Connect with us

News

Photos do not prove marriage, court tells woman

Published

on

Married people cannot use photographs as evidence of their union, the High Court in Embu has ruled in a dispute pitting a woman against her stepdaughter.

The pictures can only be used to tell a story about people and their interaction, Justice Florence Muchemi said on Monday.

The case involved the distribution of Mr Njeru Njagi’s estate.

It was filed by Njagi’s daughter Annete Wandia against Ms Irene Waithira, who claimed to be her stepmother.

Ms Wandia said she did not know about the relationship between her father and Ms Waithira.

While urging the court to revoke the letters of the administration of the estate issued to Ms Waithira, she maintained that the woman is not her stepmother.

Ms Wandia added that Ms Waithira did not participate in her father’s funeral arrangements and burial.

She said the circumstances surrounding the relationship between Ms Waithira and her father did not give the impression of a married couple.

Ms Wandia’s uncle Isaac Mugambi told the court that his brother’s known wife was Ms Wandia’s mother and she had died.

He, however, added that he knew Ms Waithira.

But Ms Waithira fought back, maintaining that she was married to Njagi in a traditional ceremony though she was not aware if dowry had been paid.

She produced 13 photographs taken with Njagi in her efforts to prove that she was his wife.

One of the photos was that of herself and Njagi and another was of a birthday party of her grandchild where Ms Wandia appeared to be served a cake by the child.

Ms Wandia did not explain to the court why she was at the birthday celebration.

On the claim that she did not attend Njagi’s burial, Ms Waithira tabled a photograph of her laying a wreath on the grave.

Justice Muchemi dismissed Ms Waithira’s use of the pictures to prove the marriage, though she said they demonstrated a deep interaction between Njagi and the respondent.

The court was told that Njagi took Ms Waithira as his companion in 1997 after his wife died a few years earlier.

By the time of his death, the two had cohabited for about five years, she said.

She added that they did not have children but Njagi adopted her daughter, named Rahab.

Justice Muchemi, however, said there was no customary marriage between the respondent and Njagi.

She added that there was cohabitation “whose circumstances can be presumed to be marriage”.

The judge said the parties conducted themselves in such a manner that a marriage could be presumed.

She said a long period of cohabitation may give rise to a presumption of marriage in favour of the party, as previously held by the East African Court of Appeal.

Due to the cohabitation, the court found that Ms Waithira was Njagi’s wife at the time of his death and not a stranger.

She said Ms Waithira is legally entitled to apply for a grant.

The judge ordered that a fresh grant be issued in the names of Ms Waithira and Ms Wandia.

By nation.co.ke

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Real Househelps of Kawangware star ‘Njambi’ welcomes baby boy

Published

on

The Real Househelps of Kawangware (THRK) actress Njeri Gachomba, popularly known as Njambi, has delivered her second child.

12 hours of labour but it was worth it. He’s finally here. We thank God. Julie Njoki and my sis in law Cynthia thank you for being there hiyo journey yote.Drama yote mmeona poleni,” stated an elated Njambi on her Instagram page.

Announcing her pregnancy two weeks ago while already at full term, the celebrated actress revealed that she wanted to be sure of her baby’s wellbeing before making the news public.

“I was not hiding the fact that I had a baby on the way, I wanted to confirm the well-being of the baby before I announced it on social media,” said Njambi.

A decision, informed, perhaps, by a low moment in 2018 when she suffered a miscarriage.

According to the actress who plays a sassy, comical character in the THRK show, the experience left her severely depressed and heartbroken.

“When we got pregnant in November 2017, we were not ready. I remember after the miscarriage on April 2018 everyone told us that everything happened for a reason,” she narrated.

She added that the loss was compounded by other struggles at the time including a broken relationship.

“Lord knows how hard losing that baby was, we were not only heartbroken but our relationship got broken too,” said the thespian.

“This is our miracle, it came at the right time with its blessings,” she said during her pregnancy announcement.

News that she had delivered has excited her fans base with many flooding her pages with congratulatory messages.

By SDE

Continue Reading

News

LIVE UPDATES: Sonko to appear in court following dramatic arrest in Voi

Published

on

Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko  and others are expected to be arraigned before the anti-corruption court Friday to face charges over the loss of Sh357 million.

The City County boss was on Friday morning arrested in Voi.

This followed orders by  Kenya’s public prosecutor  DPP Noordin Haji who called for his immediate arrest and arraignment.

Other City Hall officials expected in court are county secretary Peter Mbugua, members of the tender committee Patrick Mwangangi, Samuel Ndung’u, Edwin Kariuki, Lawrence Mwangi, and Preston Miriti, among others.

The governor and the officials will face charges of conspiracy to commit an economic crime, willful failure to comply with the law and conflict of interest.

Watch live updates here courtesy of KTN:

Haji said investigations by the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) had  sufficient evidence to sustain the charges.

“Following a comprehensive investigation by EACC and independently reviewing the investigation files, I have found sufficient evidence to warrant prosecution and I have therefore ordered immediate arrest and arraignment in court of Nairobi Governor Mike Mbuvi Sonko,” the DPP stated.

“Investigations into these crimes have been challenging because of the repeated attempts by the accused to obstruct the course of the investigation by deploying intimidation tactics in addition to using goons to threaten law enforcement officials carrying out their constitutional mandates,” the DPP added.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Pressure mounts on Citizen TV to stop airing ’10 over 10′ show

Published

on

“A national television station such as Citizen TV should not bring a show which is more of a discotheque with all sorts of pornography, nudity and sexual provocation being promoted” said Kioko.

The director of Kenya Films and Classification Board Dr Ezekiel Mutua has in the past raised similar concerns about the show.

However, Dr Mutua says it’s impossible to cancel the show because it is comes on air after the watershed period.

The show, which is hosted by Willis Raburu, airs on Citizen TV every Friday night.

Here are some of online comments about the show:

Dr. Ezekiel Mutua, MBS

@EzekielMutua

I am very happy to see the campaign against 10/10 – the obscene crap run by @WillisRaburu on @citizentvkenya. Sometimes I wonder whether the owners of the station care about morality. Would they let their kids watch the discotheque on TV. Shame on the managment & owners too!

671 people are talking about this

Shem@Am_Shem

If you wouldn’t watch a show with your parents, then it shouldn’t be aired on Live TV

See Shem’s other Tweets

NaiBlogger™@NaiBlogger

Royal Media Services Managing Director, Wachira waruru called cops to stop a team from @CitizenGoAfrica led by @annmtave from going to the studios to present the petition signatures to . Selling programs using teenagers nudity is a No. Kenyans are tired
📸||courtesy

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter
135 people are talking about this

Ann Kioko

I would rather be in jail fighting for the right thing than remain relevant while doing nasty things like they do on Fridays @citizentvkenya . stop it @WillisRaburu . You can resign if you are forced into this

View image on Twitter

Nyamogo Gogni@ejnyamogo

Thank you for standing up for the rights of the and their future. It is very unfortunate that mainstream media promotes today is tue name of Now!

See Nyamogo Gogni’s other Tweets

Kwale Gunner 🇰🇪@Sam_Lulli

This show parades tens of indecently dressed youth who dance and twerk live on television. The almost naked youth dance in sexually provocative styles while the disc jokey makes sure to spin the dirtiest of the songs.

128 people are talking about this

She’s The One@NikitaHemising

This show promotes teen pregnancy and diseases such as STIs and HIV and Aids. When the show ends it almost 1am in the morning. This where they engage in dangerous sexual activities

280 people are talking about this
BY NN

Continue Reading


Are you looking for a Church to fellowship in Atlanta Metro Area?

poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!