Connect with us

News

16 families in Kayole seek Uhuru’s intervention after landlord kicks them out over unpaid rent

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

16 families in Nairobi’s Kayole estate were forced to spend the night out in the cold after their landlord evicted them over unsettled rent dues.

The landlord of their flat locked their houses forcing them to sleep outside or seek alternative accommodation.

Some of the evicted mothers were seen carrying their young children on their backs, while other young ones stood outside in the dark with nowhere to go.

One of the tenants said they normally paid their rent on time and wondered why the landlord had locked them out during the ongoing fight against the coronavirus.

“We spoke to the agent and asked him to give us time until the 13th but he still evicted us,” one of the tenants complained.

“Right now, all my children are sleeping on the streets, I do not know what to do and the landlord has gone,” another tenant lamented.

The tenants requested the national government to come to their rescue and help them plead with their landlord to let them back in until things improve.

Kenyans are going through tough times as Covid-19 ravages the entire world, with stagnation of business and other economic activities due to spread of the virus.

Last week, President Uhuru Kenyatta pleaded with landlords to be considerate and give their tenants rent waivers during the pandemic as they grapple with lost jobs and other means of earning income.

President Kenyatta, while addressing the nation on Covid-19, requested the landlords to consider sharing the heavy burden of the current pandemic.

He said he was pleased to see Kenyans stepping up for each other and contributing to help their brothers and sisters in need.

“Those property owners who have reduced or agreed to work terms for the monthly rent in order to provide roofs over the heads of vulnerable brothers and sisters and in this regard, I wish to urge all others to emulate this great example and not put our people in even more vulnerable situations as we face this current pandemic,” he sai .

Despite his pleas, some landlords have been kicking out tenants even as the Landlords and Tenants Association of Kenya (LATAK) urged landlords across the country to offer their tenants rent waivers for the months of April, May and June.

By Nairobi News


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Capital FM buries ‘Hits Not Homework’ after two decades

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Capital FM has killed its long-running evening show, Hits Not Homework, and replaced it with an all-new programme titled The Hype 984.

Hits Not Homework had been on the air for more than twenty years and targeted the youth with the latest music urban music and conversations relevant to that particular audience.

Its replacement aired for the first time on Tuesday from 7pm to 10pm and was hosted by Wanjira Longauer Mbuthia.

Wanluv, as she is popular known, resigned from the station in 2018 and used to host the mid-morning show, The Fuse.

The new show will air on weekdays from Monday to Thursday grabbing the traditional Hits Not Homework time-slot.

Hits Not Homework was previously hosted by Miss Mandii and Neville alongside DJ Roudge, DJ Joe Mfalme and Joe Kisila.

The show is widely considered one of the most iconic shows ever to air on Kenyan radio as it had some of the biggest names in the industry as its hosts.

From Eve D’Souza, Solo, Joey Muthengi, Amina Abdi Rabar, Anita Nderu and Anne Mwaura to now Wanluv, although she will now host its reincarnated version.

The show was dogged by controversy in 2018 after a talent search dubbed Capital One which was to find a replacement following Amina’s exit turned into a PR nightmare for the station.

Outraged Kenyans called out the station’s decision to hand Nderu the position of hostng the show despite already being a presenter at the station and also a judge of the competition.

Nderu, who was eventually unveiled as the new host alongside Anne Mwaura, Tracy Wanjiru and Jo Kisila, left the show barely a year later, in February 2019, with the station citing expiry of their one-year contracts.

By NN


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

News

Ruto: I helped Uhuru pick the BBI team but its mandate was changed to include changing the constitution without my knowledge

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Deputy President William Ruto has said that the Building Bridges Initiative (BBI) committee was not meant to change the Constitution.

While acknowledging that he had a hand in nominating the team members led by Senator Yusuf Haji, he said that the mandate of the team soon changed.

“When we were nominating those people, changing the Constitution was not part of their brief. That’s why if you look at the nominations that came from the Jubilee side, we were nominating people whose brief was to bring people together. Generally peace briefings. That’s why we nominated the chairman of the Kisii elders, the Kalenjin Council of Elders, Maison Leshomo (Samburu Woman Rep),” he said in an interview that aired on Citizen TV on Thursday evening.

“Be that as it may, when this exercise was concretised into a Constitution (issue), it was necessary for us to step in and say okay, let’s look at what proposals are being made. Some of the interventions that we have made are not unreasonable,” he added.

“I know there is a lot of push…that the train has left the station. But it is never too late to do the right thing,” DP Ruto said.

He also insisted that there is no legal framework within which the push to amend the Constitution is being made.

The Deputy President also reiterated his preference for a multiple choice referendum, noting that it would give Kenyans the latitude to make decisions on an article by article basis.

“It (multiple choice) is the best way to fashion our referendum. Parliament is already fashioning a referendum Bill that gives the possibility of us going to a referendum with options. It is not something far-fetched,” the DP said.

The DP said that he does not need to get all he has demanded in the constitutional referendum debate, even as he insisted that the issues he was raising were reasonable.

He said the TangaTanga group he leads is not being belligerent in demanding fresh changes to the BBI Bill, whose proponents have already collected over four million signatures in one week.

“We do not have to get everything we want,” the DP said in a live interview with Citizen TV.

The DP’s group has demanded a multiple-choice referendum held alongside the General Election, the provision to vary by 20 per cent the proposed 70 constituencies as well as the amendment of the provision for the proposed Judiciary Ombudsman to be nominated by the President and vetted by the Senate, saying the office holder should instead be named by the Judiciary.

“I have nothing to gain or lose in this referendum. My only stake is that if we are changing the Constitution, we are changing it to go forward, not backwards. Two, is to make sure that we do not divide Kenyans,” the DP said.

Referendum

He added: “If what we are saying is of merit, we can republish this Bill before signatures to IEBC. We can have Parliament to have a Bill to give Kenyans the chance to vote on multiple choices and not pushing them to a corner.”

He insisted that the option of a multiple-choice format referendum was Kenya’s best chance to not have a situation of throwing away the baby with the bathwater in the BBI

“We believe it is possible to have a referendum where Kenyans vote on articles independently. As leaders, we have to change of how we view Kenyans. Their views, concerns, ideas, proposals also matter,” the DP said, defending his call for Kenyans to vote for the different issues separately.

“There is a tendency to underestimate the ability of the common Kenyan to comprehend issues and make a decision. If you have six issues and you are telling them to make a decision, what is the problem?”

He said experts can package the sections of the BBI that go together, suggesting it could be divided on the basis of the changes to the Legislature, the Judiciary, Parliament, Executive, devolution, and the proposed 70 constituencies.

He cited cases he said were happening in Liberia, New Zealand, Switzerland, Peru, and the United States which he cited as those that have done multiple-choice referenda.

“It is not something far-fetched,” he said.

Divisive referendum

“The position I have taken is that a referendum is possible, that we can have a win-win outcome that we do not need have a divisive referendum…As a deputy president, I have a duty to do everything in my power to ensure Kenyans travel together.”

Citing instances of Covid-19 infection and deaths and the economic burdens that come with it, the DP reiterated his position that the referendum be held alongside the 2022 General Election.

“Kenyans are asking themselves are we mad? Why hold a referendum now instead of 2022? We have debts, people are losing jobs, parents do not know where to get [school] fees next year, NHIF is not paying bills….Surely, let us be serious,” he said.

He defended his defence of the Judiciary independence given his comments after the Supreme Court nullified the presidential election in 2017.

“An independent Judiciary is good for me whether I am in government or the opposition,” said Dr Ruto.

He insisted that President Kenyatta shares with him his vision of a united country.

“The President is my boss and my friend. These are things we have shared. I can tell you without fear of contradiction that he shares with me the hope of a united country,” he said.

-Nation


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Health

KQ loses second pilot to Covid-19 in London

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

The national carrier Kenya Airways has lost another pilot to Covid-19.

Captain Salah Salim Jeizan, 57, died at a London hospital on Wednesday, the airline’s chief human resources officer Evelyne Munyoki said in a condolence message.

Captain Jeizan flew to London’s Heathrow Airport on November 7 from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport but developed difficulties in breathing while in a London hotel.

Jeizan was rushed to the hospital from his hotel room and put on oxygen.

According to Ibrahim Johnny, a close colleague, the deceased will be buried on Thursday in London under the Islamic law.

Captain Jeizan joined the national carrier in 2001 as a junior pilot and rose through the ranks to his last position as a senior captain on the Boeing 787 fleet.

He flew to different international destinations in Europe, US and the Middle East.

“On behalf of the board of directors, the management and staff of Kenya Airways, we join the family of the late captain Jeizan in mourning their beloved one and pray that the almighty God will strengthen them during this time of sorrow,” KQ said in a statement.

In April Kenya lost its first captain, Daudi Kibati, days after commandeering a flight that evacuated Kenyans stranded in the US after the outbreak of Covid-19.

The captain was taken ill on March 29 after returning from New York and he died on April 1.

By NN


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Special Offer: Own one starting at Ksh 3.7M


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2020 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending