Connect with us

News

Woman’s attempt to fake pregnancy aborts on delivery

Published

on

Dickens Okoth walked into Pumwani Maternity Hospital in Nairobi, expecting to hold his bundle of joy, only for him to stumble into a rude shock.

His wife Sheila Adhiambo was not pregnant, after all.

In a drama that has all the hallmarks of a Greek tragedy, Adhiambo, 26, had faked a pregnancy in a desperate bid to hold onto her man.

It all started last year when Okoth and Adhiambo met and started a relationship. They met frequently as they mulled life as wife and husband.

But as is normal with many relationships, the two started having disagreements, which threatened to end their love affair.

Apparently ruing the thought of losing her man, Adhiambo decided to acquire “insurance” against the looming separation.

Towards the end of last year, she disclosed to Okoth that she was pregnant and swiftly moved into his house.

“I was prepared and had made arrangements to ensure the baby had everything it needed,” he said, as he struggled to come to terms with the unfolding events.

Pregnancy complications

For almost nine months, the couple lived together as husband and wife while Okoth contemplated his imminent change of status to a new father.

But Adhiambo’s mind was preoccupied with a scheme that would ensure her “pregnancy” bubble remained intact.

She had encountered a desperate 24-year-old woman, who had been disowned by a boyfriend who had impregnated her. Adhiambo struck a deal to adopt the child upon delivery.

Adhiambo agreed to take care of the expectant woman, Phoebe Achieng’, until she delivered. The agreement involved Adhiambo taking her to a

pre-natal clinic where Achieng’ registered her details using Adhiambo’s Identity Card and other details.

Surprisingly, Okoth did not suspect anything and as the date of birth drew closer, he grew increasingly excited and started saving for the big day.

“She kept me updated whenever she went for pre-natal visits,” said Okoth. “Everything seemed in order.”

As a good husband, Okoth regularly gave his wife money for a taxi “for her comfort and that of the unborn baby”.

Okoth also ensured the wife had enough money for her needs and to take care of any pregnancy complication.

Narrating the ordeal to People Daily yesterday, Okoth revealed how he had made arrangements for the grand arrival of the newborn, ensuring the infant would have all essential supplies.

Okoth narrated how Adhiambo had woken up at night on several occasions “over pregnancy complications. She also suffered from morning sickness”.

Come last Sunday and Adhiambo went to Pumwani Maternity Hospital and promptly informed her husband she had gone into labour.

On Tuesday, she informed him she had given birth to a baby boy.

The excited “father” rushed to the hospital.

Upon arrival at Pumwani, Okoth was directed to Ward 4. It was here that his world came tumbling down. He was shocked to find that the woman who was admitted there, though she had the same names as his wife, was not Adhiambo.

Alarmed, he asked hospital management to counter-check their records.

In an apparent well-choreographed scheme, the records showed Okoth was the child’s father.

The records also bore Okoth’s and his wife’s cellphone numbers.

However, it was later established that the woman who had given birth was Achieng’, who was paid to surrender her child immediately after giving birth.

Pumwani Hospital officials had noted that the photo on the ID Achieng’ had used to register did not match her face.

Okoth arrived at the hospital armed with nappies, shawls, towels and clothes. He was speechless.

Raised suspicion

“I am yet to come to terms with whatever happened. But if that is the extent to which a woman can go to sustain a marriage, then the world is coming an end,” Okoth said yesterday.

Hospital authorities said Adhiambo had arrived at the hospital pretending to be in severe pain.

She was admitted toWard 4 and tried to release Achieng’ and take over the infant.

It was at this point that the hospital management alerted police who arrested her.

She was taken to Shauri Moyo Police Station. Achieng’ was left at the hospital under police watch.

Police sources said Adhiambo told them getting a child was the only way of sustaining her relationship with Okoth.

Meanwhile, Achieng’ told police that she would have loved to keep her child but decided to “donate” him since she had no means of raising him.

“The father of the child disappeared soon after learning I was pregnant. I don’t have any means and every time I tried to call him, he did not pick my calls,” she said.

Nairobi County Commander Philip Ndolo said police were investigating a possible “conspiracy to commit a felony”.

He said the woman would be arraigned once investigations were complete.

Okoth and at least three employees of Pumwani have recorded statements with the police.

“It is one of those shocking cases that leaves one numb. This woman must be very creative,” Ndolo told People Daily on telephone.

Pumwani Hospital administrator Geoffrey Mosiria said once they detected the mismatch in the ID photo and Achieng’s face, they alerted security at the facility.

“We want to thank Governor Mike Sonko because security at the hospital has been beefed up and child theft no longer happens,” he said.

Last week, police in Webuye, Bungoma county, arrested a 22-year-old Ugandan woman who faked a pregnancy in a bid to steal a baby at the Lugulu Mission Hospital.

The suspect, identified as Josephine Nafula, who is married to a Kenyan man living in Kamukuywa, was brought to die hospital on Monday night by her mother-in-law after allegedly complaining of labour pains.

Hospital administrator Jackson Fukwo told journalist that the suspect who attempted to steal a child had been transferred from Makhonge dispensary where she was admitted at the maternity wing where she spent the night.

He added that while admitted at the maternity wing, she resisted being examined, raising the alarm among doctors.

Upon close examination, she was found to have stashed rags on her belly to fake the pregnancy.

“Upon further interrogation, she confessed that she had had four miscarriages in past marriages,” said Fukwo.

A pregnancy test conducted on her turned out negative

Source:People Daily

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Jacob ‘Ghost’ Mulee named the new Harambee Stars coach

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

Celebrated coach and media personality Jacob Ghost Mulee has made a return to the National team.

This comes just a day after Head coach Francis Kimanzi and his entire technical team was shown the door.

Football Kenya Federation (FKF) confirmed the appointment of Jacob ‘Ghost’ Mulee and has since unveiled him.

Mulee first assignment is to prepare the team that will face Comoros in AFCON Qualifier match that’s set to be played in November.

Kimanzi left the scene after he masterminded what had been tipped to be an unlikely friendly win against Zambia on October 9 at Nyayo Stadium.

He was appointed in 2019 to replace Sebastien Migne who he worked with as an assistant coach.

Mulee return reminds Kenyans when national team charges helped to qualify for the 2004 Afcon edition in Tunisia.

He is also credited to have mentored the current J1 League top scorer Michael Olunga and his appointment has provided an opportunity for the duo to work again at national level.

Under Nick Mwendwa Mulee becomes the fifth coach to have been appointed since he took office in 2016.

Stanley Okumbi took over in February 2016 and exited in October 2017 while Paul Put who led Kenya to Cecafa title took over in November 2017 and left in February 2018.

Migne who led the country to the 2019 Afcon finals but, a Chan qualifying setback against Tanzania saw him part ways with the team on mutual consent paving the way for Kimanzi’s rise to the helm.

Kimanzi remained in charge from August 2019 to October 20, 2020, and he left just days after Mwendwa had secured another four-year term as the FKF president.

Mulee and his technical bench are expected to help Harambee Stars fight for back-to-back Afcon qualifications with two matches against Egypt and Togo already played.

Continue Reading

News

Lolani Kalu lands lucrative TV job 

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

Former NTV journalist Lolani Kalu is set to make TV comeback after landing a job in a local upcoming TV station.

The talented journalist made headlines a month ago after his plight after retirement was highlighted with his fans calling on the public to come to his rescue.

Speaking to fellow journalists today, Lolani disclosed that he had just signed a one-year contract with TV47 that will see him become coast regional reporter for the station.

According to the 57-year old, the opportunity came after his fans saw him shooting a personal show with one of the artists he was interviewing having TV47 branding.

The excited fans then called the station to find out if he had signed a deal with them and that is what prompted the young TV station to hand Lolani the contract.

He said that he was very grateful and delighted for having another chance in media, adding that the opportunity to work with the station will help him get back on his feet after financial constraints in recent years.

Lolani hopes to revive some of the shows he had while still on NTV like Gumzo Mtaani and Malinmwengu na Lolani at TV47.

He further promised to give back to his fans who came in scores to support him when his story went viral on social media, making him believe in himself and rise again.

He also lauded supporters who did a fundraiser for him through some of the shows that he has since started since he bought a new camera.

He stated that discussions are in progress with TV47 to schedule the exact date for him to return to the screens after putting pen to paper with the TV station.

Lolani also thanked his fans for believing in his work adding that he spent the money they contributed for him in acquiring equipment including a camera worth Sh370, 000.

Continue Reading

News

Eldoret’s Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital overwhelmed by COVID-19 patients 

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

The surge in COVID-19 cases outside Nairobi has now begun overwhelming hospitals in other counties, among them Moi Referral.

A report by the Standard said that the Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital in Eldoret was getting overrun by COVID-19 patients.

Moi Teaching is the second-largest referral hospital in Kenya after Kenyatta National Hospital.

A doctor speaking to The Standard said that over the past two weeks, the hospital had witnessed a surge in COVID cases.

The facility also doubles up as a COVID-19 testing centre.

“The number of COVID-19 cases in MTRH is shocking. It is really sad witnessing patients in respiratory distress. This is so unfortunate,” the doctor, requesting anonymity, told The Standard.

The doctor also revealed that many of his colleagues were down with the virus, which has infected over 45,000 in Kenya.

The number of patients requiring high volumes of oxygen and ICU admission was rising, the doctor said. He also revealed that the hospital isolation wards were full.

Uasin Gishu has emerged as a county to watch as cases surged there in recent weeks.

Yesterday, the county tied with Nairobi, each reporting 116 cases.

The day before that, it came in third with 17 cases.

The area governor, Jackson Mandago, confirmed the fast spread of the virus in his county.

“The surge is real. The disease has spread and we have seen people that we know collapsing and dying, only to test positive for COVID-19 post-humously.” Mandago said.

The county recently buried Huruma MCA, Peter Chomba, who succumbed to the virus.

Indeed, residents in Uasin Gishu have lowered their guards completely.

Sources from the area indicate that people have completely discarded masks and are holding funerals and other large gatherings.

Continue Reading


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2020 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!