Connect with us

News

How Ruto uses Twitter to fight ‘fake’ news

Published

on

Deputy President William Ruto has lately sought the comfort of the popular microblogging site, Twitter, to dismiss stories he deems “fake” in a move easily interpreted as emulating US President Donald Trump who has made the platform his online home where he ferociously takes on real and perceived enemies, the mainstream media included.

On Sunday, at around 11pm, the DP used his official Twitter handle to dismiss a front page story carried by one of the local dailies.

Alongside the tweet was a screenshot of the paper’s Monday leading story about some drama involving him at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport when President Uhuru Kenyatta returned into the country from Japan last Thursday morning.

 “…Jubilee is built on rock solid philosophy and beliefs that no amount of scheming and propaganda can undermine,” the tweet partly read.

It was the second time in less than a week that the DP was seeking the warmth of Twitter, where he enjoys a massive following, to respond directly to a story by a local media house. On the site he is followed by 2.3 million people.

In mid-August, he took on another local newspaper for a headline story that touched on his allies planning a battle against a referendum expected to be proposed by the Building Bridges Initiative established by the President and opposition leader Raila Odinga following their handshake last year March.

READ ALSO:   DP plans to visit every church in the country before the 2022 General Election.

Before switching to the social site, the DP had largely ignored similar stories in the past or opted for clarifications through his aides. On rare occasions, he would respond directly to the stories during public rallies or functions.

For now, Twitter appears to have become his favourite platform.

Mr David Mugonyi, the Communications Secretary at the DP’s office, on Monday said the DP believed in media freedom and that he had opted to set the record straight on the interactive social sites.

 “The DP believes in the Freedom of the Media. That includes the right to make mistakes but not to fabricate malicious falsehood to score some political goals. That is why he has not exercised his civil right to sue for defamation despite numerous fake news touching on him. He has, however, chosen the right to set the record straight through the interactive platform provided by Social Media,” said Mr Mugonyi.

However, the Media Council of Kenya Deputy Chief Executive Victor Bwire, on Monday requested the DP to take advantage of the existing legal mechanisms to raise his complaints against the media.

 “The DP is justified to raise issues with the media. It is within his right to do so. We would like to advise him to use existing legal structures to raise his concerns. We would be more than ready to look at them if they are genuine,” said Mr Bwire told the Nation.

As the DP is still finding his way on Twitter, Mr Trump was on Monday in his element raging against the media for stories that did not suit him.

READ ALSO:   Ruto to Uhuru: I am a self-made man

 “…the good news is that we are winning. Our real opponent is not the Democrats, or the dwindling number of Republicans that lost their way and got left behind, our primary opponent is the Fake News Media. In the History of our Country, they have never been so bad!” President Trump tweeted to his 63.8 million followers.

Nation

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

I was scared my son would stop me from shining- Bridget Achieng

Published

on

By JUDITH GICOBI

Bridget Achien’g, Kenyan popular reality TV star, is a happy mother since having her son. 

But before welcoming her son, the actor had fears concerning her career. She had doubts about whether she will remain popular or relevant after having the baby.

She shared this on Instagram, Bridget reveals how she was scared that Sekani would dim her shining star.

However, that did not happen, instead, the son helped in adding more meaning and increased opportunities life in a way she hadn’t thought.

“Wow and to think that I was scared to death @sekani_rich_ was going to stop me from shining, so far as I look closely to his birthday next month ….and the fire that this boy has put in me it can only be God,” wrote Bridget.

In the aim to ensure her son gets a good life, Bridget had also registered three businesses in her son’s name, which will help in paying for his education and expenses.

“He is covered for life his three business empire will see him through school until when he says he can’t do it anymore…I got you my prince for life,” she wrote.

READ ALSO:   Ruto to Uhuru: I am a self-made man
Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Victor Wanyama-sponsored students report to schools

Published

on

The six students sponsored by Harambee Stars captain Victor Wanyama under his foundation have all reported to their respective schools.

Sammy Oriko and Landgreen Makhoha have joined Maranda School, Eva Moraa and Zawadi Tamara reported to Sironga Girls High School, Esther Achieng is in Asumbi Girls High School while Trizah Shem has enrolled in St Brigid’s High School.

The six reported to their new schools this week and Wanyama has urged them to work hard.

“I am very proud of the scholarship programme, above all I am proud of the students we selected. Looking at their results, their background and the schools they attended, you can see great potential in them. I pledge to support them as I had stated earlier, to enable them to reach their potential. It is also important to motivate them to work hard in school,” Wanyama told Nation Sport.

The Tottenham Hotspur midfielder formally registered the Victor Wanyama Foundation late last year and is building the foundation’s main centre in a 20-acre piece of land in Busia which will also house the Victor Wanyama Academy.

He is also supporting his former club County Bus FC and the Muthurwa Boxing Club having recently bought a 40-seater bus for the two entities.

READ ALSO:   Airborne UhuRuto increase foreign trips after winning re-election

BY nation.co.ke

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Man slashed to death by razor-wielding rooster during cockfight

Published

on

A man died after being slashed by a razor attached to a rooster during a cock fight in India, the local media has reported.

The 55-year-old man was accidentally killed after a sharp blade tied to a rooster cut his abdomen in an incident which reportedly happened on Sunday.

The organisers tied the razor-sharp blade to the leg of the rooster, police said.

The victim, who was one of the organisers was holding the animal in his hands, waiting to release it into the arena to fight.

But the rooster struggled for freedom, and the blade fatally pierced the abdomen of the spectator, inflicting a deep wound which killed him.

In India, cockfighting is part of celebrations for Makar Sankranti, a festival day in the Hindu calendar, dedicated to the deity Surya.

Makar Sankranti was this year celebrated on Wednesday, January 15.

Cockfights were outlawed in India in 1960, but remain popular in some parts of the country, according to media reports.

The contests attract a large amount of gambling activity and the high stakes encourage breeders to spend big on raising winning fowl.

Fighters groom birds in the country, feeding them protein-rich diets and giving them steroids so they grow large and can cause more damage in the cock-fighting ring.

READ ALSO:   Senator trolled online for allegedly being disrespectful to Ruto.

By NN

Continue Reading


Are you looking for a Church to fellowship in Atlanta Metro Area?

poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

September 2019
M T W T F S S
« Aug   Oct »
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!