Connect with us

News

Kenya to work with US in war against terrorism

Published

on

Kenya’s efforts to combat terrorism have received a boost following the partnership of American-based Federal Bureau of Investigation with the Directorate of Criminal Investigations. It has emerged that the FBI is set to establish the first Joint Terrorism Task Force outside the US, to be based in Kenya.

The first team of 42 Kenyan officers is already at the FBI Academy in Quantico, Virginia, where they will undergo training.Directorate of Criminal Investigations Director George Kinoti has hailed the FBI for working with Kenya to fight the war on terrorism.

“I appreciate the effort and resources the FBI and Department of State have dedicated towards improving the capabilities of our officers through training, experience, and insight,” he said.Due to globalisation and the advancement of technology, terrorists and their sympathisers have also changed tactics and devised new methods to further their agenda, said the DCI boss.

The FBI and Department of State announced they had partnered together to assist Kenya in creating the first Joint Terrorism Task Force (JTTF) to be located outside of the US. The initiative to establish the joint task force began after the Al Shabaab terrorist attack on the dusitD2 Hotel in Nairobi, Kenya, on January 16, last year.

READ ALSO:   Kenyan Speaker JB Muturi distances himself from "fake Tweet"

According to a statement from the FBI, there was a pressing need for a multi-agency task force that could be met through FBI’s training expertise combined with the State Department Bureau of Counter-terrorism’s capacity-building efforts.

“The FBI is proud to have the opportunity to work with our Kenyan law enforcement partners on this initiative,” said Assistant Director of the International Operations Division Charles Spencer.

“The first Kenyan JTTF will allow for a sharing of experience, knowledge, and capabilities that will enhance our shared commitment to countering terrorism around the world.”“For over two decades, the CT Bureau has supported Kenya’s efforts to improve its law enforcement capacity to defend its borders and become a counter-terrorism leader in East Africa,” said Ambassador Nathan Sales, the coordinator for counter-terrorism.

“The JTTF for Kenya will support the interagency approach required to successfully investigate and prosecute terrorists before they conduct attacks. I look forward to this unit standing up and the results that will surely come.”

Provide training

The 42 Kenyan investigators will receive a 12-week intensive training at the FBI Academy. The FBI will administer the curriculum and provide training with assistance from other agencies, as applicable, whereas the FBI and the CT Bureau will collaboratively assess the programme.

It is part of a comprehensive programme with Kenya to promote terrorism investigations and prosecutions, enhance crisis response, and strengthen border security.

READ ALSO:   Kenei: It was cold-blooded murder which was meticulously stage-managed, says DCI Kinoti

By Standard Media

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Lifestyle

Woman fined Sh50,000 & six months in prison for insulting lover’s wife

Published

on

A woman has been fined Sh50,000 for insulting his lover’s wife and provoking her to a fight while drunk.

In default, Saida Mohamed Amin, the convict, will spend six months in prison.

Senior resident magistrate Charles Mwaniki of Kibera law courts handed the sentence to her after she pleaded guilty to charges of offensive conduct.

She admitted that she visited Kush Apartments in Parklands on Sunday where the complainant Salima Mohammed Ismail resides while drinking alcohol from glass and used abusive words her.

Saida told Salima that they are co-wives and hurled insults at her but in courts, said she was not in her right senses at the time.

She pleaded for leniency claiming that she is jobless and a single mother of two.

The convict claimed she has a debt with her landlord as she has not paid rent for months and pleaded to be forgiven.

She was given 14 days to appeal the sentence.

By NN

READ ALSO:   Kenei: It was cold-blooded murder which was meticulously stage-managed, says DCI Kinoti
Continue Reading

News

Terror suspect arrested for threatening to kill DCI Kinoti 

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

A Nairobi woman who was recently arrested for sending letters laced with deadly chemicals to the Canadian embassy in Nairobi has yet again been found on the wrong side of the law.

Tracy Wairimu Ndegwa was arrested on Thursday, August 6, for threatening to kill the Director of Criminal Investigations (DCI) George Kinoti.

Wairimu is reported to have threatened to kill the DCI boss shortly after she was released to go for a mental checkup at DCI headquarters.

She was to be charged on Friday, August 7, but her arraignment coincided with her appointment at the Mathari Mental Hospital where she was to undergo mental checkup.

Like in the case of the Canadian embassy, the woman sent Kinoti letters containing a white powder and alleged he would die after inhaling the powder.

Prior to sending the letters laced with chemicals to the Canadian envoy Lisa Stadelbauer, Wairimu had been arraigned at Milimani Law Courts for threatening to kill another person and was released on KSh 50,000 bond.

She was to be charged before senior resident magistrate Charles Mwaniki of the Kibera Law Courts for threatening to kill Stadelbauer but the matter was postponed until August 24, 2020.

READ ALSO:   Suspects in fake gold scandal walk free

Her lawyer, Steve Ogolla, said she was an outpatient at Mathari but the prosecution said he had been making similar claims without furnishing courts with any documents to prove the same.

The suspect was released on KSh 100,000 bond and allowed to honour her appointment with the mental hospital until August 24 when she will be arraigned for the two offences of threatening to kill Kinoti and Stadelbauer.

Continue Reading

News

Sonko celebrates Elachi’s resignation 

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

Nairobi governor Mike Sonko seems to be in a celebratory mood after the resignation of Nairobi County Assembly Speaker Beatrice Elachi.

Moments after Elachi announced her resignation, Sonko posted several videos on his social media accounts that suggested that he was celebrating the exit of speaker.

In one of the worship songs he posted, Sonko captioned “Yuko Mungu Mbiguni Asikiaye Maombi yetu (There is God in Heaven who hears our prayers)”.

In another video, Sonko said that “We have seen your mighty hand Lord”, before he added another one with the infamous Jubilee Party supporters campaign slogan that “sio juju ni maombi (It’s not witchcraft, it’s prayers)”.

Sonko and Elachi have been at loggerheads, and at one time Elachi declared herself the governor after Sonko was barred from accessing his office.

Announcing her resignation today, Elachi accused Sonko of being one of the people after her life.

“Governor Sonko, you cannot go on threatening people’s lives and their families. You also have a family. You cannot have everything, just nurture what God has given you,” Elachi said in a statement.

Former Nairobi County Assembly Speaker Beatrice Elachi and Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko

READ ALSO:   Kenyan Speaker JB Muturi distances himself from "fake Tweet"
Continue Reading



Powered by DaysPedia.com

Current Time in Alexandria
014642am
Fri, August 7



poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2020 Calendar

February 2020
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
242526272829  
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!