Connect with us

News

TV actor ‘Mwala’ to be charged with man’s death

Published

on

TV comedian Davies Mwabili, popularly known as Inspekta Mwala, will be arraigned in Mariakani, Kilifi County on Friday.

Rabai Police Sub-County Commander David Maina confirmed that Mr Mwambili will be charged with causing death through dangerous driving.

Mr Mwabili is out on a Sh40,000 police bond.

On Sunday last week, he knocked down and killed 35-year-old Ismael Mangi in Kwa Randu along the Mazeras highway.

The victim worked at Rhino Cement company and hailed from Malindi Constituency.

According to reports from the police, Mr Mwabili was overtaking another vehicle when he knocked Mr Mangi who was crossing the road.

Mr Mwabili was driving from Kaloleni town.

Earlier reports from police said the actor was to be taken to court after a post-mortem exam is done on the body at the Coast General Hospital mortuary.

The post-mortem was conducted last Tuesday and the body released to the family who proceeded to Malindi.

At the same time, the Rabai police boss has denied claims that the family has been allowed to settle the matter out of court.

“The family is not the complainant, it is the republic on their behalf and a case of causing death cannot be settled out of court,” said Mr Maina.

Mr Maina said authorities are working according to the law and that the family is at liberty to decide on what course they will follow.

“We will charge him and if the family wants to settle the matter out of court it is upon them, but we will have done our part,” he said.

A source hinted that Mr Mwabili had approached the family and is negotiating to have the case be solved out of court and that the process is ongoing.

By nation.co.ke

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Father: KDF used, dumped my son

Published

on

He had it all— his dream military job, a wife and children, a supportive family and generally, self-sufficiency, which was only a subject of envy to his peers.

Then his employer, the Kenya Defence Forces (KDF), sent him on a peace and restoration mission in Somalia under the African Union Mission in Somalia (Amisom).

Yet, Second Lieutenant John Njoroge’s own life has never experienced peace since he returned from the war-torn county last year.

He developed a mental condition, lost his job, his wife left with their child, and is now forcefully confined at home.

To his family, Njoroge who was once the pillar, has turned violent, profane, abusive, arrogant.

Once, he stabbed his own brother and now his mother says it is “risky to be around him”.

His father, Peter Mwangi, said his son always showed commitment and dedication in his work and was never late to attended to him, his mother, wife and siblings.

“We always came first in his plans, and a few months after his commissioning, he built us a house. He was our source of hope, great expectations and he supported us financially whenever we called on him. That changed,” narrated the frustrated Mwangi.

Joyce Wangari Mwangi, the mother of John Njoroge. PHOTO | JOHN NJOROGE | NATION MEDIA GROUP

The battle on second lieutenant’s mind started with the battle of Kulbiyow.

He was among the 250 Kenyan and Somali soldiers who were stationed at the base that was attacked by Al-Shabaab on January 27, 2017.

That night, Al-Shabaab forces moved into the Amison base around midnight.

The soldiers at the base responded by firing mortars and artillery at the militants in a bombardment that lasted 50 minutes and the commanders believed that they had repulsed the attackers.

Twenty minutes later though, an explosive-laden truck that was driven by an Al-Shabaab suicide bomber into the base burst into flames.

A brutal and confusing gunfight began and a second car bomb was activated by the militants, then a third one.

The battle lasted for close to an hour and left tens of soldiers dead.

Al-Shabaab was quick to claim responsibility and claimed that it had killed 67 soldiers in total.

Some soldiers were lucky to survive and one of them was 2Lieut Njoroge.

The aftermath of the battle, Second Lieut Njoroge’s family claims, was a disturbed son.

Second Lieutenant John Njoroge. PHOTO | COURTESY

They believe their son could not handle the traumatic event and needed the support of his employer and his family.

They believe that their son was mistaken when he needed help and then fired.

The red flag was raised during the 2017 elections, when Njoroge arrived at their home in Njoro, clad in ceremonial attire. His parents say, that is the day they started questioning the soundness of their second born child’s mind.

“We noticed a change in his character when he returned. He narrated the Kulbiyow ordeal with bitterness, horror, disgust and fear. Then slowly, he became an alcoholic,” his mother Joyce Wangare said adding that by then, he was attached to the 20th Parachute Battalion based at the Kenyatta Barracks in Gilgil.

“He badly fought everyone who came near him and I was not spared too. His father, would be his most target until we all got worried.”

Second Lieut Njoroge’s Vehicle— a Subaru—is being held at Ronda Police Post and the police say they can only release it after proof of ownership and upon payment of Sh7,000 being charges for breakdown services.

The police said they found the vehicle dumped along the road late last year in Kaptembwa after Njoroge abandoned it, with all doors closed.

The family believes their son acted that way because of his depression tendencies.

In a letter addressed to KDF Para 20 dated March 30, the family desperately asked the forces to help their son to undergo treatment, claiming that the change in behaviour pointed at a man in need of help.

In the letter, Njoroge’s relatives also questioned why even after reporting the concerns to KDF in 2018, he was transferred to Nairobi instead of being helped to seek counselling and treatment for what they suspected to be Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).

His family alleged that the Kenya Defence Forces had initially promised to take him to Defence Forces Memorial Hospital.

“He went to Nairobi without a phone and a friend of his who is a police officer is the one who called us to tell us that our son was loitering in the streets of Nairobi. He said Njoroge was spotted wearing one shoe. We sent him fare and he travelled home in Nakuru,” the letter reads in part.

When he arrived, the letter went on, is when the manifestation of the strange behaviour was noticed.

After stabbing his brother twice, poured hot cooking oil on his sister, threatening to hack his father and constantly threatening to eliminate his wife, his wife sought refuge at the Njoro Police Station from where, her parents later fetched her and their child.

Njoroge’s father says that his son has since wrecked down their house window glasses and that the family has made constant reports to the police station in Njoro and also to the military.

When no help came, Mr Mwangi says, the family placed the family land on sale and now, its title deed is in the hands of loan lenders in Nakuru town.

The Military Science degree holder was commissioned as an officer at the Kenya Military Academy, Lanet, in 2014, after he scored an A- in his Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) examination.

Mr Mwangi told the Nation that his son always showed commitment and dedication in his work and wondered why the KDF has not helped him when he needs them the most.

“We are at loss. This is someone who valued his family,” distraught Mwangi said.

Njoroge’s siblings Moses Mbaki and Lucy Nyambura said plans for them to continue with their studies suddenly came to a halt after their brother’s fate twisted.

Mbaki, Njoroge’s last-born brother, told the Nation that despite completing his high school studies last year, he couldn’t proceed since all the focus was shifted to his elder brother’s treatment.

Lucy said her brother was always helpful and quick to respond to distress calls.

“My prayer is that he gets well soon,” she said.

The ordeal puts KDF on the spot over how the Kenyan military treats their soldiers after they are affected by traumatic events after onslaughts in peace missions.

The Nation’s efforts get a comment from KDF communication office have not been successful.

KDF Spokesperson Colonel Paul Njuguna said is need for a face-to-face discussion on the issue.

by nation.co.ke

Continue Reading

News

Husband attacks wife in class

Published

on

A teachers’ lobby has condemned a recent attack on a female teacher in Bondo, Siaya County, in class.

The Kenya Women Teachers Association (Kewota) has termed the assault on Everlyn Otieno, 25, as she taught at St Paul’s Gulf Academy as barbaric, inhuman and traumatising to teachers and pupils.

Mrs Otieno was attacked by her 32-year-old husband Kevin Otieno Ochieng on September 17 while in class.

According to witnesses, Mr Otieno stormed into the classroom and demanded for Ms Otieno’s phone, which she gave.

He went out only to come back and beat her then drew a knife and stabbed her on the neck and the left cheek.

Mrs Otieno, a mother of two, was treated and discharged from Bondo Sub-County Hospital.

She said that her husband had threatened to kill her on several occasions.

Kewota Chairperson Dorothy Muthoni on Friday called on police and state prosecutors to take action against Mr Ochieng, who is said to have been arrested but later was released under unclear circumstances.

“Couples should find amicable solutions to domestic problems without resorting to violence or murder,” she said.

This incident comes barely a week after another female teacher was found murdered by unknown people in Kisumu.

Her husband is among those suspected to have had a hand in the brutal attack.

The Kewota chairperson called on Teachers Service Commission to ensure the safety of teachers in schools.

“Murder cases involving women teachers is on the rise and women teachers should take utmost precaution when signs of domestic violence start showing before they turn tragic,” she added.

by nation.co.ke

Continue Reading

News

Wairimu requests to attend Cohen’s burial – VIDEO

Published

on

Sarah Wairimu Kamotho, who is accused of murdering her Dutch husband Tob Cohen, wants to be allowed to attend his burial, slated for Monday.

Ms Kamotho on Friday filed an application at the High Court seeking orders to compel Lang’ata Women’s Prison to allow her to send off her estranged husband.

“We urge this court to issue  a production order to the OC Lang’ata Women’s Prison to produce and escort Sarah  Wairimu to the Jewish  Cemetery on September 23, 2019 at 1.30pm to attend the funeral of Tob Cohen,” her lawyer Philip Murgor says in the application.

Ms Kamotho, who refused to witness opening of her husband’s Will on Friday, is awaiting to plead to a charge of murdering him on September 26.

In the application by Mr Murgor, Ms Kamotho has named Director of Public Prosecutions Noordin Haji as the defendant while Ms Gabrielle Van Straten, Mr Cohen’s sister, has been named as an interested party.

Ms Kamotho says she wants to participate in the burial rites of her late husband.

Lawyer Cliff Ombeta, who is representing the Cohens, said the family is not opposed her attendance.

DPP Haji did not oppose the request either.

Justice certified the case as urgent and directed the parties to return to court on Monday 8am for the ruling.

By nation.co.ke

Continue Reading

Are you looking for a Church to fellowship in Atlanta Metro Area?

poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

September 2019
M T W T F S S
« Aug    
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!