Connect with us

News

Wairimu vows to fight allegations

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Under the watchful eye of prison warders — many in plain clothes — Sarah Wairimu lay a bunch of flowers on the grave of her late husband Tob Cohen, whose murder has gripped the nation.
“I am not scared of anybody,” she said after she was asked to speak.
A small crowd of onlookers stood at a distance watching the ceremony attended by the Cohen’s Kenyan friends and his brother Bernard.

SECURITY MEN
“It is a sad end,” Bernard told the Nation after laying flowers after Ms Wairimu left the grave site, which will be guarded overnight by police.
The rites began at the mortuary shortly after 3pm Tuesday before the convoy escorting the deceased snaked its way to the mortuary, where onlookers and journalists were kept at bay until the rites were completed and Cohen’s body buried — by both the rabbi and Jewish security men; their pistols clear in the waistbands of their trousers.
Later, Mr Cliff Ombeta, Cohen’s lawyer, said: “I have requested two police officers from Parklands to keep guard — just in case people think we buried him with jewels; which we did not.”
As Ms Wairimu left the old Jewish cemetery in Parklands, Nairobi, the crowd of onlookers charged forward at the gate and heckled her as the police vehicle sped off to Lang’ata Women’s Prison, where she has been detained pending the hearing of a case in which she is accused of killing the reputed golf organiser and entombing him in an underground water tank.
She had been allowed by a Nairobi court to attend the burial — a legal compromise agreed upon by the Cohen family led by Mr Ombeta and Ms Wairimu’s lawyer, Mr Phillip Murgor.
Ms Wairimu was allowed to make a short speech and mourn her husband and she accused Cohen’s friends of coming to the funeral to shed crocodile tears.

READ ALSO:   Photos of Sarah Wairimu Cohen slaying after being released

‘NOT SCARED’
“I’m not scared of anybody,” she said. “One thing Tob taught me is not to take no for an answer. So, even in this I’m going to fight. And even as we stand here … the ones responsible for Tob’s death are here in sheep’s skin, your days are numbered.”
Some of Cohen’s closest friends attended the private funeral and included Muthaiga Golf Club members.
Among those present and who were allowed to speak were former Gatundu MP Ngengi Muigai, his brother Mr Kung’u Muigai and former Gatundu North MP Kariuki Muiruri, who eulogised him as a gentleman.
But it was Ms Wairimu’s remarks that caught them off guard.
“That was an insult to us,” said Mr Kung’u, the man who negotiated Ms Wairimu’s dowry when she married Cohen. “I have known Sarah and Cohen for many years and I don’t know why she is angry with his friends for seeking to know what happened to our friend.”
At the funeral, Ms Wairimu had been given a small bouquet of red and yellow roses, which she held by her chest waiting for a signal on when to lay them on the grave. When the time came, she bent to pay her last respects to the man she lived with for a decade

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Cohen's body was "planted" in the compound a few days ago, declares Sarah Wairimu

ARMED POLICE
She then stared at the grave for a moment, blew a kiss and walked away as a battery of journalists swarmed to take pictures.
Undeterred by the heavy presence of armed police, Ms Wairimu, who in her previous public appearances kept her emotions hidden, shed tears for the first time in public as she maintained her innocence.

While the entrance to the cemetery was restricted to family and friends of the late Cohen, a handful of his widow’s relatives managed to get in as well and they stood by Ms Wairimu’s side during the entire ceremony.
Ms Wairimu’s lawyer Philip Murgor said his client was gratified that the deceased had been granted a dignified send off and politics kept aside.
Tob Cohen went missing on July 19/20 and his wife had told her friends that he had left for treatment in Thailand. But Mr Cohen’s sister, Gabriele Van Straten alerted the Dutch police that her brother was missing in Kenya.
Investigations by Directorate of Criminal investigations later uncovered his body inside a water tank — some 55 days after he disappeared.

by nation.co.ke


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

VIDEO: Optiven CEO opens up about growing up in abject poverty, doing laundry for fellow students

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 2
  •  
  •  
  •  

George Wachiuri, the CEO of Optiven Limited, has opened up about a side of him few people know about. Despite having built a multi-billion Shilling Real Estate Company and becoming one of the most recognisable names in the field, Wachiuri has remained a humble servant, who says he views his customers as associates and greatly respects and values his work mates. 

In an interview with Jeremy Damaris of Kenya Diaspora Media, he tells of how he struggled, lost money and friends, before rebounding “by the grace of God.”

A Certified Public Accountant – CPA (K) and is a former Lecturer at Daystar University, his entrepreneurial spirit developed early, and was awarded the Entreprenuer of the year 1997 by the University of Nairobi.

He is currently a PhD candidate at the Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology.

He holds a Masters’s degree in Business Administration (University of Nairobi), and a Bachelor of Commerce (Marketing option) Degree from University of Nairobi.

Watch as he tells his amazing story in Gīkūyū


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 2
  •  
  •  
  •  
READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Police believe Billionaire Cohen may have been kidnapped and murdered
Continue Reading

Lifestyle

‘Kikambala hotel bombing in 2002 changed our lives’

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 2
  •  
  •  
  •  

The scars on Mercy Neema Mwagambo’s body are a stark reminder of what happened at Paradise Beach Hotel in Kikambala 18 years ago.

On November 28, 2002, a two-pronged terrorist attack hit an Israeli-owned hotel but missed a plane belonging to Arkia Airlines.

A vehicle crashed through a barrier outside the hotel on the Kilifi-Mombasa highway and blew up, killing 17 people and injuring 80 others.

Every year today, Neema and 13 victims of the attack and their families converge at the deserted hotel to pray for the souls of their departed relatives.

However, today could be the last annual ritual as the owner has put the hotel for sale.

Annual ritual

For Neema and other victims, it’s not clear if the prospective buyer would allow them to continue with this annual ritual.

It is an attack that left villages of Musumarini in Kilifi County destitute, negatively affected Israelis’ investments at the Coast and damaged the tourism sector.

“I am trying to sell this property even at a throwaway price,” said Yehuda Sulami, an Israeli, on phone from Tel Aviv, although he did not reveal the price.

Sulami claims that after the attack, there were efforts to push him out of business.

The former special forces officer said he had no money to compensate victims of the attack.

“I’ve faced an avalanche of litigation on compensation. There was no insurance cover on terrorism,” said Sulami.

It is the first time has spoken publicly on the matter.

He said while he sympathised with those who lost their loved ones or suffered injuries, he lost his lifetime investment and close friends and “there was no one to comfort me.”

READ ALSO:   Sarah Wairimu’s dad shows his support in court (photos)

Among the 17 who perished were 14 Kenyans and three Israelis. The deserted hotel is arguably the only remaining mark of Israel investment in Coast.

Prior to the attack, over 100,000 tourists from Israel had made Mombasa and Kenyan Coast their second home away from home.

“Arkia Airline used to bring in between 250-270 guests per flight. It had operated Mombasa route for close to seven years before the attempted missile attack,” said Sulami.

After the attack, the airline stopped flying the route and Israel investments at the Coast started dwindling.

Sulami claimed that what followed was a number of litigation and attempts to force them to close down the hotel.

“We became the target yet the Kenyan government had promised to assist the affected persons,” said Sulami, without providing any evidence of the alleged persecution.

The victims of the attack narrated to the Saturday Standard on how they were neglected by the Government and the owner of the hotel.

For instance, Neema cannot walk as her legs were seriously injured. She was working at the front office at the hotel.

On that fateful day, she was helping a guest check in as her colleagues were overwhelmed by the number of tourists.

“Had I remained inside the hotel at my work station, may be I would not have been injured this way,” said Neema.

November is a peak season for the tourism sector in Coast. On that day, as a group of 230 guests were leaving the hotel, another 250 tourists were checking in. All the guests were Israelis.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Police believe Billionaire Cohen may have been kidnapped and murdered

“I reported early for duty on that fateful day and was looking forward to a rather busy day since we had huge check in and check out for guests,” she said in an interview.

At the gate, a troupe of Girima dancers were doing their jig to bid goodbye to outgoing guests and welcome the incoming ones.

Most of the incoming tourists had already been ushered in to the waiting lounge at the reception but a small group had joined the traditional dancers.

“What followed was a huge bang followed by fire all over the Makuti-thatched hotel,” Neema said, adding that she found herself on the ground.

Neema could not walk so she crawled to the swimming pool. She had suffered serious burns allover her body and decided to jump into the swimming pool to cool herself.

“I was taken to hospital in Mombasa and later airlifted by a military aircraft to Israel for specialised treatment at Jerusalem Hospital. I spent four weeks receiving treatment for my broken legs and burnt face and back,” she said.

The Kikambala bombing incident also robbed the family of Mufidha Mohamed of its breadwinner, Wildred Oyaro Owuor, who used to operate a taxi business at the hotel.

“My husband suffered a ruptured stomach. He died 21 days after he was admitted at Pandya Hospital,” Mufidha says. She was breastfeeding Zaki, their last born now 18 years, when the attack happened.

She said with the death of her husband, she was left as the sole breadwinner to fend for her five children.

“It has not been easy for us all. I have tried to venture into business with very little success,” she said.

READ ALSO:   Photos of Sarah Wairimu Cohen slaying after being released

Today Mufidha, her children and a few other survivors will converge at the blast site to hold prayers and commemorate those who died.

“Today we shall go to the hotel which has now closed down to hold prayers. It is a ritual I’ll do until I meet him in the next life,” says Mufidha.

Dr Sam Ikwaye, Kenya Association of Hotelkeepers and Caterers (Kahc) Coast branch executive officer, says the events of the fateful day have had a long impact on Kenyan tourism.

Travel advisories

Dr Ikwaye says it is after the Kikambala bombing that key foreign tourists source markets started issuing travel advisories against Mombasa and the Coast region.

“This was the start of a very bad beginning for Kenyan tourism,” Ikwaye said.

He explained the Kikambala bombing marked the first time the industry experienced serious external shocks and has never fully recovered.

“Neighbouring nations too and the world experienced our pain years after we had suffered and today terrorism has been recognised as a threat not just synonmous with Kenya, but the world over,” he said.

Kilifi Senator Stewart Madzayo said it is unfortunate that no compensation was made to those who suffered the brunt of the terror attack.

“Both the national and county governments should be compelled to assist surviving families. This will not take away completely the suffering they have endured but will offer some sort of comfort to those affected,” said Justice (rtd) Madzayo.

by Standardmedia.co.ke


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 2
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Entertainment

‘We had invested…’ Churchill reveals how the pandemic has hit him

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 2
  •  
  •  
  •  

Comedian Churchill says just like any other business, coronavirus has hit him too.

Churchill, real name Daniel Ndambuki has been doing ‘The Journey Series’ on his TV show which is originally a stand-up comedy show that attracts thousands of viewers.

Speaking to Mpasho, Churchill revealed;

“We had invested quite some amount in the production of the show. And now, you can’t use that gear, you have to put all that aside. You cannot set up something so big for like 200 people, that is loss-making. It almost takes us to where we began. We remain positive though”

Adding;

“I am happy with all that is happening from all other comedians.”

Churchill said this after the launch of TuKo App, which he is the brand ambassador.

Churchill Photo By Charlene Malwa

by Mpasho.co.ke


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 2
  •  
  •  
  •  
READ ALSO:   Revealed: Cohen’s widow won’t get a coin of his money
Continue Reading

Special Offer: Own one starting at Ksh 3.7M


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2020 Calendar

September 2019
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending