Connect with us


Another Kenyan runner banned for doping



Kenya’s Vincent Kipsegechi Yator, who survived a nasty accident to finish third at Honolulu Marathon last year, has been given a four-year ban after violating anti-doping rules.

World Athletics’ Athletes Integrity Unit (AIU) had suspended Yator on October 2 last year after having tested positive to a banned substance.

Yator’s urine sample taken on July 7, 2019 during the Gold Coast Marathon had the presence of Prednisone, Prednisolone and metabolites of testosterone, which are banned substances.

Yator, 30, had claimed a personal best when finishing fourth in 2:09:59 at the Gold Coast Marathon, three months after a seventh place (2:10:02) finish in Vienna City Marathon.

Yator had during the Kenya Police Service Championships on July 11 last year, finished seventh in the men’s 10,000m race.

He won the National 5,000m title on his way to winning silver over the same distance at the Africa Championships in 2010 in Nairobi.

That saw him represent Africa at the Intercontinental Cup in Croatia.

The same year, Yator represented Kenya in 5,000m at the Delhi Commonwealth Games where he finished fourth.

Yator also claimed fourth place in 5,000m at the 2011 Maputo Africa Games and finished in a similar position, but in the 10,000m at the 2015 Congo Brazzaville African Games.

Yator flew the Kenyan flag as a junior, finishing sixth in 5,000m at the 2008 World Under-20 Championships.

Before claiming a third place in 2:15:31 in Honolulu on December 9, 2018, Yator had on October 28 settled 10th at the Frankfurt Marathon in 2:12:03.

He won the Kenya Police Service 10,000m titles in 2016 and 2017 and featured in the 10,000m trials for the 2016 Rio Olympics in Eldoret where he settled fifth.

On February 2018, Yator, who was preparing for Paris Half Marathon was involved in a nasty accident, while travelling back to Eldoret from Nairobi.

Yator was headed back to Eldoret after applying for his Schengen visa at the French embassy in Nairobi.

Yator was travelling with fellow road runner Francis Kiplagat, who had also been to the capital on a similar mission, though his was a visa application at the Embassy of China ahead of a marathon he’d programmed for China.

They tucked themselves in as their North Rift shuttle ran at full career through the night, past Kikopey, hurtling towards Nakuru at about 9pm on February 18 last year.

Then there was a loud bang, and then pitch darkness. Some of the passengers had died on impact, among them Kiplagat.

The injured were rushed to the St Mary’s hospital along the highway, with Yator later transferred to Nakuru, and then Eldoret.

Yator suffered three broken ribs and internal bleeding that saw him admitted at Eldoret’s Reale Hospital for about a week. Yator overcame the tragedy to finish third in Honolulu Marathon.

By Nation

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Accused in murder of boyfriend denied bail



A Nairobi woman accused of murdering her boyfriend of two years in a squabble over who would wash utensils after supper has been denied bail for failing to provide details of where she will be living upon release.

Susan Njeri Wachiuri, 25, wanted to be released on bail terms pending determination of the murder trial but Justice James Wakiaga noted that there was no evidence that she is not a flight risk.

“In the absence of documentary evidence that the accused has an alternative means of abode rather than the house of the deceased where the offense was committed, I am at this stage persuaded that it will be risky to release the accused on bond,” said Justice Wakiaga.

Ms Wachiuri is accused of stabbing Kelvin Njenga Ng’ang’a 11 times using a knife on April 9, 2020 at White House, Tena Estate area within Kamukunji in Nairobi County. She has since denied committing the offence.

In her bail application, Ms Wachiuri told court that she had a family who were very supportive and willing to accommodate her.

In opposing the release of the accused on bail, the prosecution said there was a rise in gender based violence amongst couples and therefore the accused should be denied bail in the interest of public order and security to act as deterrence.


Continue Reading


Paybill number for cash-strapped Gor Mahia



As a financial crisis bites through the local football scene, Gor Mahia chairman Ambrose Rachier has reached out to landlords of members of his team’s playing unit to exercise patience.

And in a related development, the 18-time Kenyan champions have, through Gor Mahia Augmentin Fund (GMAF), set up a Paybill number which members, supporters, and well-wishers can contribute money to the club in form of cash and ‘Bonga points.’

Bonga points is a loyalty scheme for all of Safaricom’s pre-paid and post-paid customers.

The points can be used to redeem prizes and goods at selected supermarkets.

Rachier has sought to strike a deal with the landlords of his players following consistent delay in rent payment by the players. This has been occasioned by financial crisis at the club that has caused salary delays.

“We have not paid salaries for five months,” Rachier said Wednesday.

“I keep writing to their landlords just to understand and I want to thank those landlords that have extended a good time for them (players) to be able to pay when we are able to pay,” he said.

Rachier spoke at an event where a section of club supporters and players, led by Lawrence Juma, Joakim Oluoch and Samuel Onyango as well as members of group called ‘Kulundeng original’ donated foodstuff worth Sh100,000 to the Fikisha Rehabilitation Centre.

The function was held at the Lutheran Centre in Kawangware, Nairobi.

Gor players each received a Sh10,000 monthly stipend from the government last week in a bid to cushion them from the effects of coronavirus pandemic which has paralysed football activities in the country.

Most of the Kenyan Premier League clubs have benefited from the scheme launched by the government in conjunction with various partners.

By Nation Sport

Continue Reading


How man survived in 60ft well for 13 days



A mentally challenged man from Gatituni village in Chuka, Tharaka-Nithi County has shocked many after surviving in a 60-foot well for 13 days without food.

Mr Royford Mugambi, 42, was retrieved from the well Wednesday evening.

He disappeared on the morning of May 22, 2020 while with his elderly mother who lives with him.

Speaking to journalists at their home on Thursday morning, Mr Henry Gitonga, Mr Mugambi’s elder brother, said they had been searching for him since his disappearance, even going to the Chuka County Referral Hospital mortuary.


He said the family had reported his disappearance to the administration and at Chuka Police Station and were almost losing hope of tracing him when he was discovered in the well.

Mr Gitonga said a neighbour, Mr John Mwenda, was working in a farm near the well when he heard someone calling and thought it was his father who was also working some meters away. But when he responded, his father said he had not called him.

Mr Mwenda continued with his work and then he heard the voice again. This time, the person called him by his name and when he trailed the direction of the voice, he noticed that the person was calling from the well and the soft voice sounded familiar; it was that of Mugambi.

He went close to the well and when he called out, Mugambi responded and asked for some water.


“After confirming that it was Mugambi who had disappeared for some days, Mwenda rushed and informed his father before proceeding to our home and broke the shocking news,” said Mr Gitonga.

He said they all ran to the well, which had been dug many years back by the owner of the farm who was looking for water, and confirmed that it was his brother.

He hurriedly looked for a ladder, tied it with a rope and dropped it to the well.

He said they asked him to hold firm to the ladder as they pulled him out.


Mr Gitonga said they struggled to remove him because he was very weak, making it difficult for him to hold onto the ladder. When he came out, he asked for water.

“His body was pale, completely emaciated and totally confused when he came out,” he said.

The family called a doctor from Chuka County Referral Hospital who advised them to give him a glucose solution and some milk for a few days before introducing him to porridge and later soft food.

The villagers said they suspected the man had been taking some water since when he came out his clothes were wet, suggesting that the well had some water.

They termed the incident as miracle, saying they would hold a thanksgiving ceremony later


Continue Reading


error: Content is protected !!