Connect with us

News

Uhuru, Ruto plan Murang’a tours

Published

on

President Uhuru Kenyatta and his Deputy William Ruto are expected in different churches in Muranga Sunday in what is expected to add fuel to the growing speculation of a rift between the two politicians ahead of the 2022 elections.

Muranga Governor Mwangi wa Iria, Senator Irungu Kang’ata and ACK Mt Kenya South Diocese Bishop Julius Karanu have confirmed to have received the official communication from State House while Kandara MP Alice Wahome and Mr Dennis Itumbi have separately confirmed that DP Ruto will worship in Kandara.

The President will be at ACK church in Kenol, Maragua constituency, on the proposed Kenol-Nyeri-Sagana- Marwa dual-carriage highway while DP Ruto will attend a fundraiser in neighbouring Kandara constituency.

Senator Kang’ata told the Saturday Nation that the President personally communicated with him on Wednesday confirming the visit.

“We talked with the President on phone and he has reassured me that he will be in Murang’a. I invited the President earlier this year while we were in State House with Bishop Karanu. We had gone there to receive a school bus for Mukangu Secondary School,” he said.

Governor wa Iria added: “I have received the official communication from State House that the Head of State will be in Murang’a on Sunday although briefly in order to attend to other matters,” he said.

READ ALSO:   We don’t want to play ‘reggae’ for bruised country, says Raila

Bishop Karanu said they are eagerly awaiting the President’s visit.

“We are elated to host the President. He will be worshipping with us on Sunday and I have official confirmation,” the bishop said.
Maragua MP Mary Waithira, a Ruto supporter, said she would attend the President’s event as he will be visiting her constituency.

“It’s true that both leaders will be in Murang’a, but I will be hosting the President and so I won’t make it to Kandara,” she said.

Asked why the leaders invited the President and his deputy on the same day, the MP said: “The President and the Deputy President were invited separately and without knowledge aforethought.”

Mr Itumbi said DP Ruto will be in Kirinyaga and Murang’a counties for fundraisers.

“The Deputy President will be in Gichugu for a fundraiser and in the afternoon he will be visiting Kandara for another event,” Mr Itumbi said.
State House Spokesperson Kanze Dena and Mr David Mugonyi, the director of communications in the DP’s office, avoided the question on whether the duo will be in Murang’a.

Ms Dena said: “I can’t confirm that today but as soon I get the details I will let you know,” she said by phone.

Mr Mugonyi sent a short message, saying “I’m not aware”.

READ ALSO:   Moi gave me land when I visited him from university – DP Ruto

The move by the top Jubilee leaders to visit Murang’a separately will likely raise eyebrows and divide the region’s legislators further.

Mr Kang’ata, Ms Wanjiru Chege (woman representative), Ms Wangari Mwaniki (Kigumo), Mr Muturi Kigano (Kangema), Mr Peter Kimari (Mathioya) and Mr Nduati Ngugi (Gatanga) support the President and the ‘handshake’ while Mr Ndindi Nyoro (Kiharu), Ms Alice Wahome (Kandara) and Ms Waithira (Maragua) are allied to DP Ruto and have endorsed his 2022 presidential bid.

Among the issues expected to be discussed by the President are the outcome of the Building Bridges Initiative and development in the Mt Kenya region.
“We have huge development projects and others are in the pipeline. The President will worship at a church near the proposed dual-carriage highway that will start next month,” Mr Kang’ata said.

by nation.co.ke

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Shock as another Kenyan athlete is banned for doping

Published

on

The Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) handed Kenya’s long-distance runner Mikel Kiprotich Mutai a four-year ban on Friday for a doping offence.

Road runner Japhet Kipchirchir Kipkorir was also handed provisional suspension for a similar offence.

Mutai’s ban starts on March 20 for four years and his results dating back to December 15, 2019, will be nullified.

Mutai and another Kenyan star Alex Korio Oliotiptip were handed separate provisional suspensions for violating World Athletics anti-doping rules on May 1, 2020.

Mutai’s charge involved the presence of prohibited substances (Norandrosterone) while Oliotiptip was suspended due to whereabout failures.

Former world marathon record-holder Paul Tergat said in April criminalising doping will help end vice in the country.

Tergat stated the country must move with speed and create a new law that will criminalise the offence.

“We all ran clean and we want our current crop of athletes to run clean. There’s no shortcut to clean sports except training hard.

“So many things have been happening right, left and centre regarding doping in Kenya,” said Tergat.

Tergat, the National Olympic Committee of Kenya (NOC-K) president, indicated athletes caught doping should serve jail time.

“Kenya now needs to be tough on dopers by criminalising their offences. They will suffer double loss to revenue and time in jail if they are found doping,” said Tergat.

READ ALSO:   Moses Kuria goes bare knuckle on Uhuru accusing him of developing areas that voted opposition

“At the current rate, Kenya risks being banned from the Olympics or big city’s marathons. What we need to do is make the punishment for offenders more punitive.

This will also bar offenders from putting on our national colours and make them ineligible to compete elsewhere,” he added.

Current Kenyan law stipulates a jail term of up to three years for support staff found guilty in connection with doping, but not for athletes.

From 2004 to August 2018, 138 Kenyan athletes tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs, according to a WADA report published in September 2018.

With their high number of dopers, Kenya was placed under category A on the list of countries being watched together with Nigeria, Ethiopia, Bahrain, Morocco, Ukraine and Belarus.

By Game Yetu!

Continue Reading

Health

Coronavirus shocker: Health ministry can’t trace 140 positive people

Published

on

The government on Friday gave a shock admission that it was unable to trace 140 people who have tested positive for Covid-19.

Health Director-General Patrick Amoth lamented that the 140 who tested positive in the ongoing mass testing had given wrong contact information.

“This is a critical group of people who gave us wrong contacts and eventually the long arm of the law will catch up with them,” Dr Amoth said.

However, he did not divulge where they are located or when they were tested.

He added that at the same time, 130 positive cases were being managed from home with follow-up from the health workers.

This comes just days after the government said it had been left frustrated by individuals who gave false personal details while testing for Covid-19.

Giving wrong contact details

Health chief administrative secretary Rashid Aman said some people were deliberately giving wrong contact details and can therefore not be traced after the tests.

Dr Aman emphasised on the importance of giving correct information to assist in contact tracing.

“We have noted a disturbing behaviour and a dangerous one at that. It pertains to persons giving false contacts during targeted testing. We have talked about this in the last two briefings and I want to reiterate that it is important to give accurate information. Because it is only through this contact tracing is possible,” Dr Aman said.

READ ALSO:   William Ruto not qualified to be President - Martha Karua

“Providing wrong information means such individuals are continuing to spread the virus to their loved ones, friends and the community.”

On Thursday, Health CS Mutahi Kagwe warned Covid-19 patients not to engage in a cat and mouse chase with the government, after being put in isolation.

The CS was responding to claims that a man in Thika seen to have been exhibiting Covid-19 like symptoms is at large.

The Health CS challenged all Kenyans to be their brother’s keepers and report anyone who is sick and could be having coronavirus and refusing to get help.

“Serikali iko na mkono mrefu itakutafuta tuu pale ulipo kwa hivyo wewe rudi, nenda kea daktari, nenda isolation and you will be fine and we will pray for you even if you are a sinner,” Mr Kagwe explained.

BY NN

Continue Reading

Business

Govt demands answers from Fairmont after mass layoffs

Published

on

The government has demanded answers from Fairmont Hotels on its reason to sack all staff over what it attributed to uncertainties of the coronavirus pandemic.

The hotelier that runs Fairmont the Norfolk and Fairmont Mara Safari Cub said on Wednesday that they have ceased operations as a spiral effect of the Covid-19 pandemic and the recent flooding of Fairmont Mara Safari Club.

In a letter addressed to the Country General Manager, Mehdi Morad, Solicitor General Ken Ogeto on Friday, said the move by the hotel has generated a lot of public interest especially after some of the employees petitioned his office saying the due process was not followed.

“This matter is of public importance and great concern to the government and in view of the Attorney General’s mandate to promote, protect, and uphold the rule of law and defend public interest, this office should be very grateful if you would provide it with clarification regarding the said media reports and complaints from employees including on the veracity thereof and justification for taking such action, if this is the case,” Ogeto said in a letter dated May 29.

Declare all positions redundant

Ogeto noted the move to declare all positions redundant would have far-reaching consequences on the welfare of the employees and the country’s economy.

READ ALSO:   Moses Kuria goes bare knuckle on Uhuru accusing him of developing areas that voted opposition

“This is therefore a matter of profound public interest, in respect of which this office demands a response,” he added.

In a memo to staff, the country manager said, owing to the uncertainty of the direction the global pandemic will take, they have been forced to terminate employee contracts and close their properties.

“Due to the global Pandemic will result in the business picking up in the near future, we are left with no option but to close down the business indefinitely,” Mr Morad said in the memo.

“It is therefore the decision of the management to terminate the Services of all its employees due to “frustration” by way of mutual separation and taking into account the loyalty and dedication the employees have put into the success of our company in the previous years.”

Employees will receive their termination letters by June 5.

All major hotels in Kenya have remained closed since mid-March when international flights were suspended and movement restrictions imposed by the government to curb the spread of Covid-19.

BY NN

Continue Reading


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

November 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!