Connect with us

News

VIDEO: Kenyan Dep Gov to be arrested for walking around while infected with Covid-19

Published

on

Kilifi Deputy Governor Gideon Saburi is set to be charged in court for defying a government directive to self quarantine after he returned to the country from a trip to Germany.

The government had earlier ordered that any person entering the country from a destination with confirmed cases of coronavirus should proceed on self quarantine.

It would however emerge that Saburi ignored the precautionary measure and went ahead to attend several weddings and funerals.

The deputy governor is also understood to have mingled with county staff in complete disregard of the government directive aimed at curbing the spread of the coronavirus.

 

In a press briefing on Sunday, Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe indicated that the deputy governor has already been placed under forced quarantine, and would be arraigned after the 14-day quarantine period.

He noted that the National Emergency Response Committee has decided that all persons who violate the self-quarantine requirement will be forcefully quarantined for a full period of 14 days at their cost, and thereafter arrested and charged under the Public Health Act.

“This will apply to a senior government official in Kilifi who defied and refused to self-quarantine and who is now being forcibly quarantined in a facility. Upon completion of the period given by our health aunthorities, the official will be charged in a court of law,” said Kagwe.

READ ALSO:   Watch Kilifi county employee break down as he narrates how he met DG Saburi after Europe trip
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Lifestyle

Accused in murder of boyfriend denied bail

Published

on

A Nairobi woman accused of murdering her boyfriend of two years in a squabble over who would wash utensils after supper has been denied bail for failing to provide details of where she will be living upon release.

Susan Njeri Wachiuri, 25, wanted to be released on bail terms pending determination of the murder trial but Justice James Wakiaga noted that there was no evidence that she is not a flight risk.

“In the absence of documentary evidence that the accused has an alternative means of abode rather than the house of the deceased where the offense was committed, I am at this stage persuaded that it will be risky to release the accused on bond,” said Justice Wakiaga.

Ms Wachiuri is accused of stabbing Kelvin Njenga Ng’ang’a 11 times using a knife on April 9, 2020 at White House, Tena Estate area within Kamukunji in Nairobi County. She has since denied committing the offence.

In her bail application, Ms Wachiuri told court that she had a family who were very supportive and willing to accommodate her.

In opposing the release of the accused on bail, the prosecution said there was a rise in gender based violence amongst couples and therefore the accused should be denied bail in the interest of public order and security to act as deterrence.

READ ALSO:   Watch Kilifi county employee break down as he narrates how he met DG Saburi after Europe trip

By nation.co.ke

Continue Reading

Business

Paybill number for cash-strapped Gor Mahia

Published

on

As a financial crisis bites through the local football scene, Gor Mahia chairman Ambrose Rachier has reached out to landlords of members of his team’s playing unit to exercise patience.

And in a related development, the 18-time Kenyan champions have, through Gor Mahia Augmentin Fund (GMAF), set up a Paybill number which members, supporters, and well-wishers can contribute money to the club in form of cash and ‘Bonga points.’

Bonga points is a loyalty scheme for all of Safaricom’s pre-paid and post-paid customers.

The points can be used to redeem prizes and goods at selected supermarkets.

Rachier has sought to strike a deal with the landlords of his players following consistent delay in rent payment by the players. This has been occasioned by financial crisis at the club that has caused salary delays.

“We have not paid salaries for five months,” Rachier said Wednesday.

“I keep writing to their landlords just to understand and I want to thank those landlords that have extended a good time for them (players) to be able to pay when we are able to pay,” he said.

Rachier spoke at an event where a section of club supporters and players, led by Lawrence Juma, Joakim Oluoch and Samuel Onyango as well as members of group called ‘Kulundeng original’ donated foodstuff worth Sh100,000 to the Fikisha Rehabilitation Centre.

READ ALSO:   Watch Kilifi county employee break down as he narrates how he met DG Saburi after Europe trip

The function was held at the Lutheran Centre in Kawangware, Nairobi.

Gor players each received a Sh10,000 monthly stipend from the government last week in a bid to cushion them from the effects of coronavirus pandemic which has paralysed football activities in the country.

Most of the Kenyan Premier League clubs have benefited from the scheme launched by the government in conjunction with various partners.

By Nation Sport

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

How man survived in 60ft well for 13 days

Published

on

A mentally challenged man from Gatituni village in Chuka, Tharaka-Nithi County has shocked many after surviving in a 60-foot well for 13 days without food.

Mr Royford Mugambi, 42, was retrieved from the well Wednesday evening.

He disappeared on the morning of May 22, 2020 while with his elderly mother who lives with him.

Speaking to journalists at their home on Thursday morning, Mr Henry Gitonga, Mr Mugambi’s elder brother, said they had been searching for him since his disappearance, even going to the Chuka County Referral Hospital mortuary.

REPORTED DISAPPEARANCE

He said the family had reported his disappearance to the administration and at Chuka Police Station and were almost losing hope of tracing him when he was discovered in the well.

Mr Gitonga said a neighbour, Mr John Mwenda, was working in a farm near the well when he heard someone calling and thought it was his father who was also working some meters away. But when he responded, his father said he had not called him.

Mr Mwenda continued with his work and then he heard the voice again. This time, the person called him by his name and when he trailed the direction of the voice, he noticed that the person was calling from the well and the soft voice sounded familiar; it was that of Mugambi.

READ ALSO:   Watch Kilifi county employee break down as he narrates how he met DG Saburi after Europe trip

He went close to the well and when he called out, Mugambi responded and asked for some water.

LADDER AND ROPE

“After confirming that it was Mugambi who had disappeared for some days, Mwenda rushed and informed his father before proceeding to our home and broke the shocking news,” said Mr Gitonga.

He said they all ran to the well, which had been dug many years back by the owner of the farm who was looking for water, and confirmed that it was his brother.

He hurriedly looked for a ladder, tied it with a rope and dropped it to the well.

He said they asked him to hold firm to the ladder as they pulled him out.

VERY WEAK

Mr Gitonga said they struggled to remove him because he was very weak, making it difficult for him to hold onto the ladder. When he came out, he asked for water.

“His body was pale, completely emaciated and totally confused when he came out,” he said.

The family called a doctor from Chuka County Referral Hospital who advised them to give him a glucose solution and some milk for a few days before introducing him to porridge and later soft food.

The villagers said they suspected the man had been taking some water since when he came out his clothes were wet, suggesting that the well had some water.

READ ALSO:   Uhuru: Saburi should be jailed for 10 years

They termed the incident as miracle, saying they would hold a thanksgiving ceremony later

By Nation.co.ke

Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!