Connect with us

Health

Eight-hour wait for ambulance that cost woman her baby, womb

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Joyce Adhiambo was looking forward to having her baby. She was expecting a baby boy. She had been attending routine ante-natal clinics and medics had assured her everything was okay.But today Adhiambo has no baby, and to make matters worse no womb.

Adhiambo and her husband Caleb Obiero now say that had medics at the Sigomere Sub-county Hospital in Siaya County acted in time, she would have had a successful delivery.An eight-hour wait for an ambulance to transfer her to a referral hospital for special care not only cost her baby but also her womb. Her womb ruptured and had to be removed.

When The Standard visited her yesterday, Adhiambo was lying helpless on a seat in her mother-in-law’s sitting room, reeling in pain – emotional and physical.“I was taken to Sigomere Sub-county Hospital, where I had been attending antenatal clinics, after I developed labour pains,” says Adhiambo.

She says she was taken to the labour ward but was left unattended even as she wailed in pain.

“My pleas to the medics that my waters had burst fell on deaf ears.”“I was left on the bed unattended, even as the nurses walked in and out of the ward. It was a trainee nurse who responded to my cries and beckoned the medics to come to my rescue,” she says.

It was after observation that the nurses mentioned that the baby was not lying in a proper position and there was need to transfer her to Siaya County Referral Hospital.

She says the nurses kept telling her to persevere and wait for an ambulance, which took nearly eight hours.“The medics at the referral facility did not take the case as an emergency and kept me waiting for slightly over two hours before wheeling me to the theatre where they broke the sad news to me.”She had lost her baby and, worst of all her womb.

The 41-year-old Adhiambo, who was discharged from Siaya County Referral Hospital last Sunday, now wants justice.He husband insists this is a clear case of medical negligence and wants stern action taken against the concerned medics at Sigomere hospital and Siaya County Referral Hospital.

“My wife had been going for checkups at Sigomere Hospital and they ought to have kept her records and consequently handled her complication appropriately,” says Obiero.The 38-year-old father of four still cannot wrap his mind around the fact that his wife will never give birth again, yet he still wants more children.“I am a peasant and I don’t know how I will fund my wife’s medication. I ask concerned government agencies to step in and help my wife get justice,” he said.

Unfortunate loss

When reached for comment yesterday, Sigomere Sub-county Hospital Superintendent Dr Odhiambo Aduol declined to give details, saying he was not authorised by his superiors to speak to the media.“Kindly get comments from the county Health executive,” he said.

Siaya County Health Executive Dorothy Owino admitted that indeed the case was handled in the two facilities. She, however, was quick to absolve the health workers of blame, only terming the loss as unfortunate.“The baby was in abnormal position. When the water broke, the arm prolapsed together with the umbilical cord. And an obstetric emergency that led to the demise of the unborn child,” said Owino, adding that appropriate action will be taken.

By The Standard


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

Shock as man ‘resurrects’ in a Kericho mortuary

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 2
  •  
  •  
  •  

There was drama at Kapkatet sub-county hospital in Kericho on Tuesday night when a 32-year-old man who had been presumed dead and taken to the mortuary regained consciousness close to three hours later.

Mortuary attendants were getting ready to embalm Peter Kigen’s body when they noticed some movements.

Kigen, a resident of Kibwastuiyo village in Bureti Constituency, is said to have collapsed while at home before his family took him to hospital.

His younger brother, Kevin Kipkurui, said he was present when Kigen collapsed. With the help of their cousin, they took Kigen to the hospital at 5.30 pm.

“When we arrived at the casualty department, we met a doctor who asked us to register the details of the patient at the reception while he attended to him,” Kipkurui, who was still in shock, told The Standard.

After registering the patient, Kipkurui said he was again asked to the National Hospital Insurance Fund desk for further documentation of his brother.

Kigen reportedly suffers from a chronic illness.

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

 

Subscribe to our newsletter and stay updated on the latest developments and special offers!

“When I went back to the casualty department at around 7.45 pm, I learnt my brother was dead. A nurse told me that he died long before we arrived at the hospital,” Kipkurui said.

He added: “The nurse later handed me a document to take to the mortuary attendant before my brother’s body was moved to the morgue.”

However, at 10.30 pm, Kipkuriu said, as they were waiting for embalming of Kigen’s body, they were informed that in fact, he was not dead.

Mortuary attendants who mummified the body told them that Kigen had regained consciousness.

“The mortician called me into the morgue and we saw him make movements. We were shocked. We could not understand how they could move a person who is still alive into the mortuary,” Kipkurui said.

Kigen, who spoke from his hospital bed yesterday, said he was shocked to learn that he was thought to have died and even taken to the mortuary.

“I cannot believe what just happened. How did they establish that I was dead?” he said.

Kirui, who donned his light-blue hospital uniform, was nevertheless happy to be alive and vowed to dedicate his life to evangelism once he’s discharged from hospital.

“I did not even know where I was when I regained consciousness, but I thank God for sparing my life. I will serve him for the rest of my life,” he said.

The hospital’s medical superintendent Gilbert Cheruiyot said Kigen was in critical condition when he was brought in.

Dr Cheruiyot said: “His relatives presumed he was dead and did not even wait for certification of death. They moved him to the mortuary, on their own.”

He said the clinical officers at the casualty were busy attending to other critically ill patients when Kigen was brought in, including an epileptic and a diabetic patient.

“They asked Kigen’s relatives to give them some time but they accused the clinicians of taking too much time and decided to take him to the mortuary. It was while the mortician was getting ready to embalm his body that she noticed some signs of life,” said Cheruiyot. He said the mortician informed the team at the casualty department which took Kigen back and begun resuscitating him. The process took three hours before the patient was stabilised.

“The patient was later taken to the ward and is responding well to treatment. We hope to discharge him in a few days,” Dr Cheruiyot said yesterday.

He added: “I advise those bringing their loved ones to the hospital to follow the laid down regulations. Before a body is moved the mortuary, it has to be certified by a clinician. In Kigen’s case, we can only say he was lucky, especially because of our qualified mortician who checked him before making any move,” said Cheruiyot.

The bizarre incident saw local MCAs, led by the Majority Leader Hezron Kipngeno, storm the hospital. This is after Chelanget MCA Hezborn Tonui demanded a statement from the heath committee over the incident that shocked the county.


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 2
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Health

Janet Mbugua shares her Covid-19 scare

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 2
  •  
  •  
  •  

Media personality Janet Mbugua has shared the tale of the time she faced a scare as thought she had contracted Covid-19 last month.

In a video she shared on Instagram, the former Citizen tv news anchor said she experienced Covid-19 symptoms which escalated quite quickly.

The video shows her being taken through the nasal swab test for Covid-19, which is known to very uncomfortable.

Luckily, the result for the mother of two came back negative.

Janet Mbugua said that her scary experience motivated her to fight the fear and stigma related to Coronavirus, and will use her platform to advocate for a vaccine.

This comes as Covid-19 cases continue to rise sharply in Kenya amid a rush by various pharmaceutical companies globally to come up with an effective vaccine.

By NN


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 2
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Health

Comedian Flaqo opens up on rare condition he has been battling

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Popular Kenyan comedian, Flaqo born Erastus Ayieko Otieno has for the first time spoken about a rare condition that he has been struggling with for some time.

Turns out that despite the funny man the Kenyan audience and beyond has grown to know as Flaqo Raz, he has his fair share of battles behind the cameras.

Flaqo opens up

The Internet sensation shared a photo showing red, itchy welts like a form of skin reaction on certain parts of his body.

Depending on the reactions, the welts appear and fade repeatedly and vary in size.

The YouTuber shared his condition with fans in the hope that maybe one or two can relate to what he has been going through and maybe work out a solution on the same.

“Anyone with this condition, how do you go about it?” he posed.

Comedian Flaqo rare skin condition

“Sometimes I have to postpone my shoots because they are unbearable. Zangu zilipotea for 6 months straight. Now they are back…” he replied to a fan who shared a similar experience.

Funny enough, soon as he had put up the post, he got so much feedback, with so many individuals able to relate to his skin condition, to his amazement.

“So far: try staying in the sun for a bit, bathe with warm water after taking antihistamines. To understand your condition better, make a point of seeing a dermatologist,” Flaqo shared with fans battling a similar condition, after gathering responses from his fan base.

Wrapping up urging fellow victims to take plenty of water, work out more often and avoid proteins since hives get triggered by things like particular foods, medication and stress.

By Ghafla.com


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Special Offer: Own one starting at Ksh 3.7M


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2020 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending