Connect with us

Health

Family blames KNH of negligence after 16-year-old girl dies at the facility

Published

on

By JUDITH GICOBI

Doctors at Kenyatta National Hospital(KNH) are being faced with yet another negligence case.

A distressed family to a 16-year-old girl is blaming the hospital for the death of their kin at the hospital Sunday morning.

Joyce Wayo passed on at the hospital after being admitted with breathing complications on Saturday night. But the doctors did not act quickly to save her.

The deceased father, Mr. Peter Kanyita, was called by the school on Saturday saying the daughter needed urgent medical care.

They rushed to Mathari hospital but were advised to go to Kenyatta National Hospital.

By their arrival at the hospital, Joyce was having difficulty breathing. Kanyita pleaded with the doctors to put her on oxygen.

“When we got to KNH, I told them the child needed oxygen immediately because she had difficulty in breathing. We begged the doctor to attend to my daughter but they kept us waiting for three hours until she passed on,” Kanyita said.

She started to have convulsions and passed on soon after. Efforts to resuscitate her were futile.

The hospital management has dismissed claims that there was any negligence from the medics.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

CAS Aman touched by man who reported Ruaka residents’ carefree lifestyle

Published

on

Health CAS Rashid Aman on Wednesday expressed his gratitude to a man who he said visited his office to share his grievances on how dwellers of his residential area is handling Covid-19.

The unnamed resident of Ruaka area in Kiambu County, according to the CAS, went to the ministry’s office looking to convey a message to any top official and despite being kept waiting for a while he finally was able to see him after the guards let him through.

MAN’S VISIT TO AFYA HOUSE

Dr Aman said the man narrated to him how residents of Ruaka where he lives were not adhering to the measures placed by the government, especially when it comes to public transport.

The CAS said he was touched by the man’s effort to visit the ministry and wait to see an official, adding that he could see he was not a man of means, but was determined to convey the message.

“I want to share with you an experience I had yesterday (Tuesday). Before I came out to give the briefing there was a gentleman sitting in my office and he had been sitting there for quite a while waiting to see me. I didn’t have a chance to see this elderly gentleman before the brief but when I went back I called him in and I spoke to him and asked him what had brought him to Afya House,” he said.

According to Aman, the man told him that he had come with a message and he had insisted (to the guards and the receptionists) that he wanted to see someone in leadership.

CONTAINMENT MEASURES

“He told me that what he is seeing in Ruaka worried him. People there have disregarded all containment measures and especially measures that touch on transportation and travel. Matatus there are filing up passengers beyond capacity and he was very concerned because he was in one of those matatus with his wife,” Dr Aman narrated.

The CAS commended the Ruaka resident for his patience and concern and urged Kenyans, including matatu operators, to adhere to the instructions given on the maximum number of passengers that can be carried.

“I want to make a special appeal to each one of us to take personal responsibility in the fight against this disease,” Aman said.

Kenya on Wednesday recorded 307 new cases of Covid-19, the highest since the outbreak in the country, raising the country’s total confirmed cases to 6,673.

By Nairobi News

Continue Reading

Health

It wasn’t COVID-19: MP Jude Jomo claims tests on late mother were wrong

Published

on

It has now emerged that the mother of Kiambu MP Jude Jomo did not die from coronavirus as had been claimed.

Jomo said Margaret Njomo who passed away early in June, got inaccurate COVID-19 diagnosis which led to her hurried burial at the night.

The late Margaret fell ill on June 8 and was rushed to a Nairobi hospital where he passed. Photo: Jude Jomo.
Source: Facebook

Speaking in the National Assembly when he demanded explanation from the House Health Committee, the MP said the government notified the family that the mother had tested positive for the virus.

“I tried to beg for more time but in line with the law, we received a call at 3pm we buried her by 8pm, for the 82 years she had lived we felt that we did not give her the dignity,” the MP explained.

Jude Njomo

It wasn’t COVID-19: MP Jude Jomo claims tests on late mother were wrong
Source: Facebook

The lawmaker told the House his mother fell ill on June 8, and was rushed to The Mater Hospital where she was pronounced dead.

However, the government had instructed the late mother be buried withing the stipulated period as she had apparently been sick with coronavirus.

He explained tests done at the Lancet Labs on behalf of The Mater Hospital showed the late was positive.

The family then ordered two other tests at the National Influenza Centre and the Nairobi Hospital both of which returned negative verdicts.

“I asked myself how many Kenyans have gotten wrong results, how many other Kenyans go through quarantine because of a wrong outcome, how many labs are careless, there are many Kenyans who are voiceless and let me the voice for those who have been offended by the careless laboratories, I wrote to KMPDB to inquire what is the problem of Lancet?”the MP asked.

The Mater Hospital boss Dominic Mwenje told the Sabina Chege-led committee that neither did the institution reach out to Lancet nor follow up on the contentious results.

“I believe that we didn’t contact Lancet about the negative result, being a national credited lab used by many hospitals and institutions, when the two returned negative results we did not follow up on this case,” Mwenje said.

Sabina said her team will summon the Lancet management to shed more light on the discrepancies.

By Tuko.co.ke

Continue Reading

Health

COVID-19 preparedness: List of counties that have met 300-bed requirement

Published

on

At least 12 counties have met the 300-bed capacity requirement for treatment of COVID-19 ahead of the highly anticipated address by President Uhuru Kenyatta.

The president is expected to make on a decision on whether to re-open the country or extend the nationwide curfew and cessation of movement in some counties based on the counties’ capacity to tackle the COVID-19 pandemic.

 

COVID-19 preparedness: List of counties that have met 300-bed requirement ahead of Uhuru's big addressHealth CS Mutahi Kagwe (l) accompanied by other government officials during a visit to one of the hospitals in the country. Photo: MoH.
Source: Facebook

A statement by the Council of Governors (COG) revealed just over 10 counties had beefed up health status with isolation facilities with 300 bed-capacity.

The report showed counties across the country had 6,898 isolation beds against the prerequisite of 30,500 as of June 25.

COVID-19 preparedness: List of counties that have met 300-bed requirement ahead of Uhuru's big addressCOG chairman Wycliffee Oparanya said the remaining counties were working towards achieving the 300 bed capacity. Photo: Wycliffe Oparanya.
Source: Facebook

The 12 counties which had complied with the president’s directive were:

Mombasa – 432

Machakos – 373

Kiambu – 325

Uasin Gishu – 324

COVID-19 preparedness: List of counties that have met 300-bed requirement ahead of Uhuru's big addressMurang’a Governor Mwangi wa Iria displays one of the beds at an isolation facility in his county. Photo: File/TUKO.co.ke.
Source: Original

Makueni – 312

Murang’a – 305

Vihiga – 300

Homa Bay – 300

COVID-19 preparedness: List of counties that have met 300-bed requirement ahead of Uhuru's big addressOver 6,300 people have contracted the novel coronavirus in Kenya. Photo: CDC.
Source: UGC

Nyeri – 340

Kericho

Kisii – 318

Kilifi – 308

COG chairman Wycliffe Oparanya who is also Kakamega Governor said over 30 counties had in the past one week trained 689 healthcare workers and sensitised 1614 community health volunteers on management of COVID-19 through the support of various partners.

“Last week I reported a total of five counties with isolation facilities with 300 bed-capacity. We now have five more counties each having acquired the minimum 300 bed capacity. The remaining counties are working towards achieving the 300-bed capacity in line with the last summit’s agreement,”Oparanya said.

The Ministry of Health recently reported 91% of the cases were locally transmitted hence underscoring the need for strengthening community prevention and surveillance activities.

“As the curve continues to tick upwards, we must all take responsibility as no one is safe until everyone is safe. We must therefore observe hygiene and the safety measures put in place as control of the virus is largely based on individual discipline,”Oparanya added.

As of Tuesday, June 30, Kenya had recorded 6,366 confirmed COVID-19 cases.

Out of the total infections, 2,039 had recovered while 148 had lost their lives to the disease.

By Tuko.co.ke

Continue Reading


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!