Connect with us

News

Kibra poll: Mariga to compete for Jubilee ticket

Published

on

Football star McDonald Mariga is among the candidates who will compete for the Jubilee ticket for the Kibra by-election, the party’s National Election Board (NEB) has confirmed.

“As by 5.30 pm on Friday, we had received a list of 16 candidates. We are proceeding with interviews and by Monday afternoon, a decision on who will be the Jubilee party ticket flagbearer will be officially announced,” lawyer Andrew Musangi, the Jubilee NEB chairperson, told Nation.

The 32-year-old player who played for Italian football giants Inter Milan is currently without a club. He has previously played for various football clubs around the world among them Real Sociedad, Parma, Helsingborg and Real Oviedo.

Other candidates who have been cleared are Morris Kinyanjui, Walter Trenk, Ibrahim Said, Doreen Wasike, Oscar Kambona, Bukachi Chapia, Jane Githaiga, Jack Owino, Omondi Rajab, Daniel Adem, Daniel Orogo, Ramadhan Hussein, Frank Amollo, Timothy Kaimenyi and Geoffrey Mwangi.

The clearance of Mr Mariga comes days after the party’s Secretary-General Raphael Tuju on Tuesday denied claims that the midfielder was among the party’s candidates in the forthcoming Kibra mini poll.

The winner of the Jubilee party ticket will face aspirants from other political parties.

The Orange Democratic Movement, which commands a strong support in Kibra constituency, has submitted to the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission names of 11 aspirants who will contest in the party primaries.

READ ALSO:   Imran clinches Kibra ODM ticket

By nation.co.ke

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

Fairmont Hotels reverses sacking of its employees

Published

on

Fairmont Hotels and Resorts has bowed to pressure from the government and staff union by withdrawing a memo which fired all its employees.

In a new directive issued by the Fairmont management, the hotelier said it had withdrawn the retrenchment memo circulated to staff on May 27, following a consultative meeting held with the Workers Committee Management and the Kenya Union of Domestic, Hotels, Educational Institutions, Hospital and Allied Workers (KUDHEIHA) on Wednesday.

“We would like to reiterate that the owners, Fairmont Hotels and Resorts and subsequently Accor Hotels are very committed towards the health, safety and wellbeing of the employees,” read the new memo.

“To this end, the Management has withdrawn the said memo as we continue with consultative meetings with all stakeholders until an agreement is reached.”

The workers union termed the sacking exercise as forced and contrary to provisions of an existing Collective Bargain Agreement (CBA).

In yesterday’s meeting, the union fronted a discussion on the payment of 50 percent of salary payments for the month of May.

“We are shocked that the procedures and provisions used by management do not meet bare minimums as provided by parties to the CBA,” read part of the letter by KUDHEIHA.

READ ALSO:   NTV dumps DJ Kriss Darlin over Kibra bid

In a memo dated May 27, Fairmont the Norfolk and Fairmont Mara Safari Club ceased their operations as a spiral effect of the Covid-19 pandemic and the recent flooding of Fairmont Mara Safari Club.

“Due to the uncertainty of when and how the impact of the global pandemic will result in the business picking up soon, we are left with no option but to close down the business indefinitely,” said Mehdi Morad, Country General Manager Fairmont Hotels and Resorts.

In retaliation, the Solicitor General Kennedy Ogeto in a letter to the management demanded justification of the move by the hotel, saying the issue was  a matter of public importance. “This matter is of public importance and great concern to the Government and in view of the Attorney General’s mandate to promote, protect and uphold the rule of law and defend the public interest, this Office should be very grateful if you would provide it with clarification regarding the said media reports and complaints from employees, including on the veracity thereof and the justification for the taking of such action, if this is the case,” read a letter undersigned by the Solicitor General Kennedy Ogeto on May 29.

By Standard.co.ke

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

After failed bid to become a nun, now I rescue girls

Published

on

Growing up in Ndunyu Chege, Muranga County, Wangari  says she witnessed untold gender-based violence meted on women in her village. “What was happening in the village was like a competition to see man could beat their wives more severely; I remember one time when a man chopped his wife’s arm from the shoulder!” she says.

Wangari says such incidents made her hate the institution of marriage. In Class Six when a group of nuns visited her school to speak to students, she made up her mind to become one of them. This was a decision made to avoid the institution of marriage and the violence she had come to associate it with.

“When the nuns visited and told us about the vocation, I got a way out of what I thought was bad and I started wearing gowns synonymous with how nuns dress,” she recalls.

Her father, a teacher in a local school, supported her choice and changed how he looked at girls and their place in society. He encouraged Wangari to follow her heart. She would make the first false start into sisterhood when after her O-Level education at St Francis Girls School Mangu, she joined Little Sisters of the Poor, a religious community.

“The sisters run a home for the old people and this is where I was taken and I was given a job of looking after an 89-year-old man,” Wangari says. After a few days, she quit and joined Ursuline Sisters but, in her mind, it was still about escaping the institution of marriage. Her superiors realised this and gave her a two-month break to go and reflect on whether this was what she really wanted.

READ ALSO:   Imran clinches Kibra ODM ticket

“Two senior sisters in the community sat me down and asked me if I had really made the right decision and I tried to convince them that indeed I had but they decided that I had to go and think over it before I could come back,” she says.

She never went back. On the same day she left, she went to live with a lady whose husband was a military officer to avoid going back home. While in the house, she recalls the husband meting out violence on his wife to the point of burning her with a hot iron despite the fact that she was pregnant. That very day, she left the house and went back home to her parents.

“I told them that I was no longer going to be a nun, so my dad took me to college where I studied for a diploma in marketing,” she says.

She got her first job, starting off as at the front office desk at the Kenya Accountants and Secretaries National Examinations Board (Kasneb), she would work at the institution for 14 years before she left and started a magazine focusing on gender-based violence.

The journey to saving girls from early marriages would start in earnest when she was called to the Nairobi Women’s Hospital’s Gender Recovery Centre to do a story about a 13-year-old girl who had been defiled by a teacher and gotten pregnant.

READ ALSO:   Stick to football, Ida Odinga advises Mariga

She recalls: “We were told that the teacher had bribed the girl’s father with Sh3,000 and I asked to be given the girl to care for after she had left hospital.” From this experience, Wangari says she realised she did not have to wait until girls got themselves into these sticky situations before they were rescued. She says prevention is better than cure.

The 52-year-old has since then been involved in gender-based violence recoveries through the organization, Woman’s Hope. She has been rescuing girls from early marriages and pregnancies and putting them back in school. Through the organisation, she has rescued more than 500 girls.

How does she do this?

Using local chiefs and the Nyumba Kumi committees, she gets to know vulnerable girls who she picks and takes through a programme at the centre she runs in Karen. Social workers also help in identifying these girls.

After rescuing the first girl, she started an initiative called ‘Sweat It out for a Needy Cause’ where the fitness enthusiast would, together with her friends, donate Sh500 whenever they ran. From the funds they collected, they bought hygiene effects for vulnerable girls.

“We realised that these vulnerable girls were prone to getting early pregnancies and (into) marriages because of promises for small things like sanitary towels; we then started training the girls we rescued at a house we had rented which could care for 30 girls before moving to the current bigger centre in Hardy, Karen,” says Wangari.

READ ALSO:   Let Mariga focus on football — Kuria tells DP Ruto

The girls are taken through a three-month training every year during school holidays in April, August and December, where they learn some basic skills. They meet counselors and mentors who speak to them. As part of the initiative, she came up with a ‘Dignity Pack’, which contains sanitary towels, panties, soap and petroleum jelly because in giving sanitary towels, some girls would come saying they have no panties which still exposes them to predators.  Wangari says that through the initiative, girls have learn skills while other have gone back to complete their formal education.

“When I get a girl who should be in school, I ensure that they first get back to school because I have experienced that in waiting we could lose the girl to early marriage of pregnancy,” she says.

Currently, the centre is making face masks for sale to as a means of sustaining the girls and some of the families they support. She has also roped in her zumba class to help in feeding the vulnerable, especially in Gataka, during these difficult times, which have left families struggling. When we caught up with her earlier this month, it was at an event at Tone La Maji Centre in Nakimurunya, Kajiado County, putting a smile on the faces of 33 boys.

By Standardmedia.co.ke

Continue Reading

Business

Boss Moves: Betty Kyallo breaks the internet a few days after leaving K24 TV

Published

on

Betty Kyallo is one of the most loved and supported celebrities around thanks to her supporters #TeamBetty.

The media personality who recently hit 2 million followers on Instagram has broken another internet record.

Betty started a YouTube channel two weeks ago and she has amassed 44.7k subscribers already, making her the first Kenyan to gain such subscribers in a short period of time.

She has been sharing videos of her personal life and what she has been up to lately and they’re going viral.

One of her fans identified as Fulasa also noted that Betty had ‘made it’

‘That channel guys… First Kenyan YouTuber to make such a record in just two weeks.. 44k and counting,’ he posted.

Betty, who is also one the most followed Kenyan media personality on Twitter with 822k followers, left K24 TV on May 30 after two years and she is currently focusing on her salon business. She has moved the location of her salon from the iconic FCB Mihrab to a bigger place in Kilimani.

Below is the instagram post she made of the new salon place.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CA3OJqoHxjo/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

In a previous interview with Mpasho.co.ke, while speaking about her salon, she said

Thank God for the hard work I’ve put in. Apart from giving birth to my daughter Ivanna, I don’t think there’s any other thing I have put more effort in like Flair by Betty. It’s where my heart and all investments are. Because of the passion and dedication that the team at Flair has put in, it’s been a fantastic start, and I thank God.

By Mpasho.co.ke,

READ ALSO:   Imran clinches Kibra ODM ticket
Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!