Connect with us

News

Visually impaired acid attack survivor in the US for surgery – PHOTOS

Published

on

Acid attack survivor Dan Matakayia travelled to the United State for his surgery to open up his nostril at Alessi Institute in California.

Matakayia, a former police officer, was attacked with acid by his wife on the morning of September 21st, 2013.

ACID ATTACK

The scorching acid badly burnt his face, leaving him blind and with a deformed face.

He left the country on September 4, 2019 for a one month stay in the US to undergo the surgery after he won full sponsorship from the Face Forward International.

The man, who celebrates his birthday on September 10, has been received well by Kenyans in the US.

The family of Glory Riungu has taken it upon themselves to take care of Matakayia for the month he will be staying in the US.

From the pictures he shared exclusively with Nairobi News, Matakayia has settled in very well in the US.

Acid attack survivor Dan Matakayia in the US. PHOTO | COURTESY
Acid attack survivor Dan Matakayia in the US. PHOTO | COURTESY

On his first visit, as he awaits his surgery on September 20, 2019, Matakayia visited the iconic Hollywood Walk of Fame and the TCL Chinese Theatre.

He has also gone for shopping, as most of the clothes he carried from Kenya were meant for the cold weather yet Los Angeles is all sunny.

READ ALSO:   Acid survivor gets full sponsorship for surgery in US

Over the weekend, Matakayia attended church service at KICC Los Angeles Church where he shared his story with Kenyan community there.

Acid attack survivor Dan Matakayia (centre) with friends in the US. PHOTO | COURTESY
Acid attack survivor Dan Matakayia (centre) with friends in the US. PHOTO | COURTESY

He was then invited for a TV interview at KTLA virtual channel 5 subsidiary of the Tribune Media Company.

Matakayia will also get the opportunity to speak during the the 10th Face Forward International Gala night.

The money raised during the dinner gala with help more people like Matakayia who have gone through domestic violence and have been left with visible scares.

By Nairobi News

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

History as UoN conducts virtual exams amid Covid-19 pandemic – VIDEO

Published

on

The University of Nairobi on Tuesday become the first Kenyan learning institution to conduct the country’s first ever end of semester examinations online owing to the Covid-19 pandemic.

The first examination saw 26 students pursuing a Master of Arts in Environmental Law and eight taking Master of Arts in Environmental Policy sit a four-hour exam.

ONLINE EXAMS

The university shifted to online examinations in order to provide students with options to complete their studies at a time when face-to-face exams are impossible to be held because of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Speaking to the university’s communications team, Centre for Advanced studies in Environmental Law and Policy (CASELAP) Director, Dr Collins Odote said:

“We used Google platforms to administer our exams-first we invited our students to Google Classroom so that we are able to see all of them and then we used Google Meet to monitor or invigilate the process.”

According to the University, the successful online examinations process followed intense weeks of teaching and learning also conducted virtually via Google Suite, Zoom and Webex among other eLearning platforms.

UoN Vice Chancellor Prof Stephen Kiama said that over 5500 virtual classes had already taken place and were still going on.

E-LEARNING

He said that the mechanisms had been put in place to ensure the quality of the online exams is not compromised in anyway.

READ ALSO:   Acid survivor gets full sponsorship for surgery in US

“As a world class university all our examination guidelines and procedures have been benchmarked against the global best practice and we shall continue to ensure that they are reliable, consistent and of integrity,” said Prof Kiama.

As part of the quality assurance process the university organized a series of training sessions in mid-March for faculty and administrative staff on eLearning in an effort to ensure students continued to receive high quality education while staying safe from the coronavirus pandemic.

The learning institution added that, in a bid to bridge digital divide and ensure that no one is left out, the university negotiated deals with network provider Telkom to provide free data bundles for faculty and students.

“However for students with poor internet connection, the UoN continues to provide them with playback lecture videos and courseware packages,” the university said.

Prof Kiama has also acknowledged that students with special needs and other disadvantaged groups may face difficulties in undertaking online exams but said their issues shall be addressed individually as they arise.

By Nairobi News

Continue Reading

Diaspora

VIDEO: Mom to Kenyan lady in US murdered in cold blood

Published

on

With great sadness we wish to inform you of the sudden and unexpected passing of Jackie Koli‘s mom, Beatrice Wanjiku Gitura.

She went missing on Friday May 22 and later found murdered in her car. Her throat had been slit, hands tied with a rope and a piece of cloth tied across her mouth.

The body was in the passenger’s seat and the car was abandoned on the roadside. Beatrice, 57, went missing on Friday after leaving work. Her body was found in Njukiri, Embu, about 20km from her residence.

The late Beatrice Wanjiku

It’s a double tragedy since the sister to her mom (Jackie’s auntie) passed on the same day- Friday morning after battling with cancer.
Jackie, an only child, needs our financial support as she prepares to bury her mom and seek justice. Any help will be highly appreciated.
Jackie Koli lives in Seattle, Washington State.

Kindly make your donation through either of these channels:

GoFundMe-Help Jackie bury her mom and seek justice

CashApp:

253-245-6057 – ($PriscillaMuiruri)
206-372-2899 – ($Jacklinekoli)
Zelle: 206-372-2899 – (Koli Ann)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

READ ALSO:   Acid survivor gets full sponsorship for surgery in US
Continue Reading

Health

KCB employee tests positive for Covid-19

Published

on

KCB Bank has temporarily closed its Mvita branch in Mombasa after an employee tested positive for the new coronavirus.

In a press release, KCB Group CEO Joshua Oigara said the outlet was closed for three days for immediate cleaning and disinfection of the premises.

All staff who came into contact with the infected colleague are currently undergoing counselling and screening, the CEO said.

“Our priority remains safeguarding the safety and wellbeing of our staff, customers and other stakeholders,” said Mr Oigara

He said the bank had taken precautionary measures internally in line with guidelines issued by government agencies.

The bank encouraged customers to access services using digital channels including mobile banking, KCB M-Pesa, Vooma and internet banking

Customers can also use alternative options like KCB Mtaani agents, cash recyclers, ATMs and cash deposit machines.

KCB is the largest commercial bank in Kenya with branches in Uganda, Tanzania, Burundi, Rwanda and a representative office in Ethiopia.

The bank says it has deployed screening and quarantine to manage the incident.

It becomes the second bank to close its branch after Diamond Trust Bank (DTB), which temporarily closed an outlet in Kilifi when a staff member was suspected to have the coronavirus.

READ ALSO:   Acid survivor gets full sponsorship for surgery in US
Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!