Connect with us

News

Police widen search for more suspects in Cohen’s killing

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

At least four suspects are on the run following the killing of Dutch businessman Tob Cohen at his home in Kitisuru, Nairobi.

Two suspects have been arrested in investigations into the killing. Police say more suspects participated in the killing, either directly or indirectly, and that some of them are on the run.

According to police, a valuable witness, initially held as a suspect, informed them that a linkman was used to hire the killers who waited for Cohen in his house on July 20, and killed him.The same suspect is said to have led police to the scene where the body was found.

Police told the court that preliminary investigations had indicated that some witnesses were coached to give false testimony on the movement of Cohen.

Another suspect

Another suspect on the run is a man believed to have been drinking with Cohen at a club in Westlands on the same day he went missing.Cohen is also said to have met two women known to him over lunch at the club.

The women were questioned by police and said they parted ways with Cohen at about 3pm. That is the time his mobile phone was switched off.

Cohen is said to have stayed at the club till late, and with a man who is yet to be found. The man, so far known to police, later dropped Cohen home at night.  Police say the Dutch businessman was killed the same night.His wife, Sarah Wairimu, who is a suspect in the killing, is set to appear in court again today.

Police have so far placed more suspects at the scene of crime on the day Cohen is said to have been killed.

Refused to reveal

Director of Criminal Investigations George Kinoti refused to reveal more details on the suspect turned witness in the case, only stating that police had two suspects in custody and that they were looking for more.“We have two suspects so far and we are going to arrest more. Anybody who was involved in this gruesome murder shall not be spared. But there are more who are involved, not just two,” he said.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Cohen's body was "planted" in the compound a few days ago, declares Sarah Wairimu

Kinoti said Cohen’s house remains a scene of crime since the time the incident was reported to them. Police suspect he was killed inside the house.“We never wanted to leave anything to chance. We have widened the net to make sure this crime is not covered at all. There is no perfect crime,” he said.

Police found the body of Cohen, 69, in a septic tank within his home’s compound on Friday, September 13, after he went missing on July 20.Physical analysis at the scene showed he was tortured and his hands tied to the back before he was strangled, his body wrapped in a nylon paper and blanket and stuffed in the septic tank that was sealed with cement. A postmortem examination is planned today.

Parties in the matter were yesterday alerted of today’s postmortem examination and subsequent burial tomorrow.Reports indicate that Cohen wished to be buried 36 hours after his death, hence the plans to bury him soon after the tests.

Lawyer Philip Murgor, for Cohen’s widow, said they intended to be present during the postmortem examination to, among other things, establish the time he died.

“Experts will tell how long the body had been at the scene or probable day the man was killed. We understand police picked the cement that covered the septic tank for further analysis,” said Murgor.The lawyer has also protested the involvement of former Gatundu South MP Patrick Muiruri in the matter, saying he was intimidating Wairimu’s workers.

READ ALSO:   How Tob Cohen will be buried

Frightened workers

“They informed me that they were ordered by Mr Patrick Muiruri to vacate the house, and go back to where they came from. They seemed very frightened by what Muiruri told them. I asked them to stay until proper arrangements had been made to secure the property,” he said in a message to Director of Public Prosecutions Noordin Haji.

He questioned the authority of Muiruri to give orders about a property that did not belong to him.Muiruri said he had known Cohen for more than 30 years and was very close to him. He said they played golf together.

He added that he talked to Cohen for 15 minutes on the night he went missing. Peter Karanja, the other suspect who has been in custody since Friday, is expected to be presented in a Kiambu Court.

Karanja, a former husband to Gilgil MP Martha Wangari, was arrested following information that he was in contact with Wairimu and that at some point she sent him Sh40,000. Police are investigating whether this had anything to do with the killing.His family has protested and complained that he has been held beyond the constitutional period.Karanja’s lawyer, Ham Lagat, said he was arrested on Tuesday and wondered why he had not been presented in court.Mr Lagat said Karanja was known to and enjoyed business relationships with the Cohens.

“He is a victim of circumstances. He has never committed any criminal offence. Let the police take note of his businesses. He is not a flight risk,” said Lagat.

He claims Karanja recorded a statement under duress. “He was under pressure when he recorded the statement. Can a person of his stature receive Sh18,000 to commit the said crime?” said the lawyer.According to the lawyer, there was no court order or holding charge on his client.“He is being detained illegally. We intend to make an application for his production in court,” he said.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: See what Jean Ayako, a US-based Kenyan lady thinks happened to Tob Cohen

Lagat claimed Karanja was first taken to Eburu Forest, where he was threatened and harassed to sign documents.Murgor has protested the prosecution’s handling of the scene, saying there is a possibility that Cohen’s body was planted there.

