Connect with us

News

New faces of hope amid virus crisis, but where is Lydia?

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Brenda Ivy Cherotich and Brian Orindi have become the faces of hope as the coronavirus continues to rock Kenya and the world.

The duo, who made their first public appearance on Wednesday, were the second and the third persons to beat the virus that has so far claimed more than 47,500 lives across the globe.

The first patient to recover from Covid-19 in Kenya is a woman with both Kenyan and British citizenship, only identified as Lydia.

Unlike Brenda and Brian, Lydia’s recovery was not publicised by the Kenyan government.

Her triumph did not receive applause from President Kenyatta, Health

Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe and Kenyans at large.

But why? Sources told the Nation that Lydia, who has maintained a low profile since her discharge, was not co-operative since she was suspected of contracting the virus.

She arrived in Kenya on the same plane from London as Brenda on March 5 and landed at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi.

The woman is said to have initially tried to run from the Ministry of Health officials after she was identified as close contact of Brenda.

“She arrived in the country on the same flight from London as the first patient and gave the ministry a tough time when they called her to come for testing,” said the source.

READ ALSO:   Story of Coronavirus patient who recovered raises many questions among Kenyans

‘‘She lied about her location and refused to answer calls.’’ Lydia was tracked down by the National Intelligence Service (NIS) to a hotel in Nairobi and was picked up by the police.

A source who spoke to the Nation on condition of anonymity said police took her to the Kenyatta National Hospital Infectious Diseases Unit where she was tested.

After confirming she was positive, health officials looked for close to 50 contacts who came to contact with her.

Lydia was released from isolation at the Kenyatta National Hospital last week and since then efforts to reach her have been futile.

The Nation has tried on several occasions to reach her but calls and text messages have gone unanswered.

It is not clear whether Lydia travelled back to London before Kenya suspended all international flights.

47,500 The death toll from the coronavirus pandemic across the globe.

By Daily Nation


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Swahili news anchor Harith Salim joins K24 months after losing his job

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

When God is on your side, nothing can go a stray or rather nothing will ever come in your way.

Former NTV Swahili journalist Harith Salim knows this perfectly well, especially after seeing God’s hand in his career.

The news anchor has landed a new job at K24, TUKO.co.ke has learnt.

The new opportunity came barely a year after the well-spoken news anchor was sacked from NTV, a station he had worked for, for years.

Well, after staying in the cold for months, God finally shone light on Harith’s path and he found himself a new job at the Mediamax Limited.

The news anchor shared the good news with his fans through his social media pages on Tuesday, December 1.

Harith shared a photo showing K24’s logo and did not add any caption.

He followed it up with a video showing the production room at K24 followed by;

”Mmmmmmh,”

His posts impressed and inspired many people specifically his fans who camped on the comments sections to congratulate him.

Many people held God will never leave his people alone in times of trouble and will always make a way.

TUKO.co.ke earlier reported how Harith, alongside other top journalists were fired from NTV in mid 2020.

READ ALSO:   Story of Coronavirus patient who recovered raises many questions among Kenyans

Harith did not make public his quandaries but his counterparts such as Ken Mijungu came out to reveal about the firing.

“The axe fell NTV newsroom and I was on its way. 7 years in those corridors summed up in a two page letter of termination. We live to fight another day. Thanks to God, He remains the greatest, thank you NTV Kenya for the opportunity and thank you for always staying tuned,”Mijungu said.

Among people who were shown the door include Debarl Ainea, Brenda Wanga (reporter), Sharon Baranga (reporter) and Shaban Ulaya (Head of Swahili), Lillian Kiarie (business reporter) and Silas Apollo (political reporter).

by Tuko.co.ke


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Villagers gift Uhuru with heifer for appointing Yatani to Cabinet

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Residents of Hurri Hills in North Horr Sub-County have donated a fat heifer to President Uhuru Kenyatta as an appreciation for appointing Ukur Yatani to the Cabinet.

Speaking during a tree-planting ceremony at Hurri Hills Primary School on Friday that was graced by Environment CS Keriako Tobiko, the villagers heaped praise on President Uhuru Kenyatta for his kind gestures to the county.

They considered appointment of their son Yatani to the National Treasury docket as a superlative honour by the Head of State  to the pastoralist community.

Hersi Ibrahim praised President Kenyatta’s administration, which he said has endeared itself to the region that was once marginalised for many years.

Labour Cabinet Secretary Ukur Yatani during a media briefing at his office on March 06, 2019. PHOTO | NATION

National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Ukur Yatani.

Salaton Njau | Nation Media Group

“We appeal to you CS Tobiko to take both our greetings and this token of appreciation to our beloved President Uhuru Kenyatta for his love for us,’’ Mzee Ibrahim said.

He said the cordial relations between CS Yatani and the President have seen Marsabit County improve economically since the time Yatani served as the county’s first governor.

READ ALSO:   Story of Coronavirus patient who recovered raises many questions among Kenyans

He also thanked the Head of State for granting North Horr — one of the biggest constituencies in the country —  two other districts namely Turbi and Dukana.

Further, they thanked the Jubilee administration for the planned tarmacking of more than 196km of roads from Marsabit town to North Horr, then to Loiyangalani.

A group of the residents sang and danced gleefully as they presented the heifer, whose head was garbed in a pretty ribbon, to CS Tobiko, who will present the gift to the President.

Maikona MCA Bukhe Diba praised CS Yatani as a pillar and role model to all pastoralist communities. He praised his hard work, professionalism and selfless love for his community.

He also expressed gratitude for the appointment of another local (Mamo Boru Mamo) as the Director-General of the National Environment Management Authority (Nema).

“We have never felt this honoured by previous regimes,” Mr Diba said.

By Nation.africa


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Business

How top-level meeting allowed Radisson hotel to block Arboretum road

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Arboretum park lane has become the latest public road to have a barrier erected, much to the chagrin of many Nairobi residents.

Anyone who wishes to access the Nairobi Arboretum park, Kenya Forest Service, State House, State House Primary School, Kenya Girl Guides Association, Jabali Elementary School as well as the Radisson Blu hotel will have to pass through the Arboretum park lane.

The erection of the barrier left Nairobi Senator Johnson Sakaja seething with rage. And he registered his disapproval on social media.

“The Nairobi Arboretum is a public space that many Nairobians enjoy. The road leading up to it is also a public road. A private entity (Radisson) has put up a barrier on this public road where members of the public are screened. I have asked @NMS_Kenya to deal ASAP,” Sakaja wrote on Twitter.

He then warned Radisson hotel to remove the barrier.

Nation.Africa can, however, confirm that the barrier was erected after meetings of stakeholders and the Westlands sub-county security team.

Arboretum park lane has become the latest public road to have a barrier erected.

Amina Wako | Nation Media Group

The stakeholders, who included State House, Kenya Forest Service Arboretum, Jabali Elementary, Kenya Girl Guides Association, National Police Service and Radisson Blu requested to have the barrier erected for security reasons.

The conversation to have the barrier started after the January 2019 DusitD2 complex attack.

READ ALSO:   Story of Coronavirus patient who recovered raises many questions among Kenyans

The boda-boda operators who camped outside the Arboretum entrance waiting for or dropping clients visiting the park also worried them.

As the conversation was going on, in July 2019, an intruder was shot and injured after he climbed over one of the State House gates.

The need to have a barrier became even more urgent.

So, they contacted the Kenya Urban Roads Authority (Kura) and they were allowed to erect the barrier.

“We are aware of the barrier. We allowed it there because of the security reasons raised by the stakeholders. Remember it is not a throughway, so it is important to know who goes in and comes out to avoid incidents like the State House intruder,” John Cheboi, the chief corporate communications officer at Kura, said.

Thereafter, the stakeholders, through Leisure Park Development Limited — the mother company of Radisson Blu Hotel — on December 10, 2019, wrote to Nairobi City County about the proposed erection of the security barrier.

And, on January 17 this year, the county replied granting permission for the work to begin.

“Authority to erect 1 No. security barrier to serve Plot L.R. No. 1870/X/106 on Arboretum Drive is hereby granted to you subject to compliance with the following conditions…” the letter, signed on February 17, 2020 by the Nairobi Chief Officer, Roads, Public Works and Transport, Eng. F.N. Karanja, read in part.

READ ALSO:   Story of Coronavirus patient who recovered raises many questions among Kenyans

The council also acknowledged receiving Sh10,000 inspection fees for the work.

The work was, however, postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic, which was first reported in Kenya in March this year.

What followed next was government restrictions to curb the spread of the virus.

According to Edward Momanyi, the Food and Beverage Manager at Radisson Blu, the Sub-County Security Committee visited the hotel in September and spelt out conditions for erecting the barrier.

“The team, led by Westlands Deputy County Commissioner Mwai Gicheru, visited the area in September. They cited the conditions as a bulletproof guard booth, two armed police officers, and two security guards,” Mr Momanyi told Nation.Africa.

Because of the cost implications, the stakeholders met again on November 11, 2020, at the hotel.

“We invited everyone around this area including State House. We discussed the cost of setting up the barrier, bulletproof guard booth, two armed police officers and two security guards and how it would be shared among ourselves,” Mr Momanyi said.

But council warned that should any member of the public or residents along the Arboretum park lane object to the erection of the barrier, the barrier will be removed.

“That you be required to bind yourselves to the conditional clause of removing the barrier should the Nairobi City County receive reasonable objection to the barrier from one or more area residents or other members of the public,” the letter read in part.

READ ALSO:   Story of Coronavirus patient who recovered raises many questions among Kenyans

“You shall indemnify the Nairobi City County against any litigation that may arise as a result of these works,” read one of the nine conditions set by Nairobi City County.

“This approval is valid if the works commence and are completed within three months,” it further said.

Arboretum becomes the latest public road to have obstacles.

In September this year, Muthaiga Residents Association mounted a roadblock restricting access to the suburb by boda-boda operators, commercial vehicles and pedestrians.

An email from the association’s secretariat, dated September 22, said the move was due to security reasons.

“No motorbikes and commercial vehicles are allowed to enter Main Muthaiga Road from Oil Libya Plaza, Kiambu Road and from Mini Muthaiga Round-about including house-helps, construction site employees,” read the email signed by Christine Chiriba, for the secretariat.

Further, residents were asked to provide details of their employees, including job card or a letter indicating the name of the staffer, ID number, plot or house number, employer and their contact number.

In 2014, the county assembly moved a motion to remove barriers erected on public roads by the Runda Residents Association.

by Nationafrica


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Special Offer: Own one starting at Ksh 3.7M


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2020 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending