Connect with us

News

Kiambu Governor Ferdinand Waititu is a missing man

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Kiambu Governor Ferdinand Waititu is a missing man.

Nearly 24 hours after the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) Noordin Haji ordered for his arrest over the irregular award of tenders worth Sh588 million, Mr Waititu’s whereabouts remain unknown.

Also missing are his wife Susan Wangari and Mr Luka Mwangi Waihenya. Detectives from the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) told Nairobi News that they were yet to find the trio.

“His whereabouts are still unclear as it is proving futile to get hold of him and his wife,” an EACC official who spoke in confidence told Nairobi News.

The detective said that the trio could not be traced at their known residences.

The last time the governor made a public appearance was on Thursday when he joined President Uhuru Kenyatta, Deputy President Dr. William Ruto, Former Prime Minister Raila Odinga during the opening of the Bidco Industrial Park in Ruiru.

MYSTERIOUS DISAPPEARANCE

It is his mysterious disappearance that forced EACC boss Twalib Mbarak to order the Governor, his wife and Mr Waihenya to turn themselves in.

Already, three individuals namely; Charles Mbuthia Chege, Joyce Ngina Musyoka and Simon Kabacho Kangethe who were being sought by detectives over the scandal have been nabbed.

READ ALSO:   Waititu cuts shot speech after being heckled by crowd – VIDEO

Mr Haji wants the governor arrested over the award of a tender for the upgrading of various roads in the county.

Governor Waititu is accused of awarding the tender to Testimony Enterprise Limited which is owned by his close relatives.

Sleuths believe that the directors of the said company are close associates of the first-term governor.

In a press release, the DPP said that Sh147,274,055.39 was irregularly paid to the company.

By nairobinews


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Lifestyle

Meru bishop likely to be buried after 15 years

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

It could take up to 15 years to bury the first African Catholic Bishop of Meru Silas Njiru at the St Joseph Cathedral in Meru town.

Bishop Njiru, who died aged 92 on April 28, while undergoing treatment at an Italian hospital was one of the first prominent Kenyans to die of Covid-19.

He had been living at the Blessed Joseph Allamano House of the aged run by the Consolata Missionaries in Alpigano, Turin, Italy, when contracted the disease.

He died and at the Rivoli Hospital after three days in the Intensive Care Unit.

The diocese of Meru says Italian authorities have ruled out bringing back the remains of the bishop in the short run and the earliest date that could happen is 2035.

“We were very keen to bring the bishop to the seat of the diocese – the cathedral where he should rest alongside his predecessor Bishop Lawrence Victor Bessone,” said Father David Kaberia who is in charge of the Meru Cathedral parish.

The bishop’s body is temporarily buried in Turin after Bishop Salesius Mugambi issued a deed to the Consolata Missionaries’ Superior and the Holy See in Rome allowing temporary interment.

READ ALSO:   Wife, daughter and Baba Yao's millions probe

“That was only because it was not possible to bring the remains immediately for interment in the seat of the diocese,” Fr Kaberia added.

The Catholic has a long-running tradition of burying their bishops in crypts below the cathedrals they served.

This practice of building crypts was drawn from the persecution of Christians and the believers who were buried in these caves when they died.

Patricia Ann Kasten writes in ‘Making Sense of Saints’ that the first churches were built near or directly over the graves of martyrs.

In 787 AD, the Second Council of Nicaea, a Catholic sitting, decreed all new churches would be built with relics of saints placed inside altars.

Father Kaberia added that the word Cathedral itself emanated from Cathedra which is a bishop’s official throne according to Mirriam Webster Dictionary.

The Meru Cathedral which is officially called St Joseph Cathedral has 12 crypts according to Father Kaberia.

Because of Covid-19 restrictions, only 15 people mostly Catholic clergy people attended the Meru memorial service in honour of Bishop Njiru on May 5 led by Bishop Mugambi.

A larger crowd of about 40 attended a subsequent memorial service days later at his birthplace in Kevote in Embu parish after the Embu County government relaxed the Covid-19 protocols in place at the time.

READ ALSO:   "Soko ya fitina, uongo na chuki imefungwa" Ruto to those claiming rift in Jubilee

At the Meru cathedral memorial service, Bishop Mugambi described his retired predecessor as a humble servant of God.

Fr Kaberia remembered the bishop as, “well gifted, articulate, good communicator, very prayerful and a generous man.”

“You never went to Bishop Njiru with a problem and left without a solution,” Said father Kaberia.

Bishop Njiru was in 1928 at Kevote Parish, Embu. He schooled at Mujwa Seminary, St Paul’s seminary in Nyeri and in Uganda.

He was ordained on December 17, 1955, by Bishop Victor Bessone. He served as an assistant parish priest in Tigania, Amungenti and Mujwa parishes before being appointed the Director of St Pius Seminary Nkubu in 1961.

In August 1968 he left for Rome for a master’s degree in Pastoral Theology at St Peter’s College and was appointed as rector of St. Thomas Acquinas, Nairobi in 1971.

In 1974 he was recalled to Meru diocese by Bishop Bessone and appointed as Vicar-General. On January 1, 1976, he was consecrated as an auxiliary bishop and was appointed the Bishop of the Meru on December 18, 1976, following the death of Bishop Bessone.

He retired in March 2004 and joined an Italian monastery. In 2018 he retired at Castello-Alpignano, a home for the elderly in Italy.

by Standardmedia.co.ke


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Man whose son died at concert asks police to arrest his killers

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Earlier this month, when Geoffrey Gikonyo began the search for his missing son, 17-year-old Stephen Munga, he prayed and hoped that they would find him alive and safe.

But this was not to be.

On November 12, the family’s search for Shanty, as Stephen’s friends fondly called him, led them to the City Mortuary in Nairobi.

Munga said that they were shocked to stumble upon Shanty’s battered body, a heartbreaking indicator that their last child and only son had died a painful death.

“His body seemed okay from the neck down but his head had a lot of injuries.

“It felt mushy when I touched it and one of his eyes had been perforated.

Stephen Munga aka Shanty

“I know my son died in a lot of pain,” Munga said.

In a desperate search for answers, Munga sought an explanation from the mortuary workers how his body ended up there.

“They told us that Shanty was beaten up by unknown people at the event, Nai Fest, held at Ngong Racecourse,”  Munga recounted.

A post-mortem showed that Shanty had died of severe head injuries. His family, which struggling to come to terms with his murder, says nothing was out of the ordinary when Shanty left home earlier that day.

READ ALSO:   Waititu mum on alleged family's hand in Kiambu graft probe

Munga said together with his wife, they granted Shanty permission to go spend time with his friends since he had consistently demonstrated he was a responsible young man.

He left home on the afternoon of Saturday, November 7, and this was the last they saw him alive.

Filled with teenagers

This was not the first time Shanty went out with his friends and would always return home on time, his father said.

This time, he failed to return home two nights in a row, something he had never done before.

It is still not clear how the 17-year-old Form Three student gained entry to Nai Fest, a music event meant for adults. But what is certain is that on November 7, the day of the concert and the day Shanty died, he was last seen alive at the event.

However, witnesses claimed that the event organisers knowingly admitted teenagers as IDs were not a requirement to be allowed in.

“The event was filled with teenagers. People were being attacked and molested.

“There weren’t any police officers at the gate,” Dennis Mbugua, who attended the event between told the Saturday Standard.

Other witnesses corroborated Mbugua’s claim said the event not only admitted teenagers but also sold them alcohol.

READ ALSO:   Senators to hold a special sitting to discuss Waititu’s impeachment

Revelations by the concertgoers, both through social media posts and interviews, painted the gory picture of a concert characterised by drug use, violence and outright disregard of Covid-19 safety measures.

Witnesses questioned by the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) officers at the Kabete Police Station where Shanty’s case is being handled said they saw him at the event.

One of the witnesses, Maria Njeri, told Saturday Standard that she saw Shanty being beaten earlier during the event only to stumble on his battered body on the ground on her way out of the venue.

“Around 8.30 pm, bouncers pulled Shanty from the crowd. One of them held his hands.

“I don’t know what happened after that but two people followed them outside, one of them in tears,” Njeri recalled the events leading up to Shanty’s death.

She said when the duo returned where they were seated, she heard one of them say, “I hope they won’t hurt him.”

Njeri and her friends found Shanty’s body at around 9.40pm, just over an hour after he had been dragged out of the concert.

She recalled police officers arriving at the scene and ordering them to leave.

Later that evening, Njeri shared information about Shanty’s death on social media.

READ ALSO:   Waititu, wife, daughter to be charged with graft

Last week, a video emerged of two men violently pounding and kicking Shanty while dragging him outside a tent at the venue.

The police are yet to arrest any suspects in relation to Shanty’s death.

Bridget Achieng, the event organiser denied that Shanty died at Nai Fest saying they found him injured backstage and rushed him to hospital.

DCI officers said they have commenced investigations into Shanty’s death after witnesses recorded statements on Wednesday.

Singers Francis Amisi (Frasha) and Hubert Nakitare, also known as Nonini joined Shanty’s family in seeking answers over his death.

By Standardmedia.co.ke


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Business

Cry of a Kenyan man whose Multi-Million-Shilling Apartments have gone unoccupied for 4 Years

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 2
  •  
  •  
  •  

A landlord in Kenya has been left counting losses after his real estate retirement plan goes down the drain.

85-year-old David Ndolo from Kitengela told the media that he had lost more than Ksh10 million in rent after his multimillion apartment block stayed unoccupied for 4 years.

Ndolo says he built the multi-million-shilling property in Kitengela, Kajiado County through his pension savings. Its construction was completed in 2014.

The building consists of five bedsitters and 19 two-bedroom houses, which should earn him a total of Sh250,000 per month.

“I have watched helplessly as my retirement investment crumbles,” he lamented.

According to neighbors, his tenants started fleeing due to sewer water suspected to be coming from an adjacent building linked to a retired government official.

Ndolo’s troubles began in 2014 when over 200 tenants occupied the adjacent building and sewer water started seeping into his apartments.

He says he reported the matter to the National Environmental Management Authority and public health officials but the authorities closed the building instead.

His daughter Roselyn Ndolo said that officials ordered the closure citing that the apartments were a health hazard.

When contacted by journalists, Kitengela Public Health Officer Benard Kiluva stated that he did not have enough information on the matter since he was recently posted to the area.

READ ALSO:   Waititu cuts shot speech after being heckled by crowd – VIDEO

Kajiado NEMA Director Joseph Kopejo promised to visit the site to probe the matter.

Government officials say Many landlords in the country have been contravening these provisions by either discharging untreated effluent into a public sewer or discharging it into the environment without an effluent discharge license.

“According to Kenyan law, it is illegal for  any person from discharging any effluent from sewer treatment works, industry or other sources into the environment without a valid effluent discharge license issued by the authority,” said a NEMA official.

 


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 2
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Special Offer: Own one starting at Ksh 3.7M


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2020 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending