Connect with us

News

Sonko’s shocking cancer data on MPs-VIDEO

Published

on

Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko on Monday disclosed that more than 60 Kenyan MPs are currently battling cancer.

“Cancer is a serious disease. The reports we have now indicate that there are over 60 MPs with cancer… As leaders, we need to strategize on the way forward and how we will deal with the disease,” said Governor Sonko.

He made the disclosure while addressing journalists at Lee Funeral Home in Nairobi following the death of Bomet Governor Dr Joyce Laboso on Monday.

Kenya has lost two leaders to cancer in less than a week. Kibra MP Ken Okoth died last Friday and Bomet Governor Joyce Laboso died on Monday.

Last year, Juja MP Francis Munyua Waititu, who was successfully treated for brain cancer in India, said he met nine Kenyan MPs and four Senators in the Asian country, who were equally seeking treatment for the deadly disease.

TIME TO TALK

Speaking to the Standard, the MP said the number of Kenyans suffering from the killer disease is alarming and it is time to talk about it boldly.

“The situation is serious. We have for example about 63 MPs and thousands of other Kenyans suffering from cancer. We must get out and talk about it boldly,” he said.

READ ALSO:   DNA test confirms Ken Okoth fathered Anne Thumbi’s son

“I met hundreds of cancer patients from Kenya alone. Among them were nine of my fellow MPs and four Senators. The cancer scourge is enormous and we can no longer afford to bury our heads in the sand. We must get out and talk about it,” he said.

He disclosed that he personally spent Sh1.8 million on housing alone for the period he was there.

“How many Kenyans can afford that?” he posed.

40,000 Kenyans are diagnosed with cancer annually, while at least 15,000 people die of cancer every year, according to the Kenya National Bureau of Statistics.

By Nairobinews

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Terror suspect arrested for threatening to kill DCI Kinoti 

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

A Nairobi woman who was recently arrested for sending letters laced with deadly chemicals to the Canadian embassy in Nairobi has yet again been found on the wrong side of the law.

Tracy Wairimu Ndegwa was arrested on Thursday, August 6, for threatening to kill the Director of Criminal Investigations (DCI) George Kinoti.

Wairimu is reported to have threatened to kill the DCI boss shortly after she was released to go for a mental checkup at DCI headquarters.

She was to be charged on Friday, August 7, but her arraignment coincided with her appointment at the Mathari Mental Hospital where she was to undergo mental checkup.

Like in the case of the Canadian embassy, the woman sent Kinoti letters containing a white powder and alleged he would die after inhaling the powder.

Prior to sending the letters laced with chemicals to the Canadian envoy Lisa Stadelbauer, Wairimu had been arraigned at Milimani Law Courts for threatening to kill another person and was released on KSh 50,000 bond.

She was to be charged before senior resident magistrate Charles Mwaniki of the Kibera Law Courts for threatening to kill Stadelbauer but the matter was postponed until August 24, 2020.

READ ALSO:   The Sonkos seal birthday celebration with kiss

Her lawyer, Steve Ogolla, said she was an outpatient at Mathari but the prosecution said he had been making similar claims without furnishing courts with any documents to prove the same.

The suspect was released on KSh 100,000 bond and allowed to honour her appointment with the mental hospital until August 24 when she will be arraigned for the two offences of threatening to kill Kinoti and Stadelbauer.

Continue Reading

News

Sonko celebrates Elachi’s resignation 

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

Nairobi governor Mike Sonko seems to be in a celebratory mood after the resignation of Nairobi County Assembly Speaker Beatrice Elachi.

Moments after Elachi announced her resignation, Sonko posted several videos on his social media accounts that suggested that he was celebrating the exit of speaker.

In one of the worship songs he posted, Sonko captioned “Yuko Mungu Mbiguni Asikiaye Maombi yetu (There is God in Heaven who hears our prayers)”.

In another video, Sonko said that “We have seen your mighty hand Lord”, before he added another one with the infamous Jubilee Party supporters campaign slogan that “sio juju ni maombi (It’s not witchcraft, it’s prayers)”.

Sonko and Elachi have been at loggerheads, and at one time Elachi declared herself the governor after Sonko was barred from accessing his office.

Announcing her resignation today, Elachi accused Sonko of being one of the people after her life.

“Governor Sonko, you cannot go on threatening people’s lives and their families. You also have a family. You cannot have everything, just nurture what God has given you,” Elachi said in a statement.

Former Nairobi County Assembly Speaker Beatrice Elachi and Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko

READ ALSO:   Sonko drivers charged with blocking Uhuru
Continue Reading

News

CS Kagwe on the spot over statement on Ramadhan Kajembe, wife deaths 

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

The children of the late Changamwe MP Ramadhan Kajembe have demanded an apology from Health CS Mutahi Kagwe in 14 days without which they threatened to sue him.

Kagwe, during a press briefing on August 9, 2020, had cited a case of a son who refused to accept a positive Covid-19 diagnosis and infected his elderly parents, who have since passed on.

“He (the son) refused to self isolate which led to the infection of his sister and parents. Unlike him, they are elderly and as usual with underlying conditions so they were impacted more.

“As we speak, this family has lost the one elderly family member, the head of the household just two weeks after burying his mother,” Kagwe disclosed.

Speaking from the late MP’s home, the children expressed displeasure at Kagwe’s sentiments which they stated had attracted stigmatisation.

The family acknowledged that both Kajembe and his wife had died of Covid-19 and asked the government to allow them time to mourn.

“It is unfortunate that a whole cabinet secretary can come out and issue a mere statetement that a young man who brought coronavirus to his parents. We are urging the CS to withdraw the sentiments against my family,” one of Kajembe’s sons stated.

READ ALSO:   Impeachment motion against Nairobi Governor Sonko to be tabled next week

The family was also bitter that Governor Mike Sonko posted Kagwe’s sentiments on his official Facebook account and attached photos of Kajembe’s burial.

Led by Kajembe’s children – Harun Kajembe, Sudi Kajembe, Mohammed Kajembe, Fatma Kajembe and their brother- in-law Mabruk Juma, they demanded that the CS and Governor Mike Mbuvi Sonko should apologise within the next 14 days, failure to which, they would take legal action.

“Death is inevitable. It is very sad that the Cabinet Secretary will accuse our brother of killing our parents. You can only imagine the kind of stigma this has brought to our family,” Harun stated.

Contrary to Kagwe’s sentiments, the family stated that their brother contracted Covid-19 but immediately self-isolated in one of the hospitals in Mombasa.

Kajembe died on August 7, 2020, at the Pandya Hospital, two weeks after his first wife Mama Aziza Kajembe died.

In March, the MP had lost his second wife Mama Zaharia Kajembe at the Aga Khan Hospital in Mombasa County, where she had been undergoing treatment.

The MP is survived by 16 children

Continue Reading



Powered by DaysPedia.com

Current Time in Alexandria
014642am
Fri, August 7



poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2020 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!