Connect with us

News

VIDEO: Kenyan Gov’t shuts down all bars, bans religious gatherings and suspends international flights

Published

on

The government of Kenya has now resolved to suspend all international flights effective Wednesday, March 25 as one of the measures of thwarting the spread of the novel Coronavirus.

Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe, addressing a press conference at Harambee House on Sunday, stated that cargo flights were the only exception to this rule.

He also added that all those coming into the country between Sunday and Wednesday — both Kenyan citizens and  foreigners — will undergo mandatory quarantine at a government designated facility at their own expense.

“Countries wishing to evacuate their nationals must make their arrangements to do so within this period. Kenyans who are currently in foreign countries, and will not have come back within the said period, are advised to observe the guidelines issued in the respective countries wherever they are,” he stated.

The CS also castigated a section of Kenyans for ignoring government directives on dealing with the pandemic and, instead, “acting as if it is business as usual.”

“As I cautioned last week, this disease is not a joke, Kenyans must treat this matter with the seriousness it deserves by adjusting and changing their lifestyles,” said CS Kagwe.

WATCH THE FULL PRESS CONFERENCE

He hence ordered the closure of all bars in the country effective Sunday midnight until further notice.

READ ALSO:   Mutahi Kagwe responds to Eric Omondi’s imitation of him

The CS further announced that restaurants are to remain open but only for purposes of facilitating take away services.

“This is meant to secure the social distance requirement, noting the increased risk of transmission these facilities cause,” said Kagwe

He also announced the government’s resolve to suspend all social gatherings in religious settings such as churches, mosques as well as funerals which are now only restricted to close family members not exceeding 15.

All public service vehicles have also been asked to adhere to the directive issued on Friday March 20, 2020 failure to which the respective Sacco licenses will be revoked. The Inspector General of Police has already been directed to enforce this directive.

CS Kagwe, also during the presser, announced that the country had recorded 8 new positive cases of Covid-19, bringing the total number to 15.

1. All international flights are suspended effective Wednesday March 25th, 2020 at midnight with the exception of cargo flights whose crew must observe strict guidelines. Those coming into the country between now and Wednesday will undergo mandatory quarantine at a government designated facility at their own expense.

Countries wishing to evacuate their nationals must make their arrangements to do so within this period. Kenyans who are currently in foreign countries, and will not have come back within the period are advised to observe the guidelines issued in the respective countries wherever they are.

READ ALSO:   Royal Media Services employees suffer huge Salary Cuts, scale down as Coronavirus Crisis Bites

2. Whereas we had allowed Kenyans and foreigners with valid residence permits to come in to the country, we have observed that there are those who are not observing the self-quarantine protocol. Consequently NERC has decided that all persons who violate the self-quarantine requirement will be forcefully quarantined for a full period of 14 days at their cost, and thereafter arrested and charged under the Public Health Act.

3. Effective midnight tonight, all BARS will remain closed until further notice. Restaurants are to remain open but only for purposes of facilitating take away services. This is meant to secure the social distance requirement, noting the increased risk of transmission these facilities cause.

4. Further in order to give effect to the social distance requirement in the public transport sector all public service vehicles must adhere to the directive issued on Friday March 20th, 2020 failure to which the respective Sacco licenses will be revoked. The Inspector General of Police has been already directed to enforce this directive.

5. Lastly, having noted the non-compliance of religious institutions to the social distance requirement as issued on Friday March 20th, 2020, the NERC has directed the suspension of all church, mosques, and other religious gatherings. This also includes weddings, funerals and other social gatherings which are restricted to immediate family members only. These directives take effect immediately until further notice.

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. issa

    March 22, 2020 at 5:19 pm

    please extend the period @tleast 2 more days for international travel,Me and my other Kenyan crew members are scheduled to travel on 25 from miami,reaching home on 26.PLEASE,OUR FAMILIES ARE WORIED.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Uhuru hosts 200 MPs at State House

Published

on

President Uhuru Kenyatta today at State House, Nairobi chaired a Jubilee Coalition National Assembly Parliamentary Group (PG) meeting in his capacity as the Coalition’s Party Leader.

The meeting was attended by Deputy President Dr William Ruto who is also the Jubilee Coalition’s Deputy Party Leader, Party Secretary General Raphael Tuju and a total of 212 Members of Parliament.

Today’s Parliamentary Group meeting endorsed Hon Justin B Muturi to continue serving as the Speaker of the National Assembly, Hon Moses Cheboi to continue serving as the Deputy Speaker, Hon Adan Duale to continue serving as the Majority Leader in the National Assembly, and Hon Jimmy Angwenyi to continue serving as the Deputy Majority Leader.

Jubilee Secretary General Raphael Tuju makes his remark next to party leader Uhuru Kenyatta and his deputy William Ruto. PHOTO | PSCU

The Parliamentary Group meeting replaced Hon Benjamin Washiali as the Majority Whip with Hon Emmanuel Wangwe. Hon Cecily Mbarire was replaced by Hon Richard Maoka Maore as the Deputy Whip.

Further, the Party Leader appointed Hon Amos Kimunya to serve as the Secretary of the Jubilee Coalition Joint Parliamentary Group.

By Nairobi News

READ ALSO:   Kemri’s new tech to enable Kenya conduct 35,000 Covid-19 tests daily
Continue Reading

Business

VIDEO: A TRUE PLACE OF PEACE for the young ones too!

Published

on

Amani Ridge the Place of Peace is the place to be for those who seek to settle in a peaceful domicile.

Families are coming here not only to survey the place where they will soon establish their dream homes, but listen this…to enjoy the quietude and take photos too! They come here to take a walk and enjoy the amazing views.

Others just come to appreciate and walk along the walls of Peace, Happiness, Knowledge and Wisdom.

Others still come here to confirm the value additions that are being placed here courtesy of Optiven. Watch this video expounding on this gated community’s architectural projections: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os3nubny8Vg&t=1s

For the young ones who make their way here, they have a chance to breathe the fresh air, to enjoy the serenity of the open and refreshing skies of these cool Kiambu environs. The young girl captured here can attest to this.

You are free to visit the project and enjoy the Peace as you enjoy the magnificent developments happening at Amani Ridge the Place of Peace

Do you want to be part of Amani Ridge the Place of Peace great experience? Get in touch with Optiven Today:

Contact Optiven Group: 0790 300 300 Email: admin@optiven.co.ke Website: www.optiven.co.ke George Wachiuri Blog: www.georgewachiuri.com
YouTube: https://bit.ly/2VdSuFJ

READ ALSO:   Watch Eric Omondi humorously mimick Health CS Mutahi Kagwe
Continue Reading

News

Don’t buy land around Ngong Road Forest: KWS

Published

on

The Kenya Forest Service is warning Kenyans not to be duped into buying land within Ngong Road Forest around Sunvalley Lang’ata and surrounding areas without verification.

The agency said Kenyans were being swindled of millions of shillings and being sold air, within forest land.

“Much of the land that is purportedly up for sale by crooks there is part of Ngong Forest land which will be reclaimed. It is just a matter of time,” warned KFS Chief Conservator of Forests Julius Kamau on Thursday, “and it will not matter what is on the land, it will eventually revert to the KFS. It won’t matter what sits on the forest land when we come for it. We’ll take all of what belongs to the forest.”

Mr Kamau said the Ngong Road Forest sits on 1,224.4 hectares, but 789 hectares have been grabbed by unscrupulous developers and land racketeers.

However, according to a record given by KFS in 2017, the Ngong Road Forest sat on 2,850 at gazettement, in 1932. Meaning the land continues to be excised.

KFS board chairman Peter Kinyua said some people had acquired titles to the land under forest area fraudulently.

“Anybody sitting on forest land, will have to vacate. Many of the people on those parcels of land there say they have titles but they have titles to what? When was it degazetted, by whom? Because for public land to convert into private land, a parliamentary process to degazette it has to have happened,” Mr Kinyua said, adding that a process was underway to recover the irregularly acquired land.

READ ALSO:   Kemri’s new tech to enable Kenya conduct 35,000 Covid-19 tests daily

“Some people have illegally and irregularly erected structures on these 789 hectares. But it remains gazetted as forest land and it has a legal notice and there is no process of degazettement that has been undertaken,” Mr Kamau said.

“Anybody who is in the forest illegally has to vacate. We’re very clear in terms of mapping all the forest areas around the country,” he added.

“And there are Kenyans who’ve actually been doing the right thing by writing to us to establish the status of what they want to acquire against the forest jurisdiction and we give them advice.

“I want to ask Kenyans who are buying in the area around Ngong Road Forest to do serious due diligence before investing millions of shillings. We do not charge for the service. It is absolutely free of charge, so Kenyans should not hesitate to come to us,” advised the conservator.

Investigations by the Nation revealed that a 40 by 60 ft plots are currently going for about Sh12 million. The grabbed land is currently being sold by among other sellers a former MP.

Some of the properties adjacent to Lang’ata police dog unit, are said to sit on the private land that includes about 800 prime homes in Parkview, Sunvalley 1, Sunvalley 2, Kenya Medical Association, Langata View Apartments and St Mary’s Hospital.

READ ALSO:   Kenya coronavirus cases rise to seven

Most of the grabbed forest land, initially used as training ground for police dogs, now hosts lavish homes belonging to senior government officials, businessmen and a community.

In 2017, KFS announced that of the 2,850 ha of woodland gazetted in 1932, only 1,224.4 ha was left after some powerful and connected people grabbed almost half of it.

The Nation

Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!