Connect with us

News

Nairobi and Nakuru puncture Ekuru Aukot’s Punguza Mizigo Bill

Published

on

Nairobi and Nakuru County Assemblies on Tuesday joined several other County Assemblies in rejecting the Punguza Mizigo Bill, fronted by Third way Alliance leader Ekuru Aukot.

In Nairobi, Majority leader Abdi Guyo, said the Bill does not have the interests of Nairobi residents at heart and that some of the proposals made by Aukot are not realistic.

“The Bill is against the gains made in the 2010 Constitution especially in relation to gender and marginalized communities,” said Guyo.

While opposing the motion Deputy Minority Whip Moses Ogeto also a member of the County’s Justice and Legal committee said the proposals made in the Bill were rejected by city residents during public the participation stage.

“During public participation Nairobi residents made it clear that they don’t want it and as the people’s representatives we have rejected it,” said Ogeto who represents Kilimani Ward.

Majority leader Abdi Guyo stresses a point during Tuesaday’s debate. /CFM.

In Nakuru, members of the county assembly debated and adopted a Legal and Justice Committee report that was tabled by Viwandani Ward MCA Erick Gichuki Kariuki who is the committee chair.

The Committee while tabling the report that recommended the disapproval of the Punguza Mizigo bill argued that the Bill has double standards in most of the clauses.

READ ALSO:   How Aukot outwitted Uhuru, Ruto and Raila on referendum

“The Bill proposes that if you are mentioned by any inquiry body then you will not be eligible to contest any seat. That is like giving the auditor general the power of the DCI and therefore this is a draft bill that is double standards” said Gichuki.

However, Elburgon Ward MCA Njuguna Mwaura and his Lakeview Ward counterpart Peter Karanja Mburu supported the Bill, arguing that it addresses the overrepresentations in the county assembly and the National assembly.

Back to Nairobi, acting speaker Chege Mwaura had given the legal committee powers to oversee the public participation exercise and table a report for the MCAs to debate.

The members who unanimously rejected it, argued that the Bill lacks inclusivity and that it does not align itself to the two- thirds gender rule which is a key proponent of the constitution.

Some of the proposals in the Bill includes setting wards as the primary unit of development, reduce the number of MPs from 416 to 147 and have a single seven-year presidential term among other radical proposals.

So far, Aukot’s bill has been rejected by at least seven county assemblies including; West Pokot, Nyamira, Siaya, Kiambu, Kirinyaga, Murang’a, Kisii, with Uasin Gishu being the only county Assembly which passed it.

READ ALSO:   How Aukot outwitted Uhuru, Ruto and Raila on referendum

The timeline for debating the Bill in at least 24 counties is set to expire on October 15.

The County Assemblies Forum last month called for the suspension of debate on the Bill in all county assemblies to allow for public participation.

County Assemblies Forum (CAF) Secretary-General Kipkurui Chepkwony said they are scheduled to meet on October 11 to take a common position on the Bill.

By Capital FM

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Grieving husband of train worker who died after being spat at reacts as police drop case

Published

on

The grieving husband of railway worker who died from coronavirus after being spat at has spoken of his sadness after find out police will take no further action.

Belly Mujinga, 47, was with a colleague on the concourse of London’s Victoria Station when a man who said he was infected with Covid-19 spat at them.

Both women fell ill with the virus within days of the attack on March 22, and Ms Mujinga died in hospital in Barnet on April 5 – leaving a widower and an 11-year-old daughter called Ingrid.

Today British Transport Police (BTP) said detectives had conducted extensive inquiries and concluded her death was not linked to her being spat.

Detectives had reviewed CCTV, spoke to witnesses and interviewed a 57-year-old man who will face no further action.

Lusamba has spoken of his sadness (Image: PHILIP COBURN)

Heartbroken Lusamba Gode Katalay, told the PA news agency: “The police came and told me the CCTV does not prove anything.

“I do not know how strong I am to hear that. It is very sad for us.”

Asked whether he felt he would be able to get justice for his wife, Mr Katalay said: “I need to speak more with my family first.”

In a statement, BTP said: “On 11 May, it was reported to BTP that a 47-year-old lady, Belly Mujinga, had been spat and coughed at while working in the ticket hall with two colleagues on 21 March.

READ ALSO:   How Aukot outwitted Uhuru, Ruto and Raila on referendum
The 47-year-old died on April 5 (Image: PHILIP COBURN)

“Following a review of all the information, senior detectives have concluded that there is no evidence to substantiate any criminal offences having taken place, and that the tragic death of Belly Mujinga was not a consequence of this incident.

“As a result, the matter will not be referred to the Crown Prosecution Service.”

Detective Chief Inspector Sam Blackburn said: “I know the loss of Belly has moved so many people, and I can assure you we have done everything we can to provide answers for her family.

“As a result of our inquiries, we can now be confident that this incident did not lead to Belly’s tragic death.”

