Connect with us

News

Family found in basement ‘waiting for end of time’

Published

on

Dutch police found a father and six adult children hidden in the basement of a remote farmhouse where they had reportedly spent years “waiting for the end of time”, officials said Tuesday.

They discovered a man, believed to be the father of the family, and his children aged between 18 and 25 near the village of Ruinerwold in the northern province of Drenthe.

Local media said the family were found after one of the sons went to a nearby pub in a confused state, drank five beers and then asked for help, saying he had not been outside for nine years.

Police arrested a 58-year-old man at the scene for failing to cooperate with the investigation, but he was not the father.

“I have never come across anything like this before,” local mayor Roger de Groot told a press conference.

“Police investigated after receiving a tip-off from somebody who was concerned about the people’s living conditions” and discovered the adults, de Groot said.

“They lived an isolated lifestyle,” he said, adding that they had been living on the homestead for the past nine years and several of the children “had not been taken up in the birthing register” or officially registered.

Many questions were unanswered and police are investigating “all scenarios”, the mayor added.

The family meanwhile had been taken to a nearby holiday park while the investigation continued, reports said.

Local news station RTV Drenthe, which first reported the story, said the family “have been living in a basement for years, waiting for the ‘end of times’.”

Some of those freed “had no idea that other people existed,” the station added.

Police were alerted after a man of around 25, believed to be the family’s oldest son, walked into a village bar on Sunday evening.

The dishevelled man, unwashed and wearing old clothes said “he has not been ‘outside’ for the past nine years,” bar owner Chris Westerbeek told RTV Drenthe.

“He said he’d never been to school and seemed very confused. He spoke in a childish way,” said Westerbeek.

The man told Westerbeek he ran away from home and urgently needed help, “so I phoned the police.”

Upon investigation police discovered a hidden staircase behind a cupboard leading to a cellar where a man said to be the family’s father and five others, believed to be his children, were hiding.

Aerial photos showed a remote farmhouse surrounded by fields.

The family had no contact with the outside world and were completely self-reliant with a vegetable garden and a goat, RTV Drenthe said.

“The father had a stroke a few years ago and was lying in bed. There was no sign of his wife,” RTV Drenthe reported.

Neighbours told the station they did not know the family and they only knew that one man lived on the premises.

Police declined to give further details when contacted by AFP.

“All scenarios are being investigated. At this point we cannot give further information,” local police said on Twitter.

BY AFP

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Zari Hassan thanks Diamond Platnumz for newly acquired Bentley

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

South Africa-based socialite Zari Hassan has added another ride to her fleetnof cars.

The mother of five thanked her baby Daddy Diamond Platnumz for making the purchase possible.

Zari shared photos of her new Bentley via her insta-stories and Snapchat and later on put up a short video while cruising in the expensive car with her family.

“Asante Baba Tee (Tiffah0 for the Top Up,” wrote Zari.

The Brooklyn City Colleges CEO boasts of an impressive collection of multi-million cars both in South Africa and Uganda.

In South Africa alone, Zari the Boss Lady’s parking lot constitutes of a Black Mercedes Benz E250, An Audi Q, Range Rover Evoque and her latest purchase Bentley.

Zari bought the Range Rover Evoque back in 2018 and she said;

“Good morning to all. From last year I knew I wanted to buy this car. Been working so hard waking up at 4am at times, even taking gigs I shouldn’t have but I knew every cent will count. I don’t have a sponsor nor am I dating.

“I earned it, I paid it!!!!When am ready I’ll open up to the next person but right now it’s just me and my babies.”

While in Uganda the mother of five owns the following cars; Mercedes Benz Convertible, a Chrysler and a Hummer.

Looking at her car collection it’s not hard to see why Ringtone was barking up the wrong tree with his car gift to Zari in 2018 during her visit to Kenya.

Continue Reading

Immigration News

Hope at last: I can’t wait to hug my daughters

Published

on

You can feel the joy in her voice as she speaks. Joyce Makokha (pictured above)  is elated by news that international flights will resume next month. It means she can finally travel home to be with her daughters whom she has not seen in a long time. Ms Makokha is among Kenyan students who got stranded in India following a ban on international flights put in place to curb spread of coronavirus.

President Kenyatta during his address on Monday said international flights would resume on August 1, under strict adherence to Covid-19 prevention guidelines.

The lifting of the ban, three months later, has excited Kenyans living in India who have been yearning to travel home to reunite with their families.

Makokha, who lives in Coimbatore City, said she couldn’t wait to see her two daughters. She has been stranded since March when India closed its borders and suspended international flights. Makhoka, a student at Tamil Agricultural University and who hails from Bungoma County, said she was to travel back home in May, but could not following the cancellation of flights to Nairobi.

“I won’t miss the August flights; I have missed my two daughters. The government should pay for quarantine for students returning home. It should also have designated facilities for each of the countries students are returning from,” she said.

Law student Felix Makori asked the State to subsidise travel costs to enable Kenyans return home. Mr Makori, who hails from Nyamira County, said most students may not afford the air tickets. “Most students are on private sponsorship and our guardians have exhausted all the resources to sustain our living during the Covid-19 period. We kindly request the government to offer subsidised rates once exams are over so that we can travel back,” the Karnatak University doctorate student said.

Mercy Penina from Mombasa said she has been stranded in India since March and hopes to return in August when flights resume. Ms Penina is a Pharmaceutical Science student at K L University Hyderabad in Telangana. “The president’s announcement is great. I am looking forward to returning home anytime from August,” she said.

Another student, Onsare Anyona from Nairobi, said he has been idle after the Indian government declared a lockdown in March and would have hoped to return to Kenya.

Aurangabad-based Kenyan doctorate communications student Joshua Boit welcomed the president’s move, saying many Kenyans had been caught up by the travel restrictions.

Mr Boit, who is from Kitale, appealed to the State to prioritise the evacuation of Kenyans who were caught up by the travel restrictions when they went to India for treatment and sporting events.

“Kenya Airways should take the lead in flying home Kenyans from abroad. This is the time it should bring ticket prices down, its prices should not be higher than other international airlines. Many of us cannot wait to be back home,” Boit said.

By Standard.co.ke

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Popular Tanzania actress ends 3-year marriage, cites violence

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

Popular Tanzanian actress Zena Yusuf Mohammed, alias Shilole, has opened up about her violence-riddled marriage.

Taking to Instagram, the Shilole, 32, said she has decided to end her 3-year marriage to her husband Uchebe, whom she started dating in 2016.

Shilole has two teenage daughters from her previous relationships.

She gave birth to her first born child, who is now 18 years old, at the age of 14, after an alleged defilement ordeal.

On Wednesday, July 8, she took to Instagram, to allege that she had been a victim of domestic abuse throughout her 3-year marriage to her partner, Uchebe.

The actress’ husband is yet to respond to her claims

“I am writing this with a clear mind and conscience. First, I would like to apologise to my family. I am seeking your forgiveness because I assured you that my marriage was trouble-free, while in reality, it wasn’t peaceful. I have been a victim of domestic violence and other evil acts I cannot speak about on this platform.

“I apologise because every time I heard my fellow women cry for justice after being assaulted by their spouses, I would urge them to voice out their grievances. When I heard that there was a woman from Kigamboni, who had been fatally battered and her body set alight by her husband, I was the first one to say: ‘she should have spoken out about her marital troubles’. I pretended that I was not one of the domestic abuse victims; I distanced myself from the group of women who were victims of domestic violence. Forgive me.

“As an artist, I am a role model to many in the society; I represent women on many fronts. Today, I have decided to break my silence on my marital woes. My husband Ashrafu Sadiki, popularly known as Uchebe, has been battering me too much!

“And, after meting out violence on me, he never calls to show concern or know about my wellbeing. Other people, unknown to me, are the ones who usually nurse me in hospitals after being beaten up by my spouse. In my marriage, there are many other bad things that have been done to me, making my union lack the expected bliss.

“Making matters worse, I am a mother; a parent of children who look up to me as their mother and father. I won’t allow myself to be killed and leave my children motherless, not today!

“I loved Uchebe, I persevered to be with him despite his inadequacies; I gave him everything (my innocence, my wealth, and when he needed a woman to stand by him so that he could get on his feet — financially and socially — I was there for him). I did all that because I knew he and I were together in everything as husband and wife. Despite all that, my sacrifices did not stop him from battering me endlessly, disrespecting and betraying me.

“Two days ago, when I returned home from my livelihood-seeking activities in Dar es Salaam, he seriously beat me up, forgetting that I had gone out there to look for food not only for my children, but also him. Why did he assault me? Because of petty marital conflicts that are present in all marriages. He did not batter me because he had found me cheating on him, or on issues that are hard to solve through dialogue, no. Furthermore, I respect him so much.

“Nonetheless, he saw the best way of solving the small dispute that we had, was through battering me senselessly. I was asleep when he punched me in the face.

“I know there is a section of people who will fault me for bringing to social media my marital woes, however, I would like to tell them that I was left with no other choice but to share my predicaments on this platform. What happens in my life, [being a public figure], should be known by my fans. Many people in the society look up to me as their role model.

“I have had enough [of domestic abuse], and from now henceforth, I would like to state categorically that no one should refer to me as Uchebe’s wife. People should refer to me as ‘that mother who chose to prioritise her children’s welfare and wellbeing at the expense of a toxic relationship’. They should describe me as ‘that woman who chose her happiness and safety [over a violence-ridden marriage].

“My female fans and other women in the society, should use this social media post of mine as a strong message that says ‘we [as women] should speak up when we have been reduced to punching bags and recipients of brutality, because if we don’t, we’ll end up dead someday’.”

Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!