Connect with us

News

Scare after plane stuck in pothole

Published

on

A Fly540 pilot was forced to abort take-off after realising one of the plane’s tyre was stuck in a pothole on the runway at the Manda Airport in Lamu.

The 36 scared passengers aboard the Nairobi-bound plane disembarked during the Sunday 12:30pm incident. No one was hurt.

Junior officials, who spoke to the Nation on condition of anonymity because they are not allowed to speak to the media, said engineers and other airport staff were called and had to dig the plane’s left tyre out of the pothole using shovels and jembes.

“The plane was about to take-off but it was a bit difficult. The pilot had to stop abruptly especially after realising that one of the plane’s tyres was stuck in a huge pothole on the runway. Engineers and airport staff had to be called and assisted in pushing the plane out and parked it at a safer location on the runway from where it was finally able to take-off safely,” said an official.

An eyewitness, Omar Mahmoud, said all had been well as the plane taxied on the runway ready for take-off.

“The issue came just seconds as the plane started to lift its wings in readiness to fly. We saw the tyre on the left side stuck inside a huge hole on the runway. We thank God that the pilot acted swiftly and switched off the engine of the plane. It was a scary moment,” said Mr Mahmoud.

A Fly540 official who spoke to journalists at the Manda Airport said checks were made later to ensure the plane was in good condition after the incident.

“The plane was to take-off at exactly 12.30pm but the issue caused a delay. It took off at 12.54pm after checks were made to ensure the incident hadn’t created any other issue that could interfere with the flight,” said the official.

Following the Sunday incident, travelling agencies, tourist stakeholders and passengers have called on the Kenya Airports Authority (KAA) to urgently intervene and upgrade the Manda Airport runway.

nation.co.ke

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Awkward moment Waititu ‘reports’ his ‘persecutors’ to DP William Ruto

Published

on

Beleaguered Kiambu Governor Ferdinand Waititu has revealed the people allegedly behind his never-ending troubles, which saw him spend close to a week in remand on corruption charges.

Mr Waititu made the “revelation” on Thursday in the midst of fellow politicians including Deputy President William Ruto, Nairobi Senator Johnson Sakaja, Elgeyo Marakwet Senator Kipchumba Murkomen and majority leader Adan Duale.

Curiously, nominated Member of Parliament Maina Kamanda, who Waititu fingered as one of his persecutors, was also present.

He said that the two people behind his misery were Mr Kamanda and Interior CS Fred Matiang’i.

“Wale watu wananilemea ni huyu (points at nominated MP Maina Kamanda) na Matiang’i. Lakini mimi ni mtu ya Mungu,” said Mr Waititu.

The DP and some of the other leaders burst into laughter after his remarks.

CO-ACCUSED

The Kiambu Governor was arrested last month alongside his wife, Susan; the two were co-accused on corruption charges by the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC).

The two were charged over the irregular procurement of a Sh588 million tender for upgrading of various gravel roads to bitumen standard.

The Director of Public Prosecution, said part of the funds were used by Saika Two Estate Developers Limited to purchase Bieneveu Delta Hotel Limited owned by Waititu and his wife.

The roads project covered Thika, Limuru, Gatundu North, Juja and Ruiru sub-counties, which was allegedly skewed in favour of the winning bidder with the assistance of the county officials.

Mr Waititu was released on a Sh15 million cash bail while his wife was also freed on a cash bail of Sh4 million.

The judge, however, barred the governor from accessing his office until the case is heard and determined.

by nairobinews

Continue Reading

News

Acid survivor gets full sponsorship for surgery in US

Published

on

Acid survivor Dan Matakayia can now travel to the United States with his guide after all expenses were taken care of by Face Forward International.

Matakayia had an exclusive interview with Nairobi news on Wednesday where he appealed for financial help from Kenyans to travel to the US with his guide to undergo surgery after he suffered acid burns in 2013.

His expenses have been catered for by Alessi Institute for Facial Plastic Surgery where he’s expected to undergo surgeries to open up his nostril.

A hashtag #TembeaNaDan was started on Twitter to help raise Sh600,000 and by day 3, Matakayia had received Sh120,000 and his dream of leaving the country on August 25, 2019 was in the progress of being realized.

GUIDE’S EXPENSES

On Wednesday evening, Matakayia finally received the good news that his and the guide’s expenses would be taken care of by Face Forward International, an organisation that provides emotional support to victims of domestic violence. It is based in California, US.

“God answered my prayers and we are finally leaving for the States as early planned,” he told Nairobi News on phone.

The money he raised through the campaign #TembeaNaDan will now be channeled to his foundation Dan Shieshie Organization that helps victims of domestic violence and campaign against over the counter of corrosive chemicals and acids

Matakayia was attacked with acid by his wife on the morning of September 21st 2013.

The burns he sustained on his face left him visually impaired and with a breathing problem as his nose was blocked.

By Nairobi news

Continue Reading

News

Six senior citizens in US arrested for having public sex in the park

Published

on

Police in the US arrested six people, all aged above 60, for allegedly having group sex in a public area.

The five elderly men and an 85-year-old woman were arrested after police received complaints of inappropriate behaviour in a park in Fairfield, Connecticut during the week of August 12th, the Connecticut Post reported.

Police conducted surveillance in and around the open space area and arrested the six suspects.

According to the Connecticut Post, the park was being publicised on the internet as an area for people to meet and have sex.

The suspects face charges ranging from breach of peace to public indecency.

They were released on a promise to appear in court.

by nairobinews

Continue Reading

Do you want to own an affordable home in Kenya?

Are you looking for a Church to fellowship in Atlanta Metro Area?

poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

August 2019
M T W T F S S
« Jul    
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!