Connect with us

News

WATCH: Mariga struggles to answer questions from journalists

Published

on

McDonald Mariga appears to be encountering challenges in his bid to transition from a star footballer to a politician.

On Sunday, the former Harambee Stars player appeared to struggle to respond to questions from journalists while on the campaign trail.

Mariga had organised a football tournament involving the local teams and took that opportunity to push for his sports agenda in the event he is elected to office to succeed the late Ken Okoth on November 7.

It took the intervention of Langata lawmaker Nixon Korir to help the former Inter Milan midfielder to respond to a question from NTV journalist Seth Olale on live TV.

Seth Olale: Mariga, it is just three weeks to the by-election, so far, in terms of your strategy, is it working for you? And in terms of some of the issues raised by your campaign team in terms of security, have they been addressed? And so far how is the ground in Kibra?

Mariga (responds in Swahili): Ground iko poa but today ilikuwa mambo ya sports sitaki kuongelea mambo mingi. Nataka tulaunch sports Kibra, na tu-nurture talents. (The ground is okay, but we are focusing on sports today, my aim is to nurture talent).

At this point Koriri interjects and continues answering the question, despite indications from the journalists present that Mariga should field the questions.

READ ALSO:   Kibra poll: Mariga to compete for Jubilee ticket

Korir: Generally, we are doing well… you know where the violence is coming from. We are not a violent group. You can see right now all the players that are playing today are from different political parties but we’ve been unified today by football.

ODM’s Bernard ‘Imran’ Okoth, Eluid Owalo of ANC and Khamisi Butichi of Ford-Kenya alongside Mariga considered front runners in the Kibra race which has attracted a total of 26 contestants.

by Nairobi News

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Standard Group journalist’s daughter scores 439 marks to top in KCPE

Published

on

Standard Group journalist Jonathan Komen’s daughter, June Cheptoo Koech, is the second-best overall student in the 2019 Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE).

June scored 439 marks out of 500 marks and was among the three candidates; Flavian Koech and Sean Michael who tied in the second position nationally. The top student this year, Michael Munyiri, scored 440 marks.

Reacting to the news, her father Komen, who has been christened The Lion by colleagues in the newsroom, said that in Cheptoo, a real lioness had been born.“They call me the lion in the newsroom, well, today I want to announce that a real lioness has been found,” said Komen.

Cheptoo sat her examination at Sangalo Central Primary in Nandi County, a public school.

Speaking to Standard Digital on phone, Komen described her daughter as an avid reader with a cool head, adding that her performance did not surprise the family having scored 446 marks in the final mock examinations.

Komen, a household name among sports journalists in the country courtesy of his nice sports stories has made the headlines, not because of an eye-catching story, but because his daughter is among the best in the country this year.

BY Standard

READ ALSO:   DP Ruto’s wife Rachel anoints McDonald Mariga at Karen altar
Continue Reading

News

Embakasi West MP George Theuri in mourning

Published

on

Embakasi West Member of Parliament George Theuri is mourning the death of his father Mzee Theuri.

Mzee Theuri passed on Monday morning.

The MP took to his social media accounts to mourn the death of his father.

“My family mourn, I can’t believe Dad you are gone; RIP Dad I celebrate you, my hero. I may try to look strong on the outside, but I am so broken,” Theuri wrote on Facebook.

His followers took the opportunity to send in their messages of condolences to the legislator.

“God gives and he takes. May he rest well,” Hon Simon Mbugua posted.

“May God comfort you and your family and may he RIP. I am sure the way you treated him per your other posts on here made his last days on earth really bright,” Grace Preety Wa Wachira commented.

“Pole sana Mheshimiwa, may God give you the strength you need at this difficult moment,” Catherine Mukunyi wrote.

“Sincere condolences bwana mheshimiwa may his soul rest in peace. It is well,” Ednah Kamau said.

“My sincere condolences to you and your family may God comfort you,” commented Berniece Mugoh.

“So sorry for the loss. May God give you and the entire family strength, peace, and grace that surpasses human understanding during this difficult time,” posted Eunice Wanjiru.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Ruto's silence is deafening as IEBC announces Imran Okoth the winner of "Raila's Bedroom" Kibra by-election

“My condolences to you and your family. May the Lord comfort you as only he can. May he rest in peace,” Salome Thuo mentioned.

by NN

Continue Reading

News

More arrests loom over Syombua, children’s killings

Published

on

More arrests are expected following the killing of the estranged wife of a soldier and her two children as homicide detectives and forensic experts from the Directorate of Criminal Investigation headquarters pitched camp on Sunday at the Laikipia Airbase in Nanyuki.

Following discovery of the bodies at a public cemetery on Saturday evening, detectives are now pursuing leads that the main suspect, Major Peter Mwaura, had accomplices in the killings.

After searching his house for several hours on Saturday, police now believe the murders were committed inside the army barracks. And now, detectives are trying to piece together how the soldier managed to sneak the three bodies out of the military facility undetected.

Sources within the police department revealed that preliminary findings have placed the possible murder scene inside the Laikipia Airbase leading investigators to suspect Major Mwaura had help from inside.

“It looks like he did it from inside the barracks definitely. Maybe he was helped by someone from within,” an officer who requested anonymity due to the sensitivity of the case told the Nation.

Already, the Nation has learned that police have placed in custody and questioned two more people believed to have been involved in the murder and cover up.

READ ALSO:   Ruto blasts Shebesh

A taxi operator who is yet to be identified is said to have told police in his statement that Major Mwaura sent him to purchase three gunny bags around the time the family disappeared. On Saturday, the three bodies found at Thingithu were stuffed in gunny bags.

At the same time, police reports also suggest that a casual worker at the military base identified as Collins Pamba has also been placed in custody in connection with the killings.

Mr Pamba is said to have helped the army man bury the bodies at the public cemetery where the government disposes unclaimed bodies.

Joyce Syombua, 31, and her two children, Shanice Maua, 10 and five-year-old Prince Michael, were reported missing on October 27 after spending two days at Major Mwaura’s home.

Ms Joyce Syombua (left) and her children Shanice Maua and Prince Michael, who have been missing since October 26. Her estranged husband on November 16, 2019 led police to three bodies dumped in a shallow grave at a cemetery in Nanyuki. PHOTO | POOL | NATION MEDIA GROUP

They had arrived at the Laikipia Airbase Barracks on October 25 where they were staying with the army man.

While police are trying to piece up the timeline of the murders, it has been reported that the suspect left the house with the children a day after they arrived at the base.

READ ALSO:   Mariga is married! Family not happy with Joey Muthengi always joking about dating him

Syombua had apparently gone to fresh up, but afterwards found out that Major Mwaura had taken the children for a walk within the military base.

When he returned, the military officer reportedly claimed he had left the two children with a friend as he wanted to have a private conversation with his estranged wife.

But in his statement to detectives, Major Mwaura did not give finer details of what transpired on that morning.

As investigations into their disappearance took off, he told police that he took Syombua and their two children to Nanyuki bus terminus where they boarded a matatu under 4NTE Sacco.

The trio, however, never arrived at their home in Kayole, Nairobi, raising suspicion over their safety. A missing person report was initially made at the Soweto Police Station and the same relayed to Nanyuki Police Station, prompting investigations into the disappearance.

The discovery of her cellphone inside one of the matatus would later open a can of worms into what is turning out to be a brutal triple homicide and a well calculated cover up.

Major Mwaura is expected to be arraigned on Monday.

by nation.co.ke

Continue Reading


Are you looking for a Church to fellowship in Atlanta Metro Area?

poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!