Connect with us

News

Locusts now in Embu County as residents cry for help

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

 Embu County residents are worried as Desert locusts have been sighted at Kiambere and Mutuavare villages of the arid Mbeere South Constituency.

Reports indicated that the swarms were first seen on Friday evening, damaging shrubs, green pastures and millet.

Mbeere South Deputy County Commissioner Charles Igiha said the voracious feeders entered Embu from Kitui County, through Isako.

Mr Igiha said the Agriculture ministry was informed of the invasion, whose seriousness he noted in his appeal for urgent action.

“Locusts are a menace. They should be eliminated before they wreak havoc on farms,” he said.

Mbeere South member of Parliament Geoffrey King’ang’i asked residents to monitor the insects’ movements.

Some villagers said they were afraid that without urgent measures, the insects would ravage their crops.

“The locusts are spreading very fast and are many. We are worried because they are feeding on trees and the grass for our animals,” one said.

Another said they expected a bumper harvest following heavy rains but may end up with much less.

Kiambere Ward Representative Lenny Mwaniki described the situation as serious and called for quick intervention by the government.

“The locusts are destroying all plants. They should be controlled before they clear everything,” Mr Mwaniki said, and warned of a famine if measures such as spraying are not taken.

READ ALSO:   Panic as locusts continue to wreak havoc

The appeal has remained the same in at least 10 other counties affected by the invasion so far – Isiolo, Samburu, Wajir, Garissa, Marsabit, Laikipia, Mandera, Kitui, Baringo and Turkana.

Residents want the government to act quickly to ensure food security and cushion farmers from losses, but officials have admitted challenges in aerial spraying, including lack of enough personnel, aircraft and pesticides, as well as training.

Agriculture Principal Secretary Hamadi Boga, who on Thursday supervised aerial and ground spraying in Lengusaka in Samburu East, admitted that the government was struggling with inadequate resources.

The PS said only five aircraft used for spraying and four helicopters for surveillance were at their disposal.

The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations has warned that the situation could worsen if authorities do not act fast to contain the marauding swarms.

The FAO says the weather has fuelled the insects’ movement, meaning the spread may not end soon. The agency added that the pests could multiply 500-fold by June if unchecked.

The UN has released $10 million (Sh1 billion) for aerial spraying in response to the worst locust outbreak in decades to hit East Africa.

by nation.co.ke


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Lifestyle

Comedian David The Student tests positive for Covid-19 in US after drama with racist couple

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Former Churchill Show comedian David Kangogo, famously known as David The Student, has tested positive for Covid-19 just days after he had an altercation with a Caucasian couple in the United States of America.

The comedian, through his Facebook page, said he started feeling unwell and also exhibited the symptoms associated with the deadly virus on Friday before going for a test which turned positive.

“I got diagnosed with Covid-19. Now I am quarantined and I trust and believe I’ll get through this. Thank you all for the support I’ve been receiving. Thank you! Please stay safe, wear a mask, wash your hands and social distance,” he wrote.

Hᴇʏ ɢᴜʏs!

I ɢᴏᴛ ᴅɪᴀɢɴᴏsᴇᴅ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴄᴏᴠɪᴅ 19 . I ɴᴏᴡ ᴀᴍ ǫᴜᴀʀᴀɴᴛɪɴᴇᴅ ᴀɴᴅ I ᴛʀᴜsᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ʙᴇʟɪᴇᴠᴇ I’ʟʟ ɢᴇᴛ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ᴛʜɪs! Tʜᴀɴᴋ…

Posted by David the Student on Monday, November 23, 2020

Kangogo, who relocated to the US in search of greener pastures in 2018, has been working as a Lyft driver.

Last week the comedian was in the news after an angry Lyft passenger hurled racial slurs at him after he asked the Caucasian couple who had requested for a ride to put on a mask.

READ ALSO:   Panic as locusts continue to wreak havoc

In a disturbing video, which has since gone viral after it was shared by Al Jazeera, shows a passenger identified only as “Joe” erupting after Kangogo asked him to put his mask back on after taking it off during the ride.

The clip shows the man getting out of the car and unleashing verbal abuse toward the former comedian as his female companion looks on.

Kongogo then urged the man to keep abusing him as he keeps recording the incident.

David The Student told the couple to “just put on” their masks, but he wasn’t having it and even threatened to urinate inside the car, the video shows.

Kangogo, 30, told Newsweek the man ignored his first request to put his mask back on after taking it off during the ride. The company’s policy requires all passengers and drivers to don masks during the Covid-19 pandemic.

He said he called Lyft representatives following the incident and then went home.

“I couldn’t drive,” Kangogo told the outlet. “I was literally shaking.”

In a statement, Lyft confirmed the unidentified passenger had been permanently banned.

“There is no place for discrimination of any sort in the Lyft community, and this behavior is absolutely unacceptable,” the statement reads. “We have permanently removed the rider from the Lyft community and have been in touch with the driver to offer our support.”


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

News

Supreme Court judge Njoki Ndung’u’s mother cremated in New York

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

The mother of Supreme Court judge Njoki Ndung’u who passed away in the United States after a long illness was cremated in a private ceremony held on Thursday at Utica in New York.

Mama Victoria Mercy Nyaithiru succumbed to cancer in New York last week Sunday, according to a statement issued by the Presidential Strategic Communication Unit (PSCU).

On Saturday, November 21, a memorial service was held virtually with Ms Ndung’u eulogising her mother, saying that she instilled a sense of responsibility that helped her become responsible as the firstborn in her family.

In the two hour ceremony that was broadcast on social media, the judge said she confided in her mother in both good and bad times.

“We would make many decisions together about their schooling. Over the years I embraced the role of a third parent. Our personalities complimented each other, we were both workaholics but you were soft-spoken while I was strong-willed, assertive and stubborn. We made an excellent team,” she said.

First Lady Margaret Kenyatta, who also attended the virtual memorial, eulogised her as a passionate and hardworking woman, who raised a distinguished family whose members have served this nation with distinction.

READ ALSO:   Panic as locusts continue to wreak havoc

“She was a strong pillar for this country and mentored her children well. She did this because she believed that everyone needed to explore their gifts and realise their potential… her wise counsel will be missed by many,” she said.

Last week, in a message of condolence to the family, relatives and friends, President Uhuru Kenyatta described Mama Nyaithiru as a kind and hardworking woman who raised an outstanding family.

“Mama Victoria Nyaithiru was a God-fearing woman who believed that ultimately all good things are the result of a life of honesty, faith, and hard work,” said Uhuru.

Mr Kenyatta added that the reputation of the deceased could be seen in her children’s contribution to Kenya’s socio-economic transformation.

The head of state prayed to God to give the family of the departed matriarch fortitude and comfort at this difficult period of mourning.


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Lifestyle

‘My ex-wife is not my daughter’s mum,’ Pastor Burale clarifies November 23, 2020

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 1
  •  
  •  
  •  

Pastor Robert Burale mistake his ex-wife for being his daughter’s mother, which is not the case. He and Rozinah Mwakideu were married for a year before experiencing a public break up.

At the time, Burale already had his daughter.

“People were saying how can you fight like this and you have a child together. They brought my daughter into a situation where she is not.

“My ex wife is not my daughter’s mother. And many people make that mistake.”

Adding;

“It was public. When we broke up, we didn’t have the luxury of setting things in private, so it was us and many other people who took sides. I was judged as a preacher and a relationship coach. I went through bitterness, self pity, depression and then healing.”

Burale best dressed pastor

Five years later, Burale was triggered after his wife did an interview with a local media house.

“I handled it with a lot of pain. There was alot of bitterness and anger. I do believe my ex wife was misquoted in some of those things. Cause I know some of those things that were said she didn’t say.”

Since then, the relationship coach has kept his relationship on the low key.

READ ALSO:   Panic as locusts continue to wreak havoc

by Mpasho.co.ke


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 1
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Special Offer: Own one starting at Ksh 3.7M


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2020 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending