Connect with us

Health

‘I survived coronavirus – here’s what every parent should know about Covid-19’

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Laura Jacobs, 31, contracted the virus after her parents returned from Italy in mid-February – going through all the typical symptoms like a high fever, aches, a painfully tight chest and fatigue.

While she wants people to take the virus seriously and follow government guidance she also wants to alleviate any worries people may have.

Hospital worker, Laura, from Wales, posted on Facebook : “I feel like it’s important to share my story, especially with all of the current panic and unrest going on.

“My symptoms came from nowhere. I felt absolutely fine at work and then bang, all of the symptoms arrived at once.

“I had a high fever, shivers, intense aching pains in my back and neck, sore throat, painfully tight chest and fatigue.”

Along with Matthew, five-year-old daughter Ava and 10-month-old Miles, Laura was tested on Monday, March 9 – a day after her mother – by a nurse.

Laura’s mother Melissa Powell, and husband Matthew also came down with the coronavirus after testing positive at home.

She told Wales Online : “I wanted people to see that you shouldn’t take it lightly but also that there’s so much negative stuff being reported in the media, I think people just want reassurance.

“My mum had been to Italy and went to an area that wasn’t infected at the time, there were no reported cases, they came back on Sunday, February 22, within three days my mum started showing symptoms and then I caught it off her.”

Laura, from Neath, explained that her mother had worse symptoms as she has a history of pneumonia.

She said: “At first I thought I had the flu, I knew it wasn’t a cold. It was much worse, I hadn’t had my flu jab like every other year.

“As time went on we saw in the news there were reported cases in the part of Italy they went to and it couldn’t be a coincidence.

“So, Mum requested a test and was tested positive, that was Sunday March 8 and on March 9 – I was tested. At the time they were doing community testing, as only a handful people in Wales were confirmed to have it.

“A community nurse came to the house in protective clothing, a mask and visor. She tested me, my husband and children at the same time.

“It was awful. We did pre-warn my daughter she was okay with she wasn’t thrilled with the throat swab, but they were ok.

“The kids came back as negative and we were surprised because we are round them all the time, giving them hugs and kisses. But that goes to show, people are worried about their kids, I’ve had loads of messages from people, but it seems they are a lot more resilient to it.”

Laura said: “I did feel really unwell, I’m healthy, I’ve never been really really unwell to compare it.

“The worst was the fever for days, high temp shivers, horrible aching up my back and around my neck, you feel like you can’t move, exhausted.

“After the fever lifted, I started to feel a bit better in myself, it travelled down to my throat so I have a really sore throat and then I had a drier cough which I still have now. The fever is definitely the worst bit.”

However, husband Matthew was hit worse, as the 35-year-old has asthma and he developed viral pneumonia and was admitted to Morriston Hospital overnight.

“He is on the mend the past two days, he’s eating more,” she said, adding how the couple coped with having the family home in quarantine with two small children.

“The consultant advised us to isolate ourselves from the kids as much as possible, which is difficult as they are so young. But we just constantly wash hands before feeding and dressing them…everything for Miles is sterilized anyway as he’s under one,” Laura said.

“It was hard, it was a little bit scary for my five-year-old. She was told all of a sudden she couldn’t go to school, go out of the house, go up the park and daddy is not well and there’s a nurse coming.”

Laura said she has had lots of messages about children and hoped her post would show people the virus, for most people wouldn’t have people unwell forever.

“I think people are just really frightened,” said Laura, who hopes that she’ll be able to practically help those coming down with the virus, when she is fully recovered.

“ I think it’s because it’s something new and unknown and you have no answers about how long you’ll be ill for, does it get worse, what are the complications and that’s a common thread in the messages I have had.

People want answers, about whether they had a cough and how long for, and there’s a lot of negativity with the numbers of deaths, cases doubling, the ITU beds being full, you need to hear about people getting better, and the more people hear about those stories the better.”

Laura is hoping that when she’s able to return to work she’ll be of help, but at the moment she’s limited to open spaces because of her cough.

She said: “My consultant is quite confident that once you have had it once you won’t have it again.

“I’m hoping I can help people now and we’re in quite a good position to help people out by dropping stuff off. And I work at Morriston Hospital.

“I don’t have face-to-face contact with patients more of an admin role, but work as I know it, is going to be suspended as of now.

“It might be nice for me to do more face-to-face contact as I can’t catch it off anyone.

“But it’s all wait and see for now.”

By The Mirro


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

Shock as man ‘resurrects’ in a Kericho mortuary

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 2
  •  
  •  
  •  

There was drama at Kapkatet sub-county hospital in Kericho on Tuesday night when a 32-year-old man who had been presumed dead and taken to the mortuary regained consciousness close to three hours later.

Mortuary attendants were getting ready to embalm Peter Kigen’s body when they noticed some movements.

Kigen, a resident of Kibwastuiyo village in Bureti Constituency, is said to have collapsed while at home before his family took him to hospital.

His younger brother, Kevin Kipkurui, said he was present when Kigen collapsed. With the help of their cousin, they took Kigen to the hospital at 5.30 pm.

“When we arrived at the casualty department, we met a doctor who asked us to register the details of the patient at the reception while he attended to him,” Kipkurui, who was still in shock, told The Standard.

After registering the patient, Kipkurui said he was again asked to the National Hospital Insurance Fund desk for further documentation of his brother.

Kigen reportedly suffers from a chronic illness.

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

 

Subscribe to our newsletter and stay updated on the latest developments and special offers!

“When I went back to the casualty department at around 7.45 pm, I learnt my brother was dead. A nurse told me that he died long before we arrived at the hospital,” Kipkurui said.

He added: “The nurse later handed me a document to take to the mortuary attendant before my brother’s body was moved to the morgue.”

However, at 10.30 pm, Kipkuriu said, as they were waiting for embalming of Kigen’s body, they were informed that in fact, he was not dead.

Mortuary attendants who mummified the body told them that Kigen had regained consciousness.

“The mortician called me into the morgue and we saw him make movements. We were shocked. We could not understand how they could move a person who is still alive into the mortuary,” Kipkurui said.

Kigen, who spoke from his hospital bed yesterday, said he was shocked to learn that he was thought to have died and even taken to the mortuary.

“I cannot believe what just happened. How did they establish that I was dead?” he said.

Kirui, who donned his light-blue hospital uniform, was nevertheless happy to be alive and vowed to dedicate his life to evangelism once he’s discharged from hospital.

“I did not even know where I was when I regained consciousness, but I thank God for sparing my life. I will serve him for the rest of my life,” he said.

The hospital’s medical superintendent Gilbert Cheruiyot said Kigen was in critical condition when he was brought in.

Dr Cheruiyot said: “His relatives presumed he was dead and did not even wait for certification of death. They moved him to the mortuary, on their own.”

He said the clinical officers at the casualty were busy attending to other critically ill patients when Kigen was brought in, including an epileptic and a diabetic patient.

“They asked Kigen’s relatives to give them some time but they accused the clinicians of taking too much time and decided to take him to the mortuary. It was while the mortician was getting ready to embalm his body that she noticed some signs of life,” said Cheruiyot. He said the mortician informed the team at the casualty department which took Kigen back and begun resuscitating him. The process took three hours before the patient was stabilised.

“The patient was later taken to the ward and is responding well to treatment. We hope to discharge him in a few days,” Dr Cheruiyot said yesterday.

He added: “I advise those bringing their loved ones to the hospital to follow the laid down regulations. Before a body is moved the mortuary, it has to be certified by a clinician. In Kigen’s case, we can only say he was lucky, especially because of our qualified mortician who checked him before making any move,” said Cheruiyot.

The bizarre incident saw local MCAs, led by the Majority Leader Hezron Kipngeno, storm the hospital. This is after Chelanget MCA Hezborn Tonui demanded a statement from the heath committee over the incident that shocked the county.


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 2
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Health

Janet Mbugua shares her Covid-19 scare

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 2
  •  
  •  
  •  

Media personality Janet Mbugua has shared the tale of the time she faced a scare as thought she had contracted Covid-19 last month.

In a video she shared on Instagram, the former Citizen tv news anchor said she experienced Covid-19 symptoms which escalated quite quickly.

The video shows her being taken through the nasal swab test for Covid-19, which is known to very uncomfortable.

Luckily, the result for the mother of two came back negative.

Janet Mbugua said that her scary experience motivated her to fight the fear and stigma related to Coronavirus, and will use her platform to advocate for a vaccine.

This comes as Covid-19 cases continue to rise sharply in Kenya amid a rush by various pharmaceutical companies globally to come up with an effective vaccine.

By NN


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 2
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Health

Comedian Flaqo opens up on rare condition he has been battling

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Popular Kenyan comedian, Flaqo born Erastus Ayieko Otieno has for the first time spoken about a rare condition that he has been struggling with for some time.

Turns out that despite the funny man the Kenyan audience and beyond has grown to know as Flaqo Raz, he has his fair share of battles behind the cameras.

Flaqo opens up

The Internet sensation shared a photo showing red, itchy welts like a form of skin reaction on certain parts of his body.

Depending on the reactions, the welts appear and fade repeatedly and vary in size.

The YouTuber shared his condition with fans in the hope that maybe one or two can relate to what he has been going through and maybe work out a solution on the same.

“Anyone with this condition, how do you go about it?” he posed.

Comedian Flaqo rare skin condition

“Sometimes I have to postpone my shoots because they are unbearable. Zangu zilipotea for 6 months straight. Now they are back…” he replied to a fan who shared a similar experience.

Funny enough, soon as he had put up the post, he got so much feedback, with so many individuals able to relate to his skin condition, to his amazement.

“So far: try staying in the sun for a bit, bathe with warm water after taking antihistamines. To understand your condition better, make a point of seeing a dermatologist,” Flaqo shared with fans battling a similar condition, after gathering responses from his fan base.

Wrapping up urging fellow victims to take plenty of water, work out more often and avoid proteins since hives get triggered by things like particular foods, medication and stress.

By Ghafla.com


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Special Offer: Own one starting at Ksh 3.7M


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2020 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending