Connect with us

News

Autopsy on Ruto guard set for today

Published

on

Guards at the estate where an officer attached to the deputy president’s office used to live have said they last saw him three days before his body was found.

The six guards who were questioned by police yesterday said Sergeant Kipyegon Kenei was seen carrying mangoes on February 17 at about 4pm.

But they could not say whether any strange vehicles had driven into the estate or unknown people had accessed Kenei’s house in Villa Franca through two main gates.

“We don’t keep records of those coming in and out of the compound. We were shocked to learn about his death,” said an officer with knowledge of the investigation.

Kenei’s body was found in his house on February 20 with a gunshot wound to the head. A postmortem examination planned for today will hopefully shed more light on how he died.The guards were told they did not have to record statements until after the autopsy had been done.

Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) Director George Kinoti led a team of homicide detectives, doctors and a sketch artist back to the crime scene as investigations into the incident continue.

Kenei was scheduled to record a statement with the DCI on February 19 regarding an incident where former Sports Cabinet Secretary Rashid Echesa and his accomplices visited the second floor of Harambee House Annex and signed a fake Sh39 billion arms deal.The officer was in charge of security on that day and his death has thrown a wrench in the police investigation.

READ ALSO:   Slain officer sent money to father, wife at night

Junior officers

Five junior officers have recorded statements with the DCI and claimed they were instructed to grant Echesa and his guests access to the office.

Separately, Kenei’s father John Chesang has said the family will not make any burial arrangements until they know what happened to their son.“I will be at peace to bury my son if I know what caused his death, who was behind it and what action has been taken against those who plotted the death,” said Mr Chesang.

The retired chief said he suspected Kenei might have been tortured, threatened with death and killed, and his body later taken to his house to conceal evidence.“My son did not show any signs of committing suicide. I therefore want to know who he was with, his last movement and why was he killed.”

Speaking to The Standard at their home in Chamasis village, Rongai, Chesang said the family had not been allowed to view Kenei’s body, which is being preserved at the Chiromo mortuary in Nairobi.

BY The Standard 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Kajiado villagers chase visitors over coronavirus scare

Published

on

There was tension at a private farm at Duka Moja area in Kajiado Central after villagers surrounded it armed with sticks and rungus claiming that a group of unknown people had been ferried into the farm in the middle of the night.

The villagers claimed that eight women and five men were brought to work on the farm and were all sleeping in one tiny house in total disregard of social distancing in the wake of covid 19 outbreak.

They demanded that the ‘strangers’ be returned to where they came from as they were scared of Coronavirus being ‘brought’ into their village.

John Merin, a village elder said the group was sleeping in a poorly ventilated house and had no masks and if any of them had the virus it would easily spread in the village.

He added that the Government had directed that people should reduce unnecessary travels and work from home to curb the spread of the deadly virus yet the farm owner was bringing in groups of people to work in his farm without providing them with masks and sanitisers.

“We don’t want any visitors here, the Government said everyone should work from home so as to reduce the spread of the virus and yet people are being ferried from other places to come and work here in total disregard of the preventive measures issued,” said Merin.

READ ALSO:   Witnesses say there was a bullet hole in the roof of the house of dead DP office guard

Catherine Meroni, said the villagers had no problem with the group working at the farm but they were concerned that they all sleep in one tiny house and had no masks putting the whole village at risk of infection in case one of them is infected.

Meroni noted that there was no water or soap placed at the gate of the farm and people just walked in and out in total disregard of preventive measures laid out by the Ministry of Health.

“We have to protect ourselves and our children. We cannot allow just anyone to come here and we do not know whether they have Corona or not and yet they mingle with villagers. Everyone should stay home so as to reduce the spread of this disease,” she said.

However the farm manager claimed that the villagers were only protesting because they had not been employed and the jobs had been given to specialists who come from elsewhere.

It took the intervention of area MCA Samuel Teum to calm down the angry residents after being assured by the farm owner that the workers who had been brought in would be hosted elsewhere after working on the farm and sanitation facilities and masks would be provided.

READ ALSO:   Kenei was killed to scare me, claims DP Ruto

Kajiado County Commissioner Joshua Nkanatha urged residents to strictly adhere to directives issued by the Ministry of Health so as to avoid contracting the Coronavirus.

He directed all public facilities to ensure that they provide soap and water for their customers and ensure that they wash their hands first before being attended to.

“I want to urge all residents to strictly follow the guidelines given by the Ministry of Health on how to prevent the spread of the highly contagious virus. We will firmly deal with anyone flouting the guidelines and putting the lives of other Kenyans at risk,” said the CC.

Nkanatha noted that surveillance had been heightened at Namanga, Shomploe and Loitokitok entry points from Tanzania and all vehicles entering the country ferrying goods will have to undergo fumigation before being allowed to pass through.

The CC further emphasized that the curfew would be implemented and enforced to the letter and warned residents to ensure that they are in their houses by 7pm without fail.

“We are strictly implementing the curfew order. All persons must be inside their homes between 7PM to 5AM.Plan your time well so as not to be caught up in traffic as the curfew must be strictly obeyed. We will not allow any excuses,” he said

READ ALSO:   Deputy President: My last moments with Sgt Kenei

The CC revealed that Kajiado was fully prepared in case of any eventualities and that isolation centres had been established in all the five sub counties and 20 boarding schools identified as quarantine areas.

He added that a Multi-agency committee had already been formed to monitor the spread of the viral infection at the county and trace any persons suspected to have been in close contact with already confirmed positive cases.

By PD

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

VIDEO: Many Kenyans seek solace in Karura Forest during these tough Corona times

Published

on

In line with the Government directive on Social Distancing, the  Kenya Forest Service has suspended communal and cultural prayers in religious shrines inside inside forests countrywide.

One of those forests is Karura, well known as a haven for nature lovers, and especially those who want to enjoy their solitary time jogging, cycling and just walking. However, that too has changed now as the rules of social distancing take effect.

‘We do about 10Km as we keep social distancing and then go back home. The air is fresh over here,” says Bobby Kaberi, a former Atlanta resident.

“We miss those days when there were no social distancing rules and we were allowed to picnic but…it is what it is,” says Bobby’s wife and jogging partner,  Mugure Kaberi.”

Watch courtesy of K24

READ ALSO:   Kenei was killed to scare me, claims DP Ruto
Continue Reading

News

Don’t come home, Siaya people living out of county told

Published

on

Siaya Governor Cornel Rasanga has asked natives living in other counties not to travel back home due to Covid-19.

He warned that those defying the order will be traced and forced to pay for their own mandatory quarantine.

On Saturday, Rasanga announced several measures that the County will be taking to combat the spread of the Covid-19, including a mandatory 14-day quarantine for Siaya people coming into the county from any one of countries considered ‘high risk’.

The isolation centres are at Siaya/ Bondo KMTC campus and Bondo Hospital, but will be paid for by the citizens themselves.

“Any Siaya resident who travels back home must be armed with at least Sh28,000 for upkeep while on mandatory quarantine,” said Rasanga.

Rasanga while briefing Media at his Segere home, said it would be fair for Siaya people to keep off the region.

“We know that you love your families and would want to join them but your coming can put their lives in danger,” said Rasanga.

The governor who was accompanied by County Commissioner Michael Ole Tialal said whoever sneaks into the county would be flushed out of their homes or rented houses.

“If you escape the screening at the entry points, chiefs and their assistants will get you,” he added.

READ ALSO:   Witnesses say there was a bullet hole in the roof of the house of dead DP office guard

By PD

Continue Reading


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

February 2020
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
242526272829  
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!