Connect with us

News

Wuhan hospital director dies of coronavirus

Published

on

A hospital director at the epicentre of China’s virus epidemic died Tuesday, state media said, the latest medical worker to fall victim to the coronavirus which has spread across the country.

The Covid-19 virus, which is believed to have originated in Wuhan late last year, has spread to more than 72,000 people and killed 1,900 in China.

Liu Zhiming, the director of Wuchang Hospital in Wuhan, died Tuesday morning after “all-out rescue efforts failed,” state broadcaster CCTV reported.

He is the first known hospital director to have died from the coronavirus.

At least six other medical workers have died from the virus, while 1,716 have been infected, according to official figures.

Liu’s death was initially reported by Chinese media and bloggers shortly after midnight on Tuesday — but the stories were later deleted and replaced with reports that doctors were still attempting to save him.

The hospital director’s death has echoes of the death of Wuhan ophthalmologist Li Wenliang, who had been punished by authorities for sounding the alarm about the virus in late December.

Li’s death prompted a national outpouring of grief as well as anger against the authorities, who were accused of mishandling the crisis.

People took to social media once more to mourn Liu on Tuesday, with many users on the Twitter-like Weibo platform drawing comparisons between Liu’s death and Li’s, which was also initially reported by state media and then denied hours before being finally confirmed again.

READ ALSO:   Families want loved ones in Wuhan evacuated

Doctors in Wuhan face shortages of masks and protective bodysuits, with some even wearing makeshift hazmat suits and continuing to work despite showing respiratory symptoms, because of a lack of medical staff, health workers have said.

by nation.co.ke

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

Jiweke Tavern owner collapses, dies in his house

Published

on

Jiweke Tavern Restaurant owner John Keige has died.

The city tycoon collapsed and died outside outside his home in Nyari Estate, Nairobi.

He was quickly rushed to Nairobi Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

According to his domestic employees, Keige had just completed taking lunch, and decided to take a walk but collapsed moments after getting out of his house.

“Boss had just finished having lunch when he decided to go jogging. A few steps outside the gate, he collapsed,” One of his workers told The Standard.

Confirming the businessman’s sudden death, Keige’s sister Elizabeth Keige said his brother died on Tuesday afternoon, July 7 and he will be laid to rest on Tuesday, July 14.

He will be burried at a private funeral at the family rural home at Muruka in Kandara, Murang’a county.

Rumours had it that the tycoon died from COVID-19 but his doctor dismissed the claims saying he died of a heart attack.

Jiweke Tavern is located off Ngong Road in Nairobi.

In April, the entertainment joint made headlines after it reportedly refused to host a group of atheists on Easter Weekend.

The club is hailed for its consistent good service provision from the bartender to the bouncers.

READ ALSO:   Students stuck in China city are safe, says State
Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Amani welcomes 1st child 10 months after miscarriage

Published

on

Gospel singer Cecilia Wairimu alias Amani together with her Nigerian husband Chinasa Udeala have welcomed their first child.

On Saturday, the singer revealed how she had a miscarriage in 2019 which broke her heart because she had been trying to have a baby for a while.

She shared an old picture on her Instagram page and narrated how extremely sad and disappointed she was but chose not to give up despite the challenges.

“When I took this picture last year, I was pregnant but lost it. It hurt but in that moment I chose not to grumble or murmur or get angry. Though disappointed, I chose not to give up and lose faith,” the singer said.

Despite the miscarriage, she said that she was still hopeful that she can still conceive.

“I had conceived after failing to conceive for a while. So I realized that my season had come and it was just a matter of time. I thanked God in advance and the following month I conceived again and this time the pregnancy was sustained.”

“Today I hold my gift from God in my arms. My baby. It is still so surreal. Yahweh is a faithful God who is always on time. All the glory goes back to him,” she said.

READ ALSO:   How the coronavirus has shaken global sport

During her days in the secular world, the award-winning artiste featured in some of the best known Kenyan songs with the likes of Nameless in the song Ninanokiand also released Tamani, Missing my Baby and Tonight.

In 2010, she was featured in a song written and produced by R Kelly, Hands Across the World. Other artists who were featured in the song include Ali Kiba, Fally Ipupa, 2face Idibia and Navio.

Amani later transitioned to gospel music and went on to release songs such as Upendo and Jina Lake Yesu.

By NN

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

How once vibrant Nakuru estates have turned into criminal dens

Published

on

In the good old days, Kivumbini, Kaloleni, Flamingo, Paul Machanga, Baharini and Ojuka estates in Nakuru town were the most sought after residential areas for low income earners.

This was for a good reason.

Unlike other estates, these had all the amenities including round-the-clock water supply at a subsidised cost and a consistent supply of electricity.

Garbage collection was done weekly, making the estates some of the cleanest in Nakuru town, perhaps one of the reasons why it was regarded the cleanest in the region.

In addition, the houses were repainted at least twice a year and security was guaranteed with massive street lights strategically placed.

Residents of the golden 1980s and early 1990s era also remember well-maintained playgrounds for their children.

Over time, however, heaps of garbage started to appear and today, they have the areas an eyesore.

The estates are now a case study of poor planning and the social and economic implications have made life more difficult for residents.

Thanks to a booming population that has eaten up all the open spaces once reserved for backdoor gardening, makeshift iron sheet structures are a common sighting as some youths live in cubicles away from the parents they shared bedsitters with.

In the estates have arisen some of the deadliest gangs in Nakuru town, including one known as ‘Confirm’, whose members have turned some of the cubicles into their dens.

N3

A view of Flamingo Estate, Nakuru town, where one of ‘Confirm’ gang’s hideouts is located. PHOTO|FRANCIS MUREITHI |NATION MEDIA GROUP

READ ALSO:   Corona struck Italy: No schooling, no exams, stay a metre away from each other

INSECURITY

For many residents and visitors to the town, the estates are now no-go zones.

Save for a few cobblers and people roasting maize along roads, the once vibrant shopping centres at Kivumbini and Flamingo estates are lifeless.

“The more disheartening thing is that no investors can put their money here because of the gangs. They will demand a protection fee and there is nothing you can do about it,” said a resident who operated a kiosk in one of the estates.

Other residents, who also refused to be named, blamed security agents and politicians for the increase in crime.

“More worrisome is the nonchalant attitude of security agents in dealing with the criminals, who reign supreme,” said a resident of Flamingo.

“Some politicians offer to pay bonds for criminal gangs and storm police stations demanding for their release,” said a resident of Kivumbini.

“Some bad elements in the police service have turned the gang into A cash cow. Once they arrest them they demand bribes and later release them,’ said a resident of Bondeni.

Nakuru County Commissioner Erustus Mbui Mwenda absolved security agents from blame and cited frustration in their efforts to nail politicians and the criminals involved.

“There is a case in court against a politician who wanted to burn a petrol station. The matter is still pending even though police did their work. You can’t blame police for justice delayed or denied,” said Mr Mbui.

N2

Kaloleni ‘C’ and Flamingo Phase Two estates in Nakuru twon, which stand next opposite each other and are barricaded with iron sheets due to a surge in crime in the area. PHOTO |FRANCIS MUREITHI |NATION MEDIA GROUP

READ ALSO:   How the coronavirus has shaken global sport

NEW TACTICS

During a recent county engagement forum organised by Midrift Human Rights Network, to discuss how to prevent and counter violent extremism among the youth, Mr Mbui said the government was aware of all of the gangs’ tricks.

The administrator said members of the “Confirm” gang were using drones to disrupt law enforcement but noted that security agencies were taking the matter seriously.

As authorities seek solutions, residents continue to live in fear that their children will join the gangs.

“You can imagine the mental and psychological trauma most parents face, seeing their children being recruited into these gangs,” said Mr James Kanyotu, a resident of Flamingo Estate.

He said that with the Covid-19 pandemic, and the suspension of learning and other activities, many pupils were being targeted.

“This is a trying time for parents. With the reopening of schools pushed to next year, many are bound to join the gangs,” said Ms Jennifer Achieng’.

Authorities have expressed concerns that primary schools neighbouring the estates, such as Bondeni, St Theresa, Kisulisuli, Flamingo, Kimathi, St Paul’s, Bondeni and Baharini, are easy targets for radicalisation.

A boy in Kaloleni, who identified himself only as Tony, said the inconsistency in county and national government policies surrounding the matter and lack of political goodwill contribute to increased crime in the region.

READ ALSO:   Families want loved ones in Wuhan evacuated

“Nearly all these estates were constructed before independence and have outlived their usefulness due to a bursting population, but you only hear the government talking big from a distance about expanding affordable housing for the poor. On the ground things are different,” he said.

Another youth said, “These ‘Confirm’ gangsters are smart and well educated youth who cannot even access the Kazi Kwa Vijana initiative because of corruption. This forces them to look for alternative means of survival. The only readily available ones are through criminal gangs.”

Midrift Executive Director Joseph Omondi said that to make Nakuru safe and tame crime, the county must implement the action plan for preventing and countering violent extremism.

“These criminal gangs whose membership increases by the day is a ticking time bomb that will explode if no action is taken, particularly as we hit the homestretch to the 2022 General Election,” he said.

by nation.co.ke

Continue Reading


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

February 2020
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
242526272829  
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!