Connect with us

News

Mzee Moi had spent almost 112 days at city hospital on life support

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

At 5.20am Tuesday, former President Daniel Toroitich arap Moi, the man who bestrode Kenya’s politics for decades, died at Nairobi Hospital after ailing for several months.

The Nation has learnt that Mzee Moi had spent almost 112 days (about four months) at the hospital on life support.

Over the last three-and-a-half months, a team of doctors charged with the responsibility of managing him worked under the hawk-eyed supervision of intelligence security officers and Baringo Senator Gideon Moi, who always sought to know what treatment, procedure, or medication was being administered.

“It was a stressful period for everyone at the hospital,” a doctor whose identity the Nation is not revealing for confidentiality reasons, said. “His health was handled in a very secretive way. There were a lot of National Intelligence Service operatives at the Intensive Care Unit.”

When he was first taken ill and admitted to Nairobi Hospital for what the family said was a routine check-up in October last year, the nation was thrown into speculation mode, even though the family insisted he was Ok.

Moi, who was in a critical condition, never left the Sh60,000-a-night North Wing ward bed at the hospital.

The late President never underwent any procedure without the knowledge or authorisation of his primary physician, Dr David Silverstein, who was Moi’s personal doctor and confidante for more than 36 years.

On October 25, he was diagnosed with a left large pleural effusion — a lung condition characterised by fluid build-up outside the lungs — which worsened his already ill health. After prolonged intubation — a procedure used to place a flexible plastic tube into the trachea (windpipe) to maintain an open airway or serve as a conduit through which to administer certain drugs — Dr Silverstein called in an ear, nose, and throat (ENT) surgeon to perform a tracheostomy, to help Moi breathe after developing breathing complications.

A tracheostomy is a surgically created hole, also called a stoma, in the windpipe that provides an alternative airway for breathing. During this period, the former President’s health deteriorated so much that he had to be resuscitated multiple times.

In mid-December, still on life-support, Moi was diagnosed with what our source described as severe gastrointestinal bleeding, which led to multiple organ failure.

READ ALSO:   See the updated arrangements leading to Moi's funeral

Our source further said that he was not being treated for any chronic condition, as there were no positive confirmations as to whether he had diabetes or hypertension, which present with some of the symptoms he showed.

For most of his life, Moi’s health was a closely-guarded secret. During his presidency, he was depicted as the man on the move, oozing vitality and verve. Moi was only officially taken ill once, when he flew to Israel for an eye check-up. He later castigated the opposition for suggesting that he had died.

But for the last four months in Nairobi Hospital’s North Wing, which has three presidential suites, President Moi battled with health problems that his family, and the State, kept secret. At best, they said that Mr Moi was in hospital for a “routine check-up”, while at worst, and of late, they opted for silence, avoiding to disclose the full extent of his condition.

Moi enjoyed relatively good health, for a man his age, and only started having health problems after he left the presidency. A man who surprised many with his agility, he started having health trouble as a result of a motor vehicle accident on July 30, 2006, when his Range Rover collided with a pick-up truck near Limuru’s Rukuma View Point.

While Moi underwent surgery on January 27, 2017 at Aga Khan Hospital in Nairobi to correct the knee problem, this became a constant bother, although he never agreed, at least in public, to use a walking aid.

In the last two weeks, President Moi’s health deteriorated, forcing family members and close allies to have a closed-door meeting with senior government officials, and later with President Uhuru Kenyatta, on how to handle the aftermath, the State funeral and the role of the military.

As the longest serving Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, Moi’s burial will be conducted by the military, and yesterday at Lee Funeral Home, military police took over as the choreographed mourning period started.

Early in the morning, State House sent a proclamation announcing the death and ordered national flags to be flown at half-mast, a 17th Century tradition that signifies grieving and death of an icon.

READ ALSO:   Why Moi fell in love with Nakuru

Later, at Harambee House, Interior minister Fred Matiang’i chaired a meeting with Chief of Defence Forces Gen Samson Mwathethe, Defence Cabinet Secretary Monica Juma, Inspector-General of Police Hillary Mutyambai and Principal Secretary Karanja Kibicho, as it emerged that a State funeral committee will be chaired by the State House-based Head of Public Service, Joseph Kinyua.

The Harambee House meeting was also attended by Baringo Senator Gideon Moi, who has in the last decade emerged as the Moi family pointman.

With President Kenyatta out of the country — he had travelled to the US to attend a breakfast prayer meeting — it was the central administration and the military which appeared to have taken over the planning of the funeral, with the Deputy President William Ruto playing second fiddle.

While the DP called a press conference at Harambee Annex, where he described the late President Moi as a reformer who submitted himself to presidential term limits, he was interestingly not flanked by any government officials or Moi family members. He later left for Lee Funeral Home where President Moi’s body is being preserved and then flew to Kakamega, where 13 schoolchildren had died on Monday evening.

Later in the evening, the DP went to Kabarnet Gardens where Gideon, his Rongai MP brother Raymond and former Chief of General Staff, Gen Lazarus Sumbeiywo, were holding a meeting. Gen Sumbeiywo and Gen Daudi Tonje have been entrusted by the Moi family as the linkmen with the military, which is spearheading the State funeral.

Whether or not succession politics is at play in the funeral arrangements is not clear — but, according to a tweet by the Interior ministry, the President had instructed Mr Kinyua to lead the funeral arrangements.

It has not been lost to observers that Dr Ruto and Gideon Moi are not the best of friends and when the former President was ailing, and after the death of his eldest son Jonathan in April last year, the DP sidestepped visiting Kabarak, the official residence of the Moi family — thanks to the supremacy wars between him and Gideon.

For the last three years, President Moi had started missing major public events — and when political figures went to see him at his Kabarak home, he would be photographed sitting down; at most with a distant look. He also had added some weight, which made him walk with difficulty.

READ ALSO:   Lee Njiru: Moi was 102 and not 96

Although Mr Moi had been flown to Ichilov Hospital in Tel Aviv, Israel in March 2018 — aboard a chartered plane in the company Dr Silverstein and his son Gideon — it now appears that he had more problems than the knee complication.

Dr Silverstein said then that the Moi family was “eager to have a second opinion on the knee, which has been a source of discomfort to him (Moi)”.

Later, Gideon made the first admission that Moi was, indeed, unwell: “The old man is not feeling well. He will go for medical check-up (and) needs your prayers as he leaves the country.”

During the October 26, 2017 election, Moi did not leave his car at the Kabarak University polling station. Instead, he cast his vote from the car with the assistance of a polling clerk, which was a clear sign that the old man had a mobility problem.

On December 12, 2018, President Moi was again admitted at Nairobi Hospital with a “bout of flu” with Dr Silverstein saying the former Head of State would spend a couple of nights in the hospital to accord doctors ample time to carry out their analysis. Mr Moi left hospital on Monday December 17, 2018.

On September 2, 2018, Moi celebrated his 94th birthday at a private function at his Kabarak home, flanked by his children and grandchildren.

It was after the death of his eldest son, Jonathan, that Moi’s health status started to become a source of worry after he was unable to attend the open ceremony held at his home in Kabarak. Instead, he watched the burial ceremony from a screen.

Moi usually took photos with dignitaries who had gone to condole with him while seated on a wheelchair. The death of President Moi has left a legacy of a man whose health scares were little-known.

By nation.co.ke


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

How top-level meeting allowed Radisson hotel to block Arboretum road

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Arboretum park lane has become the latest public road to have a barrier erected, much to the chagrin of many Nairobi residents.

Anyone who wishes to access the Nairobi Arboretum park, Kenya Forest Service, State House, State House Primary School, Kenya Girl Guides Association, Jabali Elementary School as well as the Radisson Blu hotel will have to pass through the Arboretum park lane.

The erection of the barrier left Nairobi Senator Johnson Sakaja seething with rage. And he registered his disapproval on social media.

“The Nairobi Arboretum is a public space that many Nairobians enjoy. The road leading up to it is also a public road. A private entity (Radisson) has put up a barrier on this public road where members of the public are screened. I have asked @NMS_Kenya to deal ASAP,” Sakaja wrote on Twitter.

He then warned Radisson hotel to remove the barrier.

Nation.Africa can, however, confirm that the barrier was erected after meetings of stakeholders and the Westlands sub-county security team.

Arboretum park lane has become the latest public road to have a barrier erected.

Amina Wako | Nation Media Group

The stakeholders, who included State House, Kenya Forest Service Arboretum, Jabali Elementary, Kenya Girl Guides Association, National Police Service and Radisson Blu requested to have the barrier erected for security reasons.

The conversation to have the barrier started after the January 2019 DusitD2 complex attack.

READ ALSO:   See the updated arrangements leading to Moi's funeral

The boda-boda operators who camped outside the Arboretum entrance waiting for or dropping clients visiting the park also worried them.

As the conversation was going on, in July 2019, an intruder was shot and injured after he climbed over one of the State House gates.

The need to have a barrier became even more urgent.

So, they contacted the Kenya Urban Roads Authority (Kura) and they were allowed to erect the barrier.

“We are aware of the barrier. We allowed it there because of the security reasons raised by the stakeholders. Remember it is not a throughway, so it is important to know who goes in and comes out to avoid incidents like the State House intruder,” John Cheboi, the chief corporate communications officer at Kura, said.

Thereafter, the stakeholders, through Leisure Park Development Limited — the mother company of Radisson Blu Hotel — on December 10, 2019, wrote to Nairobi City County about the proposed erection of the security barrier.

And, on January 17 this year, the county replied granting permission for the work to begin.

“Authority to erect 1 No. security barrier to serve Plot L.R. No. 1870/X/106 on Arboretum Drive is hereby granted to you subject to compliance with the following conditions…” the letter, signed on February 17, 2020 by the Nairobi Chief Officer, Roads, Public Works and Transport, Eng. F.N. Karanja, read in part.

READ ALSO:   PHOTOS: Have a look at Moi's Kabarnet Gardens home

The council also acknowledged receiving Sh10,000 inspection fees for the work.

The work was, however, postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic, which was first reported in Kenya in March this year.

What followed next was government restrictions to curb the spread of the virus.

According to Edward Momanyi, the Food and Beverage Manager at Radisson Blu, the Sub-County Security Committee visited the hotel in September and spelt out conditions for erecting the barrier.

“The team, led by Westlands Deputy County Commissioner Mwai Gicheru, visited the area in September. They cited the conditions as a bulletproof guard booth, two armed police officers, and two security guards,” Mr Momanyi told Nation.Africa.

Because of the cost implications, the stakeholders met again on November 11, 2020, at the hotel.

“We invited everyone around this area including State House. We discussed the cost of setting up the barrier, bulletproof guard booth, two armed police officers and two security guards and how it would be shared among ourselves,” Mr Momanyi said.

But council warned that should any member of the public or residents along the Arboretum park lane object to the erection of the barrier, the barrier will be removed.

“That you be required to bind yourselves to the conditional clause of removing the barrier should the Nairobi City County receive reasonable objection to the barrier from one or more area residents or other members of the public,” the letter read in part.

READ ALSO:   'Pole Mzee'... words that melted Moi

“You shall indemnify the Nairobi City County against any litigation that may arise as a result of these works,” read one of the nine conditions set by Nairobi City County.

“This approval is valid if the works commence and are completed within three months,” it further said.

Arboretum becomes the latest public road to have obstacles.

In September this year, Muthaiga Residents Association mounted a roadblock restricting access to the suburb by boda-boda operators, commercial vehicles and pedestrians.

An email from the association’s secretariat, dated September 22, said the move was due to security reasons.

“No motorbikes and commercial vehicles are allowed to enter Main Muthaiga Road from Oil Libya Plaza, Kiambu Road and from Mini Muthaiga Round-about including house-helps, construction site employees,” read the email signed by Christine Chiriba, for the secretariat.

Further, residents were asked to provide details of their employees, including job card or a letter indicating the name of the staffer, ID number, plot or house number, employer and their contact number.

In 2014, the county assembly moved a motion to remove barriers erected on public roads by the Runda Residents Association.

by Nationafrica


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Lifestyle

TRAGIC: Woman kills self after realising hubby’s plan to get second wife

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

A 38-year-old woman has committed suicide in Migori after learning that her husband had a secret lover he was planning to marry.

According to police reports, the body of Pamela Atieno was found dangling from the roof of her house on Friday morning at their rural home in Kameji sub-location, Rongo sub-county.

Chief John Agoro who reported the incident to Rongo Police Station said that Atieno took her life after she learnt that her husband was planning to marry a second wife.

“The deceased reportedly differed with her husband after she learned that he had another lover and was planning to marry her as a second wife,” said Agoro.

Atieno is reported to have left a suicide note to her husband before taking her life.

“I have decided to die because of your secret plan to (marry) another wife,” the suicide note read in part.

Never differed

Michael Ondito, the woman’s husband, however, denied arguing with Atieno, adding that he had gone to the farm only to come and find his wife had killed herself.

“I was called when I was at the farm in the morning but upon reaching home I found the body of my wife hanging on a rope on our doorstep, I was surprised because we had not quarrelled or fought,” said Onditi.

READ ALSO:   See the updated arrangements leading to Moi's funeral

Chief Agoro, however, condemned the action saying people should find other ways of solving family differences.

“Domestic problems should not lead to people killing themselves. We are supposed to look for guidance and counselling experts,” the administrator said.

Rongo police boss Peter Okiring while confirming the incident said police received the information and went there to collect the body which was transferred to Rosewood Hospital’s morgue.

“We have launched our investigation into the matter but we are yet to confirm the reason why the deceased committed suicide,” said Okiring.

BY Standardmedia.co.ke


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Terence’s wife Milly Chebby savagely attacks troll who called her a hippo

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Terence Creative’s wife Milly Chebby is tired of body-shamers. She’s not giving them a room to pin her down with their negativity.

Well, the mother of one has savagely clapped back at a fan who compared her to a hippopotamus. The fan, identified as Winfred, body-shamed Milly, offering to help her reduce her tummy.

‘Kuja nikuuzie dawa ya kumaliza tumbo 🤔’

Chebby savagely responded and she wrote

‘Uzia mamako.’

Chebby vs troll

Winfred went ahead to troll the YouTuber, comparing her to a hippo.

‘hippopotamus binguni utapata mwili mpya,’ Winfred posted.

The plus-size media personality responded and she wrote,

@wi.nfred3517 Kuja na real account tukuone Beyonce huyu hippo ako tu sawa hivi 🖕.

Milly Chebby

by Mpasho.co.ke


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
READ ALSO:   How international media reported Moi’s death
Continue Reading

Special Offer: Own one starting at Ksh 3.7M


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2020 Calendar

February 2020
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
242526272829  
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending