Connect with us

News

US gvt to create fake social media accounts to monitor visa, Green Card applicants

Published

on

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services officers can now make fake social media accounts they can use to monitor information that individuals who seek visas, green cards, and U.S. citizenships post on social media.

In a statement, the USCIS said that fake accounts and identities can make it easier for investigators to find potential evidence of fraud or security concerns involving people who want to enter the country.

Officers in the Fraud Detection and National Security Directorate of the agency will conduct the review of the social media accounts of those flagged as requiring further investigation.

The officers, however, can only review publicly available social media available to all users on the platform. They are not allowed to “friend” or “follow” an individual and have to undergo yearly training.

They are neither allowed to interact with users on social media sites and can only passively review information.

The new plan is a policy change from July that reverses a Homeland Security Department ban that cited privacy issues.

USCIS said it doesn’t proactively monitor social media accounts.

“We use social media information to investigate an existing request for immigration benefits, as part of our background and security check process,” the statement said.

In June, the State Department started requiring visa applicants to give their social media information.

However, the new USCIS policy may violate Facebook’s and Twitter’s terms of use, which both prohibit users from creating fake accounts.

However, some social media companies are not impressed.

“It is against our policies to use fake personae and to use Twitter data for persistent surveillance of individuals. We look forward to understanding USCIS’s proposed practices to determine whether they are consistent with our terms of service,” Twitter said in a statement.

Facebook spokesperson Sarah Pollack told AP in a statement:”Law enforcement authorities, like everyone else, are required to use their real names on Facebook and we make this policy clear. Operating fake accounts is not allowed, and we will act on any violating accounts.”

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Lydiah

    September 7, 2019 at 12:50 am

    Actually it’s a great idea since people have become swindlers. Hopefully it will assist even us who want to go to the US for the job.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Woman throws her three children into River Nzoia

Published

on

A 24-year-old woman dumped her two children into River Nzoia in Lugari Constituency, Kakamega County last night seconds before jumping into the river with a third child on her back.

The woman who has been identified as Winnie, left her sister’s house where she had been staying at 9 pm duping her children that she is taking them to the shop. It is when they got to the bridge that she asked the children to close their eyes before pushing them one after the other into the roaring mass of water moments after taking the same leap to her death.

One girl survived after clutching on to a branch a distance from where she plunged into the water. The standard two girl explained the horror when she called for help holding on a weak branch.

“She grabbed our hands and jumped in the river. I reach in the middle of the river and got hold of a stick and lurched to it. I was crying,” said the little girl in tears.

According to Alice Magoma, the sister to Winnie, she had come to stay with her after some small disagreement with her husband.

“I didn’t see any problems with her. She had been staying with me for about a week and the husband even came to pick her up yesterday but they disagreed over a certain text message. I asked him to come another day when she has cooled down,” explained Alice.

Alice explains that her sister was Okay in the evening, relaxing and chatting. She had left her to cook supper only to come back and find her and the kids not present in the house.

“That’s the last time I saw my sister. She didn’t tell me anything. She didn’t tell me her plan. I thought she was going to sleep at the neighbour’s place. I was wrong.”

The standard two girl who survived was found by Joseph Maleso, the chairman of the Nyumba kumi who took her to his home, gave her some tea and later took her to the police station where they recorded a statement.

The bodies of the woman and her two children are yet to be found.

By Standardmedia.co.ke

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Autopsy shows Churchill Show comedian Kasee was poisoned

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

An autopsy report released on Friday, July 3, from the Chiromo mortuary has revealed the late comedian Kasee was poisoned.

The news was made public by by Kenya Comedians Society chairman, Ken Waudo, who quashed reports linking Kasee’s death to alcoholism and depression.

According to Waudo, the deceased, born Joseph Musyoki, received a call from friends on Sunday, June 28, early morning to join them for drinks at a local joint.

He then left his wife and kids to honour his friend’s wishes but never returned home.

“Kasee was chilling at home with his wife and kids when he was called to go hang out with friends and have some drinks.

“He later felt unwell saying his stomach was disturbing him and even called his dad to inform him of the same,” Waudo said.

Kasee had promised to call his dad immediately he got home but never did.

Waudo said at the place the comedian was found dead, there were some kids who revealed he had complained of stomach problems and decided to take a nap before going home.

This was the exact place that the comedian was confirmed dead on the evening of Sunday, June 28.

“It was around 6 in the evening and cops who arrived on the scene confirmed he was dead.

“The examiner said his brain was clear and nothing to do with depression and his liver was not that bad, so he was probably poisoned,” Waudo added.

Waudo also revealed investigations were ongoing.

Kasee is survived by two children and a wife.

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

‘Humanity is still alive’ – ex-TPF star Alvan Gatitu says on Kenyans support

Published

on

Former Tusker project fame participant Alvan Gatitu has thanked Kenyans for coming to his aid, during a difficult moment in his life.

This was after he shared a video of himself narrating how he had been kicked out of his house.

Taking to his social media account Alvan wrote,

‘when you start your day one way and end up in a different place.

Thankful from the bottom of my heart, God bless you.

Humanity is still alive.’

Speaking during an interview on NTV Alvan said he has fought anxiety attacks before.

‘I have suffered anxiety attacks before.

One thing I promised myself is that I would never be vulnerable enough to speak about where I am in life.

I was trying to hold a fallacy that was hurting me.’

Alvan added,

‘When I woke up in that guard’s booth,I knew I was done trying to  show that am alright.

I had reached out for help and nothing was coming through.

I decided to speak the reality of my situation.’

Kenyans heard his cries and contributed towards his welfare.

It was once again a chance for Kenyans to prove that umoja ni nguvu.

Truth be told, many people are suffering it’s just that they do not have the guts to share like Alvan did.

It’s a high time people normalized the idea of speaking out and sharing their problems.

Usikubali kufa na shida peke yaki, ongea,usikike.

By Mpasho.co.ke

Continue Reading


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

September 2019
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!