Wairimu has also denied police claims.Police are further investigating letters Wairimu produced claiming they were from her husband before he was killled. The letters indicated that Cohen was withdrawing complaints he had made to police against his wife and a divorce case he had lodged.Police suspect the letters were forged. Wairimu told police that Cohen indicated he was heading to Thailand for medical checks on the day he went missing.

Personal belongings

Wairimu had also told police her husband packed his personal belongings on the material day and drove out of their compound in a taxi.The couple was battling a divorce case that Cohen filed last December.

At the centre of the dispute was their matrimonial home.The Dutch embassy in Nairobi reported Cohen missing to police after his family approached the Dutch police saying they could not reach him on his mobile phone.Cohen had lived in Kenya for more than 30 years.

Workers at his home told police Cohen removed security cameras at his home days before he went missing. Wairimu is said to have replaced them two weeks later.Online, Wairimu once posted a video on Youtube in which she painted Cohen as a cruel man who abused alcohol and other substances.

“He is a chain smoker and that is slowing him down. And for a long time Tob has been abusing substances and that is why, unknown to many, he had all this aggression and couldn’t handle situations,” she says in the video.

By Standard


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Lifestyle

Man whose son died at concert asks police to arrest his killers

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Earlier this month, when Geoffrey Gikonyo began the search for his missing son, 17-year-old Stephen Munga, he prayed and hoped that they would find him alive and safe.

But this was not to be.

On November 12, the family’s search for Shanty, as Stephen’s friends fondly called him, led them to the City Mortuary in Nairobi.

Munga said that they were shocked to stumble upon Shanty’s battered body, a heartbreaking indicator that their last child and only son had died a painful death.

“His body seemed okay from the neck down but his head had a lot of injuries.

“It felt mushy when I touched it and one of his eyes had been perforated.

Stephen Munga aka Shanty

“I know my son died in a lot of pain,” Munga said.

In a desperate search for answers, Munga sought an explanation from the mortuary workers how his body ended up there.

“They told us that Shanty was beaten up by unknown people at the event, Nai Fest, held at Ngong Racecourse,”  Munga recounted.

A post-mortem showed that Shanty had died of severe head injuries. His family, which struggling to come to terms with his murder, says nothing was out of the ordinary when Shanty left home earlier that day.

READ ALSO:   How Tob Cohen will be buried

Munga said together with his wife, they granted Shanty permission to go spend time with his friends since he had consistently demonstrated he was a responsible young man.

He left home on the afternoon of Saturday, November 7, and this was the last they saw him alive.

Filled with teenagers

This was not the first time Shanty went out with his friends and would always return home on time, his father said.

This time, he failed to return home two nights in a row, something he had never done before.

It is still not clear how the 17-year-old Form Three student gained entry to Nai Fest, a music event meant for adults. But what is certain is that on November 7, the day of the concert and the day Shanty died, he was last seen alive at the event.

However, witnesses claimed that the event organisers knowingly admitted teenagers as IDs were not a requirement to be allowed in.

“The event was filled with teenagers. People were being attacked and molested.

“There weren’t any police officers at the gate,” Dennis Mbugua, who attended the event between told the Saturday Standard.

Other witnesses corroborated Mbugua’s claim said the event not only admitted teenagers but also sold them alcohol.

READ ALSO:   Wairimu requests to attend Cohen's burial - VIDEO

Revelations by the concertgoers, both through social media posts and interviews, painted the gory picture of a concert characterised by drug use, violence and outright disregard of Covid-19 safety measures.

Witnesses questioned by the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) officers at the Kabete Police Station where Shanty’s case is being handled said they saw him at the event.

One of the witnesses, Maria Njeri, told Saturday Standard that she saw Shanty being beaten earlier during the event only to stumble on his battered body on the ground on her way out of the venue.

“Around 8.30 pm, bouncers pulled Shanty from the crowd. One of them held his hands.

“I don’t know what happened after that but two people followed them outside, one of them in tears,” Njeri recalled the events leading up to Shanty’s death.

She said when the duo returned where they were seated, she heard one of them say, “I hope they won’t hurt him.”

Njeri and her friends found Shanty’s body at around 9.40pm, just over an hour after he had been dragged out of the concert.

She recalled police officers arriving at the scene and ordering them to leave.

Later that evening, Njeri shared information about Shanty’s death on social media.

READ ALSO:   Kenyan wife of missing Dutch tycoon detained as questions abound over whether he is dead or alive

Last week, a video emerged of two men violently pounding and kicking Shanty while dragging him outside a tent at the venue.

The police are yet to arrest any suspects in relation to Shanty’s death.

Bridget Achieng, the event organiser denied that Shanty died at Nai Fest saying they found him injured backstage and rushed him to hospital.

DCI officers said they have commenced investigations into Shanty’s death after witnesses recorded statements on Wednesday.

Singers Francis Amisi (Frasha) and Hubert Nakitare, also known as Nonini joined Shanty’s family in seeking answers over his death.

By Standardmedia.co.ke


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Business

Cry of a Kenyan man whose Multi-Million-Shilling Apartments have gone unoccupied for 4 Years

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

A landlord in Kenya has been left counting losses after his real estate retirement plan goes down the drain.

85-year-old David Ndolo from Kitengela told the media that he had lost more than Ksh10 million in rent after his multimillion apartment block stayed unoccupied for 4 years.

Ndolo says he built the multi-million-shilling property in Kitengela, Kajiado County through his pension savings. Its construction was completed in 2014.

The building consists of five bedsitters and 19 two-bedroom houses, which should earn him a total of Sh250,000 per month.

“I have watched helplessly as my retirement investment crumbles,” he lamented.

According to neighbors, his tenants started fleeing due to sewer water suspected to be coming from an adjacent building linked to a retired government official.

Ndolo’s troubles began in 2014 when over 200 tenants occupied the adjacent building and sewer water started seeping into his apartments.

He says he reported the matter to the National Environmental Management Authority and public health officials but the authorities closed the building instead.

His daughter Roselyn Ndolo said that officials ordered the closure citing that the apartments were a health hazard.

When contacted by journalists, Kitengela Public Health Officer Benard Kiluva stated that he did not have enough information on the matter since he was recently posted to the area.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Cohen's body was "planted" in the compound a few days ago, declares Sarah Wairimu

Kajiado NEMA Director Joseph Kopejo promised to visit the site to probe the matter.

Government officials say Many landlords in the country have been contravening these provisions by either discharging untreated effluent into a public sewer or discharging it into the environment without an effluent discharge license.

“According to Kenyan law, it is illegal for  any person from discharging any effluent from sewer treatment works, industry or other sources into the environment without a valid effluent discharge license issued by the authority,” said a NEMA official.

 


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Diaspora

VIDEO: Kenyans in Diaspora reject BBI report, referendum

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

A lobby for Kenyans  in the diaspora is urging voters to reject the  Building Bridges Initiative report in the  referendum being championed by President Uhuru Kenyatta and ODM leader Raila Odinga.

According to Commonwealth Voter Privileges Right Association (COVPRA) the report is being imposed on Kenyans after the views of  certain groups and  elected leaders views were rejected..

Uhuru and Raila have rejected amendments to the final report saying those opposing it had time to give their views to the fourteen member committee they appointment.

 

The lobby avers that the recommendations in the final report do not represent the position of all Kenyans and a contested referendum would divide Kenyans.

“Kenyans should reject the BBI report. It is two man initiative that is being imposed on the people. The clergy have rejected it, several groups have rejected it. It’s not a Wanjiku Initiative. A few people and their surrogates want to change the Constitution for their personal gain,” Mr David Kimengere Waititu, the association’s Organising secretary told the Nation.

“It would have been  necessary to allow debate on all the issues that  arose in the final report  before coming  up with a bill. Kenyans are being taken for a ride,”  he said.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: DCI out to fix innocent woman in Cohen's murder -Wairimu's lawyer

In June the group petitioned the committee  led by Garissa senator Yusuf Hajji to allow views from all dissenting voices saying all Kenyans should be allowed to participate.

“Freedom to Assembly, Freedom of expression and Freedom to political participation are so important in a  process like this one. It would be a sham  if the BBI Team was to ignore the views of some Kenyans. During the  meetings to sensitize the public on the initiative,” Kimengere said.

Leaders allied to Deputy President William Ruto and civil society are opposed to some of the proposals in the final report.

The group says a contested referendum would leave the country divided.

“We do not want a process that would leave Kenyans more divided. Let all Kenyans reject this report in a referendum to save their country from a few people who think they own Kenya.  We in Covpra, have our motherland at heart,” he said.

 Covpra said that the future of Kenya lies in the hands of the hollo polloi and not it’s leaders.

“ We call upon the Kenyans poor not to buy to the schemes of the dynasties. Let us protect our country by rejecting this monster called BBI if it goes to the referendum.

The group said in a statement that Kenyans should reject plots by politician to engage in chaos.

READ ALSO:   Sarah Wairimu Cohen wants Tob Cohen’s death certificate and Sh500 million for ‘loss’ of property

“At the end, this might result to   a badly contested referendum and  create a poisoned society ahead of the 2022 general elections. Let’s refuse any incitement to violence and stand up against the dynasties to shape the future of Kenya,” he says.

In their June petition, the group cited the strained relations between the Executive and the Judiciary and the fall out in the ruling Jubilee party over the process as a matter of concern.

“Our position stands that there is no proposal  to fix the simmering tensions between the two arms of government and between the two leaders of the Executive,” Mr Kimengere stated.

-nation.co.ke


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Special Offer: Own one starting at Ksh 3.7M


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2020 Calendar

September 2019
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending