Connect with us


KDF officer arrested over murder of wife, children



Three bodies believed to be of the estranged wife of a military officer and their two children who disappeared three weeks ago were Saturday evening found buried in a shallow grave at Thingithu Estate in Nanyuki.

Detectives from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) and Military Police found the bodies after being led to the scene by the military man who is the main suspect in the suspected triple homicide. Major Peter Mwaura of Laikipia Airbase in Nanyuki was arrested on Thursday by military police and handed over to the DCI.

After more than 24 hours of grilling at Nanyuki Police Station and at his house inside the army barracks, the suspect led police to an abandoned cemetery in Thingithu Estate, barely a kilometre from the army base.

Still in a combat t-shirt, the army man led a team from the DCI and KDF officers to the spot the three bodies were buried.

After about 30 minutes of analysis and digging, police found three gunny bags in containing decomposing bodies which were tied up using plastic ropes inside the shallow grave.

All this time the suspect sat in the unmarked DCI vehicle, constantly trying to catch a glimpse of the discovery and hiding his face from cameras and the curious crowd.

Laikipia County Criminal Investigations Officer Peter Muinde declined to confirm if the bodies found were of the missing woman and her two children.

“We still have to do some more forensic tests to identify the bodies. A source led us to the scene and we are working to confirm if the bodies are of the missing woman and the two children,” Mr Muinde said.

Joyce Syombua, 31, and her children Shanice Maua, 10 and Prince Michael, 5 were reported missing on October 27 after spending two days at Major Mwaura’s home. They had arrived at the Laikipia barracks on October 25.

Ms Farizana Syombua, a relative of the missing woman told the Nation that she texted her to enquire about their journey to Nanyuki and she replied that all was well.

In a text message, Syombua informed Ms Farizana that Mr Mwaura had taken the children for a walk within the military base.

Mr Mwaura claimed that he had left the children with a friend because he wanted to have a private conversation with his estranged wife.

He had initially told the police that Ms Syombua left for Nairobi with the children in a matatu. He claimed that he released his family back to the base after being called in to work urgently.

He alleged that he took Syombua and the children to Nanyuki bus terminus where they boarded a 4NTE Sacco matatu to Nairobi.

The trio however never arrived at their home in Kayole, Nairobi, raising suspicion over their safety.

A report was initially made at Soweto and Nanyuki Police stations, prompting investigations into their disappearance of the three.

The discovery of her mobile phone inside a matatu would later open a can of worms into what is turning out to be a brutal triple homicide and a well calculated cover up.

Detectives would later discover that the matatu in which the phone was found never made a trip to Nairobi after all.

Officials from the sacco told police that the matatu had been hired for a private function in the Rift Valley on October 28 and did not make a trip to Nairobi as claimed by Major Mwaura.

A statement from a classified witness would later give the police the biggest lead. The witness told the police that the army officer had sent him to buy three gunny bags.

Major Mwaura was arrested on Thursday by Military Police before he was handed over to the DCI. The suspect will be arraigned on Monday.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


My daughter’s political baptism by fire



Marita Agufana was going through her day’s work when she received a call from her cousin. She was informed of a vacancy on the post of a County Executive Committee [CEC] in Vihiga County. GovernorWilber

Ottichilo felt that the team he had selected pre-viously had not observed the two third gender rule .

and opted to look woman. This was year 2017 soon after the -General Elections. When Lydia Owano, Marita’s mother heard l of her daughter’s plans to apply for | vacant post of CEC, j she encouraged her. | Being a staunch C tian, she also prayed I about it.

Marita quickly a and did a phone in view with the who was impress her. He proceeded to forward her name to L the county assembly for vetting. For two hours, in front of observers from different parts of the county, Marita had to prove she was worth for the post.

“She didn’t grow up in Vihiga, so the vetting was a bit tough for her. She was asked a lot of questions, some meant to determine her competency and skills,” Lydia reveals.

Marita Agufana

Stranger in the house
She finally got the job to serve as the CEC in Education, Science, Technical and Vocational training.

People have different perceptions when it comes to political appointments. Most of the time, people who have held these positions supported the governor in one way or another during campaigns. But for her, it was different as she saw her governor for the first time on the day she was being sworn in. Lydia was proud that her daughter became a waziri.

“She had never voted nor campaigned for governor Ottichilo because she had registered as a voter in Nairobi. He just saw that she was fit for the job and chose her. I say it’s just the favour of God,” Lydia says.

Later on, Marita was moved to be in charge of Environment, Water, Energy and Natural Resources. Her role involves looking at policy direction of the ministry and give direction, problem solve and help in making decisions.

As per the constitution, she was in charge of management and general administration of the department [Ministry].

Marita’s first days were tough and rough, a baptism by fire into politics. There was a lot of expectations with people visiting her office to request for school fees, money for funeral, and others seeking for solutions for

their issues. There were also negative comments on why she was chosen and not others. She has since learnt to ignore negativity, focus on her job and let her work speak for her.

The fact that she never grew up in Vihiga and didn’t understand the Maragoli language though she’s Luhya, made things difficult for her.

Rumours everywhere
“Residents said they had no idea who my daughter was. She was lashed at forums. She was insulted. Others had a lot of expectation. Being her first time in public service, she was lost,” recalls Lydiah.

“It’s hard being a young woman in politics. Bloggers spread false claims day and night about my daughter— how she slept with the governor to get the job, how her family blackmailed the governor for the top position, how she had a miscarriage and governor was blackmailed to cover it up. It is sad how people can craft your story and make it believable,” she laments.

Lydia recalls how such accusations not only broke her heart, but her family. But she braved on and encouraged her daughter to continue serving the people of Vihiga.

Born in Kijabe, Kiambu county 31 years ago, Marita grew up in different places. Her early years were spent in Baringo, Marigat where her dad was working for Kenya Agricultural Research Institute (kARI]. Sadly, in the year 1992, their lives took a different turn when she lost her father in a grisly road accident. Still young, her mother went back to school [medical school] and advanced her studies to earn more money to cater for her two children.

At this point, Marita lived with her aunt and enrolled in Musoli Girl’s Primary School in Kakamega county in 1993.

Hard worker

They moved to Kakamega in 1996 and in 1997, she joined St Joseph’s Primary School then moved to Star Academy the same year.

Lydia had remarried and Marita’s step dad desired that all the children from both families be in one school. Marita is still the last born in this blended home. By 1998, her mother had completed studying clinical medicine and was posted to Kakamega. In 2003, Marita was admitted to Butere Girls High School.

“After her secondary education, Marita was conflicted as she desired to do a tourism course in United States International University [USIU], but she pursued Integrated Development Studies at Daystar University,” Lydia recalls. She worked in various non-governmental organisations [NGOs] from 2014 to 2016 and particularly dealt with young people in the slums.

By the time she was being appointed as the CEC, she had already enrolled for her Master’s in Diplomacy, Development and International Security at Daystar University in 2017.

After three years as CEC, Marita is proud of the fact that she has managed to build early childhood development classes, equipped Vocational Training Centres, manage garbage and waste collection as well as produce legislations that have been considered by the assembly for implementation.


• Marita Agufana was born in Kiambu, but grew up in Baringo and Kakamega counties.

• Unlike many who get appointed to county executive committee positions after supporting and campaigning for respective governors, Marita saw Governor Wilber Ottichilo during her swearing in.

• She voted in Nairobi, not Vihiga.
• She didn’t understand Maragoli language despite being a Luhya.


Continue Reading


Man charged in court for running car wash business under electricity cables



A man has been charged with encroachment into public land for operating a car wash business under high voltage electricity transmission lines in Upper Hill, Nairobi.

Samuel Ocharo Mogaka has been accused of unlawfully and willingly encroaching on and erecting a car wash area, a garage and a food outlet tent in an area set aside for an energy infrastructure project.

The land is allocated for – high transmission 11KV commercial electricity line which is under the Kenya Power Company.

The Kibera Law Courts was told how Kenya Power Company security officials and technicians on patrol discovered the cables dangerously hanging over the tents. Mogaka could not prove having obtained consent to put up the structures and was arrested.

He denied the charges before Senior Resident Magistrate Charles Mwaniki and pleaded for leniency claiming his wife is sickly and he is his family’s sole breadwinner.

He also claimed his children slept hungry after he was arrested.

The accused was freed on Sh10,000 cash bail with mentioning date of the case set for August 25, 2020.


Continue Reading


Woman fined Sh50,000 & six months in prison for insulting lover’s wife



A woman has been fined Sh50,000 for insulting his lover’s wife and provoking her to a fight while drunk.

In default, Saida Mohamed Amin, the convict, will spend six months in prison.

Senior resident magistrate Charles Mwaniki of Kibera law courts handed the sentence to her after she pleaded guilty to charges of offensive conduct.

She admitted that she visited Kush Apartments in Parklands on Sunday where the complainant Salima Mohammed Ismail resides while drinking alcohol from glass and used abusive words her.

Saida told Salima that they are co-wives and hurled insults at her but in courts, said she was not in her right senses at the time.

She pleaded for leniency claiming that she is jobless and a single mother of two.

The convict claimed she has a debt with her landlord as she has not paid rent for months and pleaded to be forgiven.

She was given 14 days to appeal the sentence.


Continue Reading

Powered by

Current Time in Alexandria
Fri, August 7


Like us on Facebook, stay informed


2020 Calendar

November 2019


error: Content is protected !!