Connect with us

News

Murder-suicide suspected as two Kenyans found dead in India are identified

Published

on

Two Kenyans, a man and a woman, who were on Tuesday found dead in their guest house in Gurugram, India have been identified.

Their bodies were found in the Paying Guest room, with the body of the man dangling in the toilet while the body of the woman lay on the floor.

The police identified the woman as Njogu Ruth Gathigia, 26, who worked as a teacher at Lancer International School in DLF Phase 5 and had come to India in August 2018 on an intern visa and worked with the primary wing of the international school.

The man was identified as one Mbaya David Kiogora, 34, also a Kenyan national, but police are yet to ascertain where he was working and for how long he was staying with the woman.

According to The Tribune, Ruth did her internship at the school for a year, between August 2018 and August 2019, after which she left. Police found passports of both in the room.

Neighbours told police that they had seen the man for the first time on February 15, in the company of the woman.

A strong smell

On Tuesday, the owner of the guesthouse called police, after employees reported a strong smell that emanated from the third-floor room number 304. When the door was opened, police found luggage scattered in the room.

The officers went to the toilet and found it locked from inside. On breaking its door, they found a half-naked body of Ruth lying on the floor while that of David was hanging with the geyser.

Staff at the guesthouse said Ruth was living alone in the room and David visited her on Saturday but the two did not leave the room.

Police are suspecting that the woman was strangled, as there were no external injuries, by the man who later hanged himself.

A team of officers also visited the school where the woman worked to get details about her and also to collect a copy of her visa. Police said that the woman was last seen entering the hostel on February 15 evening.

Her family members tried to contact her, but their calls went unanswered, following which the family members of the woman got suspicious and contacted her friends, who then visited the hostel on Monday and found her room locked from the inside.

Gurugram Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Preet Pal Singh said the Kenya embassy in India was informed about the incident. Police are waiting for the postmortem results of the two bodies as further investigation continue.

By NN

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Only 100 to attend Ndingi’s funeral

Published

on

Retired Catholic Archbishop Raphael Ndingi Mwana a’Nzeki will be buried in a private ceremony next week on Tuesday April 7, the church has announced.

Only about 100 people will be allowed to the ceremony, locking out politicians and even Catholic clergy and faithful, whom the late archbishop mentored and led for more than 60 years in priesthood.

According to a statement released Wednesday, a requiem mass will be held at the Holy Family Basilica from 10am followed by burial thereafter.

“It will be a private funeral ceremony. Nor more than 100 persons will be allowed at the funeral,” the press statement said.

This is aimed at ensuring strict observance of social distancing in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic which has so far infected 81 people and claimed one life in Kenya.

“Those participating will include representatives of the Mwana a’Nzeki family from Mwala area in Machakos County, Kenya Catholic Conference of Bishops, Diocese of Machakos, Diocese of Nakuru and the Archdiocese of Nairobi,” the statement said.

Since his consecration as a Bishop in 1969, Archbishop Ndingi served in Machakos, Nakuru and Nairobi before he retired in 2007.

It is not clear whether President Uhuru Kenyatta or his deputy William Ruto will attend the private ceremony, but the government will be represented.

The private ceremony, which will last for not more than one hour, will be televised live by some media stations to allow Catholic faithful and Kenyans at large to follow the proceedings.

Archbishop Mwana a’Nzeki, who was known for his boldness and firmness in fighting for people’s rights, was taken ill in the early hours of Tuesday at the archdiocesan clergy home in Nairobi, where he was residing, and rushed to Mater Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Sources told the Nation that he had been ailing for some time but was mostly suffering from age-related complications.

He is the only Catholic bishop in Kenya to have so far celebrated episcopal golden jubilee, after serving for 50 years as a bishop.

In 1969, Pope John Paul IV appointed him the bishop of Machakos at the age of 38 years, becoming the youngest bishop then.

People from his Kwa Nzeki village near Wamunyu market, which was renamed after him, celebrated their fallen son, saying he had accomplished his mission on earth of being a good cleric.

Even though it is understandable that the circumstances facing Kenya do not allow mass gatherings, many would have wished that the archbishop emeritus is accorded a befitting burial.

Dr Ezekiel Mutua, the chief executive officer of Kenya Film Classification Board, said the bishop was a towering and highly respected figure in Mwala and the entire Machakos County, just like he was nationally.

“There is never a right time to lose a loved one, but this is the wrong time for Archbishop Ndingi to leave us, rest in peace” Dr Mutua, a relative of Mwana a’Nzeki, said on Wednesday.

His sentiments were echoed by many other people from Machakos whom the Nation spoke to on Wednesday and who would have wished to attend his burial.

The firebrand cleric served for 24 years as the bishop of Nakuru, rising to national prominence and leaving a big mark in the history of Kenya.

With a larger than life image and a powerful human rights crusader, Mwana a’Nzeki remained a thorn in the flesh of the Kanu regime in Nakuru until June 1996 when he was transferred to Nairobi as a coadjutor.

Governors Alfred Mutua (Machakos), Charity Ngilu (Kitui) and Kivutha Kibwana (Makueni) eulogised him as a true servant of God who answered his calling as minister of the gospel and shepherd of humankind.

By Nation.co.ke

Continue Reading

News

Report: More than four million youths jobless

Published

on

At least one in every three Kenyan youths is jobless.

New unemployment data has revealed that more than four million youths have no jobs.

The first quarterly labour data released this week by the Kenya National Bureau of Statistics (KNBS) shows that 4,066,362 or 34.27 per cent of the 11.8 young Kenyans were jobless as of December last year, highlighting income inequality across demographics.

Young people are the hardest hit by joblessness, compared with those

above 35 years in an economic setting plagued by a hiring freeze on the back of sluggish corporate earnings.

“The youth aged 20-34 had the highest proportion (14.2 per cent) of the unemployed. On the other hand, those aged 60-64 years had negligible unemployment rates,” KNBS says in the Quarterly Labour Force Report.

The report will now be released quarterly, unlike in the past, when it was done annually.

Kenya’s years of strong economic growth have created jobs, but they are mostly low-paying, informal and coming at a slow rate. However, the State defines the unemployed as people who do not have a job and have actively been looking for one in recent weeks.

The government, therefore, puts the number of unemployed youth at 706,859, or 5.96 per cent of those aged between 20 and 34 in the last quarter of 2019. This was an improvement from 830,202, or 7.14 per cent, recorded in the first quarter of 2019.

The government’s definition of unemployment means that about 3.3 million jobless people between the ages of 18 and 34 are not actively looking for work.

Informal sector

KNBS data also shows that 86.52 per cent of the 9,115,152 Kenyans aged between 35 and 60 were employed in the last quarter of 2019 period.

About 762,200 jobs were created in 2018, when the economy expanded by 6.3 per cent, outperforming the global and regional averages. However, about 90 per cent of the new jobs were in the informal sector, where pay is not clearly structured.

Official data shows that 78,400 new formal jobs were created in 2018 compared to 114,400 in 2017, the Economic Survey 2019 data shows. Incomes from such jobs are structured, as these workers also fall within the taxable bracket.

Job creation in 2017 represented the slowest pace of formal job growth since 2012 when the economy churned out 75,000 new formal job opportunities.

The youth aged 20-34 had the highest proportion (14.2pc) of the unemployed.”

Continue Reading

News

US scholar says two-metre distance too short

Published

on

A US professor has dismissed the two-metre distance rule as not enough to give protection from Covid-19, saying it is based on old science.

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology researcher, Prof Lydia Bouroiba, said the two-metre “social distancing” recommendation is too close – and that to avoid the virus, people have to keep much farther – possibly eight metres.

“Although such social distancing strategies are critical in the current time of pandemic, it may seem surprising that the current understanding of the routes of hostto-host transmission in respiratory infectious diseases are predicated on a model of disease transmission developed in the 1930s that, by modern standards, seems overly simplified,” Prof Bouroiba says in her paper published in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

She also warns that besides the cough and sneeze droplets, people have to be wary of “turbulent gas cloud” that traps and carries within it the virus.

“The locally moist and warm atmosphere within the turbulent gas cloud allows the contained droplets to evade evaporation for much longer than occurs with isolated droplets. Under these conditions, the lifetime of a droplet could be considerably extended by a factor of up to 1,000, from a fraction of a second to minutes,” says the professor who studies the fluid dynamics of disease transmission.

While her research had previously focused on flu, she says the current six-feet guideline is based on an assumption that viruses are transmitted only through droplets from coughs or sneezes.

The researcher says that there is not enough data on how the virus is spreading. At the moment, transmission is classified into large droplets, which fall closer to the affected person and smaller droplets, which evaporate before settling on a surface and which can be carried farther by the wind. The scholar says a powerful sneeze can send droplets flying more than the recommended two metres and that a gas cloud with the droplets can travel seven to eight metres.

“Moreover, throughout the trajectory, droplets of all sizes settle out or evaporate at rates that depend not only on their size, but also on the

degree of turbulence and speed of the gas cloud, coupled with the properties of the environment (temperature, humidity and airflow).”

She says that “droplets that settle along the trajectory can contaminate surfaces, while the rest remain trapped and clustered in the moving cloud.”

“Eventually the cloud and its droplet payload lose momentum and coherence, and the remaining droplets within the cloud evaporate, producing residues or droplet nuclei that may stay suspended in the air for hours, following airflow patterns imposed by ventilation or climate- control systems,” she says.

Whether ventilation systems are also helping spread the virus is not known, but she says that a 2020 report from China “demonstrated that SARS-CoV-2 particles could be found in the ventilation systems in hospital rooms of patients with Covid-19”.

While the WHO is currently recommending that healthcare workers should stay one metre from a person exhibiting coronavirus symptoms, the researcher says that “these distances are based on estimates of range that have not considered the possible presence of a high-momentum cloud carrying the droplets long distances.”

“For these and other reasons, wearing of appropriate personal protection equipment is vitally important for healthcare workers caring for patients who may be infected, even if they are farther than six feet away from a patient,” Prof Bouroiba says.

On whether masks can help filter the virus, she says they can reduce the spread from an infected person and for protection of the wearer.

But White House has dismissed her findings: “I’m sorry, but I was disturbed by that report because that’s misleading,” said Dr Anthony Fauci, a member of the White House task force.

For these and other reasons, wearing of appropriate personal protection equipment is vitally important for healthcare workers.”

By Daily Nation

Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!