Connect with us

News

Victor Wanyama sues over tweet

Published

on

Kenyan international footballer Victor Wanyama has sued oil manufacturer Menengai Oil Refineries for compensation over use of his image in a commercial advertisement.

In a case filed at the High Court, Wanyama, who plays for Tottenham Hotspur in England, is accusing Menengai of publishing his image alongside the company’s trademarked logo on June 21, two days before Kenya’s national team Harambee Stars played their first match at the African Cup of Nations (Afcon).

The footballer wants the court to declare that the action by Menengai contravened his image and personality rights.

He is also seeking a declaration that the image published by Menengai constitutes a marketing advertisement and that he is entitled to damages as a result.

BRAND AMBASSADOR

Wanyama says he has worked hard to build his brand and reputation over the past 12 years of his footballer career and as a result he is the brand ambassador for several companies such as Addidas, Multichoice and Safaricom.

“I logged onto my twitter account and confirmed that the company on their official twitter account was indeed using my image in a commercial advertisement,” says Wanyama.

The said image appeared on Facebook and Twitter, and were accompanied by the message “if you believe it, you can do it. We at Menengai should like to wish our boys all the best in the #AfricaCupOfNations. From #TheHeartOfGoodLiving. We believe in you.”

In the suit papers, Wanyama says the wording in the caption together with the use of his image created the impression that he was the official brand ambassador of oil maker.

ENDORSING MENENGAI

He says the context of the publication, the images and the eager public keen to watch the matches, were understood to mean that he was endorsing Menengai as its commercial ambassador, adding that the image used did not contain the entire Kenyan football team but a few select individuals.

“I did not consent to the use of my image in the post published by Menengai. I am greatly disturbed by the continued use of the image as the company has failed to delete the offending post from its twitter account despite demand to do so,” the footballer says in a sworn affidavit.

by nairobinews

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

KCSE candidate loses two teeth in brutal attack by prefects

Published

on

A Form Four student at Mutindwa Day Mixed Secondary School in Tharaka-Nithi County lost two teeth in an alleged brutal attack by the school head boy and four of his friends.

Ian Karani, who is recuperating at PCEA Chogoria Mission Hospital where he was admitted on Wednesday last week, told the media that the prefect and his colleagues beat him up for walking out of the dining hall with food against the school regulations.

“The head boy approached me demanding to know why I taking my food outside the dining hall and before I explained he descended on me with blows before his four friends joined him,” Karani said.

Left lying

He said after a thorough beating he was left lying on the ground with blood oozing from mouth and the nose where he was picked by teachers and rushed to the hospital.

The students said teachers lied to the hospital that he had accidentally fallen and also demanded that he should not tell the truth to avoid the matter becoming a police case.

Mr Murithi Ndubi, Karani’s father, said when he got information on what had happened to his son, he rushed to the hospital and found him at the casualty room unconscious.

He claimed that teachers have been intimidating his son forcing him to lie that he fell so as to protect the school reputation and avoid dragging the management into police cases.

“I want justice for my son because he suffered permanent injuries at the hands of prefects and teachers don’t want the truth to come out,” said Mr Ndubi.

Indiscipline case

School principal Mr Mugambi Mitambo agreed that the boy was beaten by the school head boy and four other Form Four boys and assured that he was handling the indiscipline case appropriately.

“Karani lost his teeth while fighting with the prefect and other four boys and I’m handling the matter as an indiscipline case,” said Mr Mitambo.

BY Nairobi News

Continue Reading

News

Sonko compares his extended foreign tour to Trump’s trips abroad

Published

on

Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko who has been ‘missing’ for almost two weeks now has compared his absence to that of United States President Donald Trump.

Even as he is being investigated in numerous corruption cases, Sonko has had the time to visit several countries abroad including Dubai, Italy, France and later in the week he will be visiting South Korea.

On Tuesday, through social media, Sonko explained why he has been away, stating that all the trips he has taken are good for the city.

“In the last week starting Monday 7th October, I have been out of the country on an official tour where I visited Europe (France) Montpellier, Copenhagen (Denmark) and Asia (South Korea) to attend key note events where other major cities of the world were represented by my counterparts,” Sonko wrote Facebook.

He compared the trips to those of Trump after he took over the Oval office.

“In 2017, US President Donald Trump made several foreign trips, one from 20th to 27th May (8 Days) where he visited a number of Middle East Countries and another in November 5th to 14th (10 Days) visiting Asia, the Korea Peninsula and China. In 2018, Trump went for several foreign trips with one lasting from June 7th to 16th (9 Days) in Europe,” he explained.

He further said that as the governor he has also made several crucial official trips to represent Nairobi City around the world in the last two years.

This he explained is because he believes it is important for him get to interact with other world city leaders and get to see or learn what they are doing differently in their respective cities.

That aside, Sonko admitted that he has been enjoying every moment of his foreign trip.

BY Nairobi News

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Nazizi exhilarated as son meets President Uhuru Kenyatta

Published

on

Last week marked eight decades since St Mary’s School, Nairobi was started and in honor of the fete, the school’s former and current students came together to celebrate.

Leading the ceremony was Saints alumni President Uhuru Kenyatta who stole the show when he turned up dressed in full school uniform.

Legendary Kenyan Hip hop artist Nazizi Hirji’s 9-year-old son Tafari Firoz who is a pupil at the institution had the privilege of meeting President Uhuru Kenyatta and sharing a cake-cutting session with him.

Tafari was among a select number of students chosen to participate in the event.

An elated Nazizi took to Instagram to share her proud mama moment with her online family.

“The president of my heart @tafari_firoz got to meet the President of Kenya yesterday. The celebration was #saintsat80 and yes @uhurukenyatta is an old Saints boy. Super proud mum,” she wrote.

Nazizi’s son with President Uhuru Kenyatta.

Joining the president in celebration of the school’s 80th anniversary was Citizen TV news anchor Jeff Koinange, Baringo Senator Gideon Moi and business mogul Jimi Wanjigi, also alumnus of Saints.

The president was pleased with the warm welcome he got from St Mary’s students and in turn extended an invite to the learners to visit the State House for a tour as he urged for the school’s improved infrastructure.

“Let’s put up credible framework to marshal resources to assist the school in improving libraries and other infrastructure. Institutions’ histories are kept alive by people,” said the President.

By SDE

Continue Reading

Are you looking for a Church to fellowship in Atlanta Metro Area?

poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

August 2019
M T W T F S S
« Jul   Sep »
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!