Connect with us


Imran clinches Kibra ODM ticket



The late Ken Okoth’s brother, Bernard Otieno Okoth alias Imran, has been declared as Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) candidate for the Kibra Constituency by-election scheduled for November 7.

Mr Okoth will now face off with Jubilee’s McDonald Mariga, ANC’s Eliud Owalo and Ford Kenya’s Khamisi Butichi in the by-election.

He emerged the winner in the ODM primaries held Saturday with 4,382 votes, beating nine other aspirants

He was followed by Peter Orero (1,218), John Milla Otieno (906), Ben Musungu (524), Christone Odhiambo (417), Tony Ogola (381), Stephen Okello (228), Brian Owino (127), Reuben Ojijo (52) and Eric Obayi (45).

The party will forward his name to the Independent Electoral Boundaries Commission (IEBC) on Monday if no one challenges his win.

The nominations was marred by delays and several voters’ names were found to be missing from the IEBC register in most polling stations.

Immediately the results were announced, the party’s secretary-general Edwin Sifuna tweeted his congratulatory message.

“Thank you to all ODM party members in Kibra for conducting yourselves like the democrats we have always known you to be. Thank you for your patience in the face of various challenges as you voted today. Congratulations ndugu Imran Okoth.”

READ ALSO:   NTV dumps DJ Kriss Darlin over Kibra bid

On August 25, 2019 during the unveiling of ODM aspirants, Imran was forced to cut his speech short after an irritated crowd heckled him allegedly for honouring his late brother’s wish to be cremated, something they were strongly opposed to.

The meeting had been convened by ODM leader Raila Odinga.

The Kibra seat fell vacant following the death of Mr Okoth who succumbed to colorectal cancer on July 26, 2019.


Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


VIDEO: Why Minister wants Female Genital “elongation” in schools stopped [Adult content]



The minister for Gender and Culture has warned school matrons against initiating young girls into genital elongation.
Ms Peace Mutuuzo says the government will find avenues of talking to girls, especially in primary schools, how to report the perpetrators for encouraging a practice that does not add value to their health.
“We shall target matrons in primary boarding schools.

You are preparing our girls who are not yet ready for marriage and may get partners who do not care about that (genital elongation),” Ms Mutuuzo said while addressing journalist in Kampala.

Pulling as it’s popularly known, is a tradition common in central and southern parts of Uganda and Rwanda, which basically involves the elongation of the labia minora on the female private parts by girls and women.
The practice is widely criticised by the west for allegedly being outdated and barbaric. Watch Courtesy of VOA Swahili:

Ms Mutuuzo hinted on the vice while addressing journalists about the forthcoming International Day for Zero Tolerance of Female Genital Mutilation scheduled on February 6.

She said her ministry needs an increase in the budgetary allocation from the current Shs200 million to Shs1.2 billion to help fight female genital mutilation which is predominant in Sebei sub region in eastern Uganda.
The money is to, among other things, help in community sensitisation, strengthen male engagement, establish shelters for FGM victims and engage more elders in the fight against the practice.
Uganda has four types of FGM; some of which are irreversible while others have resulted into death due to over bleeding by the victims.
The types of FGM practised in Uganda, according to government, are; clitoridectomy, excision (practised by the Sabiny), infibulation or pharaonic (practised by the Pokot) and other types- mainly genital elongation practiced by Bantu speaking people, especially in central Uganda.

READ ALSO:   I support you, Uhuru tells Mariga - VIDEO

Ms Mutuuzo said Uganda is experiencing an emerging trend of medicalisation since some believe that the cutting is less painful when done by a medical personnel.
She believes this has been encouraged by the educated Ugandans who should have been in the centre of the fight against the practice.
“The young people have utilised social media platforms like WhatsApp and Facebook, to openly campaign for preservation of FGM, as an important practice of the Sabiny culture using the slogan “Our culture, our Identity” Ms Mutuuzo said.
The minister said government was aware of the WhatsApp groups created to aid the outlawed vice and are planning on how to track down the members for prosecution.
Uganda enacted the Prohibition of FGM Act 2010 to eliminate the practice but it has persisted due to cultural beliefs one of which is enhancement to please men during sex.

According to UNFPA country representative, Mr Alaine Sibenaler, cultural practices are very difficult to eradicate.
“But should not be used as an excuse to abuse human rights,” he said.
He said there should be dialogue between the young people and their parents so that they understand the dangers of FGM to have concerted efforts in fighting the practice in this generation.

READ ALSO:   NTV dumps DJ Kriss Darlin over Kibra bid

Ministry of Gender reports indicate that between November 2018 and January 2019, about 350 girls underwent FGM in Kapchorwa, Kween and Bukwo districts.
Globally, it is estimated that approximately 100 to 140 million girls and women have undergone some form of genital mutilation or cutting.
Health experts say cutting has far reaching health effects including severe bleeding which may lead to death, permanent scars that may block the birth canal, obstetric fistula, urine incontinence, permanent disability, depression, trauma, feelings of disgust, loss of libido, among others.
In 2012, the UN General assembly designated February 6 as the international day of zero tolerance of FGM. The theme for 2020 is “Unleashing Youth Power”, One decade of accelerating actions for zero Female Genital Mutilation by 2030.

Continue Reading


HAPPY ENDING: Joy as 84 year-old Kenyan man who has lived in US for 60 yrs returns home to a rousing welcome [PHOTOS]




A journey that started in March last year is now complete. Mr. James Mugweru has finally arrived in his motherland, Kenya, after 6 dacades in the United States.

It was pomp and colour as family and friends  gathered in Nakuru to welcome him with a very warm and rousing reception.
Mugweru, 84, came to the US through the famous educational air lift organized by the late Tom Mboya in 1959.He had only returned to Kenya twice in those 60 years he has been in the US.

Around March last year, I was approached by a young man in Kenya to help trace his grandfather whom they had never seen but would hear from stories that he lived in America.

It however did not take me long to fish him out of where he was, thanks to internet.

He was living in a facility for Senior Citizens in Union city, Georgia.

I thereafter introduced him to my Church family – Kenyan American Community Church (KACC) – and they contributed money for his ticket to Kenya.

Mugweru left the country on February 19th.

I would like to thank all those who have walked this one year journey with him providing the much needed stuff and above all, loving him as Christ would do.

READ ALSO:   I support you, Uhuru tells Mariga - VIDEO

He has always been intrigued by the concern some of you have shown.

Mr. Mugweru has 2 living siblings aged 100 and 80 who were eager and looking forward to reuniting with their lost brother.
Finally thank you Atlanta Kenyan community for believing in my Judgment towards serving God’s people. Without all of you, I would not be of help to the community. God bless.

We do hope that he will come back to visit as you all know that after having lost reality with a country he left long time ago, it can be rough especially in old age and the most needed health care can be out of reach due to lack of money.

This man has been away for too long and those back home could be having high expectation of him and if the same is not there, the happiness may just be temporary leading to abandonment.

He left Kenya undeveloped and the whole country will appear strange not to mention the culture shock.

We, all the same, hope that God will guide him.  To the great people who have given him great love, God bless all.

Chances are he will come back as he cannot fit in Kenya after even loosing his mother tongue and cannot fluently speak Kiswahili which is also forgotten.

READ ALSO:   IEBC now rejects ‘Mariga’ Jubilee letter

It is not easy for James as this is simply a very sad case and maybe a lesson for many, to be prepared and able to face the uncertain, unknown future.

Continue Reading


Was it murder? Clues in Ruto guard ‘suicide’



Did police sergeant Kipyegon Kenei plan his suicide so meticulously that no one heard the gunshot that sent a bullet through his head into the

ceiling of his small bedsitter house in Imara Daima, Nairobi? And how did the cartridge come to rest on his chest, given the violence with which he is said to have taken his life? These are some of the questions that detectives are seeking answers to as they investigate the death of Sgt Kenei, a key witness in the fake arms tender deal involving a former Cabinet secretary.

The deceased was the head of security at Harambee House Annex in Nairobi, where the office of Deputy President William Ruto is located, and where documents related to the tender scandal are said to have been signed. The biggest question in the minds of detectives is whether Sgt Kenei killed himself, or was executed.

The clues to this riddle so far lie in the small semi-detached house at Twiga Court in Imara Daima, where his body was found on Thursday evening. The houses here are so small and close to each other that if you accidentally broke utensils in your kitchen, your neighbours would most likely know about it.

Yet within the past one week, on a day that we still do not know, a gun is said to have been discharged once in the servant quarters of one the houses, killing the police officer.

No one in this small, tightly knit community heard anything, and so life went on at its humdrum pace until last Thursday, when all hell broke loose.

The police would be investigating just another case were it not for the fact that Sgt Kenei worked at Dr Ruto’s office, which is fighting accusations of abetting the Sh39 billion fake guns tender scandal.

Sgt Kenei was scheduled to become a high-level witness in the investigations into the saga. He had been expected to record a statement with the Directorate of Criminal Investigations, and detectives are trying to establish whether there is a connection between his death and the tender probe.

Mr Ruto said he was saddened by the death and urged the police to get to the bottom of the matter.

“Kenei was a disciplined young police officer. I urge the relevant authorities to conduct a thorough investigation to ascertain the circumstances surrounding his death,” said Mr Ruto a few hours after

the body was found.

Those who knew Sgt Kenei, 33, say he liked to lead a good life. He may have lived in the small bedsitter off Mombasa Road, where his lifeless body was found, they say, but when he was not in his police uniform, he was ever neatly shaven and in nice suits. His coat lapel always sported the Kenyan flag.

He was an ambitious young man as well. In just 13 years he had risen to be a sergeant within the police force and in charge of security at the DP’s office. The Saturday Nation understands that his key responsibility was clearing visitors before they are allowed to access the premises, one of the most guarded government installations in the country.

READ ALSO:   Raila Junior, Boniface Mwangi renew rivalry over Kibra candidate

Sgt Kenei was on duty on February 13, the day former Sports Cabinet Secretary Rashid Echesa accessed the DP’s office and allegedly issued a fake Sh39 billion military arms contract to two foreigners.

Less than 10 days later, he lay dead in his small house, with a single bullet wound on the head.

An initial observation by the police indicated he had committed suicide, but yesterday Nairobi County Commander Philip Ndolo was measured in his assessment of the situation.

“I have not been able to get the facts on the ground,” said Mr Ndolo.

“What will make a difference is what the homicide team, which is still there, says. Before talking to them – and it is still early to make a conclusion – I suggest that we wait and hear what they have to say.”

But the homicide detectives combing the house were yesterday confronting the problem of a crime scene that had been grossly interfered with by the first responders on Thursday evening. It took the intervention of the Director of Criminal Investigation George Kinoti, who was waiting to catch a flight from the Moi International Airport in Mombasa when he heard about the macabre discovery, to have the scene secured properly.

But by the time Mr Kinoti gave the orders, Sgt Kenei’s body had been removed from the scene of crime by police officers from Embakasi. The vehicle carrying his body was already heading towards the Nyayo National Stadium roundabout on the way to City Mortuary when Mr

Kinoti ordered it be returned to Imara Daima for scenes of crime detectives to do a proper analysis.

So furious was Mr Kinoti that he drove straight to Imara Daima after landing at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport from Mombasa to personally lead the investigations.

Just hours earlier, he had exuded confidence on the progress of the fake guns tender investigations, saying his team was building a watertight case and had covered significant ground.

What the DCI did not know was that he had just lost the one person who had the answers as to how former Cabinet Secretary Rashid Echesa, the prime suspect in the tender saga, and his friends had accessed the DP’s office.

Tell-tale signs that something had gone grossly wrong in the investigation first came in the form of communication sent to the Nation from Dr Ruto’s office at about 3pm on Thursday.

“One of the security officers on duty on Thursday, February 13, when former Cabinet Secretary Rashid Echesa and two foreigners visited the office of the Deputy President, and who was required to record a statement, among others, has not done so, and neither has he reported for duty since Wednesday, February 19, the day he was scheduled to appear before the DCI,” read the statement. “A search for the officer has been launched. So far five security officers have recorded statements.”

Two officers had informed investigating officers from the DCI that they were unable to record statements as required on Wednesday.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Ken Okoth worked with Jubilee at night and ODM during the day - Anne Muthoni Thumbi

Sgt Kenei was said to have claimed that he was not feeling well, while the second officer said his children were returning to school after the mid- term break and he was escorting them back.

It was after this that Sgt Kenei suddenly became unavailable on his mobile phone, until a neighbour on Thursday afternoon noticed a foul smell coming from the officer’s house and alerted the police.

