionally,” Midigo disclosed.

READ ALSO:   Bob, Eliud Kipchoge top list of 2019 most searched on Google

The body of the deceased was retrieved by members of the public with the help of police officers from Kosele police station and was taken to Rachuonyo sub-county hospital awaiting postmortem.

Continue Reading


Like us on Facebook, stay informed


2020 Calendar



error: Content is protected !!