Connect with us

News

State House dismisses claims of rift between Uhuru, Ruto

Published

on

State House has denied claims that there was a growing rift between President Uhuru Kenyatta and his deputy William Ruto, a day after the Head of State lashed out at his critics.

State House Spokesperson Kanze Dena said a series of misleading narratives have been propagated through the mainstream and social media to create an impression that the duo was no longer seeing eye to eye.

On Wednesday, Uhuru seemed to lose his cool when he dismissed critics of the Building Bridges Initiative (BBI) task force report, saying they were directionless individuals who criticised the document even before it was released.

Dr Ruto and his allies had been leading attacks against the BBI report long before the document was launched only to make a U-turn after its launch.

“Even before we released the report, they were all over telling us about its contents. Now it has been released and they have taken us along a new direction,” the president was quoted saying in Gatundu North Sub-county on Thursday

.But yesterday, Ms Dena was quick to dismiss claims of a simmering rift between the two.She cited a recent photo where Ruto was seen standing outside the holding room during the BBI report launch, which created a sensation online that the DP had been locked out of Uhuru’s meeting

READ ALSO:   President Uhuru leaves politicians out of commendation list

By Standard

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

Alone in death: Kenya’s first coronavirus victim

Published

on

Kenya recorded its first death from coronavirus on Thursday with the passing of a 66-year-old man at the Aga Khan University Hospital in Nairobi.

The man, now identified as Maurice Khisa Namiinda (pictured), had just returned from a work trip in South Africa.Close family members say the engineer, founder and director of Gibb Consulting Engineers Ltd, flew into the country on Wednesday last week and soon after checked into hospital for a couple of routine checks.He had a history of diabetes that required medical attention from time to time.

Although he had passed all preliminary checks at the various airports he flew through on his way to Nairobi’s Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA), the symptoms soon started to present.

On Saturday night, he was again rushed to the Aga Khan hospital.According to doctors familiar with the case, his condition deteriorated and he was taken to the ICU until his passing on on Thursday.

Those who knew him say he was generous to a fault, always jovial. His company, Gibb International, consulted for major government authorities such as Kenya Urban Roads Authority (Kura) and several other government parastatals.

By yesterday, it was not clear how his family would handle the death following fresh directives by the government on directions to bury individuals who have died from the virus.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Uhuru will not hand power to a thief in 2022, says very close ally

Engineer Khisa becomes the first Kenyan to die from the disease that currently affects more than 30 other patients. Saturday Standard has established that three other patients in different hospitals in the country are also on life support.

Doctors describe the conditions of the others as stable.Currently, different government agencies are tracing people who might have come in contact with the patient. Evidence from countries with a higher death toll shows many of those who die with the virus are infected weeks before any government-led interventions such as quarantine and self-isolation were put into place.This inadvertently exposed the doctors who had been attending to him since he came back from South Africa to the risk of contracting the highly contagious virus.

At least eight medical practitioners who came into close contact with the patient at the Aga Khan University Hospital are under quarantine.While the state was grappling on how to address the death a day after his passing, family members in Nairobi and Bungoma were trying to come to terms with the deaths. For his community, the Bukusu, death often presents an opportunity for an elaborate sending off.

A chance for the living to honour the dead in an extended period of mourning, complete with rites and ceremonies.The current circumstances though are respecters of neither rite nor tradition. The family will be forced to forego all these and bury Khisa according to an existing government directive.All they will be left with is not the memory of a funeral, but a happier one of the time they were last together.

READ ALSO:   Uhuru’s media team goofs on census holiday

When the engineer breathed his last, medical officers in non-sterile gloves, a long- sleeved fluid resistant gown and a plastic face shield approached the body. Next, they pulled a bed sheet and gently rolled the body in it while simultaneously rolling it into a body bag.One of the three people in attendance then zipped the bag.

The three-person team then disinfected their hands, the outside of the body bag before wheeling it into the hospital mortuary.Finally, Khisa’s body was tagged. His name, age, cause of death and other identification documents were recorded and tagged onto the body bag which was then labelled “infectious substance”.

The burial will be attended by not more than 15 people. One will be a designated government officer to supervise proceedings and ensure all community practices that would result into more infections through contact are limited.Last evening, officials from the Ministry of Health had locked down Khisa’s house.

Not even his brother would be allowed in. Inside, his family waited for more direction from the state that would come as soon as they settled a Sh1.2 million medical bill accrued in the hospital.

His body still lay at the AKUH morgue.The family complained that it is being kept in the dark over the burial arrangements. They say they have had no further communication from ministry officials.

READ ALSO:   DP Ruto now openly contradicts President Kenyatta, calls BBI "a waste of time"

“We want them to do this honourably. They should not disappear with the body. We are in the dark. Why is the ministry playing games with us?” a relative told Saturday Standard.

Although a jovial well-loved man, Khisa’s last moments were lonely, quarantined from the rest of the world and, most importantly, from his family. He walked the final journey alone. The people’s person will walk out without the mourning from the people who made him who he was.

By  Saturday Standard

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Stuck with the kids? It need not be the horror it feels like

Published

on

When the government closed down all schools and sent learners home, it was deemed the best move to tame the spread of Covid-19.

To many parents, however, it has turned out to be a veritable nightmare! For those living in flats, children wake up asking to go out and play with their friends.

They have all manner of ideas about the games that they want to play that day. So, how do you explain to a three-year-old that they cannot

mingle with other children because of an unseen disease? They will ask questions and even after you have offered an explanation, they will still beg and cry to go out and play.

“The situation is even worse in the informal settlements. Picture a family of four living in a single room. The parents run small businesses and cannot afford to stay away from work. Do they lock the children in the house? No, they cannot. Further, the children are used to expansive playgrounds at school. It will be difficult to have them stay in the house. These are the gaps the government did not foresee and has failed to address,” says Daystar University School of Human and Social Sciences Dean Kennedy Ongaro.

READ ALSO:   DP Ruto now openly contradicts President Kenyatta, calls BBI "a waste of time"

Mr Gibson Anduvate, a sociologist and senior pastor at ICC in Nairobi, says parents need to find ways to keep their children busy and entertained.

“Being stuck indoors with no contact with their friends may trigger rebellion, meltdowns, anxiety and frustrations. Children are energetic and the experience can be daunting. As such, parents need to find common experiences that they can share with the children.

This could be games that they can play around the house together such as board games,” he says.

He suggests that parents allocate household chores to ensure that children are involved in the daily running of their homes.

With many parents working from home, there is the temptation to allow children to watch TV all day to ensure less distraction.

Parents can substitute normal TV programmes for channels that broadcast learning materials.

They can also buy videos with educational content. If you are working from home, Mr Anduvate suggests that this is a good opportunity to have conversations on various issues with your children.

For a lot of parents, children do not know the stories of how they grew up or what they went through. This will be a good time to walk children through their personal stories and speak to them on issues of faith to instil a spiritual foundation.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Uhuru inspects projects in Kajiado as Moses Kuria mocks his Big4 agenda

Ms Ann Wanjeru, a mother of two, says the fact that she is working from home and the children are also around has allowed her to learn more about their unique personalities.

“They are both in boarding school and, during the holidays, I do not get to spend as much time as I would like with them. Now, I am getting to understand them better. How they process conflicts and getting to learn about their strengths and weaknesses.

A few days ago, I realised that one of them actually sings very well. I will enrol her in a musical school when our lives are back to normal,” she says.

Another parent, Ms Roseline Amboko, is a banker. At the moment, she cannot to work from home, which means she is not able to supervise her three children.

“Before we go to bed every day, I ensure that we come up with a list of schedules of what they are to do the next day. My first-born is 15 years and she understands the reasoning behind avoiding physical contact. We have had days that they have gone against my instructions but the more I explain to them about the pandemic, the more cautious they become,” she explains.

Across the world, parents who are stuck indoors with their children are coming out on social media to share how they are keeping their little ones learning and entertained.

READ ALSO:   SAD VIDEO: Top TV anchor Kanze Dena tells of how she lost her 3 month old baby

By Daily Nation

Continue Reading

News

Actor who passed away on set did not die of coronavirus – producer

Published

on

Nigerian actor Matt Alkali, famed for his role in popular TV series Halita where he starred as Dareng did not die of Covid-19, this is according to the production company behind the hit drama.

Setting the record straight, Halita executive producer Dimbo Atiya stated that the actor died of a blood clot and not coronavirus as widely speculated.

“It is sad that the facts of this situation have been turned around to mislead the general public on the death of this amazing young actor. Matt Alkali was not filming on the Halita set as Familiar Grounds Media officially closed set Monday, March 23 in conforming to the plea by government. All cast and crew of Halita were disengaged,” he said.

“Matt Alkali had stopped filming about a month ago. The “set” he was working on was a different film project by some independent producers from Masaka in Karu. He was said to be on the location of the project since Sunday.”

Atiya explained that whilst it is true that Alkali died in Nasarawa State, Central Nigeria, the actor had been battling the condition for years.

“Alkali Matt had blood clot condition for a long time, something he had managed with orthodox medicine. But sort local traditional solution recently, I spoke with him on phone just on Saturday,” he added.

READ ALSO:   The winners and losers of Uhuru's latest Cabinet reshuffle

He further reiterated that the deceased was not in Lagos for the Africa Magic Viewers’ Choice Awards where an attendee, according to health officials, tested positive for the virus.

“He was not at the AMVCA. And, even if he had contact with anyone with COVID 19 here in Abuja, he will still be in the incubating period. (If he did come in contact with the virus, it was not on the set of Halita or through anyone on that project as it is speculated,” Atiya went on.

The producer noted that details as to what the deceased died of is not in doubt and expressed confidence that if an autopsy is conducted, it will disprove the widely circulated notions.

“Familiar Grounds Media offered to carry an autopsy to know what happened to him, his family’s wish was they are not interested, they will like to bury their son in peace. This can be verified from the officials at the Federal Medical Centre Keffi, which, by the way, is the hospital he was taken to.”

In an earlier statement, Atiya had eulogized the late actor as a talent gone too soon.

“This has come as a rude shock to us all and we pray that the Lord will grant his family the fortitude to bear this great loss. From all of us at Familiar Grounds, we say rest in power “Dareng”, shared Atiya on Instagram.

READ ALSO:   Utabeba msalaba wako mwenyewe, Uhuru awaambia maafisa wake

-Standardmedia.co.ke

Continue Reading


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

December 2019
M T W T F S S
« Nov   Jan »
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!