Connect with us

Diaspora

Kenyans in Diaspora react to Uhuru’s order on E-passport application extension until March 2020

Published

on

You can now use your old Passport to travel to and from Kenya, at least for now.

President Uhuru Kenyatta on Thursday extended the deadline date for acquiring the new e-passport from August 31, 2019 to March 1, 2020.

Soon after the news broke, as expected,  Kenyans took to social media to express their views.

“It is a welcome relief,” said US based Ken Odhiambo on Twitter. “There was no way I was gonna beat that deadline,” he added.

Janet Kendi wrote from San Francisco, CA: “I really don’t care. First of all, I don’t like the way the government keeps issuing ultimatums to us as if we are kindergarten kids. Hata waongeze mpaka 2022..I am not boarding.”

Muhoroj commented: “Sisi ni watu wa kusukumwa. Hata Huduma namba wataongeza tu. Kwani tunakwenda wapi. Tuko hapa hapa tu.”

In the last few months, Kenyans in the Diaspora have been flocking their embassies and High Commissions in an attempt to beat the earlier deadline  set for the acquisition of the new travel document.

The Mission on R Street in Washington DC was a case in point where Kenyans complained of long Queues with some even claiming that they had been turned back after traveling thousands of miles from different cities in the vast North American country.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Trump orders crackdown on countries whose most citizens overstay their visas in US

In a press statement sent to media houses on Thursday evening, government spokesperson Cyrus Oguna said Kenyans can continue to travel with their old passports until the new set date for the deadline.

He also urged Kenyans to take advantage of the extension, and not wait for the last minute, to apply for the new passport as the exercise will continue countrywide.

DEADLINE EXTENSION

“His excellency President Uhuru Kenyatta has today directed the Cabinet Secretaries for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Amb Monica Juma and Ministry of Interior and Coordination of National government, Dr Fred Matiang’i to work with foreign missions across the world to facilitate the issuance of Visa’s to Kenyans on the current passports,” Oguna said.

“The directive has in effect, extended the deadline for travel on the new e-passport to march 1, 2020 for all Kenyans. Kenyans can therefore travel on their current (old blue) passport until 1st March 2020,” he further said.

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Diaspora

Trump says he is seriously looking at ending birthright citizenship

Published

on

BY BMJ MURIITHI

U.S. President Donald Trump has rekindled debate over the pros and cons of right to citizenship by birth. On Wednesday, he said his administration is seriously looking at ending the right of citizenship for U.S.-born children of non-citizens.

Speaking to reporters outside the White House, Trump also said he intends to end the right of citizenship to people who illegally  immigrated to the United States

“We’re looking at that very seriously, birthright citizenship, where you have a baby on our land, you walk over the border, have a baby – congratulations, the baby is now a U.S. citizen. … It’s frankly ridiculous,” he said.

This is not the first time Trump is expressing his displeasure with the the 14th amendment which made it easier for people from other countries to easily assimilate into the system. In 2018,  he he  told Axios news website that he would end “birthright citizenship” through an executive order.

Experts have however said such a move would run afoul of the U.S. Constitution.

The Constitution’s 14th Amendment, which was passed after the US Civil War with the aim of ensuring that black Americans had full citizenship rights, granted citizenship to “all persons born or naturalized in the United States.”

READ ALSO:   PHOTOS: Kenyan Woman Weds her Lesbian Lover in US

To date, that amendment has been used to grant citizenship to millions of people born in the United States, whether or not their parents are American citizens or legally in the country.

 

Continue Reading

Diaspora

Trump tightens Work Permit Rules for Immigrants Paroled into the US

Published

on

The Trump administration on Monday issued a new policy guideline that tightens in issuance of work permits to immigrants who have been paroled into the United States, including those who are otherwise inadmissible.

In the new policy guideline, contained in Volume 10 of the Policy Manual, The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) states that the agency has discretion to grant employment authorization to foreign nationals, and that applicants “are not entitled to employment authorization.”

USCIS says it will grant discretionary employment authorization on a case-by-case basis, “taking into account all factors and considering the totality of the circumstances of each individual case.” Such factors include the immigrant’s criminal record, and immigrant having been subject to a final removal order, or misrepresentation to an immigration officer.

Work permits are normally issued to foreign nationals who are paroled into the US for several reasons such as when adjusting status from a non-immigrant visa holder such as F-1 to an immigration visa holder/permanent resident or from an expired status to a green card holder. They are also issued to refugees/asylum applicants, as well as Temporary Protected Status (TPS) beneficiaries.

USCIS states that the need for the guidance arose from the “national emergency at the U.S. souther border where foreign nationals are entering the U.S. illegally.”

READ ALSO:   BREAKING: Canadian Parliament announces immediate plans to welcome over 1M immigrants

Immigration advocates say the move is one of Trump administration’s efforts to limit the number of work permits issued. “This is where they were heading from the beginning. They want to see fewer [wok permit] issued,” Natalie Tynan, an immigration lawyer, and former Immigration and Customs Enforcement policy unit chief said.

-Mwakilishi.com

Continue Reading

Diaspora

Permanent Residence Draw held in Canada as 3600 Candidates invited to apply

Published

on

The Canadian government has invited 3,600 individuals who participated in the Express Entry to apply for the country’s permanent residence in the latest draw held on Tuesday, August 20th.

The cut-off Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score for the August 12th draw was 457, which is the lowest score since May 1st.

Foreigners participating in the Express Entry draw are ranked based o the CRS score, which is based on factors such as the applicant’s age, education, skills level, work experience, proficiency in English or French, family ties to Canada, among others.

In order to qualify for the Express Entry pool, candidates must first meet the eligibility requirements for one of Canada’s three Federal High Skilled Economic-class immigration categories – the Federal Killed Worker Class, Federal Skilled Trades Class, and Canadian Experience Class.

Candidates enter a pool, and the best candidates are picked in a draw that takes place every two weeks. An Invitation to Apply (ITA) then gives the candidate the go-ahead to apply for Canadian permanent residence.
56,200  ITAs have thus far in 2019 been issued through the Express Entry program. The government has set a target of 81,400 ITAs for 2019 through this program.

To be eligible for the August 20th draw, candidates had to have submitted their profiles before March 24th, 2019.

READ ALSO:   US government releases the number of Kenyans sworn in as Citizens last year - 2,685

You can check if you meet the minimum score and also apply for Express Entry here.

SOURCE: Mwakilishi.com

Continue Reading

Do you want to own an affordable home in Kenya?

Are you looking for a Church to fellowship in Atlanta Metro Area?

poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!