By the time the police arrived later in the evening, neighbours had already accessed the house and discovered his body. He was in his pyjamas when he died, a spent cartridge lying on the left side of his chest and a Jericho pistol on the floor.

No one had heard any commotion or gunshot from the house and there were no records to show that strangers had accessed the house in the past few days. A woman and her two children lived in the main house on the same compound with the sergeant. They, too, did not hear anything suspicious.

To get to Sgt Kenei’s house, one has to pass through two manned gates. The first one is the main entry to Villa Franca Estate and the second is the gate to Twiga Court.

Security guards in these first two gates only ask visitors where they are going but do not note down their names or take details of the cars that pass through. Without any records, anyone could have walked in, shot the sergeant, and left, but Kenei could also have killed himself, as the police initially said.

If he indeed killed himself, a gunshot from a Jericho pistol is louder than a tyre burst at close range.

This means neighbours would have heard something because the gun found beside the sergeant did not have a silencer.

And if someone had killed him at the scene, there would at least have been a scuffle, which, again, neighbours would have heard.

So what, really, happened to Sgt Kenei, and for how long had he lain in his bedsitter before he was discovered? The odour associated with a dead body starts spreading after two or three days as a result of gas being expelled by the bacteria consuming the body. Sgt Kenei is said to have claimed that he was unwell on Wednesday while neighbours said they caught a whiff of the foul smell from his house on Thursday.

Detectives were last evening working to unravel that puzzle.

They will also rely on a ballistics test on residue found on the ceiling and the spent cartridge in order to see if they match with the gun.

The part of the ceiling with the bullet hole was removed yesterday afternoon, even though the bullet also tore through the roof.

On top of that, detectives will also analyse the phone records of the sergeant in order to ascertain his final movements and the last people he talked to before he died.

In Nakuru, Sgt Kenei’s family also appealed to the DCI to expedite investigations into the officer’s death, even as a close confidant of the deceased recounted his last moments with him.

READ ALSO:   IEBC slams brakes on Mariga

Sgt Kenei’s father, John Chesang, speaking at Chamasisi Village in Nakuru County, refuted claims that the officer had committed suicide.

“It is a great loss to me. I just want a thorough investigation into my son’s death. Kenei was my fourth child and I am sad we only received the news of his death through radio. We were not formally informed about his death yet he was a public servant,” he said.

“He was here on Friday to see off his son, who was joining Form One at Baringo High School. He stayed with the family for the weekend and left for Nairobi on Sunday. When he arrived, he called us and said he was fine and that he had arrived safely. I did not see any signs of him being disturbed or worried.

If there was anything bothering him, he would have told me, or I would have sensed it from his demeanor.”

The family spoke as one of Sgt Kenei’s close friends narrated his last moments with him, about the visit to Harambee House by former Sports CS Rashid Echesa and other suspects moments before they were arrested.

“During the burial of retired President Daniel Moi last week, he told me that he would come to Nakuru but he did not manage to come the same day. However, the following morning, he came to Nakuru and we met at our usual joint as he claimed to be hungry,” he said.

The confidant said another colleague joined them for lunch, and that as they chatted, there was a ‘Breaking News’ flash on TV on the arrests of people who had visited the Deputy President’s office.

“He moved closer to watch the news, and when he came back he informed us that the arrested people had visited the Annex before he left for Nakuru. He then called his colleague in Nairobi and enquired about what had happened.”

The confidant said Sgt Kenei told them that he had ushered Mr Echesa and his colleagues in to the Annex office after they requested to meet DP Ruto.

“He said the suspects asked him if the DP was in his office, but he told them that he wasn’t. The suspects then went to the waiting room, sat and waited for some minutes before leaving,” he said.

But on Sunday, after Sgt Kenei drove back to Nairobi, he called the friend at around 7pm and told him that things were getting out of hand.

“He said the Echesa issue was getting tough because he had been informed that some detectives were going to the office on Monday. I told him not to worry because that was going to be investigated and that he should say whatever he saw,” the friend, whom the Saturday Nation is not naming for security reasons, said.

“He said he would brief me on the outcome on Monday but didn’t, and I forgot to call him. When I tried to reach him on Tuesday, his phone was off,” said the confidant.

Continue Reading


Like us on Facebook, stay informed


2019 Calendar

September 2019
« Aug   Oct »


error: Content is protected !!