Connect with us

News

Soldier held as lover, two children yet to be found

Published

on

A military officer has been arrested following the disappearance of his estranged lover and two children.

Maj Peter Mugure, who is based at Nanyuki’s Laikipia Airbase, was arrested yesterday evening after spending the entire day at Nanyuki Police Station and recording three statements.

“We will take him to court on Monday and seek more time to detain him for further interrogations and investigations,” said Laikipia East Criminal Investigations Officer Jacob Muriithi.

Muriithi’s estranged lover Joyce Syombua, 31, and their two children Shanice (10) and Prince Michael (5) disappeared three weeks ago when they went to visit him in Nanyuki.Almost a month since the visit, Syombua’s mother Maua Malombe and the family are painstakingly still searching for her and the children.

It all started on Friday, October 25 when the three started their journey from Nairobi’s Kayole Estate where they lived.The visit was at the request of Mugure, Syombua’s partner of 13 years.

Mrs Malombe says the relationship between the two had been on and off.

“Peter requested that he needed to spend time with the children after schools closed. He sent Joyce fare and they were excited when they left for Nanyuki,” says Mrs Malombe.

Several hours later, Syombua texted her that they had arrived safely. She was also in communication with her childhood friend and namesake, Syombua Kateng’u, who she texted at 11pm.

READ ALSO:   Murder most foul: Soldier was ordered to support his 2 children

At 8am the following day, Syombua texted her friend again.

“In the text message she told me that when she came from the bathroom, she did not find Peter and the children.

She also told me when she called him, he said he was taking them on a tour of the facility and would be back,” Ms Kateng’u says.

After a few hours, Syombua texted Kateng’u that Mugure was back, but without the children.

“When she asked him the whereabouts of the children, he said he had left them at a friend’s house because they needed privacy to iron out their differences,” narrates Kateng’u.

Journey to the unknown

At 7pm, Kateng’u called Syombua who told her the children were yet to return and that Mugure had stepped out.

She called her again after some time but her phone was off. That was the last time the family and friends heard from Syombua and her children.

Kateng’u says the same night, she called Mugure – whose number she had been given by Syombua.

He informed her that he had escorted Joyce and her children to board a matatu back to Nairobi that night.But the three did not arrive back to their house in Kayole, throwing the family into panic.

READ ALSO:   More arrests loom over Syombua, children's killings

Mrs Malombe reported a case of missing relatives at Soweto Police Station that Sunday.

The matter was booked and was advised to make a follow-up report at Nanyuki Police Station where the disappearance occurred.

It was at Nanyuki where Malombe met Mugure who had also arrived to record a statement.

Ms Joyce Maua, 31, and her two children Shanice (10) and Prince Michael (5) who went missing on October 26, 2019 after visiting a senior military officer based at Laikipia Air Base. [Philip Muasya, Standard]

In his statement to the police, the military officer indicated that at around 6.30pm on October 26, he escorted Syombua and the children to the bus stage.

He said he left the three at the stage waiting for a matatu and went back to his workplace, therefore he did not know which vehicle they boarded.

When the Saturday Standard reached out to Mugure, he directed us to the police.

“Contact the right channels and you will obtain the information you need,” Mugure said on the phone.

An officer at Nanyuki Police Station, a Mr Kiptoo, who has been investigating the matter, said it was a complicated case that needed a lot of time and travelling.

“I have handed over the file to the DCIO Laikipia East because I realised it needs a lot of travelling and effort,” the officer said.

Muriithi said, “We have established they were not in good terms as a couple.”Hope that the family would be traced through telephone signals dwindled after a cellphone believed to belong to Syombua was on Wednesday found inside a matatu registered with 4NTE Sacco in Nanyuki town. An official of the sacco denied that their vehicle ferried the three to Nairobi.

READ ALSO:   Joyce Syombua’s husband fired by KDF over her murder

“We do not ferry clients at night, the vehicle in which the phone was found was on a private duty that day.”

The family is now appealing to DCI boss George Kinoti to take up the matter and unravel the mysterious disappearance of the three.

By Standard

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Kenyans sweep in Obama’s birthplace

Published

on

Sport may still be frowned upon in Kenya where politics – and political horse-trading – seem to be the nation’s staple, but athletes most certainly continue to positively impact on lives.

Stories of athletes rising from rags to riches might sound cliché, but they must be told to inspire future generations.

The story of Titus Ekiru and Margaret Muriuki Wangare is right down this alley.

On Sunday in Honolulu, the city that brought forth USA’s first black president – Kenyan-American Barack Obama – they continued to remind USA that Kenya won’t just get off the American headlines just yet with a sweep of the Honolulu Marathon titles.

And what’s more, defending champion Ekiru, 27, set a new course record, defending his title in two hours, seven minutes and 59 seconds to become the fastest man over the marathon in the beautiful Island of Hawaii where USA’s 44th president was born.

The wins came hours after another Kenyan, US-based Edward Cheserek, won the curtain-raising mile race on Saturday in three minutes and 53 seconds.

It was 33-year-old Wangari’s marathon debut, and she dedicated her 2:31:09 victory to her ailing mother, Agnes Muthoni Kenyua.

From her race earnings, she can afford better medical care for her beloved mum.

READ ALSO:   More arrests loom over Syombua, children's killings

“It’s been tough. My mother was diagnosed with kidney failure but despite her illness, she has been praying for me a lot,” said an emotional Wangari, who left the track (5,000 metres) to focus on the road, making her 42km debut Sunday.

She also dedicated the win to her four-year-old daughter, Lynnolive Jemutai and husband, Jacob Kipchum Yator.

Fellow Kenyan, US-based Betsy Saina, who has been training in Flagstaff, Arizona, was second in 2:31:51.

Saina blamed herself for underrating the tough course in the Hawaiian State capital, failing to match a late lush by Wangare.

“I came here as favourite and I thought I’d push later in the race, but I think I underrated the course a bit,” the Iowa State University running legend told Nation Sport.

In the men’s race, Ekiru led a clean sweep of the podium and said there’s no time to celebrate as he heads back home to prepare for his entry into the rich World Marathon Majors circuit.

He plans to attack the Tokyo Marathon on March 1 and will be knocking on selectors’ doors for an Olympic ticket.

Former winner Wilson Chebet was a distant second in 2:13:13 after experiencing some problems with his right thigh muscle in the second half, with Edwin Koech (2:14:19) completing the Kenyan sweep.

READ ALSO:   Murder most foul: Soldier was ordered to support his 2 children

Ekiru, paced by Reuben Kerio, third here last year, peeled away, like an onion, from the lead pack in trademark fashion between kilometre 22 and 23.

Chebet and Koech were unable to respond. Ekiru then motored to the finish alone.

“The pacemakers did a good job,” he said.

“I’d wanted 63:30 at halfway and they did like 63:40, which wasn’t bad.”

“There’s very little time between now and the Tokyo Marathon so I won’t celebrate too much this Christmas when I get back to Kapsabet as I have to start early preparations,” said Ekiru. who shattered the course record of 2:08:27, set in 2017 by fellow Kenyan Lawrence Cherono.

Again, Ekiru’s story has been that of battling poverty to make a living through sport.

The rising star from Turkana didn’t finish primary school education, dropping out of primary school at Kosirai in Nandi County due to his family’s state of poverty.

But his command of English is impeccable and his focus unwavering.

Honolulu Marathon President and CEO Jim Barahal said he would dish out a cheque of $40,000 (Sh4 million) to Ekiru – $25,000 (Sh2.5 million) for the win, $10,000 (Sh1 million) for the course record and a further time bonus of $5,000 (Sh500,000) for running a sub-2:08 time.

READ ALSO:   Joyce Syombua’s husband fired by KDF over her murder

Wangare will take home Sh4 million which will most certainly go a long way in assisting her ailing mother.

Leading results from the Honolulu Marathon on Sunday

1. Titus Ekiru (Kenya) 2:07:59

2. Wilson Chebet (Kenya) 2:13:13

3. Edwin Koech (Kenya) 2:14:19

4. Mike Cheshire (Kenya) 2:16:30

5. Jackson Limo (Kenya) 2:17:09

6. Osako Suguru (Japan) 2:17:29

7. Takuya Fukatsu (Japan) 2:19:00

8. Shinya Ohashi (Japan) 2:23:54

9. Taku Harada (Japan) 2:30:32

10. Takaaki Awata (Japan) 2:34:23

1. Margaret Wangare Muriuki (Kenya) 2:31:10

2. Betsy Saina (Kenya) 2:31:51

3. Renee Metivier (USA) 2:43:17

4. Miharu Shimokado (Japan) 2:45:22

5. Kaoru Nagao (Japan) 2:52:55

6. Eri Oda (Japan) 2:55:39

7. Polina Carlson (USA) 2:57:37

8. Rosanna Breslin (USA) 3:04:49

9. Bree Brown (USA) 3:07:47

9. Akiko Patterson (USA) 3:09:14

By Nation

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Eve D’Souza is officially off the market

Published

on

Eve D’souza, the sassy actress and former radio personality, has had her success story told over and over but in the many interviews never disclosed anything about her love life.

In the beginning of the year she introduced Simon Anderson to the world as the love of her life.

Anderson describes himself as a traveler and experience seeker, food and wine lover and a sevens rugby fan.

With only weeks left before the end of the year, the Anderson took D’Souza across the globe and proposed to her in Candolim Beach, Goa, India.

D’Souza she said yes and soon after shared the good news with her fans on social media.

“The entire universe conspired to help us find each other and it was truly worth the wait. Once in a lifetime, you meet someone special who changes everything. I can’t wait to marry you and look forward to a lifetime of adventures and special moments together,” D’Souza wrote.

In an interview with Nairobi News in March 2017, the Varshita actress said she Mr Right had no yet come her way.

During the interview, the 40-year-old explained that the reason she has never gone public about her relationships is because of the way her family approaches relationships.

READ ALSO:   Joyce Syombua’s husband fired by KDF over her murder

“The way my family approaches relationships is, until it is dead serious I don’t want to introduce anyone. My self-esteem has always been based on my career and not on relationships. It’s not like I’m dying to show off a man,” she said.

By Nairobi News

Continue Reading

News

Police deny pickpocketing incident among officers during Sonko’s arrest

Published

on

The National Police Service (NPS) has refuted claims that a police officer pick-pocketed his senior during the dramatic arrest of Nairobi Governor, Mike Sonko, on Friday morning in Voi.

NPS was responding to a video that gone viral showing a police officer grabbed something from the back pocket of his senior colleague as they were trying to handcuff Sonko.

“The video clip doing rounds on social media highlighting what appears to be an act of pickpocketing by a police officer is a misrepresentation of facts and untrue,” NPS tweeted.

National Police Service-Kenya

@NPSOfficial_KE

The video clip doing rounds on social media highlighting what appears to be an act of pickpocketing by a police officer is a misrepresentation of facts and untrue. /1

587 people are talking about this

According to NPS, the senior officer has also confirmed that he not been pickpocketed.

“The Officer in Charge of Traffic Voi has confirmed that he was not pick pocketed. Equally, the police command in Voi has confirmed that the officer in question is disciplined and of high integrity,” NPS said in a tweet.

National Police Service-Kenya

The video clip doing rounds on social media highlighting what appears to be an act of pickpocketing by a police officer is a misrepresentation of facts and untrue. /1

National Police Service-Kenya

@NPSOfficial_KE

The Officer in Charge of Traffic Voi has confirmed that he was not pick pocketed. Equally, the police command in Voi has confirmed that the officer in question is disciplined and of high integrity. /2

163 people are talking about this

In the video, two officers one from Administration Police and the other from Kenya Police are seen behind their senior colleague.

Seconds later, the right hand of the AP officer is seen taking something from the pocket of his senior.

The Voi Traffic boss then turns randomly to look behind him but the two junior officers move away.

The senior officers then looks back and follows the dramatic arrest of Sonko.

By NN

READ ALSO:   Murder most foul: Soldier was ordered to support his 2 children
Continue Reading


Are you looking for a Church to fellowship in Atlanta Metro Area?

poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

November 2019
M T W T F S S
« Oct   Dec »
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!