Connect with us

News

Raila Junior, Boniface Mwangi renew rivalry over Kibra candidate

Published

on

A war of words has erupted between human rights activist Boniface Mwangi and Raila Junior over who is the right candidate in the Kibra Constituency by-election.

It all started after the young Raila ridiculed Mwangi’s candidate, Editar Ochieng, who will be running on Ukweli Party’s ticket, which is associated with the activist.

But Raila Junior gave her slim chance at victory.

“I honestly feel there will be more spoilt votes than votes for her @bonifacemwangi if @SportPesa were still on I’d make that bet. Why would someone waste their time and money like this?,” he shared.

Mwangi in his response did not mince his words, retorting that Junior’s father, Raila Odinga, had run for presidency for years without success.

SWORN AS PRESIDENT

“Your father @RailaOdinga has been running for President since 1997. 22 year later he is still running but has never been sworn as president. @Railajunior let @oeditar run for MP Kibra in peace. Bet on your dad becoming president in 2022 and let Editar Ochieng be.”

Later, Mwangi reminded Junior how in 2018 went to a restaurant and lamented on Twitter how Talisman restaurant discriminated his child, claiming the establishment has a ‘racist’ playground where toys are only available to white children.

READ ALSO:   Sonko to airlift Kibera residents to visit their ailing MP Ken Okoth in France

The Kibra parliamentary seat, which fell vacant following the death of Ken Okoth, has attracted a number of candidates from various parties.

ANC last week unveiled former Odinga aide Eliud Owalo as its candidate in the race, while Ford Kenya will be represented by Khamisi Butichi. Fo otballer McDonald Mariga will fly Jubilees’ flag.

ODM will  hold its primaries on September 7 to pick a flag-bearer from the 11 aspirants who have been cleared by the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC).

The by-election will be held on November 7.

By Nairobi News

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Patrick

    September 4, 2019 at 9:15 am

    Can you run for same… #bonny#railajrn….

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

US investors express interest in pyrethrum

Published

on

Pyrethrum farmers are set for good tidings following increased interest in the sector by foreign investors. This follows an announcement by US Ambassador to Kenya Kyle McCarter that investors from his country are already in Kenya scouting to establish pyrethrum processing plants.McCarter said some US investors have already started setting up production factories in Nairobi.

“Pyrethrum is something that Kenya historically has seen a lot of prosperity from, and that market is coming back,” the envoy said during his tour of North Rift region recently. The envoy, who was speaking in Iten, Elgeyo-Marakwet County, said the US will continue supporting investments in Kenya, particularly in agriculture.

The cash crop used in the manufacture of agrochemicals including insecticides and pesticides was abandoned in the late 1990s following declining fortunes occasioned by the loss of key markets.McCarter encouraged pyrethrum manufacturers who had quit the business in Kenya to return, saying there was immense potential in the sector.

“We shall continue our support for agriculture. We have some US investors who are already in Kenya now to invest in pyrethrum. We want to encourage investors who left the country to return,” he said.

Largest producer

Elgeyo Marakwet Governor Alex Tolgos said his county was the second-largest producer of pyrethrum before the loss of market that triggered a shift to potatoes.The county boss noted that farmers from Elgeyo Marakwet highlands were ready for a revival of the crop as soon they are assured of a market.

READ ALSO:   Kibra poll: Mariga to compete for Jubilee ticket

“We invite investors from the US to our county. I wish we knew when the production factory was being established in Nairobi. We would have requested them to set it up in Elgeyo Marakwet,” said Tolgos.

He wooed American investors to set up another processing factory in Elgeyo Marakwet, which he noted will reduce transport costs to Nairobi.“Once we are assured of a market, our people will immediately start growing pyrethrum. We will also increase funds to the sector in our subsequent allocations.”Early this year, Nakuru Governor Lee Kinyanjui announced plans to revive pyrethrum through a partnership with four State agencies.

These are Kenya Plant Health Inspectorate Service, Kenya Agricultural and Livestock Research Organisation, the Pyrethrum Processing Company of Kenya and Egerton University.In the 1980s and early 1990s, Kenya was a major producer and player in the world’s pyrethrum sector. Nakuru, Elgeyo Marakwet, Nyandarua, Nyeri, Kiambu, Trans Nzoia, Uasin Gishu, Kisii and West Pokot were the highest producers.

By Standard

Continue Reading

News

Why flights to this part of Kenya have been suspended

Published

on

By JUDITH GICOBI

Amboseli airstrip was on Thursday closed by the Kenya Wildlife Service(KWS) after heavy rains pounded the area.

Following the airstrip’s closure, local airlines also suspended their flights on Friday in the wake of the KWS advisory.

There’s massive flooding at the airstrip, including the key amenities after heavy rains prompting the closure.

KWS has put a temporary closure of the airstrip effective 12th Dec 2019 following heavy rains,” a statement from Air Kenya read in part.

In the statement, the main entrance to the Amboseli National Park is also flooded.

The park’s Kimana Gate is periodically flooded and inaccessible as are some parts of the park,” KWS said.

Therefore, all visitors to Amboseli National Park are advised to seek guidance about the status of the roads via the park’s hotline number 0716493335,” the statement added.

The meteorological department has issued a warning of more heavy rains and thunderstorms in many parts of the country, and other regions will experience floods.

READ ALSO:   IEBC announces date for Kibra by-election
Continue Reading

News

VIDEO: Kenyan flag honored on the world’s tallest building in Dubai

Published

on

By JUDITH GICOBI

Kenyans on Twitter were uncontrollable after the Kenyan flag was beamed onto the world’s tallest building, Burj Khalifa,UAE, on Thursday night.

In the video, the Kenyan flag can be seen rotating from the top to the bottom as elated tourists watched. Photos and videos of the mall decorated with the Kenyan flag made rounds on social media. The beaming was displayed on December 12 when Kenyans celebrate Jamhuri day.

For a promotional advert or message it costs between Ksh 7 million to Ksh 27.5 million for five three minute impressions depending on the time and whether it’s a weekend or weekday.

Questions also arose on the cost of the 828 metre height display. It is not clear on who bore the cost for the display. Whether Kenya paid for the display or it was Dubai’s way of celebrating Kenya, which has a huge number of visitors and workers in the flashy Emirate.

 

 

 

READ ALSO:   Kibra poll: Mariga to compete for Jubilee ticket
Continue Reading


Are you looking for a Church to fellowship in Atlanta Metro Area?

poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

September 2019
M T W T F S S
« Aug   Oct »
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!