Connect with us


Census official pees in family’s living room



A census enumerator has been arrested after he showed up intoxicated at a resident’s house in Muranga County.

The official turned up at a local’s house in Mukuyu on Thursday night staggering and disorderly. In the full glare of the family, which included children, he removed his trousers and started urinating in the living room.

The enumerator did not have census gadgets at the time of the incident.

Muranga East police boss Alex Musyia said the owner of the house, who is a Nyumba Kumi official, made a distress call and neighbours alerted the police, who arrested the drunk man.

“The census official was taken to Murang’a Hospital where he was stabilised,” the police boss said.

After he sobered up, the census official was interrogated and he led detectives to his girlfriend’s house where the census gadgets were found.

“We are verifying whether the gadgets have been tampered with,” Mr Musyia said.

The police boss said the official turned up at the house of the Nyumba Kumi official who was supposed to accompany him for the census activities.

Mr Musyia said the enumerator will be charged in court on Friday.


READ ALSO:   Chief arrested in Wajir for manipulating census
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Keroche heiress’ lover to face murder charge, says police as families disagree



Out on bond, fisherman says the memories of the time he spent with Tecra Muigai keep him going and that he misses her terribly

Omar Lali Omar, the man now accused of killing the daughter of billionaire Tabitha Karanja, is not angry with those behind his woes even as police confirmed they will press murder charges against him.

He says while in remand, his love for Tecra Muigai and the memories they shared together kept him going. “Although it hurts that I was not there to send her to heaven, I know she is well and she knows I miss her,” Omar told The Standard in an exclusive interview from his home in the island’s Shela village.
He was arrested on May 2 and released on May 29, 13 days after the burial of Tecra in Naivasha. This is what Omar — a 51-year-old fisherman, father of five girls and a boy, three-time divorcee — says of the events of the night of April 23.
He got to the luxury rental house he was sharing with Tecra at around 6pm, had dinner, took some vodka, ate some more and then slept at a couch stretched out on the second floor. The last thing he remembers about the moments before he fell asleep were the plans they had been brooding of a future together.
He is not sure if any dreams visited him that night. But he is sure of a few facts — the loud thud that woke him up, the discovery of her at the bottom of the stairs, a mad dash to a dispensary and later a referral hospital to get Tecra medical attention. However, law enforcement say Omar — a nearly illiterate school drop-out, beach boy, mysterious boat operator with no known stable source of income — has a case to answer.
After a night of drinking and merry making, an argument ensued between him and his lover Tecra. The argument later turned physical and he hit her so hard she fell down a flight of stairs, badly injuring the left side of her face.
“We have enough evidence to prove that it was murder,” DCI boss George Kinoti told The Standard yesterday.
According to the post-mortem, the actual cause of her death was not just inconclusive: Omar and Tecra’s families would not agree on the report. While they agreed on a cause of death — trauma to the left side of the face as a result of a fall down a flight of stairs — they could not agree on what caused the fall. Was it accidental or intentional? Named the only suspect in the death of Tecra going on two months, Omar is yet to be charged with murder but spent 27 days behind prison bars. On the day of his release, all indications were that he would spend another night behind bars.
His mother had all but given up. Tecra’s family, led by lawyer James Orengo, and the prosecution were intent on getting another seven days to continue with their investigations, but the magistrate issued a bond order that shone a light on Omar’s wish to spend the night with his family.
More evidence
The bond was set at Sh300,000 by the courts. The family didn’t have the money so they put up collateral. Title deeds to two pieces of land were submitted. One, for the house that Omar grew up in, the other belonging to his mother’s family.
And the surrender of Omar’s passport. At around 5:30pm, the doors opened and Omar stepped out into the narrow corridor of the cell block. Dreadlocks held back by a colourful hairband, a tri-colour vest and a kikoy trouser, he faced east, knelt down and murmured a prayer to Allah.
A speedboat waited at the main Lamu jetty to take him to the other side of the Island. “Lakini sina amani bado moyoni (I have no peace),” he says. “I know they are missing their daughter too.”
The prosecution indicated that the state was still gathering evidence that would help them piece together events that led to the death. Investigators have made multiple visits to Jaha House, where the two spent most of their times. Multiple statements have been taken from the doctors who attended to her. Omar has been questioned many times.
He had no alibi. He admitted to being in the company of Tecra. To taking her to Shela Dispensary first for first aid, then to King Fahd Referral Hospital for further checks. To calling Tecra’s mother who was away in Nairobi and informing her of her daughter’s deteriorating situation.
He admitted being among those who flew with Tecra to Nairobi aboard an air rescue ambulance. By every account, Tecra was a rare person. Born in May of 1990 in Naivasha, she was the fourth and last born child of Joseph and Tabitha Karanja. On the day she was buried she was eulogised as someone who had created a distinct identity that set her apart from her peers. As an enthusiastic individual full of curiosity.
A curiosity that perhaps led her to Omar’s path on June 6, 2019 when the two met. Now, from the breeze kissed shores of Shela, Omar awaits the wheels of justice to turn. He says he only hopes for two things.
Private burial
“That the wheels turn in my favour and that I never stop seeing her face or hearing her voice every time I close my eyes to dive into the ocean.”
For now, both the Karanjas and the Lalis have only the memories of someone who was central in their lives. Someone who was the glue in their relationship.
“She has left indelible footprints in the hearts of those who knew her,” read her eulogy at the private burial.
by the Standard

READ ALSO:   46 Kabonokia sect members jailed up to one year for evading census
Continue Reading


Man in 46-day isolation freed, then slapped with new charge



When Kelvin Aura heard that he would be held in a police cell after being discharged from a Homa Bay Covid-19 treatment centre, he was disillusioned.

Aura , who was discharged on Saturday, had spent 46 days in an isolation ward, and could not understand the turn of events.

The 27-year-old is the driver who ferried eight mourners with an empty coffin to attend a burial at Kadede village, Kamser Seka Sub-location, Rambira Location in Rachuonyo North Sub-county in April.

Since then, he has been isolated at Malela Covid-19 treatment centre in Ndhiwa Sub-county. When Aura was released at about 11.30am, he knew he would go for a 14-day self-quarantine in his Nairobi home as instructed by medical personnel. His second tribulation began when he arrived at Kendu Bay Police Station to pick his vehicle.

The vehicle had been moved to the police station when he was in quarantine at Homa Bay Kenya Medical Training College in April. Aura said while at the police station he was told he would be charged for giving false information.

“I fainted after realising I was being held instead of going for self-quarantine in my house for 14 days as medics had instructed me. It is then that I was released to go to the home where I had ferried the mourners,” Aura said.

READ ALSO:   There are 8.2M Kikuyus, 6.8M Luhyas, 6.4M Kalenjins and 5.1M Luos - Census

Directorate of criminal investigations

He was released and instructed to report to the office of the Directorate of Criminal Investigations in Nairobi on Tuesday (today). Armed with the appropriate documentation from health officials, the youth was allowed to travel to Nairobi. “I do not know why I am being charged. I only expected to be in self-quarantine,” he said.

Aura, a resident of Mumias in Kakamega County lives in Nairobi where he works as a driver for a transport firm. He decried financial challenges orchestrated by his isolation. “I have not paid two months house rent of Sh30,000. I have only Sh2,500. That is why I am appealing to lawyers and human rights organisations to rescue me,” Aura said.

At the treatment centre, life became unbearable for him due to solitude. His being asymptomatic made him deny that he was coronavirus positive. Aura objected his condition by recording a video which went viral, saying he was not sick.Instead, he appealed to the government to release him from the centre.

“I had no signs of illness yet health professionals were telling me that I was coronavirus positive. I was lonely and desperate,” Aura said.

The denial forced county health officials to counsel him. “They counselled me until I accepted that I was Covid-19 positive. Today, I thank God that I am negative and I am out of the treatment centre,” Aura said. He said the medics treated him well. “They fed me well and gave me drugs. Anything I required they provided for,” he said.

READ ALSO:   It’s one year in jail or Sh100k fine if you boycott upcoming census

County Health Executive Richard Muga said Aura’s sixth and seventh tests proved he is coronavirus negative. “His first five tests showed he was emitting the virus. The latest tests show he has recovered,” Prof Muga said. Rachuonyo North Sub-county Police Commander Sarah Chumo said she was making inquiry on Aura’s detention at Kendu Bay Police Station.


Continue Reading


Uhuru: Why it can’t wait any longer



President Uhuru Kenyatta yesterday signalled the urgency for Constitutional change and necessity for a new political mindset.

In a passionate pitch made at State House Nairobi during the Madaraka Day celebrations, the President left every impression that he is determined to preside over far-reaching constitutional amendments that will “secure the country’s growth and development”. Previously, Opposition leader Raila Odinga has been the avowed champion of constitutional change.

Conversely, Deputy President William Ruto has been blowing hot and cold with regard to the changes, believing they would cloud an already clear succession path. Both Ruto and Raila were at the State House event.

The past one month has been characterised by ceaseless pounding of the DP’s political edifice and the routing out of his allies.

“A Constitution is not an end in itself; it is a means to a greater end. It is a living document. And if certain elements of the Constitution outlive their historical purposes, they become a cancer. They must be removed or they will infect the good elements of the mother law,” said Uhuru.

Time for change

According to the President, the time for the change is now. He reminded the country of past constitutional changes in 1991 and 2008.

READ ALSO:   There are 8.2M Kikuyus, 6.8M Luhyas, 6.4M Kalenjins and 5.1M Luos - Census

“I am already discerning a constitutional moment. Not a moment to replace the 2010 Constitution, but one to improve on it. A moment that will right what we got wrong in 2010,” he said.

Of the 1991 repeal of Section 2(a) reintroducing multiparty, President Kenyatta said the section had outlived its historical purposes and morphed into “political cancer.”

The 2008 National Accord and Reconciliation Act changes, he said, happened out of historical necessity. In 2008, Raila became the country’s second Prime Minister after Mzee Jomo Kenyatta who transformed into President and Head of State a year after independence. “If the political architecture provided by a Constitution cannot support the growth and progress of a nation, that Constitution becomes cancer to the body politick,” said President Uhuru.

Quoting Kenya’s founding fathers, Mzee Kenyatta, Jaramogi Odinga and Tom Mboya, he said a good Constitution must be responsive to the aspirations of a nation and be a means to a greater end. “Having been involved in the Lancaster constitution-making process in the 1960s, Mboya cautioned the nation against constitutional rigidity,” he said.

At the base of these changes, however, the nation must obtain the right mindset and re-imagine itself, he said. Although the constitutional change is at the core of this re-imagination, a change in civic culture will crown and firm it up.

READ ALSO:   46 Kabonokia sect members jailed up to one year for evading census

New kind of leadership

We cannot re-imagine our nationhood without changing our political architecture. And we cannot change this architecture without re-engineering our Constitution,” he said.

Quoting a sermon by Cannon Donaldson of Westminster Abbey, the President bemoaned the difficulties of policing a political culture beset with skulduggery where politics is defined by “Wealth without Work; Pleasure without Conscience; Knowledge without Morality and Worship without Sacrifice”.

He complained of a leadership keen on taking shortcuts, devoid of integrity and lacking in national duty and devotion.

“We need political leaders totally committed to promoting not self, but what will transform lives of our people in line with what our founding fathers yearned for. Indeed, as Martin Luther King Jr said: ‘We need political leaders not in love with money, but in love with justice. Not in love with publicity, but in love with humanity’,” he said.

By The Standard

Continue Reading


Like us on Facebook, stay informed


2019 Calendar

August 2019


error: Content is protected !!