Connect with us

Health

VIDEO: Coronavirus cases jump to 25

Published

on

Kenya has confirmed nine more coronavirus cases raising the total number of cases in the country to 25.

Health CS Mutahi Kagwe on Tuesday said that in the last 24 hours 82 cases had been tasted in the country.

The cases were tested in Nairobi Mombasa Kilifi and Kwale and include seven Kenyans and two foreigners.

Two of the cases were confirmed to have been from close contacts while the rest were from people who had travelled in the country.

The samples were tested in various laboratories in Kemri, Kilifi and AgaKhan. Patients in isolation are being monitored and tracing for new patients is ongoing.

“We have always felt that they have extra exposure and have taken measures and they have all been taken into isolation and are being monitored by our personnel,” said Mr Kagwe.

The total number of close contacts stands at 745. Out of this, 98 have been discharged after completing 14 days of quarantine.

Some 98 people have been discharged after completing the 14-day quarantine while 15 at Mbagathi are waiting for results.

The CS said that they have had challenges at JKIA and designated mandatory-quarantine areas adding that the government had streamlined the process and further measures will be introduced to ease inconvenience.

READ ALSO:   How mourners from Kibera took virus to Siaya

“There have been challenges at JKIA as well as designated hotels and government facilities where we are taking the travellers for mandatory quarantine…However, we have streamlined the process and this has been sorted,” he added.

“We will carry mandatory testing for all contact traced and all travellers.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

Screenshot: See Dr Lugaliki’s last WhatsApp text with pal

Published

on

The last text messages from Dr. Doreen Lugaliki sent to a pal have emerged.

Dr Lugaliki succumbed to COVID-19 on Thursday, July 9, at the Aga Khan University Hospital in Nairobi after being admitted on Monday (July 6).

“She contracted the virus while saving others who had caught the disease,” Health CS Mutahi Kagwe said during his daily briefing to the media.

 

He added,

“On behalf of the Government, I want to extend my heartfelt condolences to her family. I say pole pole sana. I have spoken to her father and two sisters. I want to say it is a sad day for our healthcare workers.”

CS Kagwe honoured Dr Lugaliki by observing a one-minute silence.

A tweep, @ManuuNgesh, who chatted with Dr Lugaliki shared their last WhatsApp conversation.

He tweeted,

“My heart is heavy! I don’t know what to say. Good Lord! F&ck Covid.

Doreen You kept asking me to take all the precautions every other day. What’s gonna happen to the Babies.

God , give us the strength! More so to the family! RIP Dr Lugaliki.”

Check out the conversation below.

By Mpasho.co.ke

READ ALSO:   How a single person can spread virus to masses
Continue Reading

Health

Shock as beloved young Kenyan doctor dies of Coronavirus

Published

on

Doctors around the country are mourning the death of Dr Adisa Lugaliki who succumbed to Covid-19. The news was shared by Dr Mercy Korir who described the deceased as a hardworking doctor who still had so much to offer.

“We have lost one of our own as a doctors’ fraternity to Covid-19. A young doctor with so much to offer,” tweeted Dr Korir.

The Kenya Medical Practitioners, Pharmacists and Dentists Union also sent a condolence message to the family of Dr Lugaliki, who served as an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist at The Nairobi South Hospital.

“We have lost a hard-working obstetrician/gynecologist, a mother, a friend and a colleague to the devastating effects of Covid-19.

“Our condolences to the family and friends of Dr. Doreen Lugaliki,” wrote KMPDU.

Online, many recalled their interactions with the deceased and lauded her for her professionalism and dedication to the medical profession.

The late Dr Adisa Lugaliki

Despite the risks involved, health workers have continued to give their all in the fight against Coronavirus, constantly asking the government to provide enough PPEs as they discharge their duties.

On Thursday, the Ministry of Health announced 447 new COVID-19 cases after testing 3,803 samples bringing the national tally to 8,975.

This is the largest number of confirmed cases in a day since the first case was reported in the country.

READ ALSO:   Stop dancing with death

While speaking in Mombasa County, Health CS Mutahi Kagwe said a total of 64 patients were discharged bringing the total number of recoveries to 2,657.

Four more people also succumbed to the disease bringing the death toll to 173.

Kagwe said since the cessation of movement was lifted three days ago, the government has been focusing on county preparedness to fight the curb of COVID-19.

He urged county governors who had not reached the maximum of 300 beds as proposed by the Ministry of health to do so.

-Standard.co.ke

Continue Reading

Health

It’s a whole new world for boy shot by police

Published

on

Ten-year-old Limo Poriot (pictured) sits under a shade and appears in deep thought. He stares at the crutches beside him and looks into the distance as if contemplating what the future holds.

For a month now Poriot has been forced to adopt a new way of life; the use of crutches after one of his legs was amputated just several inches below his knee after he was shot by the police on an operation at Naudo village in Tiaty.

He misses moments he would join his siblings and play with them. The best he can do is follow up the games, as friends and sibling playfully run around him.

Feel sad

“I wish I could join other children, run around with them and play all sorts of games. The noise I hear from them as they play just makes me feel sad. If only I had my leg back,” Poriot said.

The Standard One boy was shot in May while herding his parents’ goats. He reveals that he was with another child on that fateful day when a team of officers who were on operation drove past where they were grazing their animals. Out of fear they ran and hid in a nearby bush, little did he know one of the officers had aimed at him. He was shot twice, leaving him with injuries on both legs.

READ ALSO:   Alone in death: Kenya’s first coronavirus victim

One of the officers he said ran to where he was and found him wriggling in pain. The two bullets would mark the beginning of his new life. The officer in jungle uniform, he said, rushed to where he was, stared at him, then knelt and said he was sorry before leaving him for dead.

“One of the officers came to where I was lying, and saw me cry in pain. He placed his rifle down, knelt and said sorry before leaving,” he said.

The officers he said never bothered to have him taken to a health facility. It is after the officers left that residents who had heard gunshots rushed to the scene.

Later the boy’s relatives were informed of what had befallen the minor. Poriot’s brother, Alex Krop said he rushed to the scene and found his injured brother. The boy was ferried to Nakuru Rift Valley Provincial General Hospital where doctors suggested that the leg be amputated.

“Doctors said there was nothing they could do other than have his leg amputated,” Krop said. Poriot stayed in hospital for close to two months and was discharged on Tuesday. The doctors, however, advised that the condition of the boy be monitored closely.

READ ALSO:   Coronavirus: Govt reveals 3 more suspected cases, 14 quarantined

Krop said they regret sending Poriot to the bush to graze the animals. All they want is justice for the boy. The Government, he said should be held responsible for the loss.

“The boy was innocent, all we need is justice as a family. His life will never be the same again,” he said.

Hosea Lomada, Poriot’s father, said they have been left helpless and can barely cater for the boy’s daily medical bill to have the wound dressed.

Christina Lomada, the boy’s mother said the child is finding it hard to cope with the new way of life. Baringo County Commissioner Henry Wafula said they will review the matter and see how the boy will be assisted.

“Let him heal, we wish him quick recovery. Together with my county commander, we will review and see how the boy will be assisted,” Wafula said

By Standard.co.ke

Continue Reading


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!