Belly with her daughter Ingrid (Image: PA)

Angie Doll, managing director of Southern Railway and Gatwick Express, said: “While we note the BTP’s conclusions, this does not detract from the tragic loss of our colleague.”

Manuel Cortes, general secretary of the Transport Salaried Staffs Association, of which Belly was a member, said: “We are pleased that the British Transport Police investigated this incident as it sends a very strong message that abuse and attacks directed at transport workers are always unacceptable.

“What is clear is that protective equipment is absolutely vital to protect frontline workers like Belly. All transport workers on the front line should have access to masks, visors, hand sanitiser and other protective equipment.”

READ ALSO:   How Aukot outwitted Uhuru, Ruto and Raila on referendum

Last week Mr Katalay said his wife’s death had “destroyed the whole world for him and his daughter”.

The grieving dad with his daughter Ingrid (Image: PHILIP COBURN)

The 60-year-old spoke out after the Home Secretary Priti Patel pledged to double the maximum common assault jail sentence to 12 months for anyone who spits at a key worker.

Recalling her final days he said his wife of five years begged him not to allow Ingrid to see her in her hospital bed during a video call which was to be their last.

“She told me that she didn’t want Ingrid to see her like that. She said, ‘Pray for me’,” he said.

The former BBC journalist was on medication and had respiratory problems following surgery four years ago so when she told her doctor what had happened to her a few days later she was advised to self-isolate at home for three months because she was vulnerable.

When she started becoming unwell she took paracetamol before switching to oxygen but after her condition failed to improve she called an ambulance.

Her elderly mum was stuck in the African Democratic Republic of Congo, where the couple are both from, unable to say a final goodbye to her daughter.

A fundraising page for Ms Mujinga’s family has seen more than £43,000 pledged.

READ ALSO:   How Aukot outwitted Uhuru, Ruto and Raila on referendum

By Mirror.co.uk

Continue Reading

News

Police hunt for couple in death of man during fight

Published

on

Police in Trans-Nzoia have launched a manhunt for a couple allegedly behind the death of a man who had gone to separate them during a fight.

The 23-year-old man identified as Kennedy Nyikuri Simiyu, who sustained serious stab wounds on his left hip and back, died 15 metres from the scene.

According to the village elder,Julia Mumbi, the couple was physically fighting at around 10pm on Wednesday and Simiyu being their neighbour, went to intervene when he met his untimely death.

Neighbours say the two took off immediately after the fatal incident.

Trans Nzoia County police boss Ayub Ali said officers are hunting for suspects to face justice.

“We are looking for the two individuals whom we believe are hiding somewhere but soon they will be caught by arm of law,” said Ali.

The body of the victim was removed to Kitale County Referral Hospital mortuary.

By Nation.co.ke

READ ALSO:   How Aukot outwitted Uhuru, Ruto and Raila on referendum
Continue Reading

News

Linus Kaikai set to leave Citizen TV and join KTN, Again -Sources

Published

on

One of Kenya’s leading media personality, Linus Kaikai, who joined Citizen TV in 2018 from NTV has reached a deal to rejoin KTN after 11 years since he left, according to very reliable sources.

Kaikai left KTN in 2009 where he served as Managing Editor in charge of Quality and Product Development to join NTV as its head.

He left NTV in February 2018 after a protracted battle with Nation Media Group’s top management over handling of the mock swearing-in of NASA leader Raila Odinga.

It is not yet clear what position he is destined for at KTN, but his arrival will rock the boat. First he will have to take up someone’s job, if not powers, and retune the KTN team, which is emerging from a bruising talent war that forced it to build a new team of anchors from scratch.

Elsewhere, another shake-up of the television industry is looming, as high ranking editors are expected to change positions. According to information, the latest changes will affect Citizen TV, KTN and K24.

Already, at K24, Peter Opondo, who has been overseeing TV and radio, has left. Mr Opondo is reportedly headed back to Royal Media Services, which runs Citizen TV, two years after joining Mediamax.

READ ALSO:   How Aukot outwitted Uhuru, Ruto and Raila on referendum

RMS has been feeling the financial pains of maintaining a star-studded team, which blows millions of shillings every month in salaries and allowances. The stars at RMS include Jeff Koinange, Linus Kaikai, Joy Ageyo, Victoria Rubadiri and Yvonne Okwaro, among others, all poached from rival stations few years ago.

According to Business Today, word has it that RMS Editorial Director Joy Ageyo may have to give way for Opondo in the new scheme of things. It will be interesting how things work out or if, as it’s being rumoured, Ageyo will quit.

KTN editorial department is currently headed by Ellen Wanjiru as Managing Editor for broadcast, while Joe Munene is the managing director.

Business Today reports that Kaikai, who could take up either of these positions or get one created for him, could move with the News Gang programme which he initiated at Citizen TV.

KTN recently surprised many when it signed a partnership deal with  its rival,K24, on news and programming.

 

Continue Reading


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!