Connect with us

News

Kinoti wants US detectives to join in Kenei killing probe

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

The Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) has asked the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) in Nairobi to join investigations into the murder of a police officer attached to the office of the deputy president.

The detectives feel the case has been politicised and want the FBI to conduct a parallel investigation into how Sergeant Frank Kenei was murdered.The need to widen the scope of investigations is because of the involvement of an American, who was one of the supposed suppliers of the Sh39.5 billion military hardware.

Authorities have termed the deal fraudulent.Koziowski Stanley Bruno, an American, is a director of Eco Advanced Technologies LLC, which was to get the tender to supply the arms for the Kenya Defence Forces. He and Mamdouh Mostafa Lofty helped the police arrest and charge former Sports Cabinet Secretary Rashid Echesa and three others over the fake arms deal.

It is understood that DCI boss George Kinoti sought the help of FBI, citing politicisation of the probe so far.“Kinoti wants an independent probe not just to vindicate his homicide detectives who have concluded it was murder, but also to get those behind it,” said a source.According to preliminary investigations by homicide sleuths, Kenei was murdered by people known to him, and who later later stage-managed the scene to look like suicide.

READ ALSO:   Revealed! Uhuru's plans to have Raila prosecuted for treason should he swear himself in

Kinoti also faulted Kenei’s seniors at Harambee House Annex for not immediately inquiring about the officer’s whereabouts.“There is no doubt it was a cold murder.

The motive of cold murder is very clear. It was simply to safeguard, protect, insulate and or save the source from the adverse involvement and attendance consequences using the military procurement process in the most deceitful and fraudulent manner,” he said.

The killers placed a pistol on his chin and pulled the trigger. It is believed he was drugged first before he was killed elsewhere and body taken to his Imara Daima house.Kenei was a marked man, as he had been scheduled to record a statement with the DCI on February 19 regarding the incident in which Echesa and his team visited the second floor of Harambee House Annex.

His death has put breaks on the probing of the visit, which police were investigating because he (Kenei) was the man in charge of security at the DP’s office that day.His five junior colleagues have so far recorded statements with the DCI and claimed they were acting on instructions to clear the guests.Kinoti said the involvement of Kenei in the complex activities of February 13, 2020, at Harambee House Annex, clearly showed he did not have a chance. “It is evident that throughout he was receiving instructions, or orders, or directions from a certain source,” said Kinoti.

READ ALSO:   Kenei: It was cold-blooded murder which was meticulously stage-managed, says DCI Kinoti

He noted that Kenei was ready to record a statement over the fake deal, adding that the mobile phone Kenei was using was found to be in factory reset, and that the SIM card was still missing.Sources said the officers, led by those from Homicide and Serious Crimes Unit, had identified nine persons of interest, who are likely to be quizzed. Head of Homicide Unit Martin Nyuguto declined to reveal details of those targeted.

By Standard


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Lifestyle

Villagers gift Uhuru with heifer for appointing Yatani to Cabinet

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Residents of Hurri Hills in North Horr Sub-County have donated a fat heifer to President Uhuru Kenyatta as an appreciation for appointing Ukur Yatani to the Cabinet.

Speaking during a tree-planting ceremony at Hurri Hills Primary School on Friday that was graced by Environment CS Keriako Tobiko, the villagers heaped praise on President Uhuru Kenyatta for his kind gestures to the county.

They considered appointment of their son Yatani to the National Treasury docket as a superlative honour by the Head of State  to the pastoralist community.

Hersi Ibrahim praised President Kenyatta’s administration, which he said has endeared itself to the region that was once marginalised for many years.

Labour Cabinet Secretary Ukur Yatani during a media briefing at his office on March 06, 2019. PHOTO | NATION

National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Ukur Yatani.

Salaton Njau | Nation Media Group

“We appeal to you CS Tobiko to take both our greetings and this token of appreciation to our beloved President Uhuru Kenyatta for his love for us,’’ Mzee Ibrahim said.

He said the cordial relations between CS Yatani and the President have seen Marsabit County improve economically since the time Yatani served as the county’s first governor.

READ ALSO:   Kenei: It was cold-blooded murder which was meticulously stage-managed, says DCI Kinoti

He also thanked the Head of State for granting North Horr — one of the biggest constituencies in the country —  two other districts namely Turbi and Dukana.

Further, they thanked the Jubilee administration for the planned tarmacking of more than 196km of roads from Marsabit town to North Horr, then to Loiyangalani.

A group of the residents sang and danced gleefully as they presented the heifer, whose head was garbed in a pretty ribbon, to CS Tobiko, who will present the gift to the President.

Maikona MCA Bukhe Diba praised CS Yatani as a pillar and role model to all pastoralist communities. He praised his hard work, professionalism and selfless love for his community.

He also expressed gratitude for the appointment of another local (Mamo Boru Mamo) as the Director-General of the National Environment Management Authority (Nema).

“We have never felt this honoured by previous regimes,” Mr Diba said.

By Nation.africa


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Business

How top-level meeting allowed Radisson hotel to block Arboretum road

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Arboretum park lane has become the latest public road to have a barrier erected, much to the chagrin of many Nairobi residents.

Anyone who wishes to access the Nairobi Arboretum park, Kenya Forest Service, State House, State House Primary School, Kenya Girl Guides Association, Jabali Elementary School as well as the Radisson Blu hotel will have to pass through the Arboretum park lane.

The erection of the barrier left Nairobi Senator Johnson Sakaja seething with rage. And he registered his disapproval on social media.

“The Nairobi Arboretum is a public space that many Nairobians enjoy. The road leading up to it is also a public road. A private entity (Radisson) has put up a barrier on this public road where members of the public are screened. I have asked @NMS_Kenya to deal ASAP,” Sakaja wrote on Twitter.

He then warned Radisson hotel to remove the barrier.

Nation.Africa can, however, confirm that the barrier was erected after meetings of stakeholders and the Westlands sub-county security team.

Arboretum park lane has become the latest public road to have a barrier erected.

Amina Wako | Nation Media Group

The stakeholders, who included State House, Kenya Forest Service Arboretum, Jabali Elementary, Kenya Girl Guides Association, National Police Service and Radisson Blu requested to have the barrier erected for security reasons.

The conversation to have the barrier started after the January 2019 DusitD2 complex attack.

READ ALSO:   Suspects in fake gold scandal walk free

The boda-boda operators who camped outside the Arboretum entrance waiting for or dropping clients visiting the park also worried them.

As the conversation was going on, in July 2019, an intruder was shot and injured after he climbed over one of the State House gates.

The need to have a barrier became even more urgent.

So, they contacted the Kenya Urban Roads Authority (Kura) and they were allowed to erect the barrier.

“We are aware of the barrier. We allowed it there because of the security reasons raised by the stakeholders. Remember it is not a throughway, so it is important to know who goes in and comes out to avoid incidents like the State House intruder,” John Cheboi, the chief corporate communications officer at Kura, said.

Thereafter, the stakeholders, through Leisure Park Development Limited — the mother company of Radisson Blu Hotel — on December 10, 2019, wrote to Nairobi City County about the proposed erection of the security barrier.

And, on January 17 this year, the county replied granting permission for the work to begin.

“Authority to erect 1 No. security barrier to serve Plot L.R. No. 1870/X/106 on Arboretum Drive is hereby granted to you subject to compliance with the following conditions…” the letter, signed on February 17, 2020 by the Nairobi Chief Officer, Roads, Public Works and Transport, Eng. F.N. Karanja, read in part.

READ ALSO:   Four held for defrauding foreigner Sh29m in fake gold sale

The council also acknowledged receiving Sh10,000 inspection fees for the work.

The work was, however, postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic, which was first reported in Kenya in March this year.

What followed next was government restrictions to curb the spread of the virus.

According to Edward Momanyi, the Food and Beverage Manager at Radisson Blu, the Sub-County Security Committee visited the hotel in September and spelt out conditions for erecting the barrier.

“The team, led by Westlands Deputy County Commissioner Mwai Gicheru, visited the area in September. They cited the conditions as a bulletproof guard booth, two armed police officers, and two security guards,” Mr Momanyi told Nation.Africa.

Because of the cost implications, the stakeholders met again on November 11, 2020, at the hotel.

“We invited everyone around this area including State House. We discussed the cost of setting up the barrier, bulletproof guard booth, two armed police officers and two security guards and how it would be shared among ourselves,” Mr Momanyi said.

But council warned that should any member of the public or residents along the Arboretum park lane object to the erection of the barrier, the barrier will be removed.

“That you be required to bind yourselves to the conditional clause of removing the barrier should the Nairobi City County receive reasonable objection to the barrier from one or more area residents or other members of the public,” the letter read in part.

READ ALSO:   DCI: I survived 28 bullets, my intestines were on the tarmac, those who picked me up declared me dead

“You shall indemnify the Nairobi City County against any litigation that may arise as a result of these works,” read one of the nine conditions set by Nairobi City County.

“This approval is valid if the works commence and are completed within three months,” it further said.

Arboretum becomes the latest public road to have obstacles.

In September this year, Muthaiga Residents Association mounted a roadblock restricting access to the suburb by boda-boda operators, commercial vehicles and pedestrians.

An email from the association’s secretariat, dated September 22, said the move was due to security reasons.

“No motorbikes and commercial vehicles are allowed to enter Main Muthaiga Road from Oil Libya Plaza, Kiambu Road and from Mini Muthaiga Round-about including house-helps, construction site employees,” read the email signed by Christine Chiriba, for the secretariat.

Further, residents were asked to provide details of their employees, including job card or a letter indicating the name of the staffer, ID number, plot or house number, employer and their contact number.

In 2014, the county assembly moved a motion to remove barriers erected on public roads by the Runda Residents Association.

by Nationafrica


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Lifestyle

TRAGIC: Woman kills self after realising hubby’s plan to get second wife

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

A 38-year-old woman has committed suicide in Migori after learning that her husband had a secret lover he was planning to marry.

According to police reports, the body of Pamela Atieno was found dangling from the roof of her house on Friday morning at their rural home in Kameji sub-location, Rongo sub-county.

Chief John Agoro who reported the incident to Rongo Police Station said that Atieno took her life after she learnt that her husband was planning to marry a second wife.

“The deceased reportedly differed with her husband after she learned that he had another lover and was planning to marry her as a second wife,” said Agoro.

Atieno is reported to have left a suicide note to her husband before taking her life.

“I have decided to die because of your secret plan to (marry) another wife,” the suicide note read in part.

Never differed

Michael Ondito, the woman’s husband, however, denied arguing with Atieno, adding that he had gone to the farm only to come and find his wife had killed herself.

“I was called when I was at the farm in the morning but upon reaching home I found the body of my wife hanging on a rope on our doorstep, I was surprised because we had not quarrelled or fought,” said Onditi.

READ ALSO:   Kenei: It was cold-blooded murder which was meticulously stage-managed, says DCI Kinoti

Chief Agoro, however, condemned the action saying people should find other ways of solving family differences.

“Domestic problems should not lead to people killing themselves. We are supposed to look for guidance and counselling experts,” the administrator said.

Rongo police boss Peter Okiring while confirming the incident said police received the information and went there to collect the body which was transferred to Rosewood Hospital’s morgue.

“We have launched our investigation into the matter but we are yet to confirm the reason why the deceased committed suicide,” said Okiring.

BY Standardmedia.co.ke


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Special Offer: Own one starting at Ksh 3.7M


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2020 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending