Connect with us

News

Olekina: I’m a radical rights defender, not a tribal warlord

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

“I am an extremist for freedom and liberty and radical for the gentles’”

That was Narok Senator Ledama Olekina  in an interview with Spice FM this morning.During the morning talk show Situation Room hosted by Charles Muga, Eric Latiff and Ndu Odoh, Olekina explains his utterances during the Saturday’s Building Bridges Initiative rally in Narok on Saturday.

The youthful senator stirred the audience when he said that the Maa people had been sidelined and their plight needed to be addressed.Olekina called on the BBI steering committee to solve the land issues in the Maasai-dominated areas such as Narok, so that the local people could maintain a steady income.“On matters of food security, what will our people eat if you take our land? They must remain as agricultural land, use legitimate process if you want to subdivide them,” said Olekina.

“So long as I live, I will pursue justice for these people who I represent,” he said.His utterances, which had already lit debate in social media got the backing of Kakamega Senator Cleopas Malala and Suna East Member of Parliament Junet Mohammed. Malala, for instance, said that Maasai people needed to have a chance to produce more leaders in their areas for inclusivity.

READ ALSO:   BREAKING: Senator Ledama ole Kina arrested

“If we Luhyas in Western Kenya lead our people, and it happens in other communities as well, why don’t the Maasai people be given the opportunity to produce their leaders? It is not fair to fight for their few seats,” said Malala.Their statements ignited even more dissent especially from leaders drawn from North Rift areas.

War of words

Kericho Governor Paul Chepkwony yesterday lashed at Mr Olekina’s sentiments.Chepkwony said that even though the plight of the Maasai was an issue of concern to be addressed, it would not be a wise move to violate the rights of legal landowners.

He said that Olekina’s sentiments amounted to warmongering.“We call upon the president to intervene as the trend is leading the country in the wrong direction,” he said.Nakuru Governor Lee Kinyanjui also added his voice terming the leaders’ statements at the BBI meeting as retrogressive.

“Utterances attributed to a section of leaders during the Narok BBI meeting in relation to non-indigenous land owners and reclaiming land across three counties were ill-advised,” said Kinyanjui.But, Senator Olekina remained unfazed and said that he was being misunderstood.

He said he was fighting for the rights of his constituents whom he described as ‘children of a lesser god.’He said: “BBI has given us an opportunity to come out and air our problems. If people are not willing to handle the truth when we say ‘this is our problem’ then they don’t live in the 21st century.”

READ ALSO:   Senators Beatrice Kwamboka and Mary Seneta exchange blows during Senate Health Committee elections
Narok Senator Ledama Ole Kina, Kirinyaga Governor Anne Waiguru, Kitui Governor Charity Ngilu and Makueni Governor Kivutha Kibwana at Narok Stadium during BBI meeting in Narok. [Kipsang Joseph, Standard]

Clearing the air

While explaining his utterances, which have been considered to be inciting, Olekina said that he was rather championing for re-look of land policy and not barring non-locals from settling in Maasai regions.He said that contrary to how his critics perceive him, he is not against any particular community. “I have no problem with the Kipsigis in fact I have eight people from Kipsigis community working in my farm,” he said.

He argued that non-locals were buying land meant for agriculture, subdividing it and selling the same to make huge profits. For example, he said that in interior places, some people could buy land for as low as Sh70,000 per acre then they subdivide and sell for at least Sh350,000 per acre.Olekina said that the practice was denying locals economic progress the subdivided land cannot accommodate a huge population.

He also argued that pastoralists ended up restricted they cannot move to seek for pasture.“If you want 20 acres, use it to grow food so that we can buy it from you,” he stated.

He accused Kericho Governor Paul Chepkwony and his Senator Aaron Cheruiyot of applying double standards in handling issues.“Those people who are still in their tribal cocoons keep pointing fingers at me. Why should a governor of Kericho call a press conference and say this guy is a tribal warlord?” he posed.“The big communities do not want to hear about inclusivity if it touches them. But as long as it doesn’t touch them, they are ok.

READ ALSO:   BREAKING: Senator Ledama ole Kina arrested

”He accused a section of North Rift leaders, whom he did not name, of hypocrisy. He claimed that same leaders relentlessly fought for one of their own to be installed as the vice chancellor of Moi University, but conversely, pointed fingers at him.“I am not fighting the other tribes…They were up in arms fighting for one of them to be the vice-chancellor at the university,” he stated.

Supporting Sen Olekina on the land policy question was a former Permanent Secretary who also vied for the Presidency in 2013 Prof Joseph Ole Kiyiapi.Prof Kiyiapi said Ole Kina “is being criticised for not being politically correct at JKLive but in fact, he provided deep insights of sentiments at core of tribalism in Kenya. True national cohesion must be based on the deeply ingrained culture of inclusivity and integration programs,” he tweeted on February 21.

By Standard


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Lifestyle

VIDEO: Media personality’s Mzungu hubby forced to apologize to wife over trolls following their ‘Love story’ TV interview

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 2
  •  
  •  
  •  

Carolina Carlz and Mzungu hubby, Troy William had a candid interview done on Ebru TV about months ago. The detailed interview shed light on how they met and fell in love to a point of starting a family together.

Well, unlike most women dating Caucasian men these two did not meet on a dating app; but bumped into each other at Sarit center – and just like any other love story…the rest is history.

Download More Music

However their interview with Ebru TV may have left fans with the wrong impression about Carolina Carlz. As seen on the comment section it appears that most felt that the media personality came too strong; after asking her white man whether he would marry her.

Of course he has plans but since he did not reveal when. This however left Carolina looking like she was pushing him into marriage – but come on! Can’t a person have a sense of humor even when it comes to marriage? https://youtu.be/6m1IkOmUPZM

Kenyans attack

Well, there are those who had been waiting for such an opportunity in order to attack Carolina Carlz. From the comments on YouTube, clearly the fans left no stones unturned as they attacked the mother of one.

READ ALSO:   BREAKING: Senator Ledama ole Kina arrested

Probably the husband had no idea on how Kenyans react to such posts; hence their latest vblog where he issued an apology; for making his wife look bad and creating a platform for critics to attack her.

As seen on the video the Troy went on apologizing to his lovely wife; hence shutting down rumors claiming that his wife is clingy, pushy or desperate for marriage. It is no secret that they are different but at the end of the day; they still love each other.

Watch the video below.


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 2
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Paul Walker’s heartbreaking autopsy and grim details that aroused daughter’s suspicions

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 2
  •  
  •  
  •  

Seven years ago today, Hollywood actor Paul Walker had enjoyed a fun-filled day with friends at a charity fundraiser in Los Angeles. Little did the Fast and Furious star know that when he agreed to take a spin in friend Roger Rodas’ 2005 Porsche Carrera GT, the ride would be his last.

The car ploughed into a concrete lamppost at high speed, tearing the vehicle almost in half and killing both Paul, 40, and Roger in an inferno of mangled wreckage. Helpless witnesses tried to extinguish the molten fireball that enveloped the car, but the flames could not be stopped. Given the horror of the crash, many believed father-of-one Paul must have been killed instantly.

But his autopsy revealed a heartbreaking fact – traces of soot were found in Paul’s windpipe, meaning he’d still been breathing as the fire raged. Furthermore, the report detailed how Paul’s body was so badly burned that he could only be identified by dental records and his charred organs were too damaged for donation. Meanwhile, Roger’s skull was fractured and the top part missing, leaving his brain exposed.

Paul Walker and his daughter Meadow. (Courtesy)

The coroner found no evidence of drink or drug use and recorded a verdict of death by “combined effects of traumatic and thermal injuries.” But Paul’s daughter Meadow didn’t agree and filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Porsche, claiming her father initially survived the crash and could have escaped but was trapped by his seatbelt.

READ ALSO:   Senators Beatrice Kwamboka and Mary Seneta exchange blows during Senate Health Committee elections

According to the lawsuit, which was obtained by TMZ and vigorously contested by Porsche, Paul was alive for one minute and 20 seconds after impact but couldn’t get out because the seatbelt “snapped Walker’s torso back with thousands of pounds of force, thereby breaking his ribs and pelvis”.!

Lawyers claimed it had taken a whole minute for the fire to break out, giving Paul ample time to make his escape. They also alleged the car lacked sufficient door reinforcements and that manufacturers hadn’t used fuel lines that break free to prevent a fire in a crash.

The lawsuit claimed: “Absent these defects in the Porsche Carrera GT, Paul Walker would be alive today.”

But Porsche defended itself stating Paul was a “knowledgeable and sophisticated user” of the sports car and argued: “The perils, risk, and danger were open and obvious and known to him, and he chose to conduct himself in a manner so as to expose himself to such perils, dangers, and risks, thus assuming all the risks involved in using the vehicle.”

The battle was resolved in 2017 when the wrongful death lawsuit was withdrawn and a settlement reached although the terms have never been disclosed.

By Standard.co.ke


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 2
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Lupita, others pay tribute to Chadwick Boseman on what would have been his 44th birthday

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Oscar award winning actress Lupita Nyong’o is among celebrities and fans who paid tribute to late actor Chadwick Boseman on his would be 44th birthday.

The Black Panther star was 43 when he lost his four-year battle with colon cancer on August 28, 2020

Boseman was diagnosed with stage three colon cancer in 2016, according to a post on his Twitter account announcing the actor’s death.

Lupita, who played Boseman’s love interest in the “Black Panther”, shared a picture of herself and Boseman with the caption, “Deeply loved, sorely missed. #ChadwickBoseman.”

Disney honoured Boseman with a “Black Panther” themed Marvel Studios logo.

The redesigned logo could be seen by those watching “Black Panther” on Disney’s streaming platform, Disney+.

Marvel Studios further shared a video of the logo on Twitter.

Disney honoured Boseman with a “Black Panther” themed Marvel Studios logo.

The redesigned logo could be seen by those watching “Black Panther” on Disney’s streaming platform, Disney+.

Marvel Studios further shared a video of the logo on Twitter.

Actor and producer Mark Ruffalo shared a behind-the-scenes video of the cast and crew singing happy birthday to Boseman during the filming of a Marvel film. “Happy Birthday”, he captioned the video, “Thinking of your passion, love, and your light today @chadwickboseman Happy Birthday. Wishing we could time travel back to this moment.”

READ ALSO:   Senators Beatrice Kwamboka and Mary Seneta exchange blows during Senate Health Committee elections

Rapper and actor Common tweeted “Happy Birthday King. God Bless You. Thank you for using your gift to bring light to this world. RIP.”

Many others also wished the late actor a happy birthday posthumously.


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Special Offer: Own one starting at Ksh 3.7M


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2020 Calendar

February 2020
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
242526272829  
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending