Connect with us

News

Kenya returns stolen luxury cars to UK

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Kenya has re-shipped to the United Kingdom four high-end vehicles believed to have been stolen and brought into the country in April.

The black Range Rover Vogue Autobiography, white Mercedes Benz GLE and two black Range Rover Sports Autobiography were on Friday loaded onto a truck and transported to a vessel ready for shipment to the UK.

The vehicles estimated to be worth more than Sh40 million were stolen from Berkshire, London and Oxfordshire between November 11, 2018 and February 7.

A security team drawn from the DCI, the International Criminal Police Organization (Interpol) and the UK’s National Crime Agency led the crackdown that led to seizure of the cars.

The team worked with the British High Commission in Kenya.

British High Commissioner to Kenya, Nic Hailey, said the UK was actively involved in monitoring, coordinating and liaising with the KRA to support re-shipment of the vehicles.

Mr Waqar Qureshi, who represented Mr Hailey, said the owners of the stolen vehicles filed reports in the UK.

“I am extremely grateful to out Kenyan partners whose continued efforts are acting as a deterrent to organised crime networks both in East Africa and the UK,” he said.

“We will continue to work closely with our Kenyan partners to combat serious organised crime which impacts on both the Kenyan and the British public.”

Employees of the Kenya Revenue Authority and the Kenya Ports Authority Workers oversee re-shipping of four high-end vehicles stolen from the United Kingdom at the Port of Mombasa on November 1, 2019. PHOTO | KEVIN ODIT | NATION MEDIA GROUP

The Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA), Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) and the Kenya Ports Authority KPA) attributed the interception to information and intelligence shared by Kenyan agencies and their international law enforcement partners.

The government agencies said that between March and September, up to 21 high-end vehicles, valued at more than Sh130 million, that were stolen from the UK were intercepted at the port of Mombasa.

“The vehicles had been shipped at ports in the UK and Belgium,” the agencies said in a statement read by Dr Terra Saidimu, KRA’s acting Commissioner of Intelligence and Strategic Operations.

“According to the manifest, all the 21 vehicles were intended for transit through Kenya and arrival at other destinations in East Africa.”

In June, two high-end vehicles that had been stolen and shipped into the country were returned to the UK.

The agencies termed the seizures and the reshipment of the vehicles a success against illicit trade.

They said the government has sent a strong message to criminal networks in East Africa and beyond that the port of Mombasa will not be used as a conduit for illicit trade.

The seizures, the agencies also noted, are the fruits of the campaign launched in 2018 to fight illicit trade and disrupt an international criminal syndicate that smuggles through the Mombasa port and sells the cars across East Africa.

“[The operation] included heightening surveillance and enforcement measures at all ports of entry and exit. Since then, various government agencies have participated in joint operations to seize illicit goods including counterfeits, sub-standard and smuggled goods,” read the statement.

“We are going beyond the quest for revenue and heeding President Uhuru Kenyatta’s call to root out illicit trade and safeguard a level playing field for legitimate businesses. We cannot afford to provide safe passage for stolen vehicles into the East African market.”

The agencies added that Kenyan and British authorities will work together to ensure stolen vehicles illegally smuggled into the country are returned to their countries of origin.

Waqar Qureshi, the First Secretary for the British High Commission, KPA’s Managing Director Daniel Manduku, KRA’s Southern Region Coordinator Nicholas Kinoti and KRA’s acting Commissioner for Intelligence and Strategic Operations Terra Saidimu oversee re-shipping of stolen vehicles to the UK on November 2019. PHOTO | KEVIN ODIT | NATION MEDIA GROUP

KPA’s Managing Director Daniel Manduku reiterated that the port will not be used as a channel for smuggling.

Dr Saidimu added that rooting out the illicit business will pave the way for the motor vehicle industry to thrive since the government is revamping the sector to promote Kenya as a vehicle-manufacturing hub in the region.

“KRA, DCI and KPA will continue to work together and collaborate with international partners in detecting, disrupting and deterring all forms of illicit trade at the port,” he said.

KRA Deputy Commissioner for the Southern Region, Nicholas Kinoti, said no suspect had been arrested in connection to the seizure but that the investigation was ongoing.

by nation.co.ke


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Lifestyle

Shock as woman chops off one-year-old son’s private parts

Published

on

Crime Scene Tape
Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

A one-year-old boy is nursing serious injuries at the Kijabe Mission Hospital where he was admitted after his private parts were allegedly chopped off by his mother.

The boy’s aunt told the Nation that his mother, Winnie Mutheu, fled after committing the act on Thursday.

The aunt explained that as the boy’s father prepared to leave for work that morning, he heard loud, persistent cries from his son and got concerned.

“He asked his wife why their son was crying and she answered that the boy had broken his leg while playing with other children outside the house. My brother then decided to examine his son, only to find no injuries on either of his legs.”

“He went on to remove his son’s clothes and discovered that he had been physically abused,” the aunt said.

Gone into hiding

The couple has lived together for five years and are blessed with two children. There were no reports of conflict between the two when the boy was assaulted.

“The child is still in hospital in critical condition,” the aunt said.

Tigoni Sub County Police Commander Mwaniki Ireri said a manhunt for the woman has been launched.

“The case was officially reported yesterday by the boy’s father. We are pursuing the mother, and we are confident that we shall find her,” said Mr Ireri.

Efforts to get a comment from Kijabe hospital were futile as our calls and text messages went unanswered.

Bizarre as it may sound, cases of women chopping off their sons’ private parts are not new. In May 2018, a Chinese woman cut off her son’s penis just to get back at her husband’s family.

The boy’s manhood was saved by a quick phalloplasty surgery (penis reconstruction operation).

by nation.africa


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Courts

Four children fight claims they were disowned by late MP

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Four children of former Keiyo North MP William Murgor yesterday fought allegations that they had been disowned by their father before his death.

While testifying before the High Court in Eldoret, Ambrose Kiplagat Murgor, one of the four children said to have been born out of wedlock, told the court their father never disowned him or any of his three siblings.

While being cross-examined before Justice Hellen Omondi, Mr Kiplagat said he was a biological child of the late MP, adding that the contrary claims were only made to lock him and his siblings out of the MP’s vast estate.

“My late father never disowned me or my siblings,” Kiplagat told the court.

He said he was born in 1970 at Murgor’s Kaptagat farm before they moved in 1976 to Chesigot farm in Elgeyo Marakwet County.

The four – Kiplagat, Oscar Murgor, Sharon Murgor and Faith Murgor – who are children of the former MP’s fourth wife Anna Kimoi, have told the court they were brought up with the other children.

“We were raised together with the other siblings from the different houses. I was in school with my two brothers, Collins and Kenneth, in the same primary school, all along living as brothers,” he added.

He told the court that he did not know the reasons as to why he and his brother Oscar did not get a share of their father’s farms like rest of his siblings.

Kiplagat added that his elder sister Enid Cheptanui filed the case against her step-brother Francis Murgor, Chemutai Murgor and Keiyo North MP Dr James Murgor for excluding them in the distribution of the Sh1.4 billion family estate.

While testifying in the succession dispute, James denied knowing Kiplagat and his three siblings Oscar, Sheila and Faith Murgor.

While James claimed to have only been familiar with them for a few years, Kiplagat on the other hand told the court the MP was well known to him and that he had even campaigned for him.

“I campaigned for him in three elections, and he always introduced me as his brother. When my mother was sick, I was in contact with the MP, who even helped in paying the hospital bill,”

by Stanardmedia.co.ke


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Mukhisa Kituyi: Why I think I can be a good President

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

He is considered one of Kenya’s finest brains and has held several high positions both locally and internationally.

Currently serving as the Secretary-General of the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), Dr Mukhisa Kituyi’s decorated CV is impeccable.

In an interview with a local TV station on Wednesday, Kituyi spoke of his desire to occupy Kenya’s top seat, saying rising from adversity during his childhood days is a huge motivation.

“As I have gone to 119 countries around the world, I am constantly asking myself what they are doing better than us that makes them shine.

“I feel my body still has the energy…my head still has the intellectual capacity to make that contribution in a practical way…” he said.

Adding: “I have a sense of shared empathy with the vulnerable, not only a desire to give hope to the hopeless but a burning ambition that through enterprise Kenya, I can be part of the solutions to build Kenya for the next generation.”

Kituyi said once he leaves his position at the UN he will share his ideas with Kenyans and he strongly believes he will be the right person for the job.

“In the increasingly likely case that I will be offering candidature for President of this country after I leave my position with the UN, I think I will give the Kenyan population reason why I think I will be the right person for that job.

“I cannot do it while I am still winding down my international obligations but I think I am the face of a set of Kenyans who believe in purposeful Kenya,” he said.

Responding to those who claim he is not in touch with the realities on the ground due to extensive travel, Kituyi said he believes in constant learning and does not have all the answers but wants to be part of a team that will engage in structured positive conversations.

Mukhisa has also had stints in the political arena having been elected to the Kenyan Parliament for the first time in 1992 on a Ford-Kenya ticket and was re-elected in 1997 and 2002 as Kimilili MP.

He was also Kenya’s Minister of Trade and Industry from 2002 to 2007. During this period, Kituyi chaired the Council of Ministers of the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) and the African Trade Ministers’ Council for two years.

He also served as chairman of the Council of Ministers of the African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) Group of States, and was the lead negotiator for Eastern and Southern African ministers during the European Union-ACP Economic Partnership Agreement negotiations.

He was convenor of the agriculture negotiations carried out at the World Trade Organization’s Sixth Ministerial Conference held in Hong Kong, China in 2005.

From 2008 to 2012, Kituyi was a member of a team of experts advising the presidents of the nations of the East African Community on how to establish more effective regional economic links.

From 2011 to 2012, he was a consultant for the African Union Commission, where he helped to develop the structure for a pan-African free trade area.

Immediately before becoming UNCTAD Secretary-General, Kituyi was Chief Executive of the Kenya Institute of Governance based in Nairobi.

by Standardmedia.co.ke


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Special Offer: Own one starting at Ksh 3.7M


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2020 Calendar

November 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending